Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-14-2020, 04:32 PM   #441
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
But opposing teams expect Gallinari to end up on a contender if the Thunder trade Paul. Per sources, some with the Mavericks have interest in pursuing Gallinari. The Mavs reportedly also want to conserve cap space for the summer of 2021. So the franchise would have to weigh that factor in any offers it makes to Gallinari. – via SportsNet New York
Galli wants an extension, so that's likely a no-go.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2020, 05:27 PM   #442
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Why do we want LaVine?
Yeah i dont think the Mavs are going to waste assets and tons of salary on any guard who cant defend
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 07:44 PM   #443
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
Call me nuts but I’m not trading THJ for Lavine. THJ fits better with what we’re trying to do, is expiring, and has bought in to being a Maverick.
Say what....

Y'all trippin if you think THJ is on the same level as Lavine.

Lavine is super athletic which Hardaway isn't

He's hands down the better passer, rebounder and all around scorer.

The only knock on him his defense but it can't be any worse than Hardaway's defense .

I might be in the minority here but Lavine is a legit weapon and offensively he'd fit like hand n glove with Luka and KP.

He can even run your offense when Luka takes a breatk which still allows Curry, Brunson and Burke to all play off ball coming off the bench.

If the Bulls are that stupid to trade him the Mavs should do it without hesitation and don't even look back.

I'm a huge fan of defense but offensively if you told me the Mavs could run out a trio of Luka, KP and Lavine this year I'd be ecstatic.

Add another defender to the roster and that lineup gets you close to WCF's this year.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 07:52 PM   #444
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still confused as to why people think having cap room for Giannis is a concern. Like THJ expiring is a deal breaker. Buck aren't letting him walk. Levine...whoever, KP, anyone but Luka would be in play for Giannis.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 08:06 PM   #445
KillerLeft

KillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
Say what....

I might be in the minority here but Lavine is a legit weapon and offensively he'd fit like hand n glove with Luka and KP.
No, I think you're absolutely right about this, minority or not. And, the presence of another guy who can put pressure on the defense as an ON-BALL player is easily the number 1 need in Dallas, which is why they're basically attached by rumor to every possible solution of that type.

There are questions about LaVine, imo.

1) What is the cost to acquire him? To answer that, we'd need to know what the seller, Chicago, is trying to accomplish by moving him. If he's available, they didn't just randomly wake up and say "f-it, let's trade our best player."

They are even closer to an abundance of cap space next year than Dallas. In fact, there are only three major contracts that they're actually on the hook for past this season. One of them is LaVine, and the others are Satoransky and Thad Young. So, if the guy they like at #4 is a lead guard like Ball or Haliburton, then I could imagine them wanting to clear out LaVine to give that kid a chance to grow for a year before adding several free agents next summer. If that's the goal, then what they'd want to use a LaVine trade to accomplish is to clear Satoransky, Young or both from their books, and maybe pick up another pick in the process. If they want BOTH gone, Dallas has no cap legal way of providing that service, I don't think.

If it's an even talent swap they're looking for, only for a player who fits better with the guy they're drafting, then I find it extremely unlikely Dallas could even make a top 3 offer for him, even with everything of value going out the door.

There's no way to know what the cost is without knowing the goal.

2) The entire NBA community agrees that LaVine has been miscast in the "face of the franchise" role. The question is, does he? In the role of secondary creator here, he'd fit like a dream. He'd add a dimension that complements Luka and KP really well, imo, but only if he realizes coming in that he's not guaranteed 20+ shots per night anymore. He'd have to know and be ok with the concept that his job was to support Luka.

I've watched him enough to know that he's an effective off-ball player, so he probably wouldn't object to doing that more than he does in Chicago, but I don't think it works if he's a black hole here. The Mavs would need him to move the ball. Loads of players have looked inefficient when trying to elevate bad teams, but not all of them insist on playing that way when they land on good ones. Is he Michael Finley, or is he Carmelo Anthony? I trust the Mavs to work this bit out (I think) because this is pretty much exactly what prompted them to move Harrison Barnes so quickly.

At the end of the day, this doesn't seem likely to happen. I just can't find a realistic motivation for moving him that the Mavs can solve for the Bulls. I CAN imagine them being motivated to move him, but I believe there will be other teams either willing or able to make better offers, regardless of what Chicago is looking for. NY, for example, could take BOTH of those bad contracts along with LaVine without sending anything back but a guy on his rookie deal and a draft pick, if they wanted. Atlanta is another team I might watch with LaVine.

Last edited by KillerLeft; 11-14-2020 at 08:10 PM.
KillerLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 09:16 PM   #446
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of Giannis-

"Aftonbladet: So your plan is to stay in Milwaukee next year and then maybe sign an extension?

Giannis: "I do not know what the plan is. It depends on what decisions they make. If they make the right decision, I'll be there for many years. If they do not, we'll see. The NBA is business and we take it day by day. Hopefully we can succeed together."

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/g...ons-they-make/

Not exactly news, but can we at least officially put the "Giannis will never leave Milwaukee" narrative to rest? He's making it very clear whether he leaves or stays depends on his confidence in their front office.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 09:45 PM   #447
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
Not exactly news, but can we at least officially put the "Giannis will never leave Milwaukee" narrative to rest? He's making it very clear whether he leaves or stays depends on his confidence in their front office.
Unfortunately this will be the story for Luka soon enough. The Mavs can't waste the early part of his career like they did with Dirk
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 09:48 PM   #448
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL View Post
Unfortunately this will be the story for Luka soon enough. The Mavs can't waste the early part of his career like they did with Dirk
I'm confident that he'll sign at least one contract extension before he actually considers going anywhere else. That gives us what, five years? If the Mavs haven't built a contender around him by the seventh year of his career, then they deserve to lose him.
Old 11-14-2020, 09:48 PM   #449
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Speaking of Giannis-

"Aftonbladet: So your plan is to stay in Milwaukee next year and then maybe sign an extension?

Giannis: "I do not know what the plan is. It depends on what decisions they make. If they make the right decision, I'll be there for many years. If they do not, we'll see. The NBA is business and we take it day by day. Hopefully we can succeed together."

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/g...ons-they-make/

He's basically tellingtge Buck " make necessary moves to help so I can stay. If you botch building around me then I'm out.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 10:15 PM   #450
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm confident that he'll sign at least one contract extension before he actually considers going anywhere else. That gives us what, five years? If the Mavs haven't built a contender around him by the seventh year of his career, then they deserve to lose him.
I'm sure that he'll sign the first extension. Almost everyone does (except Noel and look at that disaster)

I hope the Mavs make the right moves starting this year. We can't have a "skip" year waiting on Giannis
Old 11-14-2020, 10:24 PM   #451
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
I'm sure that he'll sign the first extension. Almost everyone does (except Noel and look at that disaster)

I hope the Mavs make the right moves starting this year. We can't have a "skip" year waiting on Giannis
I don't know that it's a "skip" year. I think simply drafting players ourselves rather than trading our picks is actually the best basketball move.

I just think that there just aren't any real good moves available. As I said earlier, the Mavs just don't have the assets to trade for a "third star" unless you consider Oladipo a "star" and at this point, I don't.

Even if it's not Giannis (and I'm not delusional. It probably won't be Giannis), 2021 just seems like a much better opportunity to add a major upgrade to the roster. Aside from not having the assets for a big trade, throw in the extraordinary circumstances of the shortened offseason and every team being terrified of the luxury tax etc... I just don't see us getting good value in return for trading our picks plus our role players.
Old 11-14-2020, 10:40 PM   #452
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Chuck Cooperstein
@coopmavs

I know everyone's dying to find out what the Mavs are up to. Trust me. No matter what you read. No matter who's name is thrown out there. The people writing amd talking are doing nothing but spitballing. Mavs have their true business locked down tighter than Fort Knox
Probably the truest thing anyone has said all year.
Old 11-14-2020, 10:42 PM   #453
KillerLeft

KillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant future

Quote:
So far, I don’t think a single player has ever turned down a rookie max extension. You’re pretty much guaranteed 8 years.
Old 11-14-2020, 11:01 PM   #454
MFFL
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerLeft View Post
So far, I don’t think a single player has ever turned down a rookie max extension. You’re pretty much guaranteed 8 years.
I bet Porzingis would have turned down a Knicks offer. That relationship was broken
Old 11-15-2020, 12:21 AM   #455
KillerLeft

Quote:
I bet Porzingis would have turned down a Knicks offer. That relationship was broken
Yeah, that's a good call.

