Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-11-2009, 04:32 PM   #41
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
Baron Davis games played

2002-2003 - 50
2003-2004 - 67
2004-2005 - 46
2005-2006 - 54
2006-2007 - 63
2007-2008 - 82 (contract year)
2008-2009 - 38 (of 52 so far)

"Nuff said"
Players who play for bad teams usually miss a lot of action. Marcus Camby was the same way. If he missed a lot of action for a good team i'd probably take inconsideration his past games missed missed.

Quote:
Ever hear of a team called the Miami Heat?
You show me who's the Dwayne Wade on this team who can drive to the rack and draw contact to shoot 20 free throws a game or a big defender like James Posey who can hit the big shot when needed. I don't see either on this team. And I won't take anything away from the Heat did but if they faced the Spurs or any other contender in the finals they would've been finished in 4 or 5 games just like the Mavs were about to do to them. You live by the jumpshot you die by it as well.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2009, 04:32 PM   #42
Willstar

Willstar is on a distinguished road

shaq would have such a huge impact on the mavs that donnie wont do it prolly.

Willstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:32 PM   #43
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
But the Suns currently suck with Shaq. There's not much different in personnel. Well other than the fact our talent is inferior to the Suns even without Shaq.
It's the build of the personnel. The Suns went from a Ferrari to a Hummer in their style of play. You have 2 styles pulling at each other and it isn't working. Nowitzki is a different type of 4, where he doesn't need to be on the block to be effective, unlike Amare. If you plant Dirk 20 feet out, entering to Shaq, that allows Shaq to go one on one or at the least kick it back out to Dirk for the J.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:32 PM   #44
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Players who play for bad teams usually miss a lot of action
So your health is contingent on the quality of your team?

Seems like the quality of teams is contingent on the health of their players.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 02-11-2009 at 04:34 PM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:35 PM   #45
MX425

MX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to all

We are not the Suns. They are a team that is un-happy, and is trying to take a bunch of square cut players and shove them in a round hole. Dirks game is mid-range with the ocassional 3 and ever more rare post -up. Amare is a pick and roll dunker. Drik next to shaq would be very hard to defend. Kidd is a PG that would be more apt to getting Shaq the ball where he needs it.

I don't think Shaq hands us a ring, but he def puts us in the conversation.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:38 PM   #46
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You show me who's the Dwayne Wade on this team who can drive to the rack and draw contact to shoot 20 free throws a game or a big defender like James Posey who can hit the big shot when needed. I don't see either on this team. And I won't take anything away from the Heat did but if they faced the Spurs or any other contender in the finals they would've been finished in 4 or 5 games just like the Mavs were about to do to them. You live by the jumpshot you die by it as well.
That doesn't change the fact that Shaq waltzed into town and won them a ring - Wade wouldn't have been as effective if we didn't have to pick our poison between him and Shaq (unfortunately the refs made that decision for us...)

And that's exactly the point - you don't need a Dwayne Wade to pair with Shaq when you have Kidd and Dirk (pick your poison, you'll still get beat...)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 02-11-2009 at 04:39 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:38 PM   #47
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Screw BD. I don't want that waste on the Mavs.

That said, good read, and I agree with most everything that was said. Only things to add are that I'm greedy so I want Grant Hill along with Shaq in a Suns trade, and I think a Josh/VC swap would be a better-than-lateral move for the Mavs, but I still listen real closely to everything Kidd has to say about Vince before I trade for him, regardless of how attractive the deal is from a talent standpoint.

Oh, and if we're going to trade with the Wizards I say we just go all out, offer them mad savings and try to get both Caron and Antawn (pipe dream).
Old 02-11-2009, 04:41 PM   #48
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Sportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
Davis is about himself, he don't care about anything but his check. You don't want his attitude any where near your team.
Probably that's the reason (in addition to the fact he's injury prone) Cubes didn't pull the trigger

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former." (Albert Einstein)
Sportstudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:42 PM   #49
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
Screw BD. I don't want that waste on the Mavs.
Mark Cuban agrees...

