Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-13-2006, 11:40 PM   #41
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

TheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to all

you know who we should suit up for the next couple of games? Avery Johnson
TheBlueVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2006, 11:52 PM   #42
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

I think the mavs can hold down the fort and injuries aren't big of a deal.

I don't know what needs to be done to get people to understand that marquis daniels is a valuable player for this team. He's the only guy that realized that Sac didn't have any shots blockers and that he'd have a field day going to the basket. Play him at the 1 and he can fill Harris' role.

There are three positions that are hurting and those are pg, sg and sf .....There are 5 guys to fill that slot provided griffin gets back soon. If not, there are 4. Big deal...They'll be playing heavy minutes but stackhouse and daniels haven't been used heavily this season anyway.

No excuses..This is where the $95 mill payroll is put to use.
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 12:10 AM   #43
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkenstien
There is no way in heck I would ever want Jon Barry on the Dallas Mavericks. Did you even watch the playoffs last season? My goodness, ...I don't think I could dislike a player anymore than I did then.

Yea I watched him and he's a player i'd prefer over a Sprewell. Its not like he beat us in the playoffs. All he did was do that little corny 3 finger thign with his hands that he does. I've got no problem with him doing it in a Mavs uniform. Can't believe people would have a problem with him and not Doug Christie when he was a Mav.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 12:12 AM   #44
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
I don't know what needs to be done to get people to understand that marquis daniels is a valuable player for this team. He's the only guy that realized that Sac didn't have any shots blockers and that he'd have a field day going to the basket. Play him at the 1 and he can fill Harris' role.

Just one problem. Sacramento aren't much of a threat defensively in the first place and they also aren't going to be what stands in our way to getting to the Finals.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 05:38 AM   #45
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

Forget about Jon Barry. He will either retire or sign with the Nuggets.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 05:40 AM   #46
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

Old injuries have Mavs scrambling for depth

By ART GARCIA
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

Dealing with injuries all season, the Mavs relied on their depth to pull through. And considering their record, they've pulled through just fine.

The rope might finally be snapping back.

The lost players on the just-completed western road trip far outweigh the 2-1 record, leaving the Mavs scrambling for relief with little more than a month left in the regular season.

"We've been saying that our strength is our depth," Jason Terry said. "Right now we're being tested."

Tied with San Antonio atop the Western Conference, the Mavs (49-14) are staring at life without several significant pieces. Josh Howard (hamstring) and Devin Harris (quadriceps) had previous injuries flare up over the weekend and could be shut down for a significant portion, if not all, of the 19 games left.

The team is awaiting results from the MRI exam performed Monday on Harris. Howard is officially listed day-to-day after his injury resurfaced in his first game back Sunday.

The Mavs were cautious in the rehabs of both Harris, reinjured Saturday at Utah, and Howard. An even more careful approach might be in order.

"With the big picture in mind, we want to make sure those guys are healthy for the playoffs," president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson said.

The team continues to hope that Keith Van Horn (knee) returns later this month. Adrian Griffin (hamstring) is a game-time decision tonight against LeBron James and the Cleveland Cavaliers at American Airlines Center.

Regardless of who suits up, the Mavs won't use injuries as a crutch.

"It only takes five to play," Jerry Stackhouse said. "Obviously, we want to get everybody back healthy and ready for the stretch run and the playoffs. We don't want to take our chances by keep having guys coming in and out. We need to take that time to heal and stay in the lineup."

The setbacks have the Mavs considering the free-agent market, with point guard and swingman as the two areas of potential need. Among those available are Mateen Cleaves, Erick Strickland, Wesley Person, Latrell Sprewell and Bryon Russell.

Players who were free agents before March 1 are eligible for the playoff roster. Anyone waived after that date cannot compete in the postseason. With 15 players on the roster, the Mavs would have to waive someone to make room.

"We're going to look internally first and see if we can patch it together," Nelson said. "Our bench has stepped up in the past, and we'll give them the opportunity to do that."