A good reminder of how charmed the Mavs have been over these past two years. They got to GIVE him his rookie max extension, lol.

OMG, the Knicks are so inept.
Old 11-15-2020, 12:41 AM   #456
KillerLeft

I am ready to make my prediction. Some of you won't like this, but I feel like it's going to happen, and I want the credit if it does (lol).

I think that Chris Paul trade happens, and I think the Mavs' role in that deal will be to take on Ricky Rubio. They might also be angling for a pick swap (#10 for #18), in which case I believe the target would be either Vassell or SBey, but I'm pretty skeptical that OKC makes the deal without getting #10.

So, DFS/Wright outgoing, with Rubio coming in. OUTSIDE chance of #10 coming in with #18 (and probably #31) going out.

Before anyone freaks out about "how do Luka and Rubio play together" let me just say:

Rubio is still an EXCELLENT on-ball defender. His lineups with Booker last year were very positive in +/-, and actually, Rubio, himself was #7 in the league in on/off net rating. He was a plus in both offensive and defensive on/off. He's one of the most underrated players in the league, actually. His catch and shoot numbers from distance are much better than you think. He's improving as an off-ball shooter as he ages, much like Jason Kidd did.

I think the Mavs want a player to not only be a secondary playmaker (which he is MORE than qualified to be) but also play a little PG. If you can remember how Kidd would bring the ball up, survey the defense, get the team into the right set and then let JET actually run the play, you'll know what I mean. Even just bringing the ball up 20 times a game and allowing Luka to catch the ball with a live dribble at the right spot for the action to start would take A LOT of pressure off of Luka. During most possessions, Rubio will be a ball mover, secondary playmaker and corner catch and shoot guy. And, I believe he'll be damn good at it.

DFS would be a huge loss, but imo, once you get over the shock and wrap your head around it, you'll come to the conclusion that Rubio is a much, much better player. Worth it, I think.

I also think they follow this up by signing Paul Milsap for 2 years at the MLE. There has been a rumor out there about him, but it didn't make sense to sigh him for more than one year, and it doesn't make sense that he'd sign here on a one year deal. He'll get better offers. But, if you imagine Rubio here, the two year deal makes more sense because they'd both expire in '22. Or, they could both be used as 1-year, expiring trade chips next summer if/when the Mavs find a sign-and-trade option they like with one of those free agents. Milsap was #4 in the NBA last year in net on/off rating, btw. He's still a difference maker, and would fit next to KP pretty damn well.

Boom. That's two edgy, veteran winners. That's a hell of an off-season and a chance to get out of the first round. The team would have a chance to be much better on both sides of the court.

The only downside to all of this, imo, is that it leaves them with Jackson being the only true SF option on the team. That's obviously not ideal. If you're an optimist and you think they'll get #10, there will definitely be a plug and play guy there. Hopefully Vassell, but SBey, at least. If not, maybe they draft Josh Green (who I'm not super high on) or Nesmith at #18? Or, maybe SBey even falls that far (probably not).

Hell, they might even be able to swap THJ in a separate deal for a forward. Not sure they'd want to, but it's a possibility.

Flame away, but I promise you I have an answer for everything. I've been fixated on this option for like 48 straight hours. Of all the (realistic) things that have been leaked, this is the scenario that makes the most sense to me, and I think it's telling that they have NOT allowed themselves to be linked publicly to Rubio. That seems very Mavs-esque.

Last edited by KillerLeft; 11-15-2020 at 01:02 AM.
Old 11-15-2020, 02:53 AM   #457
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
I am ready to make my prediction. Some of you won't like this, but I feel like it's going to happen, and I want the credit if it does (lol).