EDIT: I just noticed Sportstudi said the same thing...

Last edited by Underdog; 02-11-2009 at 04:43 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:43 PM   #50
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Apparently. Guys injury prone on bad teams coming to a solid team and all of a sudden becoming healthy? Last I saw of Mcdyess he was in a wheel chair never to play again. Now he can crank out 82 games in his 30's? Something's not right.

Quote:
It's the build of the personnel. The Suns went from a Ferrari to a Hummer in their style of play. You have 2 styles pulling at each other and it isn't working. Nowitzki is a different type of 4, where he doesn't need to be on the block to be effective, unlike Amare. If you plant Dirk 20 feet out, entering to Shaq, that allows Shaq to go one on one or at the least kick it back out to Dirk for the J.
Amare and Shaq aren't struggling. Their playing great. The only reason there not better defensively is because Amare leaves much to be desired on the defensive end just like Dirk does. Regardless of how Amare scores he still does it at a very high effecient rate and Shaq's having his best season in a long time. Yet, they're the 8th seed.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:49 PM   #51
Underdog

Quote:
Apparently. Guys injury prone on bad teams coming to a solid team and all of a sudden becoming healthy? Last I saw of Mcdyess he was in a wheel chair never to play again. Now he can crank out 82 games in his 30's? Something's not right.
Apparently????

Name another example of an injury-prone guy who went from a bad team to a good one and suddenly became less injury-prone (you should be able to crank out quite a list if you're accepting a half-witted idea like "guys are more injury prone on bad squads" as a fact...)

Last edited by Underdog; 02-11-2009 at 04:50 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:49 PM   #52
MX425

MX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to all

I think Hill would be a nice addition to if he could be had. Maybe Cubes needs ot be a little underhanded and call Saver himself. Get the owner to agree to a deal the FO would not make. See how much he wants to keep that money in his pockets.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:50 PM   #53
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
That doesn't change the fact that Shaq waltzed into town and won them a ring - Wade wouldn't have been as effective if we didn't have to pick our poison between him and Shaq (unfortunately the refs made that decision for us...)

And that's exactly the point - you don't need a Dwayne Wade to pair with Shaq when you have Kidd and Dirk (pick your poison, you'll still get beat...)
Shaq played a part but seriously you replace Wade with anyone in this league not named Kobe or Lebron do they still win that championship? It had a lot more to do than just Shaq. He played his part but he wasn't the one given the ball when the game was on the line. Big shots were hit and rarely if any where they made by Shaq. Alonzo Mourning was another guy huge in that series.

Quote:
We are not the Suns. They are a team that is un-happy, and is trying to take a bunch of square cut players and shove them in a round hole. Dirks game is mid-range with the ocassional 3 and ever more rare post -up. Amare is a pick and roll dunker. Drik next to shaq would be very hard to defend. Kidd is a PG that would be more apt to getting Shaq the ball where he needs it.
Amare is more than a pick and roll dunker. He's on the mid range looking for that jumper as well. Shaq does not command double teams like he did when he was 27. With the way some of you guys are talking I think you guys think Shaq is 27 years old again. In a offense where Kidd dominates the ball I still don't see the Shaq move having more upside than a Baron and Kaman trade.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:50 PM   #54
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Apparently????

Name another example of an injury-prone guy who went from a bad team to a good one and suddenly became less injury-prone (you should be able to crank out quite a list if you're accepting a half-witted idea like "guys being more injury prone on bad squads" as a fact...)
Save it. He's firmly entrenched and grasping at straws now.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:53 PM   #55
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Apparently????

Name another example of an injury-prone guy who went from a bad team to a good one and suddenly became less injury-prone (you should be able to crank out quite a list if you're accepting a half-witted idea like "guys are more injury prone on bad squads" as a fact...)
Off the top Marcus Camby and Antonio Mcdyess are the only ones that come to mind. I'm sure if given time I can find more examples.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:54 PM   #56
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Saying something like "What does money have to do with anything?" invalidates any opinions you have on possible trades.

