Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 01-27-2004, 05:07 PM   #1
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bad News for the NY Yankees!!!

I never think it is a good thing for a guy to get injured, but I must say, I am glad to see one more nail get hammered into Steinbrenner's coffin!!! This is turning out to be one of the worst offseasons in Yankee history... I cant stand his ass or the NY Yankees in general, which is the only reason this is good news to me!!! Hope you get well soon Boone, but I hope even more that the Yankees fail to make the playoffs!!!

Monday, January 26, 2004
Updated: January 27, 2:29 PM ET

ESPN.com news services
NEW YORK -- Yankees third baseman Aaron Boone injured his left knee playing basketball and might miss the season.

Boone was hurt Jan. 16 and may have torn his anterior cruciate ligament. He was examined three days later by Anaheim Angels team physician Dr. Lewis Yocum, and Boone informed the Yankees of the injury that night.

The extent of the injury will not be known until swelling subsides, and he has not yet been examined by Yankees' doctors.

Boone agreed Dec. 1 to a $5.75 million, one-year contract, and the contract contained language saying it would become nonguaranteed if he played basketball.

"Concerning his contract, I can confirm that there are certain prohibited activities, which include basketball," Cashman said.

If there is a complete tear, he would require reconstructive surgery that could keep him sidelined until 2005.

"We are currently evaluating the extent of the injury and expect to solicit multiple opinions before providing a complete diagnosis," general manager Brian Cashman said Monday.

The Yankees do not have a backup third baseman with full-time experience. Enrique Wilson and newly signed Miguel Cairo are options to fill the spot.

New York acquired Boone, who will turn 31 in March, from Cincinnati on July 31, and his 11th-inning homer off Boston's Tim Wakefield in Game 7 of the AL Championship Series won the pennant for the Yankees.

Boone is eligible for free agency after next season, and if the Yankees successfully converted the deal to a nonguaranteed contract, they could release him and be responsible for only 30 days' termination pay, about $942,000.

The Yankees had hoped minor leaguer Drew Henson would be an option at third this season, but the former University of Michigan quarterback struggled mightily in the Yankees' farm system and the trade for Boone signaled that New York did not think Henson would be ready for 2004.

Henson agreed to a $17 million, six-year contract with the Yankees in 2001. He hit .234 with 14 homers, 40 doubles and 78 RBI at Triple-A Columbus this season. But he also struck out 122 times and made 28 errors at third.

The Yankees and Henson's agent recently have had talks toward severing his ties with the team. The Houston Texans drafted Henson last year and hold his NFL rights until April. If Henson and the Yankees come to a resolution that would free him from his contract, it's expected that Henson would work out for teams (by invitation only) interested in trading for him.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:51 PM   #2
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Bad News for the NY Yankees!!!

man, that sucks. can't play basketball? strict contract.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:16 PM   #3
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all
Default RE:Bad News for the NY Yankees!!!

One of the worst offseasons in Yankee history?

Sorry, no.

Kevin Brown, Javier Vazquez for Roger Clemens and Andy Pettite. That is a wash, AT BEST, for the rest of the league. Brown and Vazquez are probably better at this point, IMO.

Two questions for you.

1. Do you really think the Yanks won't have someone BETTER than Aaron Boone when July 31st rolls around?

and

2. Do you really think they are not going to win the A.L. East?

The answer to both of those questions has got to be "no."

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 06:32 PM   #4
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

With the Yanks they will probably just call up a hot prospect from AAA. I don't think the Yankees are sweating to badly.

What really sucks for Boone is that he won't earn his guranteed money this year because his contract has a clause that prohibits him from playing pick-up basketball. Ya' think he's liking his agent for cutting that deal? Or is his agent hating him for risking his knees on a game of basketball?
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 08:30 PM   #5
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

That will turn out to be one of the most expensive Basketball games of all times ... Boone blew out his knee and a hell lot of money.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:10 PM   #6
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Basketball is evil. [img]i/expressions/devil.gif[/img]

I'm not liking the offseason of my team. I will believe the contrary when we get a good second base.

Old 01-28-2004, 10:14 AM   #7
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Hitman
One of the worst offseasons in Yankee history?

Sorry, no.

Kevin Brown, Javier Vazquez for Roger Clemens and Andy Pettite. That is a wash, AT BEST, for the rest of the league. Brown and Vazquez are probably better at this point, IMO.