I think that Chris Paul trade happens, and I think the Mavs' role in that deal will be to take on Ricky Rubio. They might also be angling for a pick swap (#10 for #18), in which case I believe the target would be either Vassell or SBey, but I'm pretty skeptical that OKC makes the deal without getting #10.

So, DFS/Wright outgoing, with Rubio coming in. OUTSIDE chance of #10 coming in with #18 (and probably #31) going out.

Before anyone freaks out about "how do Luka and Rubio play together" let me just say:

Rubio is still an EXCELLENT on-ball defender. His lineups with Booker last year were very positive in +/-, and actually, Rubio, himself was #7 in the league in on/off net rating. He was a plus in both offensive and defensive on/off. He's one of the most underrated players in the league, actually. His catch and shoot numbers from distance are much better than you think. He's improving as an off-ball shooter as he ages, much like Jason Kidd did.

I think the Mavs want a player to not only be a secondary playmaker (which he is MORE than qualified to be) but also play a little PG. If you can remember how Kidd would bring the ball up, survey the defense, get the team into the right set and then let JET actually run the play, you'll know what I mean. Even just bringing the ball up 20 times a game and allowing Luka to catch the ball with a live dribble at the right spot for the action to start would take A LOT of pressure off of Luka. During most possessions, Rubio will be a ball mover, secondary playmaker and corner catch and shoot guy. And, I believe he'll be damn good at it.

DFS would be a huge loss, but imo, once you get over the shock and wrap your head around it, you'll come to the conclusion that Rubio is a much, much better player. Worth it, I think.

I also think they follow this up by signing Paul Milsap for 2 years at the MLE. There has been a rumor out there about him, but it didn't make sense to sigh him for more than one year, and it doesn't make sense that he'd sign here on a one year deal. He'll get better offers. But, if you imagine Rubio here, the two year deal makes more sense because they'd both expire in '22. Or, they could both be used as 1-year, expiring trade chips next summer if/when the Mavs find a sign-and-trade option they like with one of those free agents. Milsap was #4 in the NBA last year in net on/off rating, btw. He's still a difference maker, and would fit next to KP pretty damn well.

Boom. That's two edgy, veteran winners. That's a hell of an off-season and a chance to get out of the first round. The team would have a chance to be much better on both sides of the court.

The only downside to all of this, imo, is that it leaves them with Jackson being the only true SF option on the team. That's obviously not ideal. If you're an optimist and you think they'll get #10, there will definitely be a plug and play guy there. Hopefully Vassell, but SBey, at least. If not, maybe they draft Josh Green (who I'm not super high on) or Nesmith at #18? Or, maybe SBey even falls that far (probably not).

Hell, they might even be able to swap THJ in a separate deal for a forward. Not sure they'd want to, but it's a possibility.

Flame away, but I promise you I have an answer for everything. I've been fixated on this option for like 48 straight hours. Of all the (realistic) things that have been leaked, this is the scenario that makes the most sense to me, and I think it's telling that they have NOT allowed themselves to be linked publicly to Rubio. That seems very Mavs-esque.
I actually kind of like all of that, but let me ask, what makes you think this actually will happen? Other than simply thinking that it's something that realistically could happen?
Old 11-15-2020, 06:52 AM   #458
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I’ll let you have this, but I want credit when we win the championship with Cole Anthony.
Old 11-15-2020, 11:01 AM   #459
MFFL
Guru

If we get involved in the Paul trade I could see us winding up with the 25th pick instead of the 18th. We gotta pay something
Old 11-15-2020, 11:08 AM   #460
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Small update: it may make a lot of sense for players with POs to opt-out this year, even if they make less per year in their next contract.

With a huge loss in revenue last year and what looks like another huge hit with a shorter season/no fans in seats, some players may lose up to 50% of their contract's value for 2020-2021 through escrow (they take home 15m of a 30m contract).

In addition, this offseason we are probably going to see a relatively high salary cap because they are propping it up, while next offseason, we may see the cap drop by 20-40% with riders exempting tax-paying teams.

That means that guys like THJ (19m) and WCS (2.3m) may want to opt-out this offseason and re-sign because they're likely to make only half of the 2020-2021 value and may be offered even smaller contracts in free agency next year. They also have longer-term stability as the NBA tries to recover financially.