Financial flexibility is huge. Always has been, always will be.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:56 PM   #57
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:

Amare and Shaq aren't struggling. Their playing great. The only reason there not better defensively is because Amare leaves much to be desired on the defensive end just like Dirk does. Regardless of how Amare scores he still does it at a very high effecient rate and Shaq's having his best season in a long time. Yet, they're the 8th seed.
...individual numbers are up, but chemistry is shot. This is a team without a solid offensive sense. You look at the C's and KG's numbers, its probably the worst of his career, but they are a well oiled machine, taking advantage of each other's strengths. I think if you have your stars on the same page, Dirk and Shaq, it will be huge. I don't think Amare and Shaq are on the same page with Stevie and that is what is hurting them.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:57 PM   #58
Underdog

Quote:
Shaq played a part but seriously you replace Wade with anyone in this league not named Kobe or Lebron do they still win that championship? It had a lot more to do than just Shaq. He played his part but he wasn't the one given the ball when the game was on the line. Big shots were hit and rarely if any where they made by Shaq. Alonzo Mourning was another guy huge in that series.
Who shut down the paint and forced us into jump-shooting?

(I don't know if you've noticed, but basketball is played on two ends of the court...)

Old 02-11-2009, 04:59 PM   #59
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
...individual numbers are up, but chemistry is shot. This is a team without a solid offensive sense. You look at the C's and KG's numbers, its probably the worst of his career, but they are a well oiled machine, taking advantage of each other's strengths. I think if you have your stars on the same page, Dirk and Shaq, it will be huge. I don't think Amare and Shaq are on the same page with Stevie and that is what is hurting them.
So when Shaq comes here we're going to automatically have chemistry? See with the Shaq deal I just don't understand why people are under the assumption that we can just make a trade and win a championship. When has that ever happened? I remember when the Rockets traded for Drexler and got a ring that year. But aside from that I can't recall a team making a trade during the season and winning a championship that same year.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:02 PM   #60
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Who shut down the paint and forced us into jump-shooting?

(I don't know if you've noticed, but basketball is played on two ends of the court...)
Mourning?

The Finals I remember this team forced jumpshots because they didn't have the ability to attack the rack.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:04 PM   #61
Underdog

Quote:
So when Shaq comes here we're going to automatically have chemistry? See with the Shaq deal I just don't understand why people are under the assumption that we can just make a trade and win a championship. When has that ever happened? I remember when the Rockets traded for Drexler and got a ring that year. But aside from that I can't recall a team making a trade during the season and winning a championship that same year.
Who said anything about this year?

Seems to me like ANY big trade this team makes would be about next season - that's why Cuban wants to re-sign Kidd...

also: (in addition to Clyde the Glide's title in Houston, Rasheed Wallace won a title with the Pistons after being traded at the deadline...)

Last edited by Underdog; 02-11-2009 at 05:14 PM. Reason: because "drexler" doesn't sound as cool as "clyde the glide"
Old 02-11-2009, 05:13 PM   #62
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think shaq would be difficult to integrate imo. Nothing like a point guard. You saw it happen in detroit for example. You saw it happen in LA with Gasol.

Bigs don't make as many decisions as the points do. I think it would work out fine.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:19 PM   #63
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Can some post the Shaq in Mavs' uniform picture?
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:20 PM   #64
Underdog

Quote:
Mourning?

The Finals I remember this team forced jumpshots because they didn't have the ability to attack the rack.
Funny - the Finals I remember featured a whole lot of Shaq's elbows in Dirk's face every time he attacked the rack (for a no-call, of course...)

Old 02-11-2009, 05:26 PM   #65
Underdog

Default also...

Quote:
Big shots were hit and rarely if any where they made by Shaq. Alonzo Mourning was another guy huge in that series.
Mourning only scored 15 total points in the 4 games that the Heat won (22 for the entire series...)

Shaq scored 16 in Game 3 alone (60 in the 4 games they won, 82 total...)

Just because you SAY something happened doesn't mean it really did...

