Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 06-15-2001, 10:49 PM   #1
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Looky here

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2001, 09:34 PM   #2
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

The way that story went everyone they interviewed (including Jordan) seems to think that he'll come back.
Old 06-20-2001, 06:06 PM   #3
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I really don't want Jordan to return. I can't see him adding to his legacy and the possibility of embarrassment is there.
MFFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2001, 06:17 PM   #4
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

The possibility of embarrassment is greatly there. I don't want him to come back either...I can't think of a better way for him to have left. The only thing that I regret about his career is the 2 years he took off during the dynasty. I understand he was upset about his father, but he tried to play baseball for goodness sake! If he had played those 2 years he could have retired an 8 straight champion...and I don't think that Phil would be in LA either.
Old 06-20-2001, 06:32 PM   #5
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I heard several ugly rumours that Jordan was asked to leave basketball for a couple of years by David Stern. Jordan was gambling a lot back then and there was some allegations in a criminal case against some big-time bookies that Jordan was fixing games. The extremely ugly rumour alleged that Stern asked Jordan to leave so he wouldn't have to suspend the league's best player.
Old 06-20-2001, 10:14 PM   #6
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

What are you talking about...fixing the games. They won most of the games they played.
Old 06-20-2001, 10:38 PM   #7
MFFL
Guru

Like I said - ugly rumor. I never believed it, so I never investigated it. However, there were a lot of people who do believe and the timing WAS coincidential - Jordan retires right after being a part of a FBI investigation. The center of the investigation was not Jordan, but a career criminal who had won several hundred thousand dollars from Jordan at golf. Jordan admitted that he had lost a lot of money betting on golf. There were a lot of questions starting to be asked of Jordan by reporters. Those questions went away when Jordan retired from basketball. The story hangs together if you believe the basic premise - Jordan had a gambling addiction. I didn't believe it, so I never looked further.
Old 06-20-2001, 10:42 PM   #8
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Oh...so you're just putting it up for discussion. Now I understand. I thought you were supporting the idea.
Old 06-21-2001, 08:19 AM   #9
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

jordan fixing games?
what the hell, did we expect the bulls to go 82-0? so 69-13 wasn't good enough?
the way i look at is he fixed several games..and they were all in the "W" column
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2001, 11:42 PM   #10
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

What do you think about him playing small forward if he does make the return this season?

How will he stack up against Dirk?
Old 06-24-2001, 12:30 AM   #11
MFFL
Guru

I can't imagine Jordan doing anything other than being lit up. How is he supposed to stop a guy 5 inches taller who can shoot threes and run the court? Of course, I think Jordan is going to get lit up by a bunch of players. I wish he would stay retired 'cause I hate it when the champ goes into the ring one too many times. It's kinda sad.
Old 06-24-2001, 12:36 AM   #12
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

He finished at the best place possible...the top.
Old 06-24-2001, 01:06 AM   #13
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

i'm not going to count jordan out until he gives me any reason to count him out.
when someone proves that he's lost it, fine, that's ok...but, so far, all i've heard is the ramblings of ignorant sports writers and cynics
Old 06-24-2001, 07:48 AM   #14
MFFL
Guru

I'm old. I'm allowed to be cynical. It's in the contract. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-24-2001, 01:02 PM   #15
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

If he comes back and proves that he's lost it then that's it...we all know. But right now he has us all wondering if he could still be the best...that's the way it should be.
Old 06-24-2001, 10:33 PM   #16
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

IMO, if he does make the return, he's foolish. Like Flying Tiger said, he went out in the best possible way...on top.

I, no doubt, believe he can still play but not at the level some of the guys today are.

There's defintely players that'll outplay him and make him look foolish but I wouldn't count him out either. He seems to thrive on proving people wrong.

I just wish he would make up his mind already, Im tired of wondering.
Old 06-25-2001, 08:42 AM   #17
Murphy3
Guru

heaven forbid he drops down to michael finley's level instead of being one of the top 5 players in the league

he wants to play, it's his decision..and there's no reason to doubt him right now.
Old 06-26-2001, 10:33 AM   #18
Murphy3
Guru

how do we know he went out the best way possible?
so, there's nothing else he can accomplish as a basketball player, for himself, for his fans?

most people i know..the only reason they watched the NBA was because of Mike. I know alot of people that don't watch it anymore simply because he's gone.

what's the purpose of being so cynical towards the greatest basketball player that ever lived?
hasn't he given us enough to where we should give him the opportunity to play if he wants to. especially when we have nothing to base our negativity towards.

..let's see him play, and then judge..
Old 06-26-2001, 10:45 AM   #19
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

My only issue with it is if he does come back and let's say he only averages 25 points a game and doesn't win a championship, there are those people who will let that tarnish their opinion of Jordan.

I for one, would LOVE to see him come back just to see if he can do it again, but it would be FOOLISH for me or anyone for that matter to say that this man is STILL not one of or the GREATEST basketball player to ever play the game.

I can understand people's frustration with the uncertainty of Jordan coming back, but that's Jordan. That's always been Jordan, he likes to be in control and now people don't like it because they're at his mercy. Believe it or not the MAJORITY of people are curious to see how he would fair, but they don't like the fact that everyone is waiting on the edge of their seat to find out what he's going to do. Well whatever the man does, it's fine with me, he deserves it. There are three people in my mind who can do what they chose as far as the NBA goes. Jordan, Magic and Bird. They are a major reason the NBA still exist, so if they want to toy with us, let them! We should be thanking them for all they did, so if they want to come back and wheel themselves down the court in a wheel chair we should sit back and accept it. There would STILL be people that would tune in to watch it.
Old 06-26-2001, 10:52 AM   #20
Murphy3
Guru

damn, i'm hyped about jordan coming back.
now, i'm interested in the mavs, the cavs, and whe wizard.
...and, i'll hate every other team
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
something else to draw me in to nba basketball.