Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 10-13-2004, 12:35 PM   #1
Rockets34Life

Rockets34Life is on a distinguished road
Default The Official NLCS Thread

Going for my 'Stros! Hope they can pull it out agains the Cards. I'd say Astros in 7.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:48 PM   #2
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: The Official NLCS Thread

You don't scan the section very well do you??? This thread was already created by Doc...
Old 10-13-2004, 01:58 PM   #3
Rockets34Life

Default RE:The Official NLCS Thread

My bad. Lock it up.
Old 10-13-2004, 03:15 PM   #4
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Or lock mine...no biggie.

The Cardinals have lost four consecutive game ones in NLCS series. Make it five. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 08:41 PM   #5
NYCdog

NYCdog will become famous soon enoughNYCdog will become famous soon enough

Interesting situation to watch here.....there is currently a rain delay in St Louie. Estimated time for first pitch has now been pushed back to 8:45 ET.

But there is a very good chance Game 2 might be rained out tonight......

If so, the game would likely be played tomorrow and Game 3 in Houston on Sat afternoon.

Who would a back-to-back with travel time mixed in between benefit more? My guess is not the Astros bullpen after last night's affair and with another youngster Pete Munro scheduled to pitch Game 2.

I hate to say it but.....right now, its must win time for bot teams. Houston cannot afford to go home down 0-2 in the series. St Louis cannot afford to split the first two games and lose home field advantage, with Games 3 and 4 in a rowdy Houston with there aces on the mound upcoming. If the Astros want a chance to win this series and advance to the Fall Classic, they have to win tonight and put St Louis's back against the wall.

Old 10-18-2004, 04:11 PM   #6
Rockets34Life

Update: 2-2. Hope the Astros can go into STL and kick some ass. Need to keep going w/ the Wheeler/Lidge combo. They have been dominating.
Old 10-18-2004, 04:35 PM   #7
AnMan21

AnMan21 will become famous soon enough

beltran has been simply amazing! 5 straight games with a HR, and 8 total Hr's in the playoffs! he's totally overshadowing berkman's stellar series. if the 'stros win tonight they'll be able to send a rested clemens to the mound in a possible game 7 showdown, or better yet, game 1 of the world series. they can't keep depending on the hr wave though, they're going to have to get decent bullpen help - and minus lidge, so far it's been awful!
AnMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 05:26 PM   #8
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

they showed the stat too where Pujols is batting like .626 for the playoffs... ridiculous

Scoobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 11:38 PM   #9
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

What a frickin' game. I love Baseball playoffs.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:44 PM   #10
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Amen to that... That will teach Tommy to walk Lance Berkman to pitch to Kent...

With the lineup on both sides, who saw a one hitter from BOTH teams going into the 9th???

What a game!
Old 10-18-2004, 11:45 PM   #11
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Who thinks this series ends in 6 and who guesses in 7???

Who wins???
Old 10-19-2004, 11:39 AM   #12
NYCdog

Most likely the Stros will have Clemens and Oswalt pitching 6 and 7. That's almost unbeatable. As unbeatable as if the Cards were headed to St Louis up 3 to 2.

The Cards will deal Morris in 6. If there is one pitcher the Astros hit partically hard, its Morris. So expect there offense to come out swinging.....that means probably another Beltran Bomb in the first. The Astros had Morris beat in game 2 with Pete Munro (who???) as the opposing pitcher. The Bullpen gave it away.

However, for a Clemens start, this might be enough to lead his hometown team to uncharted waters......there first World Series.

This series will end in 6. And I expect Oakland-style car filpping celebrations out of ghetto ole' H-Town soon thereafter.

Old 10-19-2004, 11:44 AM   #13
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Actually I hope that Phil holds off on pitching Clemens in game 6 and saves him for a possible 7th and decisive game... If you pitch Clemens early, you would have to turn around and pitch Oswalt early in the 7th... It would be much harder to beat Clemens, Oswalt AND Lidge in game 7, as I would throw all three at St. Louis if they beat Houston in game 6...

Houston has a great offense, and like you said, they can score on Morris... Give Munro another opportunity and give their good bullpen another chance to setup their world series rotation like they want to, (unlike this series)!!!
Old 10-19-2004, 12:33 PM   #14
NYCdog

M23D

I kinda agree with you here but......the having the mindset of "let's prepare for Game 7" when you have a chance of "going for the kill" in 6 is almost a having defeatist mentality.

Its very "Don Nelson-esq" some Mav fans would say here.

You have them down. You have the momentum in the series after the thrilling end to Game 5. Why give them momentum by not starting your best, possibly losing Game 6 and giving them momentum for game 7 in front of there home crowd.

Garner is old-school......he will "Go for the kill" tonight.......especially given the fact that he sees Morris is starting Game 6 and he knows what the Astros bats have done to him all season and series long.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:59 PM   #15
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

So you think me choosing to pitch Munro is me saying "Lets lose game 6 and prepare for game 7"???

