Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 10-21-2004, 10:41 AM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Harris could point the way, Eschmeyer might retire

Harris could point the way

By Art Garcia
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

DALLAS - Could Devin Harris start at point guard in a pinch for the Mavericks?

Scratch that. Could the Mavs succeed with the rookie leading the way?

"It's better to bring along a rookie as slowly as you can," Mavs coach Don Nelson said Wednesday after practice. "You and me and everyone else knows that rookies cost you games until they get experience."

That's not to say Nelson would bring player/assistant coach Avery Johnson out of semi-retirement to take the reins should Jason Terry sprain an ankle. Harris would be the man.

For better. For worse.

"He has the potential, but you don't want to put a lot of pressure on him right now," said Johnson, who works closely with Harris every day. "He has the potential and a lot of skill, and sometimes you don't find out how good someone is until he's pressed into action. Fortunately for us, he's not right now.

"So he has to continue to learn and grow. It takes a long time. It's very rare that a guy can do what a Gary Payton or Jason Kidd or Tony Parker did. It took me longer. It took [John] Stockton longer. It took Steve [Nash] longer."

Harris turned in his strongest performance of the preseason in a 107-105 loss to Milwaukee on Tuesday. The Mavs (0-3) are back on the floor tonight against New York at American Airlines Center.

Harris tallied 16 points, six assists, five steals and turned the ball over only once in 33 minutes against the Bucks. Terry, adapting to his role as a starter, also had his best game with 17 points, six assists and one turnover.

"They made a real nice step in the last couple days running our screen-and-rolls a lot better," Nelson said. "The things that we worked on, they did in the game."

In his first two games, Harris totaled 17 points, six assists and two turnovers in 30 minutes. He felt more at ease the third time out.

"I know it looks better on paper, but more importantly I was in better position most of the time," said Harris, who missed out on a chance to win the game in the final seconds. "I kind of knew what I was doing out there and knew what I wanted to do. I'm getting more comfortable within our offensive and defensive schemes."

Starting rookies, at least on occasion, isn't unheard of under Nelson. Marquis Daniels and Josh Howard worked their way in the lineup last season. Dirk Nowitzki and Eduardo Najera did the same in recent years.

"It's always hard for a rookie to start an NBA game," said Michael Finley, who makes a point of taking young guards under his wing. "Even when they're playing well, a lot of coaches are reluctant to start a rookie. But some rookies are special, they can limit their mistakes and coaches are more apt to play those [rookies].

"Devin, to a certain extent, has that way about himself. If he continues to learn the NBA game, starting could be a possibility for him. If not now, definitely in the future."

It's no secret Harris is the point guard of the future. Teams usually can't miss on the fifth pick in the draft, Harris' slot after a stellar three-year career at Wisconsin.

Johnson raves about Harris' talent level and qualities that can't be taught. He's been billed by some as a young Kevin Johnson.

"Quick hands, quick feet, instincts with the ball, without the ball, defensively, offensively," Avery Johnson said of Harris. "He does a lot of things you can't teach.

"The rookie just has to be able to bear the wrath of Nellie when that time comes. Not if it comes, when it comes. And then he has to bear the wrath of me because I'm hard on point guards."

The nicest thing Johnson will call Harris for the next year is "rook." Harris doesn't mind. He also doesn't mind being called on to start if needed.

Ready or not, this year or next, the starting lineup is where he wants to be.

"Without a doubt," the confident rookie said. "They're not trying to force me into that situation, they want me to get my feet under me, but if the situation presents itself, I'll be more than ready."

Eschmeyer might retire

Veteran center Evan Eschmeyer, re-acquired in an off-season trade with Golden State, likely will decide in the next week if his injured left knee will force him to retire, according to his agent. Eschmeyer, out all of last season, has little cartilage in the knee.

"He's been rehabbing for two years, " agent Mark Bartelstein said Wednesday. "He still wants to play. It's a matter of whether his body is able to do it."

If Eschmeyer does retire, the roster is reduced to 16 players. The team can only carry 15 into the regular season. If the Mavs can reach a buyout agreement with Tariq Abdul-Wahad, reserve point guard Dan Dickau could make the team.

Sasser on board

Former Texas Tech standout Jason Sasser joined the team Wednesday. Sasser, signed to a non-guaranteed contract, provides depth for the short term with Jerry Stackhouse and Marquis Daniels out with injuries.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:40 PM   #2
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Harris could point the way, Eschmeyer might retire

Uh oh Sike, maybe my name isn't poorly chosed after all [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]....ahh I needed an article like this to throw in your face.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 05:47 PM   #3
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

cool, Jason Sasser signed...I played HS ball against him. He's gotta be 31 by now. I can't believe he is still kicking it around training camps waiting to get cut. Hell, his knees were shot in HS...he had to sit down at halfcourt when Kimball was shooting FTs because they hurt him so bad in two games I played against him. Still think he put up 26 a game on us though...good stuff. Anyway, just rambling. Hope he gets some p.t. in at least one preseason game.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 06:03 PM   #4
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Harris could point the way, Eschmeyer might retire

If Harris is good enough to start, Terry is good enough to trade.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 08:40 PM   #5
Phil Helmuth

Phil Helmuth is on a distinguished road

Dear Mr. Eschmeyer, I Phil Helmuth, would appreciate it if you would retire. Not only would you save us a roster spot it will also save you the shame of once again being ridiculed for being the highest paid worst player in the league. Thank you very much for your time,
Sincerely, Phil Helmuth.