Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 08-05-2003, 03:46 PM   #1
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default King Keon traded for future 2nd rounder

Kings trade Clark to Utah Jazz for future second-round draft pick

By Bee Sports Staff
Published 1:24 p.m. PDT Tuesday, August 5, 2003

The Sacramento Kings on Tuesday traded forward Keon Clark and two future second-round draft picks to the Utah Jazz for one future second-round pick, The Bee has learned.
The cost-cutting move will save the Kings approximately $5 million from the 2003-04 payroll. However, it leaves the Kings with only 10 players under contract for next season. The cost-cutting move will allow the Kings some cap room to go after free agent guard Jim Jackson.

Clark played just one season with the Kings after signing as a free-agent with the Kings last August. Clark started in 11 of the 80 games he played for Sacramento, averaging 6.7 points per game and 5.60 rebounds per game.

The highlight of his season may have come on Feb. 4 in Dallas where he made a spectacular one-handed dunk off a Hedo Turkoglu miss with 16.5 seconds left for a 110-109 win over the Mavericks. He scored 17 points and had eight rounds in the game.

Three weeks later at Arco Arena, Clark made a put-back after an air-ball by Mike Bibby with 0.4 seconds left to again beat the Mavericks 126-124.

Utah will be Clark's fourth team since entering the NBA as the 13th overall pick by Denver in the 1998 draft. He was traded to the Toronto Raptors after two and a half seasons with the Nuggets.

Blockbuster Free Agent Aquistion of the Year: 2002-03

Old 08-05-2003, 03:50 PM   #2
one long blue sock
Golden Member

one long blue sock will become famous soon enough
Default King Keon and 2 picks traded for future Utah 2nd rounder

I guess Utah has to thank pot in this case [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-05-2003, 03:58 PM   #3
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: King Keon and 2 picks traded for future Utah 2nd rounder

ok, i'm not the biggest fan of keon, but geez... not a bad deal. (except for the $5 million part)
Old 08-05-2003, 04:11 PM   #4
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all

The Sacramento Kings on Tuesday traded forward Keon Clark and two future second-round draft picks to the Utah Jazz for one future second-round pick.

WOW!!! So let me get this right. The kings Traded Clark, a 2nd round pick, and another 2nd round pick for only (1) 2nd round pick? Sheesh

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

These are things that I read and live by!
Ummmmm Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 04:14 PM   #5
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

can you say salary and cruddy player dump?
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 04:18 PM   #6
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

It's lucky for the Kings that Petrie didn't have to include any 1st rounders in this deal to bribe the Jazz into taking Keon...

Also, I think the King's aquisition of the "Bigger, more skilled Najera" Darius Songhaila, probably made Keon very expendible..
Old 08-05-2003, 04:23 PM   #7
Mavs_Rule2003

Mavs_Rule2003 is on a distinguished road

OK now they only have 10 people? gees! now they are gonna hunt our target again. And cuban will cry out again saying that he had deals "done" before his targets are taken by Sacramento this time!

My prediction is that they are going to put their hands on Raja. or might resign JJ. or may stepania. Interesting. they need to fill 5 more players. we need to fill 3. and not that many players left out there to sign. ANd that makes Raja valueable there.
Mavs_Rule2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 04:25 PM   #8
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

if they sign raja, that will definitely bite us in the butt.
Old 08-05-2003, 04:46 PM   #9
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

I wouldn't worry about any possible repurcussions of this trade...

This is a cost-cutting move, pure and simple. The Maloofs approved the trade to aquire hugely expensive Brad Miller, but now that the Kings have just about $23 million per year wrapped up in Miller and Bibby, they are just selling whatever remained of their dwindling depth in trying to desperately minimize their luxury tax hit. The trade happened because the Kings didn't want to pay the roughly $8 million in specie that keeping Keon on the payroll required (particularly when they have a cheapo forward like Songhaila who can play his minutes), and they had to bribe the under-the-cap Jazz to take him off of their roster by giving away draft picks...

Of course, the Kings will probably sign Jimmy Jackson again, but my sense is that they are waiting until the end of the Summer so they can try to low-ball him on another one year deal...

There is just no way in heck, that this Kings team would ever, ever think about trying to outbid the Mavs for a guy like Raja...

This whole thing is about the Maloofs making money, not Petrie improving the King's talent, and it absolutely, positively doesn't have anything to do with a Kings recruitment of Raja Bell...
Old 08-05-2003, 05:00 PM   #10
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Ummmmm Ok

WOW!!! So let me get this right. The kings Traded Clark, a 2nd round pick, and another 2nd round pick for only (1) 2nd round pick? Sheesh
Ha Ha!
"We'll give you a second round pick if you take Keon Clark."

Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 06:04 PM   #11
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Good move by both teams. Utah picks up a decent big man and an extra 2nd round pick (plus remain under the cap for next year). Sacramento gets rid of a player who would not help them this year and they also save some money.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 07:22 PM   #12
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Plus, all those mormons now have a new pot outlet. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 08:43 PM   #13
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
Plus, all those mormons now have a new pot outlet. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
LOL
Old 08-06-2003, 08:43 AM   #14
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Keon being banished to the afro-wasteland that is Utah. Even Dirk knows that Utah is a terrible city.

What a collosal bust Keon was for the Kings. The Maloofs had to give another team draft choices just to take his overpaid journeyman ass off their books. To think that this board was filled this time last year with people calling for Cuban's head because he let Keon go to the Kings. Looks like a good decision now doesn't it?

Where are all the Keon lovers? Anyone want to speak up? I remember who you are.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 08:43 AM   #15
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Double post

Question - who will be the starting center on the Jazz next year? If it were up to me, I'd start Tag.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 12:41 PM   #16
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

So your just going to give away Keon Sac? Thats find by me. The Kings are starting to look less and less deep this year than they were before. I hear JJ is signing with the T-Wolves? I though the whole reason to dump Keon was to resign JJ atleast thats what I read somewhere.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 01:41 PM   #17
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

A lot of the King's fans have been claiming that Sac traded Keon to facilitate a resigning of Jimmy Jackson, but they are dead wrong.

Sacramento is still over the salary cap and they still possess their full MLE. Trading away Keon does absolutely nothing that allows Sacramento to pay Jackson a higher salary, or allow them to retain him without "paying double" because of the luxury tax. After locking up monstrous amounts of long-term money in Webber, Bibby, and now Miller, the Maloof brothers have shown very clearly over the last year that they are not interested in signing players in luxury tax land, unless they offer an indisputable upgrade in talent- and the vaunted depth of the Kings is being sacrificed on that altar of thrift...

If my guess is right, for precisely the kinds of salary cap reasons that prompted Sac to bribe Utah to get Keon off of their roster, Petrie is going to continue to wait and see what kind of offers Jackson actually gets before trying to lowball him, late in the Summer, with the paltriest one year deal they can get away with.

The Keon trade was fostered by the Maloofs dislike of paying the luxury tax, and the King's attitude toward resigning Jackson is the same...
Old 08-06-2003, 09:28 PM   #18
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Even still why would they resign jackson, Gerald Wallace is probably a better fit at the three.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 09:44 PM   #19
BRIAN27

BRIAN27 is on a distinguished road

How does this trade work under the CBA? I thought the money had to match up.
BRIAN27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 10:08 PM   #20
MFFL
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: BRIAN27
How does this trade work under the CBA? I thought the money had to match up.
It would have to if both teams were over the salary cap. But since the team who is receiving the salary is under the cap (Jazz) then it is fine.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:45 AM   #21
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Driving to work, the following thought popped into my head: The Kings also acquired a $5M traded player exception.

If things get dicey for them, they could use this to pull off one hell of a trade. I don't know when traded player exceptions expire.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 11:16 AM   #22
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Psychedelic Fuzz is on a distinguished road

Seems to me the window of oppertunity for the kings to win a title is closing. The Kings had a couple of stars but the scariest thing about them was that they had insane depth. Now pollard, hedo, and keon (who cost us two games against the kings last year) are gone. They've signed miller who has to adjust to the west, which means vlade's minutes will be down and he will likely be out the door after this year.

Given that we did eliminate last year's deeper kings from the playoffs (and had already scored 80 points in a half before Chris Weber went down) the kings don't worry me alot this year.

What do you guys think? Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part.

Psychedelic Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 03:13 PM   #23
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

Mandyahl will become famous soon enoughMandyahl will become famous soon enough

i am still worried about the kings, but the lakers and the spurs worry me a lot more.
Old 08-14-2003, 03:29 PM   #24
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

I dunno about the spurs, but definitely the lakers. Anyway, I think that despite all the dissappointments this off season, we have more reason to be optimistic than not.

Old 08-14-2003, 08:16 PM   #25
one long blue sock
Golden Member

Unless Dirk starts playing defense like Ben Wallace, I am scared of the Spurs, Lakers, Kings, and Wolves.
Old 08-14-2003, 09:23 PM   #26
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

We don't need dirk to play D like wallace (although it would be nice), all we need is a defensive/rebound minded center, one or two perimeter defenders (and howard may fit the bill) and a serious fire lit under raef and shawn's posteriors, and we are right back at the top.
Think Happy Thoughts!

Old 08-14-2003, 09:28 PM   #27
one long blue sock
Golden Member

Well how many decent centers are there that would make a big enough impact.

But still happy thoughts are swirling.
Old 08-14-2003, 09:55 PM   #28
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

that's the spirit!