Doesn't really change our chances of keeping both players-- I think we're likely to retain both if we want them. It just means both are likely to opt-out of their player option, instead of looking for a longer-term deal (potentially even cheaper per year)
WCS and THJ have exercised their options for next season.

https://twitter.com/All_Things_Mavs/...93015227584512

Old 11-15-2020, 11:14 AM   #461
MFFL
Guru

If we sacrifice the 31st pick, maybe OKC will take Jackson instead of DFS. Jackson is an expiring contract and supposedly OKC wants to clear the deck

So the trade on our end would be Jackson/Wright/31st/pick swap with OKC
Old 11-15-2020, 12:13 PM   #462
KillerLeft

Quote:
I actually kind of like all of that, but let me ask, what makes you think this actually will happen? Other than simply thinking that it's something that realistically could happen?
I think Chris Paul to PHX will happen. The rest is just based off of the leak of who might be involved. After thinking about it for way too long, this just seems like a Mavs move. It's really just a feeling I have. It might totally not happen at all, but out of everything I've heard/read/talked with people about these past two months, this is my favorite.
Old 11-15-2020, 12:14 PM   #463
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
I don't think they wasted Dirk's career early. Dirk had to become Dirk and he was not that early on. I'd say they wasted the end of his prime for sure.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 12:15 PM   #464
KillerLeft

Quote:
If we get involved in the Paul trade I could see us winding up with the 25th pick instead of the 18th. We gotta pay something
So, in my trade above, what the Mavs would be paying is DFS (fairly significant) and the service of taking Rubio's guaranteed money past next year off the shoulders of OKC, who's rebuilding (VERY significant). Mix in the idea that both PHX and Chris Paul are reportedly trying to find Oubre and Rubio good spots to land (this is why you get Dal and LAC involved at all) and it all makes sense to me.
Old 11-15-2020, 12:23 PM   #465
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

I, personally, would have little interest in DFS for Rubio at least not until many other scenarios are exhausted.

Old 11-15-2020, 12:23 PM   #466
KillerLeft

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post

Actually, no. All Things Mavs misfired on this one.

Bobby Marks published something in which his PREDICTION for them was worded "exercised player option" in past tense, but it was his prediction. They won't do it until Thursday, I don't think, but I do expect them both to opt in.
Old 11-15-2020, 12:29 PM   #467
KillerLeft

Quote:
I, personally, would have little interest in DFS for Rubio at least not until many other scenarios are exhausted.
Scenarios like what? Let's discuss them!
Old 11-15-2020, 12:32 PM   #468
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

So is reuniting Dragic and Luka not happening this year?
There would be hardly any drop off in playmaking if Dragic ran
the floor when Luka was off. Or is he going to be too expensive and
want to run it back with the Heat.
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 12:36 PM   #469
KillerLeft

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_dobber View Post
So is reuniting Dragic and Luka not happening this year?
There would be hardly any drop off in playmaking if Dragic ran
the floor when Luka was off. Or is he going to be too expensive and
want to run it back with the Heat.
Great one. I actually think he was very high on their list.

I think Dragic wants to go back to Miami, and is negotiating other teams to leverage Miami into offering a multi-year deal. Remember when Dallas offered Tyson Chandler that one year deal after the championship because they thought they were getting Dwight Howard? There's lots of speculation that Riley will do that to Dragic. If they do, I can see him finding his way here, but if they offer him 2-3 years, I think he re-signs.

I would love Dragic here. I could see it happening. I think I like Rubio better because of age and defense, though.
Old 11-15-2020, 01:03 PM   #470
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Was wondering who was going to replace Silas...

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1328033848182116357

Old 11-15-2020, 01:15 PM   #471
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

If they both opt-in, then that's interesting to be sure.