Rookie forward Josh Powell played key fourth-quarter minutes against Sacramento, and reserve center DJ Mbenga contributed nicely the previous night at Utah. Third-string point guard Darrell Armstrong has also taken on a bigger role.

"We have to go with what we have," Stackhouse said. "We know we've got enough to get it done. It's going to put a little more mileage out of guys, but some guys want that."

The Spurs are also dealing with aches and pains. Coach Gregg Popovich is considering resting Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili on the second half of back-to-backs.

"There are some teams that have escaped it," Mavs coach Avery Johnson said of the injury bug. "Some teams have been bitten by it quite a bit. We're probably somewhere in between."
Old 03-14-2006, 09:47 AM   #47
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

today seems to be the day we find out about Harris, lets hope it isn't too bad.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:41 AM   #48
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest
All he did was do that little corny 3 finger thign with his hands that he does.
But oh, how annoying it was. I couldn't stand to see him do that in a Mavs uniform.

edit for spelling

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki

Last edited by Dirkenstien; 03-14-2006 at 11:42 AM.
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 11:45 AM   #49
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
But oh, how annoying it was. I couldn't stand to see him do that in a Mavs uniform.
]
Wouldn't it be great if he did it and then some fan just runs on the court and starts kicking his ass, that would be the best day in the history of man ever.
[i]edit for spelling [/i
Old 03-14-2006, 02:31 PM   #50
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I'd really like to see Will Bynum signed. This kid can really play. His only real downfall as a point guard is his size. I'm surprised he hasn't gotten more of a chance to play with an NBA team.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 03:30 PM   #51
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

I heard on mavtalk that someone said Howard could be out for the last 19 games as well. Looks like the 4th seed is where it is. It isn't as big deal as making sure Howard and Harris are healthy for the playoff run.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 03:59 PM   #52
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

If it comes down to either getting the first seed and a Dirk MVP trophy or everyone being healthy for the playoffs and a 4th seed then we have to go with the 4th seed. With everyone healthy we have a strong chance to compete for the championship.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

Old 03-14-2006, 04:10 PM   #53
kriD
Platinum Member

Mavs' Harris, Howard out at least a week

By EDDIE SEFKO / Staff Writer

Point guard Devin Harris and small forward Josh Howard will be out at least a week with injuries, missing the Mavericks' upcoming three-game road trip, coach Avery Johnson said Tuesday.

Harris was awaiting word on an MRI exam on his strained left thigh, but even before results were known, Johnson ruled him out.

"We were cautious before, and he still got hurt," Johnson said of Harris. "So, we're going to be even more cautious this time."

Johnson also said Howard would be shut down to rest his sore left hamstring.

The Mavericks have 19 games remaining, and Johnson said the only concern is having both players as healthy as possible when the playoffs start next month.

Adrian Griffin (hamstring) and Keith Van Horn (knee) also will miss Tuesday's home game against Cleveland but will accompany the team on the trip that starts Wednesday in Houston.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:11 PM   #54
HexNBA
Golden Member

HexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to all

Mavs Shift Focus After Injuries

By JAIME ARON, AP Sports Writer

DALLAS - The Dallas Mavericks are suddenly less concerned about earning the top seed in the Western Conference. Their focus now is on going into the playoffs healthy.

Injuries to starting small forward Josh Howard and backup point guard Devin Harris forced the priority change. Both tried to come back and instead got hurt again, prompting team officials to decide Tuesday to let the players rest until the last few weeks of the regular season.

"Both of those guys are out indefinitely," coach Avery Johnson said before facing the Cleveland Cavaliers. "I trusted some different situations (before), but now I'll bring them back when I want to."

Howard has been hobbled by a strained left hamstring. He missed four games, then left after playing 12 minutes Sunday night in Sacramento.

Harris has a strained left thigh. After also missing four games, he aggravated it Saturday night against Utah in his third game back.

