Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 09-03-2007, 09:39 AM   #1
Big Shot Rob

Big Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud of
Default Additional questions from a technically challenged middle-aged person...

Okay guys--you have helped me in the past with my quest to become more technically savy.

A few more:

1. Time Warner offers a DVR for a few dollars more each month. Is it still better to get TIVO. My friends are so divided on this I can't make heads or tails out of this question. Some say that each is basically the same each month but that TIVO has many more features. Others say that TW is superior because it is cheaper and will get better tech service. Can anyone offer their ideas on this?

2. Is there anyway to actually download videos on Youtube onto your harddrive? I've tried and have not been able to do so. I wondered about this because some great Beatle videos that used to be on Youtube are now gone! I wish that I had made a copy of them.

3. I am now posting from a latop computer with a wireless router set up by some friends. I noticed that in some parts of my house, I get better receptiojn while in others, I keep losing a reception. Is there something else I can do so to stay on-line?
Big Shot Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2007, 07:33 AM   #2
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Shot Rob
Okay guys--you have helped me in the past with my quest to become more technically savy.

A few more:

1. Time Warner offers a DVR for a few dollars more each month. Is it still better to get TIVO. My friends are so divided on this I can't make heads or tails out of this question. Some say that each is basically the same each month but that TIVO has many more features. Others say that TW is superior because it is cheaper and will get better tech service. Can anyone offer their ideas on this?

2. Is there anyway to actually download videos on Youtube onto your harddrive? I've tried and have not been able to do so. I wondered about this because some great Beatle videos that used to be on Youtube are now gone! I wish that I had made a copy of them.

3. I am now posting from a latop computer with a wireless router set up by some friends. I noticed that in some parts of my house, I get better receptiojn while in others, I keep losing a reception. Is there something else I can do so to stay on-line?

1.) Don't really know, i bet Tivo is better since you are paying for it upfront, better features i am sure.

2.) I have tried this several times. There are lots of programs where you type in the url and it downloads the video into a ".FLV" file. Then you have to convert that video into an .avi or .mpeg. There are also plug ins for mozilla, but those never really worked either.

3.) As far as the router, typically concrete and walls are the worst things for the signal. I think the rule of thumb is "line of sight", So try and see if the signal is better when you can actually see the router.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 08:16 AM   #3
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Some companies (I don't know what brand of router you have) sell a sort of 'range expander' or signal booster you can put between your router and you. I think Linksys makes one. They also make access points with "high gain antennas." etc, etc...
Old 09-07-2007, 10:22 AM   #4
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

we've got a few threads on this board about TiVo (should be one on the main page of the lounge about TiVo HD). Personally, I love it. love it, love it, love it. Blows the Comcast DVR out of the water (I assume Time Warner DVR sucks, too.).