You must be a Yankee fan. Only a Yankee fan would look at it this way. You actually think Brown and Vasquez can bring the "Big Game" experiance that you had with Clemens and Pettite? You need to put down the pipe now if you think so. The Yankees lost 3 of there starters from last year. A wash at best? gimme a break....

Two questions for you.

1. Do you really think the Yanks won't have someone BETTER than Aaron Boone when July 31st rolls around?

umm yes, they won't find anyone better, unless they trade. And why would anybody help those retards?

and

2. Do you really think they are not going to win the A.L. East?

umm yes again. The Boston Red Sox will win that division...mark it down, buddy. And I'm not even a Sox fan.

The answer to both of those questions has got to be "no."

Like I said, only a Yankee fans feel this way
Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 10:37 AM   #8
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Damn Hitman... You normally post good stuff... But this was as biased and ignorant of a post I have EVER seen from you...

The Yankees will NOT with their division this year... They also are NO WHERE NEAR as talented as they were last year... Give me a #%#$ break if you think any different!!!

We should get a poll going and I guarantee you that you would be in the minority with that ridiculous opinion!!!
Old 01-28-2004, 02:07 PM   #9
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Also Hitman, if you are indeed a drop-dead Yankees fan, I will ask you the same question I asked WayOutWest!!! What are you going to do in a few years when the rest of your staff retires or heavily drops in performance??? Brown, Williams, Mussina, Rivera, Sheffield, Sierra, etc... You have one HELLUVA veteran staff and in 2-3 years, I would venture to say that your lack of a farm system, (due to your idiotic owners dreams to trade every prospect for veteran talent), along with player retirements is going to land your team in the 50-80 win plateau!!! Sure it got you several championships, but your team will never be the American League's version of the Braves... You will peak, and fall VERY HARD AND FAST!!! Oh well, so long as your owner plans on having his payroll around the 4 billion mark, there is no reason to assume you guys wont have at least three or four overpaid 35-40 year old pitchers to help you win a few games!!!

Mark my word, the Yankees' demise starts THIS year, and they will worsen every year after this... Remember the Boggs/Mattingly days when the Yankees won as many games as the best NBA teams??? Well get ready for that, because your owner has put a bottleneck on your beloved franchise and there is no way but down to go!!!

Hope you enjoyed it while you had it!!!
Old 01-28-2004, 02:27 PM   #10
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Dan...I swear I can see the steam rising from your head[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I'm right with you on your assesment of the Yanks by the way. But they will never fall to the point where they won't be able to contend for the playoffs. Steinbrenner will just shell out another 30 or 40 million a year to overpriced veterens just to stroke his own ego. The way the yankees run there club is the very reason why I can't stand baseball. There will always be the "has" and the "has beens" until we get some kind of salary structure set in place. That's why basketball and football have strived. They give the small guy the chance to dream big dreams.

There are three kind of fans that are hard to discuss sports with about there teams....

1)Longhorn fans
2)Laker fans
3)Yankee fans .................all 3 are dillusional.
Old 01-28-2004, 02:31 PM   #11
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Hahaha... I was right there with ya until you threw that garbage out about Longhorn fans... Careful BB, you are treading on THIN water!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-28-2004, 02:43 PM   #12
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Male22Dan
Hahaha... I was right there with ya until you threw that garbage out about Longhorn fans... Careful BB, you are treading on THIN water!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

That's hilarious!!! I thought you were a longhorn. Check out my new thread "Fan Discussion Here" it will most likely spark some heated debate[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-30-2004, 06:13 PM   #13
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all

Quote:
Also Hitman, if you are indeed a drop-dead Yankees fan, I will ask you the same question I asked WayOutWest!!! What are you going to do in a few years when the rest of your staff retires or heavily drops in performance??? Brown, Williams, Mussina, Rivera, Sheffield, Sierra, etc... You have one HELLUVA veteran staff and in 2-3 years, I would venture to say that your lack of a farm system, (due to your idiotic owners dreams to trade every prospect for veteran talent), along with player retirements is going to land your team in the 50-80 win plateau!!! Sure it got you several championships, but your team will never be the American League's version of the Braves... You will peak, and fall VERY HARD AND FAST!!! Oh well, so long as your owner plans on having his payroll around the 4 billion mark, there is no reason to assume you guys wont have at least three or four overpaid 35-40 year old pitchers to help you win a few games!!!

Mark my word, the Yankees' demise starts THIS year, and they will worsen every year after this... Remember the Boggs/Mattingly days when the Yankees won as many games as the best NBA teams??? Well get ready for that, because your owner has put a bottleneck on your beloved franchise and there is no way but down to go!!!

