Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 05-21-2008, 03:16 PM   #481
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

I am nearing DD death in HBP for my girls. I'm kinda excited/scared to see their reaction. At this point they are so on the Snape is a bad guy I can't WAIT for the end of DH. I know by the time they hear of him AK'ing DD they will know they were right.

Tonight they find out how Harry finagles the Horcrux memory from Prof. Slughorn.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:22 PM   #482
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
Tonight they find out how Harry finagles the Horcrux memory from Prof. Slughorn.
Ahh the wholesome family fun of drunkenness being used for good.

"...to Parry Otter! The chosen boy who - well something of that sort"
Old 05-28-2008, 01:34 PM   #483
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

So how long has U2's location been "The Phoenix Lament". Is that where you are in reading to your daughters? If so how did they react to the death?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 05-28-2008 at 01:36 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 01:48 PM   #484
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
So how long has U2's location been "The Phoenix Lament". Is that where you are in reading to your daughters? If so how did they react to the death?
I changed it to read that about an hour ago.

My oldest girl was in tears. Both were pretty upset. My oldest girl proclaimed that Snape was her favorite character after the "Snape Victorious" chapter (because, she said, he is kind of funny and everytime you think he's bad we find out he isn't) so her viewpoint on him was shattered. I can't wait until she realizes her gut instincts were correct. I know I knew he was a bad guy from the get go(of course I had been spoiled on HBP ending before starting book 1 as you well know).
Old 05-28-2008, 01:54 PM   #485
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

My powers of perception astound even me at times.

I'm glad you get to see someone go through experiencing that without being spoiled. It was shocking.

I was always of the belief that Snape was acting on Dumbledore's wishes, but I waivered a lot in between the final two books. That chapter of his memories in DH was so refreshing, to finally know for sure, and to see what Snape was all about. I look forward to reliving that with my own kids.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 05-28-2008 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:03 PM   #486
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
My powers of perception astound even me at times.

I'm glad you get to see someone go through experiencing that without being spoiled. It was shocking.

I was always of the belief that Snape was acting on Dumbledore's wishes, but I waivered a lot in between the final two books. That chapter of his memories in DH was so refreshing, to finally know for sure, and to see what Snape was all about. I look forward to reliving that with my own kids.
Snape was always my favorite character...I felt he was good, but was perhaps a bit less sure than thiggy.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 02:13 PM   #487
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
Snape was always my favorite character...I felt he was good, but was perhaps a bit less sure than thiggy.
At the time of HBP my girlfriend and I stayed up and read it, and when we finished it she insisted he was bad and I insisted he was good, and we argued about it every day for like a month and a half. Then I broke up with her. Unrelated, though. Maybe.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:15 PM   #488
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

I was kind of expecting him to really be good.... since DD was always so insistent. I changed my mind for good (until the Prince's Tale) after the first chapter of DH. Seeing him there with Voldemort and vying for his approval was enough to turn me to the Snape is bad for sure camp. And I was glad to be wrong. Now, I didn't see the entire being in love with Lily angle. That came as a shock to the system. But I sure was glad to find out finally who had sent the Doe patronus. What a great story.

edit: and unrelated, but is the Lost thread spoiler free at the moment? You guys are killing me.

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 05-28-2008 at 02:17 PM.
u2sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 02:34 PM   #489
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I think you'll be ok in the LOST thread for that current page. It's mostly just thig and sike making fun of me anyway. I tried to start a discussion at 12:30 in there today that went nowhere.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 05-28-2008 at 02:34 PM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 02:35 PM   #490
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Quote:
I was kind of expecting him to really be good.... since DD was always so insistent. I changed my mind for good (until the Prince's Tale) after the first chapter of DH. Seeing him there with Voldemort and vying for his approval was enough to turn me to the Snape is bad for sure camp. And I was glad to be wrong. Now, I didn't see the entire being in love with Lily angle. That came as a shock to the system. But I sure was glad to find out finally who had sent the Doe patronus. What a great story.

edit: and unrelated, but is the Lost thread spoiler free at the moment? You guys are killing me.
Aeris dies.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:39 PM   #491
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I am surprised to hear you say that u2, about Lilly and Snape.

That was one of the more popular theories on the internet for a couple of books before DH came out. It was originally applied to Lupin and Lilly...many had speculated that he loved her, but then it turned to Snape and it turned out to be right.

I kind of decided at the beginning of HBP that Snape was officially bad. "Spinners End" was somewhat ominous to me. She told us that the title itself suggested something, and he took that Vow and everything....

Eventually I settled on "Snape isn't on anyone's side, he's on his side" after he killed Dumbledore....and in a way I was right, though people still say he turned out to be "good."
Old 05-28-2008, 02:42 PM   #492
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

I was the same way. I didn't do a whole lot of Potter theory reading. I had seen that I but I didn't put much stock in it.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 05-28-2008, 03:16 PM   #493
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

As I said, I started reading the series over from the beginning. I'm done with the first 5 but unfortunately my friend is borrowing number 6 from me right now, so I'm stuck for awhile.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 04:14 PM   #494
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
I am surprised to hear you say that u2, about Lilly and Snape.

That was one of the more popular theories on the internet for a couple of books before DH came out. It was originally applied to Lupin and Lilly...many had speculated that he loved her, but then it turned to Snape and it turned out to be right.

I kind of decided at the beginning of HBP that Snape was officially bad. "Spinners End" was somewhat ominous to me. She told us that the title itself suggested something, and he took that Vow and everything....

