Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 07-22-2004, 10:02 AM   #1
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Deseret News: Top 10 Ostertag Moments

We're going to miss Ostertag

By Brad Rock
Deseret Morning News

Memmmmm'ries
Light the corners of my mind
Misty water-color memmmmm'ries
Of the way we weeeere . . .

Sorry, I got carried away. I'm no Barbra Streisand.
It's just that Greg Ostertag is gone, and with him go a lot of memories.

Because Ostertag is moving to Sacramento, a chapter in Jazz history closes. He was the last player linked to the NBA Finals years. He was also one of the most overpaid players in team history, after landing a $39 million contract to do something he didn't enjoy.

Is this a great country or what?

As long as we're walking down memory lane, let's go the distance.

Here, in no particular order, is my list of top 10 unforgettable 'Tag moments:

1. Fittingly, Ostertag's shining day in Utah had nothing to do with basketball. In 2002 he donated a kidney to his ailing sister. It was a sincere, selfless act. His sister noted that Ostertag's sacrifice showed there were more important things in his life than basketball. True.
But we already knew that.

2. Remember the day he got Shaq-a-Whacked? It was on Halloween morning, 1997, prior to a game in Los Angeles, as the teams were passing by between shoot-arounds. During the playoffs the previous season, 'Tag had apparently insulted O'Neal by intimating Shaq-Diesel could be stopped. When they crossed paths the next fall, words were exchanged and Ostertag ended up in the fetal position. Of course, O'Neal has that effect on a lot of people.

3. The night of the Tooth Fairy. On April 9, 2001, Big Greg went after a rebound, caught an elbow in the mouth, and his false front teeth went flying toward the Rockets' bench. Houston coach Rudy Tomjanovich bent to pick up whatever had skidded his way but recoiled upon closer inspection. Ewwwww! The Rockets' trainer wrapped the goodies in a towel and delivered them to the Jazz bench.

4. His "fitness" troubles with Karl Malone. In 1997 Malone called him a fat-(expletive) for not showing up in shape for training camp.
Ostertag never really did comply; nor could he find a good reason. That's the thing about the NBA. The checks always clear, no matter what your condition.

5. The two playoff games in 2003, when 'Tag played up to his potential. He went for 40 points, 23 rebounds and six blocks on combined Saturdays. Some thought it was Ostertag's coming out party. But it was really just another in a string of tantalizing moments. Ironically, it was those two games that probably convinced Sacramento it could use 'Tag as a backup one day.

6. On Feb. 6, 2002, Ostertag committed three fouls in four minutes and was benched. As he walked off, Jerry Sloan said something to him. 'Tag shot back, "I'm ready! I'm ready! Put me back in the game!" and started for the scorer's table. No go. He then bumped Sloan on his way to the end of the bench. Sloan shoved back and sent Ostertag to the locker room.

7. Three weeks later, same story. Sloan yelled at 'Tag, who shouted back. During a huddle, Ostertag said mockingly, "It's my fault. . . . It's all my fault!" and ended up sitting the rest of the half and most of the second.

8. As recently as last November he was suspended a game after throwing a towel into the stands and arguing with Sloan. Still there was something entertaining about the whole Sloan-Ostertag conundrum. The warrior coach and the loopy center provided just enough comedy, suspense and drama to make things interesting.

9. The night in Portland he was called for his second technical and ejected, after which he punted the ball into the stands on his way out.
But Ostertag proved to be an even worse punter than he was a center, shanking the ball off his foot. Um, wanna give soccer a try?

10. The day he signed a six-year contract extension in 1997.
"People are always asking me what's going to happen when John and Karl are gone and what the future will look like for the Jazz," said owner Larry H. Miller at the time. "As I thought about it . . . it struck me that a big part of the answer to that question is sitting next to me."

So was a big part of the Jazz's frustrations for nine seasons.

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,595078874,00.html
Old 07-22-2004, 11:34 AM   #2
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all
Default RE:Deseret News: Top 10 Ostertag Moments

I f could hack it with Sloan, I don't think he'll survive with Nellie's craziness.