2020-2021 - 12/15 guys on contract
C - KP/Boban/WCS/Kleber/Powell
PF - DFS
SF - Doncic/Jackson
SG - THJ/Curry
PG - Brunson/ Wright

Expiring: Lee, Barea, Burke, MKG, two-way guys
Picks: 1st round (18), 2nd round (31)
Cap: $0

2021-2022 - 8/15 guys on contract
KP/Kleber/Powell
DFS
Doncic
Curry/Wright
Brunson

Expiring: THJ, WCS, Jackson, Boban
Picks: 2nd round (48-ish)
Cap space: 34mill

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 11-15-2020 at 01:18 PM.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 01:23 PM   #472
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Doncic as SF in any depth chart hurts my eyes
Old 11-15-2020, 01:24 PM   #473
MFFL
Guru

Quote:
So, in my trade above, what the Mavs would be paying is DFS (fairly significant) and the service of taking Rubio's guaranteed money past next year off the shoulders of OKC, who's rebuilding (VERY significant). Mix in the idea that both PHX and Chris Paul are reportedly trying to find Oubre and Rubio good spots to land (this is why you get Dal and LAC involved at all) and it all makes sense to me.
But we are also giving OKC significant negative equity in Wright who has 2 years left on his contract as well. I'm not sure if DFS is enough of trade chip to overcome Wright AND still keep us in the deal

I would rather send Jackson instead of DFS and include a pick swap and the 31st. We'll still get a good player at 25 - possibly the same player that we would get at 18
Old 11-15-2020, 01:31 PM   #474
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Doncic as SF in any depth chart hurts my eyes
I mean it's more about size than role. We still saw Rick playing guys from each category. Doncic played PG, but we still had Curry/Wright/Burke, etc on the floor
Old 11-15-2020, 01:52 PM   #475
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Seems like quite a few mavs fans are quick to trade DFS.

Not sure why because he's the perfect type of long wing players you want to surround luka and KP with defensively.

The Mavs should be trying to add another defender to pair with DFS to give them more options on defense not take one of your only and best options away.

Did we not just see Miami play lights out defense to reach the finals with multiple long wings.

Aren't we tired of seeing little guys like Brunson, THJ and Curry get exposed do to bad matchups.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 01:54 PM   #476
KillerLeft

Quote:
But we are also giving OKC significant negative equity in Wright who has 2 years left on his contract as well. I'm not sure if DFS is enough of trade chip to overcome Wright AND still keep us in the deal

I would rather send Jackson instead of DFS and include a pick swap and the 31st. We'll still get a good player at 25 - possibly the same player that we would get at 18
Well, A) it's not entirely clear that Wright would end up in OKC...that might've been the reason to get LAC involved. I assume part of the reason to expand the deal to the multi-team level is to keep as much of that guaranteed money off of OkC's roster as possible.

B) the cost is the cost. I'm sure the Mavs would prefer your deal, too. They're certainly not TRYING to trade DFS, but if he's involved, some team wants it that way, either PHX or LAC.

I agree that your deal is better for the Mavs, and I'd sure hate to see DFS go. But, if that's what it costs I'm still in, personally. I think Rubio makes them significantly better on both sides of the ball.
Old 11-15-2020, 01:57 PM   #477
KillerLeft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
Seems like quite a few mavs fans are quick to trade DFS.
No, no...none of that here on my end. I'm DFS's biggest fan, I promise you. I've been sticking up for him for YEARS.

But, there's absolutely no question that to get a player of value, a player who actually makes a difference, either DFS, Kleber, Curry or #18 is going to be outgoing, and possibly more than one of them. That's just how it is.

Clearly, you don't move one of them in a deal that makes you worse. That goes without saying. This is one that I believe makes them significantly better.
Old 11-15-2020, 04:15 PM   #478
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

DFS was our #1 defensive player and improved his 3pt shooting every year (.311->37.6 last)

He's also on a very friendly contract

Do you make him off limits? Absolutely not, but the dude has underrated value
Old 11-15-2020, 04:17 PM   #479
KillerLeft

Quote:
DFS was our #1 defensive player and improved his 3pt shooting every year (.311->37.6 last)

Totally agree.
Old 11-15-2020, 04:23 PM   #480
sefant77
Guru

Quote:

Only way i trade any of DFS/Kleber/Curry is for an incoming allstar level type (who isnt 33y or older).

Too much value in their skill/salary combo