If so, you are rather confused with my point... My point is why risk starting Clemens early and having him perform at 75% and lose the game and then have to pitch Oswalt early and have him perform at 75% when you could go at St. Louis with Munro at 100% and then Clemens, Oswalt and Lidge at 100% IF Munro can't get game 6!!! This is the same Munro that had the game won against St. Louis in game 2... You might look at his name and say: "who???", but you probably didnt expect 8 innings of 1-hit pitching from Backe either huh??? These Astros pitchers can each hold their own and if Garner is smart he will notice that and play this series accordingly!!!

That is NOT a defeatist attitude, it is simply not putting all your eggs in one basket!!!
Old 10-19-2004, 01:45 PM   #16
AnMan21

AnMan21 will become famous soon enough

i agree with you m23d - starting clemens in game 6 would be a mistake. you need him at 100% IF it goes to 7. if the 'stros close it out tomorrow, you can start clemens in game 1, oswalt in 2, and backe in 3. i like that rotation to open the world series against whoever it may be. plus if munro gets a win like backe had last night, that only boosts his confidence for the next series.
AnMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 02:11 PM   #17
Rockets34Life

I hope they pitch Munro for Game 6. Leave Clemens out for Game 7 if we lose out on Game 6.
Old 10-19-2004, 03:14 PM   #18
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

I have not heard one person from the major daily talk shows that thinks it is wise to pitch Clemens in game 6... Not one... It is definitely the smart move to go with Munro in game 6 and I just hope for the Astros' sake, (barring an unbelievable game from the Rocket on short rest), that Garner recognizes that!!!

Just like AnMan21 reiterated, if Munro wins, you have Clemens, Oswalt, Backe, and a very confident Munro again to start the first 4 games of the World Series!!! That looks pretty damn good to me!!!
Old 10-19-2004, 03:21 PM   #19
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

By the way, 71% of Baseball fans think that they should save the Rocket for game 7, (this is based off of an ESPN poll with a current tally of over 16,000 votes)!!!

I rest my case!!!
Old 10-19-2004, 05:57 PM   #20
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

It is nice to see that great minds think alike!!!

Link!

ESPN.com news services

ST. LOUIS -- Instead of going with Roger Clemens on short rest, the Houston Astros have chosen to start Pete Munro for Game 6 of the National League Championship Series against the Cardinals on Wednesday.

The Astros have won the last three games of the best-of-7 series to move within a victory of the first World Series appearance in the 43-year history of the franchise.

Munro started Game 2 of the NLCS on Thursday, allowing six hits and three runs in 4 2/3 innings of Houston's 6-4 loss at Busch Stadium.

Starting Munro on Wednesday allows the Astros to start Clemens on a regular schedule instead of on three days' rest, should the Cardinals win Game 6 to force Game 7 on Thursday. The Astros also would have the ability to use 20-game winner Roy Oswalt in relief for either of the final two games of the series.

"I think this is the best way to go and I think it's absolutely imperative that we do everything we can to win [Wednesday's] game," Astros manager Phil Garner said. "I think the best way to do that is to go with Pete."
Old 10-20-2004, 10:21 AM   #21
NYCdog

M23D

There was no arguement.....just a difference on how things should be done.

I agreed with you earlier that starting Munro and saving Clemens wasnt a bad idea except I would rather go for the kill.

Oh well, Morris is on the mound tonight. Given his record facing the Astros bats, the "Killer B's" better go for the kill tonight. If they do, it wont matter who is pitching......this series would be over.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:52 AM   #22
big_pth
Diamond Member

big_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to all

Old 10-20-2004, 04:24 PM   #23
Rockets34Life

Already 1-0. Hope my 'Stros keep the lead.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:38 PM   #24
Rockets34Life

Damn Pujols. 2-HR jack.
Old 10-21-2004, 02:29 PM   #25
Rockets34Life

Sorry ass Edmonds. Well, we got the Rocket going. Hopefully he'll pull us into the WS.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:24 PM   #26
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

That catch by Edmonds was beautiful. I am a big Stros fan and I have to admit that. Good grief....give the man his props on that catch. Wow!

Go Stros! 2-1 in the top of the fourth.....two on with no outs. Vizzy is up with Clemens next.....come bay-bee!
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 11:45 PM   #27
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

What a shame...

What a shame indeed!

Congratulations St. Louis
Old 10-22-2004, 02:02 AM   #28
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

That is a shame, but it makes my rooting loyalties for the World Series a lot easier. Go Sox GO!
Old 10-22-2004, 02:08 AM   #29
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Go Red SOX!!!

great last half of the season for the Stros!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 12:21 PM   #30
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Yes, I agree Ames... As it stands now, I want Boston to win to fully lift this curse talk...

With that said, St. Louis is a nice city and they have good fans, so my feelings would not truly be hurt if they won!