Last edited by Underdog; 02-11-2009 at 06:35 PM. Reason: I'm a poor mathmagician
Old 02-11-2009, 05:31 PM   #66
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Sportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
I don't think shaq would be difficult to integrate imo. Nothing like a point guard. You saw it happen in detroit for example. You saw it happen in LA with Gasol.

Bigs don't make as many decisions as the points do. I think it would work out fine.
I agree. And Shaq's current numbers (17,5/9,0) are quite good. Not that many centers have better ones, especially if you take his high FG-% into consideration. To leave Shaq alone or to put a weaker guy on him is still a huge risk. I personally think with him we would be a more dangerous team. It would leave Dirk open on the perimeter and allow Kidd to dish out assists either to Shaq or to Dirk (not to mention Terry/Wright at the 2 and Barnes or whoever takes the 3).

Shaq's scoring almost equals Josh's (17,9), so we wouldn't lose much if we give JHo and Stack for him and Barnes. Yes, we would lose Josh's perimeter defence, but Shaq was also a member of three All-Defense-Teams, something Josh never achieved (and probably won't). For me the upgrade of post-defence weighs out the loss on the perimeter. Yes, Shaq is older and the years he made the AD-Squad are a couple of years ago (last time 2003). But he's still a huge presence in the paint. And not to forget: He's coming off the books in 2010.

Just as a sidenote: Although I have to admit that Josh played well recently, I really don't mind to give up a dickhead. He pissed me off way too often in the past, thus I'm not that unhappy if he leaves.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former." (Albert Einstein)

Last edited by Sportstudi; 02-11-2009 at 05:32 PM.
Sportstudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:31 PM   #67
darkwitzki
Golden Member

darkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of light

Got a call from Cuban, he said he's going to get Shaq as requested.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:32 PM   #68
craggmac
Golden Member

craggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud of

Screw Baron Davis man! Bring in the Diesel!!
craggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:33 PM   #69
craggmac
Golden Member

craggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleDipping View Post
Can some post the Shaq in Mavs' uniform picture?
No Problem!
craggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:37 PM   #70
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby View Post
Good financially for Phoenix, not from a basketball standpoint unless you are talking about just the regular season. But Nash + Amare + Howard would never win a ring.

OTOH, a Kidd + Dirk + Shaq brings us closer into contention. It's all about the playoffs, baby.
It would bring us closer. We would have this year and next. In the offseason we have a pick, our exceptions and eventually Damp's contract(although he's perfect as Shaq's backup). This may be the best deal for us. I like Baron/Camby/Kaman but Shaq would be a perfect fit here.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:49 PM   #71
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Seems like the quality of teams is contingent on the health of their players.
Game, set, match. Logic for the win.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:52 PM   #72
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

The guy that interests me is Salmons, if we could get him cheap.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:57 PM   #73
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Quote:
True, can't beat around the bush about that stat. Difficult to get practice time focusing on getting sets and with Shaq being a good part of the offense...probably 25%, I can see problems when it comes down to playing the Celtics or Cavs in the finals.....hey Gasol got the Lake Show a sniff of it.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:01 PM   #74
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Something I was just thinking about, in light of the comments about needing a guy like Wade to play off of Shaq. The obvious first counter is that having a guy like Dirk to play off of him might be even better. The less obvious second one concerns JET. I would not at all be surprised to see him find an even higher gear as a scoring threat with a low post threat like Shaq on the team. I swear, JET's fg% on those little pull-up 10-12 footers has got to be somewhere north of 65%. With Shaq on the floor you almost wouldn't be able to stop him from getting open looks on those.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:02 PM   #75
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

I disagree with a couple of those trades being "lateral".

Josh for Vince ....VC would bring alot more fire power then Josh and also 5 reb and 5 assists ans is another guy that played with Kidd, although not as well as RJ.

and

Josh for Jefferson ...Kidd and RJ got along well and know each others game well, soo there wont me much problem getting him into the flow, IMO he better then Josh, but if we can get Villenueva then IMO that would be a steal.

