Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 03-19-2006, 12:08 PM   #41
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

It was cut short yesterday because of rain....just went three miles at a very solid clip. Today, I'll get out and run...wheather permitting. If not, I'll just make today my day off and run tomorrow instead.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2006, 12:14 PM   #42
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedays
Problem with me is I actually lose weight (hyperactive metabolism) if I don't work out so it's hard for me to tell when I'm really out of shape.

hhhmmm.....on behalf of many of us here. Suck it.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 04:59 PM   #43
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
hhhmmm.....on behalf of many of us here. Suck it.
Haha...well until I get down to a +2.3 I'll take any advantage I can get.

What's the latest news Murph?
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 05:38 PM   #44
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of
Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
Well since this thread is about accountability someone other than murph should bump it. Thus i am bumping it. How goes the running murph?
When he didn't update the thread for a while, I thought he quit or got injured or something. I wouldn't want to bump the thread and then embarass him, if he wasn't able to run.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:03 PM   #45
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I went the 4 mile routine today...with walking the lap in between each mile... It's coming along nicely. I actually found a track relatively close to my house, ...so, that'll help. But, I spent the majority of my day digging holes for trees....
Old 03-20-2006, 09:43 PM   #46
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Good job murph. I'd be puking at the mile.

Man....digging tree holes sucks.

Last edited by Drbio; 03-20-2006 at 09:44 PM.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 09:04 AM   #47
Murphy3
Guru

you're telling me...I got about a half foot down for one of the holes and then I hit rock....not a rock, but rock.... so, I busted out the sledge hammerand went to town. It was literally a foot thick... I'm not sure how far it extended because I only needed to clear enough for my foot and a half deep with 48 inch diameter hole... but, let's just say that I spent about three hours on one hole....
Old 04-12-2006, 11:22 AM   #48
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Are you still running murph?
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 11:48 AM   #49
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Murph and this stupid thread actually made me get back out on the tennis courts... I have been playing at the Summit, (our local gym), Monday-Thursday and have my serve faster than it has ever been. Of course I am out of shape so that sucks and hinders the rest of my game... Keep motivating me Murph and I might somehow get back down to only 10 pounds overweight!
Old 04-12-2006, 11:55 AM   #50
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

I have never played tennis. I am quick side to side and have good hand eye coordination so i would seem to have the basic tools so at some point i want to play it but ive just never really had the time.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:57 AM   #51
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

tennis rocks the soft white man's world!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 11:57 AM   #52
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

I played tennis in highschool and was descent, but nothing special. It was fun and I actually played a game a few months back.. My father in law is a huge Tennis player. he plays everyday at his country club. He is really good too.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:01 PM   #53
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I have never played tennis. I am quick side to side and have good hand eye coordination so i would seem to have the basic tools so at some point i want to play it but ive just never really had the time.
Tennis is actually my favorite sport to play. I have played them all for leisure and most competitively during high school, but tennis is really fun because other than golf/track it was pretty much the only sport where you were on your own.

It is great cardio and very tough to master. I have been playing since I was 9-10 and I still have shots I can't get down consistenly, (one-hand passing backhand, topspin lob in opposite corner, deep kick serve, etc...). I highly recommend you give it a try. If you are anywhere near Temple I would be happy to give you a lesson!
Old 04-12-2006, 12:03 PM   #54
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightmkw
I played tennis in highschool and was descent, but nothing special. It was fun and I actually played a game a few months back.. My father in law is a huge Tennis player. he plays everyday at his country club. He is really good too.
Well I certainly wasn't GREAT, but I was MVP for my school a couple of times, (3-A), and made regionals. Fun stuff!
Old 04-12-2006, 12:04 PM   #55
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
tennis rocks the soft white man's world!
Your momma didn't think I was soft BIOTCH!
Old 04-12-2006, 12:47 PM   #56
Murphy3
Guru

Tennis is awesome...one of my favorite sports to play (even though I haven't picked up a racket in 5 years). I also played 3A tennis.... Finished second in district three times and 4th once.