I am not a "drop dead" fan of any team. I root for the Yankees because I was born in the Bronx and grew up idolizing #23 Donnie Baseball. I love the Stadium, monument park, the tradition of Ruth, Gehrig and DiMaggio.

But the Yankees are the Yankees. They can outspend everyone and anyone. They will always be competitive as long as they have smart people running the operation.

When the Yankees pitching starts to decline, they will go out and take the Expo's pitchers, the Padres' pitchers, etc etc. When the #1 free agent goes on the market, who is going to pay him?

Yeah, it sucks. But that is how baseball runs.

The Yankees have a better shot of winning it all this year than anyone else for two reasons

1. Their current roster is stacked.
2. When July 31st rolls around the roster will be even more stacked.

Old 01-31-2004, 11:16 AM   #14
Chiwas
Guru

Hope so, cause I don't want to miss a MLB season cause the Yankees took a nap.

Old 02-16-2004, 06:35 PM   #15
Hitman
Golden Member

Ahem

Old 02-16-2004, 06:48 PM   #16
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Predicting that the Yankees roster will be stacked is like predicting that it will eventually rain this year. You'll eventually be proven correct, but if ya want some self-congratulations, then go right ahead.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 09:40 PM   #17
Chiwas
Guru

The head of this thread MUST be changed. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

WOO HOO! [img]i/expressions/sun.gif[/img]

(Sorry, kingrex, but to be a fan of the Yankees is one of my main foibles [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img])

Old 02-17-2004, 11:12 AM   #18
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Quote:

I am not a "drop dead" fan of any team. I root for the Yankees because I was born in the Bronx and grew up idolizing #23 Donnie Baseball. I love the Stadium, monument park, the tradition of Ruth, Gehrig and DiMaggio.

But the Yankees are the Yankees. They can outspend everyone and anyone. They will always be competitive as long as they have smart people running the operation.

When the Yankees pitching starts to decline, they will go out and take the Expo's pitchers, the Padres' pitchers, etc etc. When the #1 free agent goes on the market, who is going to pay him?

Yeah, it sucks. But that is how baseball runs.

The Yankees have a better shot of winning it all this year than anyone else for two reasons

1. Their current roster is stacked.
2. When July 31st rolls around the roster will be even more stacked.
You are correct, this is the way it works - NOW.
This will not change until MLB takes over the TV contracts like the NBA and NFL do. They sign one big contract instead of each team working their own deal. This is why Hicks was in it. To make the TV deal with his own company. This is why Turner owns the Braves. This is why Steinbrenner who gets a 200M tv contract each year makes money with the Yankees, where Milwalkee who signs a 20M TV contract can't compete. Players do not want it because they know that George will always overspend. Steinbrenner don't care because he still makes money. This will eventually destroy the credibility of the league, IMO. It isn't about having a talented Mgmt team for the Yankees. They don't have to develop their own players. They have the money and tradition to sign the best regardless. Other teams do not have the ability to "make the mistakes" that the Yankees do. So expect them to win a few more in a row, and expect to keep seeing the players bolt to there, and then expect another work stoppage. Eventually either new owners will move for the TV fix, and get the system back to competitive, or eventually people will stop spending their money on the "little" guys that have no chance. The Yankees won't have a problem, but Minn, San Diego, etc. will. It has already happened in Montreal, and what happens when 3 more teams are just like them? ? ?

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 10:51 AM   #19
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Ahem
I hate to tell you, but all they did was trade a great player for a superstar player, (and frankly, scoring runs was never their problem). I admit now more than ever that the Yankees have baseball's best hitting lineup, but my original bashing statement was based on the fact that the owner is taking on bigger and bigger contracts, trading away his farm system, getting older, and regressing regarding pitching. Those facts are STILL there, and in fact, have been proven further correct with this recent trade. The Rangers get to pick the best prospect you have, (hopefully a pitcher as opposed to your catcher prospect), and we get younger in the trade. Now sure, you got the better end of the trade, but keep in mind, A-Rod did not add ONE SINGLE game to our overall record in the Win column. If you look at the year before we got him, and compare it to last year, you will see it was IDENTICAL!!! Maybe he gets more motivated playing for you guys, or maybe the runs will help more because your pitchers wont give up 12 per game, but I think you basically lost a young prospect and got a guy that will hit 10 more home runs per year than Soriano, (while stealing 15-30 less bases), for A HELLUVA LOT of money. You still have an old, OVER-RATED, (Brown is the epitome of that word), pitching staff that might be your downfall. I still WANT the Yankees to suck, I just dont think they will suck as bad as I originally planned. I would think this trade will add 3-5 wins per year for your team, (could be more if A-Rod ends up being a consistent 3rd base defender as Soriano was not very accurate in his position).