Eventually I settled on "Snape isn't on anyone's side, he's on his side" after he killed Dumbledore....and in a way I was right, though people still say he turned out to be "good."
Well.... if you remember I started reading them 3 or 4 months before DH came out. So I didn't have alot of time to mull it over to be honest. I certainly wasn't looking anywhere online to be spoiled or for theories.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:14 PM   #495
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think you'll be ok in the LOST thread for that current page. It's mostly just thig and sike making fun of me anyway.
...and who would want to miss that?!
Quote:
I tried to start a discussion at 12:30 in there today that went nowhere.
actually it got me and thiggy making fun of you.

*Harry Potter like magic*

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 05-28-2008, 11:50 PM   #496
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirobaito
At the time of HBP my girlfriend and I stayed up and read it, and when we finished it she insisted he was bad and I insisted he was good, and we argued about it every day for like a month and a half. Then I broke up with her. Unrelated, though. Maybe.
Did you call her after DH came out and say..."I told you so?"
Old 05-29-2008, 12:15 AM   #497
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeball
Did you call her after DH came out and say..."I told you so?"
We actually discussed DH online as we were reading it, even though we were no longer an item. We're still friends. But yes, I did tell her "I told you so."
Old 05-31-2008, 08:34 PM   #498
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Harry Potter is a whore
Old 05-31-2008, 09:02 PM   #499
sike
The Preacha

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanDunk
Harry Potter is a whore
but what kind of whore?

Old 05-31-2008, 10:01 PM   #500
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

im not sure exactly why this comic is funny, but it seems to pertain to this thread:

Old 06-02-2008, 01:42 AM   #501
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

^I hated Full Metal Alchemist's ending.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:33 AM   #502
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninkobei
im not sure exactly why this comic is funny, but it seems to pertain to this thread:

wat?
Old 06-03-2008, 01:40 PM   #503
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

How did the Hedwig death go over in the U2 household?

BTW, I love what you're doing with your location. For some reason I get a real kick out of seeing it change.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 06-03-2008, 01:47 PM   #504
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
How did the Hedwig death go over in the U2 household?

BTW, I love what you're doing with your location. For some reason I get a real kick out of seeing it change.
It went over surprisingly well. I don't know if that's because they are numb to it now since DD died last week. But for some reason they seemed more upset because they both think Hagrid is dead. Of course, they will find out the truth tonight so that sadness won't last long. My youngest girl did say after I read the chapter that she might want to rename her bird to Hedwig.... Madeye's death didn't hit me hard. I really didn't feel an attachment to him.... sad as that is. So I assume that will be the same. I can't WAIT for the ear jokes though.

(this post brought to you by Alivan's. Makers of fine handcrafted magic wands.)

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 06-03-2008 at 01:48 PM.
u2sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:22 PM   #505
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I didn't care about Hedwig at the time either, because I too thought Hagrid was dead for a minute there.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:25 PM   #506
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so jealous... I'm on a Harry Potter Hiatus because my boss still has my Book 6.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:25 PM   #507
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Hedwig's death just killed me. And forced me to prepare for Harry possibly dying. I figured if she wasn't going to protect his snowy white Owl then everyone was fairgame.

(this post brought to you by Petco. Where the Pets go.)
Old 06-03-2008, 02:27 PM   #508
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one
I'm so jealous... I'm on a Harry Potter Hiatus because my boss still has my Book 6.
As long as you promise to return it you can borrow mine..... why not just visit your local library?

(This post brought to you by Barnes & Noble. Free $25 gift card offer with the B&N MasterCard!!!)
Old 06-03-2008, 02:30 PM   #509
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I think I have it on .pdf somewhere....and two hard copies and a paper back between my wife and I.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 06-03-2008 at 02:31 PM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:34 PM   #510
fluid.forty.one

I'm anti-library just because I like owning books I've read. I like the trophy case mentality.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:37 PM   #511
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
I'm anti-library just because I like owning books I've read. I like the trophy case mentality.
Okay..... well you already own it so you are just borrowing a copy from the library (free).... I wouldn't trust Flaco's pdf. It's probably filled with viruses.

(this post sponsored by McAfee. Total Anti-Virus protection.)
Old 06-03-2008, 02:51 PM   #512
nikeball
Platinum Member

Quote:
Why are you in this thread FFO?!? Spoilers FTL
Old 06-03-2008, 02:55 PM   #513
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

Yeah, you might want to go elsewhere. In addition to embedded viruses... ALL of of Flaco's files are just buckets of gay porn, with random filenames like:

"HarryPotter_book_six.pdf"
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:57 PM   #514
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsluggo
Yeah, you might want to go elsewhere. In addition to embedded viruses... ALL of of Flaco's files are just buckets of gay porn, with random filenames like:

"HarryPotter_book_six.pdf"
I knew that chapter name "2 house elves, 1 cup" seemed wrong...
Old 06-03-2008, 02:58 PM   #515
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeball
Why are you in this thread FFO?!? Spoilers FTL
He's re-reading, not reading for the first time.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 06-03-2008, 03:00 PM   #516
fluid.forty.one

Quote:
I knew that chapter name "2 house elves, 1 cup" seemed wrong...
hahaha
Old 06-09-2008, 03:29 PM   #517
fluid.forty.one

Just finished book 7....

wow.... I forgot how good it was.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:39 PM   #518
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Just finished book 7....

wow.... I forgot how good it was.
you have a terrible memory

Old 06-09-2008, 03:41 PM   #519
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Well come on sike... that book came out ages ago.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:44 PM   #520
sike
The Preacha

Talking

Quote:
Well come on sike... that book came out ages ago.
you're right.....sorry, ffo.

Tags
dumbledore is gay q=(, dumbledore kills snape, failed to cast leviosa, harry chases small balls, my elder wand is magical, snape dapes rumbledore, snape kills dumbledore, voldemort > harry, voldemort is awesome, your mom is awesome