Yeah, I'm still running. I'm thinking that I'll begin to stretch things out in May. I'll probably go after my first 10-12 mile run in awhile sometime next month.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:06 PM   #57
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
Tennis is awesome...one of my favorite sports to play (even though I haven't picked up a racket in 5 years). I also played 3A tennis.... Finished second in district three times and 4th once.

Yeah, I'm still running. I'm thinking that I'll begin to stretch things out in May. I'll probably go after my first 10-12 mile run in awhile sometime next month.
Murph,

Where did you go for regional play? We were always shipped to Odessa! Who did you play for?
Old 04-12-2006, 03:53 PM   #58
Five-ofan
Guru

My best friends little sister (who is like my little sister since i have known their family forever) is really good at tennis. She just won district(4a). She will probably lose in regionals to a girl from highland park(my hs always loses/lost to hp in regionals) just because that is what happens but i went to see their match the other day and i have a question. What is the deal with calling your own lines? That is straight up bs. Could you imagine basketball games where people called their own fouls(other than pickup games) or football where people could call their own penalties? Geez you would think they could get a ref.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:58 PM   #59
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

thats how it is in highschool tennis. unless you get to the finals. too expensive to hire line judges for every tennis match for every school.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:33 PM   #60
Murphy3
Guru

Five-0, I never had a problem with anyone calling their own lines....never.

Male, I went to Regionals out in Commerce. One of my second place finishes was as a Freshman..I was playing on JV then...
Old 04-12-2006, 07:34 PM   #61
Murphy3
Guru

The whole running thing will be taking a back seat for a week or so. I had a little incident that left me one tooth short of a full mouth today....Unfortunately, I wasn't able to recover the tooth and will have to have an implant. I haven't been able to stop the bleeding just yet...and not to supposed to do anything for a few days that will raise my heart rate...don't want to go through the whole blood clotting process again..this is as painful as hell.

Last edited by Murphy3; 04-12-2006 at 07:35 PM.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:09 PM   #62
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

I told you about beating up on homeless guys, they get cranky and fight back sometimes.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:11 PM   #63
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Hey Murph, how much weight have you lost since you started?
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 10:17 AM   #64
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Five-0, I never had a problem with anyone calling their own lines....never.

Male, I went to Regionals out in Commerce. One of my second place finishes was as a Freshman..I was playing on JV then...
Yeah, I have only had one set be an issue and if you are having problems with a guy you can tell the tournament director and they will bring someone over. I had to do this once with a guy that couldn't return my serve so he kept calling it long and it was hitting the line. We brought a guy over and needless to say, I had a few more aces than I would have without the help. That was my only issue though and I played all 4 years in HS too.

Murph, you never said what school you played for... I was on varsity all 4 years, but we didn't have a very deep team until my junior year.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:18 AM   #65
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
The whole running thing will be taking a back seat for a week or so. I had a little incident that left me one tooth short of a full mouth today....Unfortunately, I wasn't able to recover the tooth and will have to have an implant. I haven't been able to stop the bleeding just yet...and not to supposed to do anything for a few days that will raise my heart rate...don't want to go through the whole blood clotting process again..this is as painful as hell.
I'm sorry to hear that. When you started talking shit I just went on instincts man... I didn't mean to actually knock the tooth out of your head! How are your ribs?