All I know is that the guys you have on your team makes you a paper champion. So many unknowns must come to pass before anything actually happens. Guys have to stay healthy that normally have health problems, guys have to get along and play nice that normally have ego issues, and your pitching has to get better...

You're unfortunately more of a contender now than before the trade, but you are digging yourself further and further into a hole than ever... I say GREAT to that, because again, in a few years, this team will have only old pieces to move with no more farm system... Your not going to keep on getting the best in the business for old parts... This team will start to fail in the coming years... And boy I cant wait til that happens... At that point, "THE BOSS" will likely sell the team, ride off in the sunset as one of the best owners of all time - (in his mind), and leave the Yankees in shit up to their necks...

It is inevitable to become a crap team if you continue to trade for older players... With no farm system, what can a team possibly do... How many 35 year olds do you think you will be able to trade for 27 year olds... Not too many... NY will eventually suck BIG TIME as a result of what Steinbrenner is doing, and like I said, I will be savoring that drought for many years...

Now if some sort of a salary cap comes into baseball, just think of what then happens to the Yankees... Poor Steinbrenner wont be able to sign guys either... Straight down the shitter for NY is my opinion... Just wait a few years and you will see!!!

Edited to fix a spelling mistake!
Old 04-21-2004, 11:07 PM   #20
Chiwas
Guru

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 10-01-2004, 12:10 AM   #21
Chiwas
Guru

Quote:
Monday February 16, 2004 5:35 PM

Ahem
Ahem 2.
Old 10-01-2004, 12:38 AM   #22
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Chiwas
Quote:
Monday February 16, 2004 5:35 PM

Ahem
Ahem 2.
I COMPLETELY stand by everything I said... Keep in mind this quote from above:

Quote:
You're unfortunately more of a contender now than before the trade, but you are digging yourself further and further into a hole than ever... I say GREAT to that, because again, in a few years, this team will have only old pieces to move with no more farm system... Your not going to keep on getting the best in the business for old parts... This team will start to fail in the coming years... And boy I cant wait til that happens... At that point, "THE BOSS" will likely sell the team, ride off in the sunset as one of the best owners of all time - (in his mind), and leave the Yankees in shit up to their necks...
I knew they would be pretty good in the NOW, but just wait...
Old 10-21-2004, 07:55 AM   #23
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

As Promised!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-22-2004, 03:47 PM   #24
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

I hear Cashman's job is safe... I wonder who DOES get fired/traded now!

Link!

Quote:
Thursday, October 21, 2004

By Bob Klapisch
Special to ESPN.com

NEW YORK -- The Yankees embarked on Day 1 of what will be the most painful offseason in franchise history. Regret, second-guessing, self-doubt -- you name it, it'll be on George Steinbrenner's buffet table. Yankees employees are bracing for a blizzard of score-settling, although The Boss was off to a peaceful start on Thursday, issuing a statement congratulating the Red Sox and assuring GM Brian Cashman he'll be back in 2005.

A frustrated Torre says he didn't have any managerial regrets about the ALCS.

Still, no one expects the Game 7 collapse to go unaddressed for very long. Even if Cashman survives a coup, he and the rest of the Yankees hierarchy will be on a Tampa-bound plane by next week, asked to explain an ALCS collapse that'll serve as the Yankees' permanent open wound.

Steinbrenner brushed by reporters who waited for him outside the stadium Wednesday night, but he hung around long enough to see friends and family of the Red Sox celebrating on the infield, posing for pictures at home plate. On the streets outside the ballpark, thousands of Red Sox fans reveled in the Yankees' demise, as if some corrupt regime had just been overthrown.

One by one, the Yankees voiced their regret, although not one of them took responsibility. Not Alex Rodriguez, who closed out the series going 2-for-17. Not Gary Sheffield, who was 1-for-17 after being quoted calling the Red Sox "a walking disaster." Not Kevin Brown or Javier Vazquez, who combined to put the Yankees in a 6-0 crisis in the second inning in Game 7.

Not even Joe Torre looked inward, despite a wobbly series. He told reporters on Thursday, "There's nothing I'd re-do, with the information we had at the time."