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:03 PM   #76
DLord

DLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud of

1. Regarding the Shaq idea ...

a. If you didn't see it, we wrote a long detailed explanation of this trade idea two weeks ago, that gave all the thinking behind it. None of that has changed (other than the Suns are even more desperate than before to save money.) It was linked in this article but didn't get copied on putting it here. Here's the link: http://www.dallasbasketball.com/full...mn.php?id=1281

b. If they get Shaq and the Mavs don't win a title this season, have they lost an opportunity they otherwise had? I think he makes them better - whether or not he gets them all the way there, who knows.
... Also, adding Shaq wouldn't bring nearly as many struggles to fit him in, as trading for Kidd to run the team.

c. What are you giving up? Besides the money angle, you give up Josh Howard. I like Josh, but I just think Dallas-with-Shaq is much more of a title threat than Dallas-with-Josh.
...Also, if the Mavs are truly serious about grabbing a free agent in 2010, they will have to decline Josh's option - so he's gone in the summer of 2010. That erases the "Josh is younger and will be here longer" issue from being a factor.

2. To me, the window they need to work in is 2009 playoffs and 2010 playoffs. Then they hit the 2010 free agent chase with a chance to try to get a big talent on build a different way. That makes this a short-term trade - and Shaq would be ideal.

3. So I keep coming back to one issue: what if anything is out there that can make this team a contender for 2009 and 2010 before they go for a new core? There are many ideas that add a role player, but is that enough to put them on the same tier as the LA's and SA's in the West? There are certainly no guarantees, but I think Shaq could do that.

4. Why would Phoenix trade Shaq? Well, besides the fact that they ARE shopping him making moot the need to prove they would, the pure reality is that Shaq+Amare hasn't worked. Shaq takes up all the space that Nash and Amare need left open to thrive. And now Sarver has ramped up the prioritizing of his money issues (one national report this week went to far as to say Sarver has expressed in trade talks that he doesn't really prioritize at this point the talent balance of a trade, just so long as he ends up with huge money savings and a team that draws fans.)

5. I don't trust Davis, so I'm rolling with Kidd for that 2-year window (assuming I can). I think this has become Kidd's team anyhow.

6. But if the Clipps offered Davis-Kaman for Kidd, do we really think they did that expecting to keep Kidd? The fact that Kidd is playing great is pointless to a lottery-bound team, so it's obvious that offer was made as a pure salary dump.
...Therefore isn't the thing to do to go back to them after saying "we don't want to eat ALL of that" and offer them HALF of that salary dump? I'll take Camby off their hands for expiring stuff, any day. I'd take Kaman instead if they insisted, but like it less. And they can keep Davis.
DLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:07 PM   #77
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

I like Jefferson, but I think he's a (small) step down from Josh. Factor in the contract, and I lose interest unless Sessions and perhaps Villenueva are also coming the Mavs' way.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:14 PM   #78
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075 View Post
The guy that interests me is Salmons, if we could get him cheap.
Salmons for Stack....I like Salmons, he's a glue type of player, can play the point, 2 or 3....but more of a 6th man type, not a starter.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:18 PM   #79
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

Lets just ask the Clipps to release Kidd after the trade so we can sign him back

Kidd / Davis/ JJ
Wright/ Jet/ Davis
Josh/Wright
Dirk/Bass/Kamen
Kamen/Damp

Hhaha I wonder if it would work : )

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:29 PM   #80
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Anything that puts us in the second round is fine with me.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
"we like our team", aaaaarrrrggghhhhh, barack obama=precedent, break the bank, crack is bad, dammit horse, dirk 4 starbury, dirk for salmons! hooray, gay tags, grasping at straws, happy precedents day, i have a dream, i love jason kidd!!!!!!, it's all cuban's fault, josh 4 kobe, kidd>harris, longsufferingdouchebag, longsufferingharrisfan, longsufferingspamfag, make a trade, nitpickeverything, shaq 4 precedent, standing pat 1on1, tired head, yes we can!!!!