Making matters worse for Dallas, starting guard Adrian Griffin will miss several games with a strained hamstring and reserve Keith Van Horn still isn't back from a knee injury that's kept him out since March 3.

"If we get both of those guys back by the end of the week, great. If not, we'll have to wait until they're ready," Johnson said.

Dallas was tied with San Antonio for the best record in the West and in the Southwest Division going into play Tuesday night. Whichever wins the division is likely to get the No. 1 seed in the playoffs, with the other falling to fourth. Regardless of which team gets which seed, they'll likely be on track to meet in the second round, the only difference being home-court advantage.

Howard is considered by many to be Dallas' second-best player after Dirk Nowitzki. He's averaging 15.5 points, 6.4 rebounds, 1.9 assists and 1.2 steals, and is among the club's best defenders. The Mavs are 16-0 when he scores 20 points.

Harris is the team's eventual starting point guard, but for now he backs up Jason Terry. Both are good enough outside shooters that they often play together, especially in the fourth quarter.

Griffin's value is that he contributes solid defense without expecting to be too involved in the offense. Although he didn't join the club until Nov. 28, he's made 42 starts and plays nearly 25 minutes per game.

Jerry Stackhouse and Marquis Daniels will get most of the extra minutes, but Johnson said everyone will have to contribute — from veteran Darrell Armstrong to rookies Josh Powell and Rawle Marshall.

"We have three centers and none of those guys can do any cameos at small forward or point guard, so that leaves the rest of the guys," Johnson said. "We need them to play now."

Team owner Mark Cuban took some solace in the timing, saying "better now than three weeks from now."

"It's part of the game. Everybody goes through it," he said. "Everybody's just got to pick up."

The Mavericks suited up only 10 players Tuesday night. Johnson said the club would consider signing a free agent, but it wasn't a priority. Cuban even joked about signing Terrell Owens to a 10-day contract.

"I saw him at the All-Star game. He said he's ready to go," Cuban said, laughing.

Last edited by HexNBA; 03-14-2006 at 09:12 PM.
HexNBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 01:55 AM   #55
shaw-xx
Golden Member

shaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to all

Mavs' Harris, Howard out a while

12:23 AM CST on Wednesday, March 15, 2006

By EDDIE SEFKO / Staff Writer

Avery Johnson isn't timid about many things. But in this situation, he's definitely going to subscribe to the once-bitten, twice-shy strategy.

The Mavericks' coach said Tuesday that point guard Devin Harris and small forward Josh Howard will be out indefinitely to rest their injuries. And neither of them will be allowed back on the court until Johnson is supremely confident that they are fully recuperated.

"They are shut down," Johnson said. "I can't say it any better in my New Orleans accent. Both of those guys are out. I'll bring them back when I want to."

Harris is of particular concern after he went out with a strained left thigh for the second time. Howard's left hamstring also has been aggravated a second time.

Harris has been limping ever since he re-injured the thigh at Utah on Saturday. He said the MRI he had early Tuesday revealed the same problem that he's been fighting for a month.

"I tried to play on it too fast," he said. "There's no torn muscle. The doctors said it was torn before. But then scar tissue covers up the torn area. And I guess you got to let those scar tissues get strong enough. If you come back too early, it rips and that's when you get the bleeding and the bruising."

Asked how long he expects to be out, Harris said: "However long it takes. We took a week last time. So no telling how long this time."

Neither Harris nor Howard accompanied the Mavericks when they left after Tuesday's game for a three-game trip that starts today in Houston.

Both players could be out until April. The playoffs begin April 22.

"Josh came back, and now he's out," Johnson said. "Devin came back for two games, and now he's out. Obviously, something didn't go right. We're going to take a real cautious approach, probably a lot more cautious than we had the first time.

"I really need those guys healthy as we move forward, and they're not healthy now."

Meanwhile, Adrian Griffin (right hamstring) and Keith Van Horn (left knee) both were out against Cleveland, leaving only 10 healthy bodies, three of which were centers. Effectively, the Mavericks' rotation was down to eight players.

Johnson said he's hopeful that Griffin or Van Horn might be able to get back in action on the upcoming trip. Both players accompanied the team.

Dream a little dream: Johnson, by the way, was asked his impression of Cleveland's LeBron James and couldn't get past the 28 free throws he had against Miami on Sunday.

"That's my dream for Dirk, by the way," he said. "Tell you what, I'll take 28 in two games. I may not elbow my wife as much in my sleep as I have been if that happened."

Briefly: Mark Cuban believes the rash of injuries is going to open up opportunities for other players. "We'll probably lose some position [in the standings]," he said. "But it's a chance for everybody to step up and for Avery to show what he can do and see where we are. We're not going to miss the playoffs. So we'll play it out." ... Alan Henderson, who played for the Mavericks last season, is with Cleveland this year. He's had a chance to play with LeBron James and Dirk Nowitzki. "I've been lucky," he said. "I can tell my kids I've played with two of the very best."
Old 03-15-2006, 04:19 AM   #56
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

RE: Jon Barry

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightmkw
if he did join the mavs, then every mav player would have to get 10 mins to woop his ass, then the fans would get 10 mins to woop his ass. then everybody left over would get 10 mins to woop his ass. then mabye he could join the mavs.
This is the funniest post I've seen here in a month.

I'll step on a limb and vote for Spree. Just have Nellie call him up and tell him "shut up and act right, its the last friggin' chance in life you'll ever have a chance to get a ring. You had a chance or 2 and screwed them and yourself up. And remember, we don't really need you, so we'll dump your butt if you screw around with our chemistry. But contribute here, and you might have something to tell your grandkids about that you are actually proud of."

Plus, Carlissimo always looked like the kind of guy that might deserve a non life threatening throttling.

Good News Prediction. If Quis plays 35 minutes a night for a month, he will be a playoff monster. Teams will have to adjust to stop his penetration. Dirk and Jet go wild.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:40 AM   #57
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Hoiberg not in plans this season
Chris McCosky / The Detroit News

Burning questions as the Pistons refocus for the stretch run:

Q . Are the Pistons going to sign Fred Hoiberg?

A . No, and quite frankly, I don't think they ever intended to -- not this season. They brought him in as a favor to Flip Saunders, and they might try to sign him this summer. But as good a role player as Hoiberg has been, and as comfortable as he may be with Saunders' system, it would be a risk bringing him in now. And I don't mean in terms of his health (he had open-heart surgery over the summer).

Sixty-two games into the season, and Saunders is still searching for a set rotation. He is trying to find a way to use Tony Delk and Lindsey Hunter -- guards who if you combined them into one person would be the ideal third guard. Maurice Evans and Carlos Delfino still get sporadic minutes.

And now you want to add Hoiberg into the mix, a guy who would be some kind of cross between Evans and Delfino? Nah, there's just not enough time left before the playoffs to work all those things out.

Q . Has Delk replaced Hunter as the primary backup to Chauncey Billups?

A . I don't think so. Hunter has had a run of bad health the last few weeks. First he had the flu, then he was poisoned by some bad lobster in Washington. He has lost some weight. He wasn't in true game condition before, and he certainly isn't now.

Although Delk provides more offensive punch, nobody on the roster can pressure the ball or be as disruptive defensively on the perimeter as Hunter. He's a guy who can change the tenor of a game, something the Pistons will need in the playoffs.

Q . Does Saunders have the ability to light a fire under these guys?

A . Of course he does, and he has. But these guys don't really need fire-and-brimstone speeches or blackboard-breaking theatrics. They know how they have to play to be successful.

The players said a lot of things about Larry Brown getting too much credit when they won the title in 2004, and maybe more of the praise should have fallen on them. Well, it doesn't work both ways. If they fail this season, they can't turn around and say, "Well, the coach just didn't get us motivated."

These are veterans. They understand it's on them to perform.
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 03:33 PM   #58
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

Harris and Howard are not on this road trip, will probably be out till almost the playoffs. Also they will not be allowed and special disposition to pick up another player cause they have 10 players, Pavel on the D league counts. So no extra help.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:52 AM   #59
shaw-xx
Golden Member

shaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to all

Van Horn to test knee, may return soon

Injured forward might play before three-game road trip is over

10:57 PM CST on Wednesday, March 15, 2006

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

HOUSTON – The Mavericks might finally get some good news on the medical front as Keith Van Horn said he wants to push his left knee today in a workout and could see action before the three-game trip is over.

Coach Avery Johnson said Van Horn's condition has improved in that "he's out of the danger zone" that could lead to re-injuring the left knee in which he strained his medial collateral ligament March 3.

"He's still going to have some pain whenever he comes back," Johnson said. "But he's in a situation where he's probably closer than our other guys [to returning]."

For the second game in a row, the Mavericks were without Van Horn, Devin Harris and starters Adrian Griffin and Josh Howard on Wednesday night in Houston.

Van Horn said he's eager to see how the knee responds.

"We'll get a hard workout in and then see how it feels on Friday and go from there," he said. "But I still don't have any kind of timetable for coming back."

The trip continues Friday in Washington and ends Sunday afternoon at New Jersey.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:06 AM   #60
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

I hope Van Horn doesn't start at the 3. I think Rawle Marshall is doing a good job and seems to be fitting in there.

edit: Forgot about Griffin.

Last edited by mavsfan1000; 03-16-2006 at 01:47 AM.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 09:16 AM   #61
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure killer won't start. The thing that I believe AJ wants is defensive ability out of that spot. He's getting enough offense from dirk/.. well just dirk.

But marquis is playing the third scorer role with jason so I think he wants marshall to come in and be a defensive guy which he did really well last night.

The offense was an extra bonus.

Also the mavs still have a big problem when dirk goes off the floor..As well as Rawle has done, I can't say the same for Josh. I think he's more of a "power" small forward but when dirk goes off the floor they still need a shooter.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 03-16-2006 at 09:17 AM.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 12:22 PM   #62
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Anyone know what's going on with Jon Stefansson from Iceland? I haven't heard anything about that guy in a while but I remember he was a pretty good shooter and could really D it up.

Old 03-16-2006, 12:43 PM   #63
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Quote:
Anyone know what's going on with Jon Stefansson from Iceland? I haven't heard anything about that guy in a while but I remember he was a pretty good shooter and could really D it up.
I'm not 100% sure but we may have moved him in a trade as filler.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:52 PM   #64
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

I saw him a few times 2 years ago in summer league and he wasn't anything special. made alot of mistakes on defense and really didn't run the offense too well. Harris and Jho played on that team and Harris did a much better job of running the team.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:57 PM   #65
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Well he is 6'5", can shoot the ball, and is athletic. Plus I believe he's been playing overin Europe since we cut him although I'm sure how well he has done.

I was thinking we could bring him in as another SG to hep fill the void due to the unjuries.

Edit : Ofcourse then we would have to cut someone which I'm not too sure I'd be willing to do. If we could get an exception from the league he may be an option though.

Last edited by Dirkenstien; 03-16-2006 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:02 PM   #66
orangedays
Platinum Member

2002 NBADraft.net Profile (Linkage)

Jon Arnor Stefansson
Birthdate: 9/21/82
NBA Position: Shooting Guard
Ht: 6-5
Wt: 200
Euro Team: TBB Trier
Hometown: Svipjód, Iceland

NBA Comparison: Marko Jaric

One of the top young talents in Europe. He is a PG with the frame of a SG. His ball-handling and playmaking abilities are good enough to play PG in a tougher league than now. Despite his age Jon has a tremendous athleticsm. He can shoot virtually from all over the court (.45 3pt%). He lacks experience, because he has only played in German BBL (which is on CBA level) and the Islandic Epson League (which is on even lower level). He can be a star in Europe, and he has already been named Player Of The Year of Iceland's league as well as Player Of The Month in Germany's league.