He was referring to every one of his critical decisions, including his choice of Vazquez to replace Brown in the second inning. Did Torre somehow forget that Vazquez had allowed Johnny Damon two home runs on June 29, or that his troubled right-hander had allowed 33 HRs in 2004, the most of any Yankees pitcher? Did Torre consider the consequences of Vazquez grooving a fastball to Damon, which he predictably did with the bases loaded?

That 6-0 deficit indeed ruined the Yankees, who spent six innings demonstrating just how wide the gulf was between them and the 1996-2000 core. Other than Derek Jeter, no Yankee got the ball out of the infield against Derek Lowe. Instead, the images of the Yankees' lack of heart were everywhere -- from Hideki Matsui leading off the second inning swinging at a borderline 2-0 pitch, despite being down by six runs; to A-Rod being booed by Yankees fans after his final at-bat of the season; to Tom Gordon, who, according to one team source, was so unnerved by October pressure that he was throwing up in the bullpen during Game 6.

Of course, Torre can also argue that he delivered the Yankees to the doorstep of a sweep. And he's right: Mariano Rivera was standing on the mound with a one-run lead in the ninth inning of Game 4. It's not Torre's fault that Rivera issued Kevin Millar a five-pitch walk that eventually tied the game and sent it into extra innings.

But in Game 5, Torre inexplicably allowed the shriveling Gordon to keep pitching in the eighth inning after David Ortiz's leadoff HR. Rivera, who was already warming up, remained in the bullpen as Gordon walked Millar and allowed Trot Nixon a hit-and-run single that put runners on first and third. Only then did Torre make a move, asking Rivera to accomplish a miracle -- keeping the Red Sox from tying the game, which he could not.

Later, in the 13th inning, the Yankees were strangely passive after Sheffield reached base on a strikeout-passed ball. Torre never gave Sheffield the chance to take advantage of Jason Varitek's unfamiliarity with Tim Wakefield's knuckleball. Had Sheffield stolen second, instead of being erased on Matsui's subsequent fielder's choice, he might've been on third and scored on another Varitek passed ball later in the inning.

A day later, some Yankees quietly wondered why Torre had become so conservative. One theory is that he missed Don Zimmer, who in the words of one AL scout was the "risk-taker" in the Yankees' war room for eight years. Without Zimmer, and with rookie bench coach Willie Randolph at his side, Torre gave away the initiative, forcing the Yankees into a die-or-die circumstance in Game 7.

For once, the players didn't respond to the manager's calm reminder that they, not the Red Sox, were the American League's best regular-season team. They, not Boston, won the East. And the Yankees were the ones with the October pedigree, not the Sox. Just to reinforce the point, Steinbrenner trotted out Bucky Dent to deliver the ceremonial first pitch and had Yogi Berra catch it.

It was touching, but nevertheless desperate. Despite having the home-field advantage in the last two games, the Yankees never led, making you wonder if the Bombers of the Tino Martinez-Paul O'Neill-David Cone era would've ever gone down so quietly. Steinbrenner will obviously spend wildly to nudge the Yankees closer to their golden era formula, even though $170 million is already committed to next year's payroll.

The Yankees will likely sign Carlos Beltran and trade Vazquez, even if it means absorbing a large portion of the $35 million that's owed him. And Brown will never pitch for the Yankees again, even if the Yankees have to summon the Salvation Army to cart him away, along with the $15 million he's owed in 2005.

The money is limitless, but what did it get Steinbrenner in 2004? For $184 million, the Yankees became the equivalent of a '70s-era gas guzzler -- huge and loud and impossible to ignore. But step on the pedal, as the Yankees did in Game 7, and there was nothing under the hood.

Bob Klapisch of The Record (Bergen County, N.J.) covers baseball for ESPN.com.
Old 10-22-2004, 04:44 PM   #25
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

George Steinbrenner today announced that he has purchased the entire Red Sox roster. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 10:16 PM   #26
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
George Steinbrenner today announced that he has purchased the entire Red Sox roster. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
One of the incidents I was listening to on Randy galloway show was that:

The vehicle that was carrying yankees tickets for the playoffs accidentally dropped some tickets and some young kids found them. Those tickets were worth $20000. The kids returned those tickets to Yankee office although they could have made as much as $100000 if they sold on Ebay. You know steinbrenner gave the kids cheap a$$ tickets to regular season yankee game worth $100. What an SOB. I would have atleast ecpected something like $50000 reward or atleast a playoff package or something.