Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-14-2005, 10:41 AM   #1
MaverickFFL

MaverickFFL is on a distinguished road
Default TNT's Commentators - Seattle game

Can anyone tell me anything about the ESPN commentators throughout the game and what they said about us, good, bad, ridiculous, etc.?

I watched the game on UPN 21 (local with Pinto, Ortegal and Ro) for obvious reasons

EDIT: haha sorry guys, my mistake (espn, not tnt)
MaverickFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2005, 10:48 AM   #2
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:TNT's Commentators - Seattle game

Game was on ESPN, not TNT.

Walton, while still his strange old self, did spend a lot of the night admiring our team defense.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 10:49 AM   #3
sbjensen

sbjensen will become famous soon enough
Default RE:TNT's Commentators - Seattle game

Indeed, Walton said twice that this was the best he had ever seen the Mavs play, in their 25-year franchise history.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:55 AM   #4
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:ESPN's Commentators - Seattle game

Since we're talking TV broadcasts, did anyone happen to catch the HDNet broadcast? They had some serious issues most of the night with sound and breaks. We quickly switched to the ESPN HD and the picture was even better. Surprising lack of quality from HDNet.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 04-14-2005, 12:16 PM   #5
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future
Default RE: ESPN's Commentators - Seattle game

Walton is hillarious! "They should give him a contract extension in the 3rd quarter!"
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 12:18 PM   #6
MFFL41

MFFL41 is on a distinguished road

I actually for once enjoyed the commentary. Although Walton always ends the segments with a question, I laughed everytime. I really like that Brent Mussburger guy. His voice is commanding even though he was clueless most of the game. Finally for once ESPN did a good job. At least we didn't have Steve "Snapper" Jones.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:25 PM   #7
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: jthig32
Since we're talking TV broadcasts, did anyone happen to catch the HDNet broadcast? They had some serious issues most of the night with sound and breaks. We quickly switched to the ESPN HD and the picture was even better. Surprising lack of quality from HDNet.

So HDNET on satallite shows in HD but they don't show HD over the upn21...it's quite frustrating.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 12:30 PM   #8
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally posted by: dude1394
Quote:

So HDNET on satallite shows in HD but they don't show HD over the upn21...it's quite frustrating.
Nothing frustrating about it...Cuban wants you to watch HDNet..He is trying to build the network and this is just one way for him to do it. It's a shame that the only way to get HDNet in Dallas is to subscribe to Dish or Directv, both of whom are downrezzing and compressing the signal too much. Comcast won't carry it because it's too "similar" to InHD..total BS.

back on topic - I only watched the 1st half last night(east coast 10:30 starts SUCK) but when the mavs were rolling early on, Walton was saying "this is the best i've ever seen the mavs play in the 25 years of their existence"..and then the sonics actually took the lead at one point and walton goes, "what are the mavs going to do? seattle has come back with a vengeance..everyone is hitting 3s" or something to that effect..So the mavs go from being one of the best teams to one that will panic if they lose the lead..all in one half

Brilliant!
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 12:40 PM   #9
Tarzan

Tarzan is on a distinguished road

Walton also said that Dirk should be 1st team all NBA this year over KG. His team was Nash, McGrady, Nowitzki, Duncan & Shaq.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:44 PM   #10
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Nash, McGrady, Nowitzki, Duncan & Shaq
Dang, I'd like to start this team for my fantasy group.

<edit>
against Kidd, Kobe, Peja, KG, and Yao.

Man would that be a game to watch.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 12:45 PM   #11
MFFL41

MFFL41 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Walton also said that Dirk should be 1st team all NBA this year over KG. His team was Nash, McGrady, Nowitzki, Duncan & Shaq.
I'd have to agree with him. Maybe, just maybe, Iverson or LeBron over McGrady, but just maybe.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:13 PM   #12
Tarzan

Tarzan is on a distinguished road

Walton also spent some time comparing Dirk's first 7 years to Bird's first 7. Surprisingly, in that time span Dirk leads Bird in assists. Something Waton failed to point out is that Dirk skipped college. A more appropriate comparison might be Bird's 1st 3 years vs. Dirk's 5th -7th years.

Walton made a good point that in Bird's first 7 years Bird won championships and the MVP award. Dirk doesn't compare to Bird in that regard. Hopefully that will soon change.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:21 PM   #13
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

Quote:

I watched the game on HDnet and the picture was clear and beautiful as always. The only problem I have with HDnet is the sound cuts in out.
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 01:28 PM   #14
Pirate

Pirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to all

I watched SOME of the game on ESPN, and some on 21. Unfortunately, Musberger is such an incredible beating, that it is hard to watch a lot of the ESPN feed. He still has the same annoying pomposity in his delivery, the all-knowing voice who gives you a superfluous recital of what the team needs to do or wants to do at thgis point in the game (which of course is pulled straight from his derriere), that got him run off the air years ago.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 01:48 PM   #15
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: rakesh.s
Quote:
Originally posted by: dude1394
Quote:

Nothing frustrating about it...Cuban wants you to watch HDNet..He is trying to build the network and this is just one way for him to do it. It's a shame that the only way to get HDNet in Dallas is to subscribe to Dish or Directv, both of whom are downrezzing and compressing the signal too much. Comcast won't carry it because it's too "similar" to InHD..total BS.

back on topic - I only watched the 1st half last night(east coast 10:30 starts SUCK) but when the mavs were rolling early on, Walton was saying "this is the best i've ever seen the mavs play in the 25 years of their existence"..and then the sonics actually took the lead at one point and walton goes, "what are the mavs going to do? seattle has come back with a vengeance..everyone is hitting 3s" or something to that effect..So the mavs go from being one of the best teams to one that will panic if they lose the lead..all in one half

Brilliant!

Well it's quite frustrating for me. And that's who I'm talking about. But I'm a firm believer in the free-market system and cubes can charge/do whatever he thinks will increase his dollars.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 02:11 PM   #16
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

The thing that I liked about Walton last night was that he stated that Showbe the drama puss wasn't even on his top three teams of all stars this year.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 02:58 PM   #17
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
I watched the game on HDnet and the picture was clear and beautiful as always. The only problem I have with HDnet is the sound cuts in out.
Yeah, guess I should have been a little more clear: The picture wasn't a poor quality, it was obviously wonderful compared to regular television. But, if you saw the ESPN HD feed, I think you would have agreed that their picture was better. Add to that the fact that the sound was hit or miss and I was pretty disappointed in HDNet.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 04-14-2005, 04:00 PM   #18
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Walton also spent some time comparing Dirk's first 7 years to Bird's first 7. Surprisingly, in that time span Dirk leads Bird in assists.
Those stats were obviously wrong and it suprised me that Walton didn't know enough to challenge them. In his 1st seven years Bird averaged:

and 6.8

Prior to this year, Dirk's high was 3.0
Old 04-14-2005, 08:10 PM   #19
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirno2000
Quote:
Walton also spent some time comparing Dirk's first 7 years to Bird's first 7. Surprisingly, in that time span Dirk leads Bird in assists.
Those stats were obviously wrong and it suprised me that Walton didn't know enough to challenge them. In his 1st seven years Bird averaged:

and 6.8

Prior to this year, Dirk's high was 3.0
I knew that stat was impossible. Bird was the greatest passing forward ever. That's pretty funny that his former teammate didn't seem to realize that stat was wrong.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 08:54 PM   #20
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

He did say something to the effect of "those passing numbers seem low." I suppose he probably recognized that the crew had made a mistake in the graphic and he didn't see any profit in drawing attention to it?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote