Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 08-02-2002, 08:16 PM   #1
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

I´m just watching a fight in the "halbschwer" division (sorry don´t know the english word) of the WBA. They call it a championship fight. It´s between frenchman Bruno Girard and american Robert Koon. Now everyone knows that Roy Jones is the WBA, IBF, WBC champion in this division. Now what the WBA did was calling Jones a "superworldchampion" and giving another title they call "normalworldchampion" to another boxer, Girard. So they basicly have two champions know. Anyone heard of this before? Is the WBA doing this regulary now? I think it´s ridiculous and obviously just for the money. The boxing associations really do everything they can to ruin the sport. There seems to be quite some money involved because Girard seems to be pretty popular in France. The funny thing is: he can´t even box. Jones would beat him up pretty good and so would Darius Michaelzewski the german champion of the WBO.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2002, 08:25 PM   #2
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Oh man, what a bad fight. And this Girard guy was boxer of the year last year in france. LOL. He has an ok technique but he couldn´t knock my grandma out and is waaay too slow.
Old 08-03-2002, 01:10 AM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

To answer your question, I'm not sure. Roy Jones won several different weight champioships with several of the sanctioning bodies. He had to forfeit one title because he failed to accept a mandatory fight with teh #1 contender. Jones instead fought at a higher weight class and won the belt. I am guessing that the title is not really an official one, but rather one that reflects his multiple level championships. But that is totally a guess only.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 11:23 AM   #4
Fidel
Diamond Member

Doc, they declared the frenchman "worldchampion" after the fight. The commentator said that the WBA officialy made Jones a "super worldchampion" so that they could give the title of "normal" worldchampion to someone else. I know this sounds strange and it doesn´t make much sense IMO, but that´s what they said on TV.
Old 08-03-2002, 04:34 PM   #5
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I have no idea Fidel....???

Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote