Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-08-2006, 10:20 PM   #1
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future
Default Mavs/Hornets Thoughts

After an emotional win against the Spurs in San Antonio last night, it might have been easy for the Mavs to have a little bit of a letdown tonight against a Hornets team playing for their playoff lives. To be short though, Dallas didn't let down.

The Mavs seized control of the game very early, and there was never any doubt about who the superior team was/is. The Mavs were very efficient and aggressive on offense. They pushed the ball up the floor repeatedly. They moved the ball well. They got into the lane off the dribble. They knocked down open shots. They crushed the Hornets on the boards. They used their quick hands to constantly force turnovers and harass the Hornets. With all of that it's no wonder the team won by 24.

Dirk continues his run to the MVP. Nowitzki had 20 points, 8 rebounds, 5 assists, and 2 steals in 28 minutes and on 12 shots. There was little doubt as to who the best player on the floor was. Dirk's passing was particularly impressive tonight as he found cutters and open shooters all night long. He is quickly becoming almost impossible to defend, and he's always been one of the toughest covers in the league.

Josh Howard, meanwhile, simply continued to play outstanding basketball. Howard had 19 points and 8 rebounds. He has been great since he made his return to the lineup. I think it's obvious that his play is going to be key to this team's title hopes. He's been a force in all aspects of the game, and his offense just seems to be improving by the game right now.

Jason Terry had another very good game with 19 points, 3 assists, and a couple of steals. For the second night in a row Terry found himself against a very good point guard, and for the second night in a row, Terry's defense was very good.

Jerry Stackhouse didn't shoot very often tonight, but for the second night in a row, Stack played a solid floor game. He led the team in assists with 8 assists. I love when he's able to do that. The 5 turnovers are too many, but he's been a nice presence on the floor for the last couple of games because he's always a threat to hurt the opposing team. That kind of allows Dirk, Josh, and Terry to function with a little more ease.

Desagana Diop also had a nice night. Diop's stats aren't very impressive, but he had an almost dominant stretch in the third quarter when he blocked a couple of shots, grabbed some traffic rebounds, had an impressive dunk, and finished a very nice turnaround jumper.

Erick Dampier also played very well. Damp once again worked his way to double digits in the rebounding department, and his play on the defensive end has been solid. Damp does exactly what he gets paid to do by clogging up the lane, providing good help defense, as well as good man to man defense against the opposing post players. His improvement at the free throw line has also been impressive.

Marquis Daniels had kind of weird night. Daniels seems to have caught the eye of the officials in some way because he continues to get called for several offensive fouls a game. Marquis did a pretty good job of taking care of the ball though, and the offense ran through him for big portions of the game. Quis also seemed to be making a conscious effort to push the ball a little more as he had the opportunity. He got into the lane at will, but he couldn't really finish a lot of those shots. I know he felt like he wasn't getting the calls, but he just has to play through it. He'll be fine.

I like what Josh Powell has been doing since Van Horn went down. Powell probably isn't going to blow anyone away with his stats, but that's not what the team needs anyway. He continues to play hard, and he looks so much more comfortable and confident on the floor right now. He still makes youthful mistakes, but he's always willing to throw his body around and do what he can. He is another player who is showing an improved offensive game of late. In fact, I would imagine that his play had probably been enough to keep this roster in tact.

Darrell Armstrong got plenty of minutes tonight against his old team. He played a nice game and did a solid job of keeping the offense moving. By now, I think everyone knows exactly what to expect from DA, and he delivers it when called on.

DJ Mbenga had 4 points and 3 rebounds in 6 minutes. He also had a goaltending block that drew some oohs and aahs from the crowd. I think the Mavs have to be pleased with his progress though. DJ is actually looking pretty good on offense right now. I know these minutes are coming with nothing really to play for, but I think DJ has certainly shown enough to warrant the Mavs interest in him. By the way, did anyone catch Chris Sheridan's write up of DJ on ESPN? He says that DJ has replaced Damp as the Mavs primary and best post defender. Kudos to the experts, fans. You think maybe Mr. Sheridan has been watching games at all?

Rawle Marshall continues to show signs of being a nice find. I like the way he moves on the floor. In time, I think he can contribute to this team.

You know, what I liked most about tonight's game was the energy and confidence. There was no letdown, and this team seems to be getting their swagger back. They seem to believe that they can beat anyone right now. The way the team is playing right now, maybe you wouldn't want to bet too much against them.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2006, 12:25 AM   #2
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

I couldn't be happier. After a huge win last night that had to be physically very tiring, the Mavs showed no sign of fatigue and just did exactly what they were supposed to do. No excuses, no bullsh*t, just the complete domination of an inferior team (who happens to be in our division)
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 04:00 AM   #3
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddh33
His improvement at the free throw line has also been impressive.
Definitely. Damp is shooting almost 70% from the line since Feb. 27.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 01:35 PM   #4
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

It was good to see another strong performance, no struggles, and no overconfidence.

Dirk has to win MVP, there is nobody that's been better.
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 02:40 PM   #5
frost5

frost5 is on a distinguished road

ddh nice analysis i'm very impressed. I agree with everyone you have said. Very solid performance last night.
frost5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 08:35 PM   #6
Mavfan + Ravenfan

Mavfan + Ravenfan is on a distinguished road

I could care less if dirk wins mvp. I'd rather have a western confernece title and a finals berth if i were dirk. Nash probaly will win it because he has the suns at 50-25 or something like that without Amare. Plus his stats are ridicoulous.
When we was eight, we went to Bat Day to see the Yanks
In Sixty-Nine, his father and mines, they robbed banks
He pointed to the charm on his neck
With his last bit of energy left, told me rock it with respect
I opened it, seen the god holdin his kids
Photogenic, tears just burst out my wig

AKA-wu banga at db.com
AKA-mavsravensfanatic at scout.com
Mavfan + Ravenfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 09:09 PM   #7
atrewsfan
Banned

atrewsfan will become famous soon enoughatrewsfan will become famous soon enough

Anyone think that Speedy Claxton thinks after DAL's surgery on the Hornets that maybe he's mulling coming over as a FA next year to backup/complement Devin Harris?
atrewsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 09:38 PM   #8
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Mavs+raven fan, nash's stats are in no way ridiculous. 19 and 10 or hell if you round up completely 20 and 11 are not that amazing. Its been done quite a bit actually and im so damn tired of the without amare excuse. Dirk is leading the mavs to 60 wins without amare too. Good lord just because they were the most talented team in the league(that was still destined to never win a title) before amare got hurt doesnt mean the other talent on the team should be forgotten because amare got hurt.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 10:16 PM   #9
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

"Dirk is leading the mavs to 60 wins without amare too."

good line...

"Anyone think that Speedy Claxton thinks after DAL's surgery on the Hornets that maybe he's mulling coming over as a FA next year to backup/complement Devin Harris?"

That's Jason Terry's job.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:20 AM   #10
Mavfan + Ravenfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrewsfan
Anyone think that Speedy Claxton thinks after DAL's surgery on the Hornets that maybe he's mulling coming over as a FA next year to backup/complement Devin Harris?
We can't replace terry with claxton, terry's our best outside threat. Maybe if claxton could shoot.

AKA-wu banga at db.com

Last edited by Mavfan + Ravenfan; 04-10-2006 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:23 AM   #11
Mavfan + Ravenfan

"Dirk is leading the mavs to 60 wins without amare too."

True, but we got damp diop and D.j. as our centers, they have tim thomas and brian grant. Plus they have had kurt thomas out since febuary.

I'm not saying that dirk doesn't deserve it, I'm saying he probaly won't get it, in my opinion.

AKA-wu banga at db.com

Last edited by Mavfan + Ravenfan; 04-10-2006 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:35 AM   #12
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Nash has Marion and diaw. Dirk has Josh and jet. kurt thomas being out doesnt affect anything. he has missed a comparable number of games as Stack, josh, Devin, Griff, KVH, and quis have. The mavs have been the most injured team in basketball. If anyone could use injuries as an excuse it would be dirk. Ive already done the comparison in another thread but i will do it again.

Marion is signifigantly better than Josh. Bell is signifigantly better than griff. Barbosa is about the same as devin right now though devin will be better. Tim thomas is a kvh clone. Is the Diop, damp terry quis group enough better than Kurt thomas, grant, Diaw, Eddie house to make up for the others? No. Fortunately dirk is signifigantly better than the mavs and the mavs play better d so they should still beat the suns but considering the mavs are winning more and dirk has better stats and at best an equal supporting cast, he is clearly the mvp over steve nash. If you want to make a lebron argument i will listen. But Steve Nash? No way in hell is he the mvp. He has become THE most overrated player in the nba which saddens me because i still like little stevie.

Last edited by Five-ofan; 04-10-2006 at 09:42 AM.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:16 AM   #13
Mavfan + Ravenfan

I'm just saying that since all they have is tim thomas and brian grant, Amare's worth alot. And since nash has them still at 55 win season pace, to me he's the mvp.

AKA-wu banga at db.com
Old 04-10-2006, 10:34 AM   #14
Five-ofan
Guru

How do you keep forgetting kurt thomas? I know you say he is hurt but if we are gonna not count him then you cant count Stack, josh, devin, quis, griff, or kvh. So that would mean dirk is leading
PG- Jet, DA
sg- No one in particular
SF- Rawle Marshall
PF Dirk, powell
C- Diop, Damp, Dj.
To a 60 win season. More impressive than winning 55(maybe) with Bell, Marion, Diaw and Grant dont you think? Obviously that is ridiculous but acting like kurt thomas doesnt exist is equally ridiculous. Yes he has missed alot of games but so have the people mentioned above. Why the eff do people insist on acting like the suns are the only team with injuries? the mavs have had more than anyone so lets not pretend like the suns ability to deal injuries is what puts nash over the top because in reality that is just one more area in which dirk is clearly better than nash.