Old 04-13-2006, 03:40 PM   #66
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13
Hey Murph, how much weight have you lost since you started?
I'm at 210. I haven't decided where I want to be yet. I suppose 200-205.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:55 PM   #67
raefformvp
Golden Member

raefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant future

Quote:
I took tennis at SFA and made a C. (In my defense, I was in a wreck that year and missed quite a few classes, therefore dropping my grade.) My name is Tracy, and it just so happens I married a man with the last name Austin. (I've probably given away too much information here!) Anyway, I can't tell you how many people think they are the first person to ask if I play tennis. It gets quite old. My answer has become automatic. I say, "Do I look like a play tennis? I took it college and got a C. Does that tell you anything?" I'd go back to my maiden name, but it's German and longer.

my boy cheering on the Mavs with his Mavs maraca and wearing his Jason Terry headband.
raefformvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 09:01 PM   #68
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by raefformvp
I'd go back to my maiden name, but it's German and longer.
Tracy...Nowitzki?
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 09:03 PM   #69
raefformvp
Golden Member

raefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedays
Tracy...Nowitzki?
That seriously made me laugh out loud! Don't I wish!!

my boy cheering on the Mavs with his Mavs maraca and wearing his Jason Terry headband.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:03 PM   #70
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

Tracy, my friend works with a teacher who dates Dirk... and you are a teacher. Hmmm...?

If I may highjack the thread: I've made it up to 6 miles at a stretch these past couple of weeks, but usually keeping it to about 3 miles a run. 20 miles a week is my typical goal, but I've slacked on the weight lifting recently.

I haven't lost more weight at all since I started the running, but my new "skinny pants" are already getting lose again. I've lost about 2 pants sizes and 3 dress sizes (a little slow to lose the bootay). I've been at this 90 days, and June 1st is 45+ days away, so I'm curious to see what happens from here - how I may improve. I did well on the Feb run (it was freezing rain), so that was inspiring.

Tip: Don't eat a bunch of grapes within an hour after a run that was significantly longer than usual! I thought I had morning sickness.

Last edited by Smiles; 04-14-2006 at 12:09 PM.
Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 04:44 PM   #71
raefformvp
Golden Member

Dirk is dating a teacher? That's awesome!

And you are awesome! I want to get into my skinny pants again. I'm so far away from those that I don't know if there's hope, but reading about your success has given me a glimmer. Keep up the good work!

Old 10-01-2006, 05:34 PM   #72
Murphy3
Guru

I fell short yesterday.... made it a little over 24 miles before having to call it quits. I'll give it a month before attempting it again. The weather was just a little too warm. It was nice when I started the process, but it was too damn hot be the time I got around the 16-17 mile mark.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:40 PM   #73
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
I fell short yesterday.... made it a little over 24 miles before having to call it quits. I'll give it a month before attempting it again. The weather was just a little too warm. It was nice when I started the process, but it was too damn hot be the time I got around the 16-17 mile mark.
Did you jog the whole 24 miles or did you run walk it? 24 miles is pretty darn impressive either way.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:42 PM   #74
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

That's nothing 5-0... I ran to Abilene twice last week.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:11 AM   #75
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Did you jog the whole 24 miles or did you run walk it? 24 miles is pretty darn impressive either way.
I went the 26 miles...but only ran the first 24.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:25 AM   #76
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
I went the 26 miles...but only ran the first 24.
quite impressive. What was your time?
Old 10-02-2006, 08:22 AM   #77
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

used to run 6 miles 4-5 times a week?

how did you ever have that much time??

Im lucky if I can stick 2 miles in 3 times a week.

hows it going?
Old 10-02-2006, 07:38 PM   #78
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
quite impressive. What was your time?
Time is unimportant...

Isn't that what people say when they're going slow? Let's just say that I was averaging around an 8 minute mile. I thought it'd be nice to take a nice, slow pace...but, next time, I think I'll speed it up a good 20 seconds a mile to get it done a little faster.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:40 PM   #79
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Time is unimportant...

Isn't that what people say when they're going slow? Let's just say that I was averaging around an 8 minute mile. I thought it'd be nice to take a nice, slow pace...but, next time, I think I'll speed it up a good 20 seconds a mile to get it done a little faster.
8 minutes a mile for 24 miles is nothing to sneeze at. that would be about 3 and a half hours if you did that for the full 26 miles(3:28) thats quite a nice time.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:53 PM   #80
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Heck Murphy.... I barely break 8 minutes when I run 8 miles. Good job.

Tags
how about these nuts, murphy3