Opinions:
Patrick Börder (Manager of TBB Trier):
"Neither (headcoach) Bernard Thompson nor me have ever seen a 19 years old who is such versatile at this age. He's the ideal supplement to Carl Brown and Carlton Bryant as PG and SG. We believe he's going to impact in this league and he'll grow to a cornerstone of our team. We're proud to have him here in Trier."

Notes: Played high school ball along with Amaury Filion and Jack Martinez at Artesia in California.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:04 PM   #67
orangedays
Platinum Member

I guess Marko Jaric's stock was a little higher back in 2002.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:06 PM   #68
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

There are no exceptions from the league becasue the Mavs have a full healthy roster. Pavel counts even thouhg he is on the D League. becuase of that, they can't get another person.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:19 PM   #69
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Oh I see. Well, looks like we're pretty much stuck with what we have then.

Just for kicks, can anyone find how Steffanson has done statisctically in Europe this past year?

Old 03-16-2006, 01:20 PM   #70
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedays
I guess Marko Jaric's stock was a little higher back in 2002.
I still think he has room to improve, but man, that Sam Cassell trade really backfired for the T'Wolves.

Old 03-16-2006, 01:33 PM   #71
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

TheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to all

yeah no kidding. cassel's got the clips in the playoffs, jaric's got the wolves in the lottery and on the verge of blowing up.

i still think our replacement PG for the next couple of games should be avery. slide terry over to SG. i know it would never happen in a million years, but just entertain the thought for a bit. how cool would that be? maybe he could hit an 18-foot jumper to beat the spurs next time we play em
Old 03-16-2006, 02:13 PM   #72
mavsman

mavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Just for kicks, can anyone find how Steffanson has done statisctically in Europe this past year?
He's a starter for Carpisa Napoli, one of the better teams in Italy's Lega A. His numbers are not very impressing: 8.7 pts, 2.0 rbs and 1.1 ast while playing 26.7 mins/game. Nothing to write home about, considering that the best player on the team is the powerful journeyman Ansu Sesay. You can find his numbers here.
mavsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 02:19 PM   #73
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Hmm, a player-coach would be very odd in the NBA. The only other instance where I can remember that to have occured in a professional sport was back with the Dallas Sidekicks when Tatu was their player-coach.

You're right though, BlueVan; it would never happen in a million years. And I'm thankful for that because personally I don't think it would be a good move for he morale of the team.

Old 03-16-2006, 02:24 PM   #74
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hmm, a player-coach would be very odd in the NBA. The only other instance where I can remember that to have occured in a professional sport was back with the Dallas Sidekicks when Tatu was their player-coach.
Bill Russell served as Player/Coach of the Boston Celtics from 1967-1969, leading them to Championships in 1968 and 1969. He replaced the great Red Auerbach in 1967 and was the first black NBA head coach.

Last edited by orangedays; 03-16-2006 at 02:27 PM.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:29 PM   #75
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Quote:
Bill Russell served as Player/Coach of the Boston Celtics from 1966-1969, leading them to titles in 1968 and 1969. He replaced the great Red Auerbach in 1967 and was the first black NBA head coach.
Thanks for the info Orangedays. That's extremely impressive considering the amount of responsibility and organizational capacity it would take to simultaneously play and coach in the fast pace of the NBA.

Old 03-16-2006, 02:34 PM   #76
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

I just did a little research and found out that Lenny Wilkins also was a player-coach for the Sonics and Blazers during his first four seasons of coaching.

Old 03-16-2006, 05:16 PM   #77
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

where have i heard of ansu sesay before? ive just drawn a blank
Old 03-16-2006, 06:01 PM   #78
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueVan
where have i heard of ansu sesay before? ive just drawn a blank
I believe he was a semi-mythical gangster in the movie "The Usual Suspects..." pretty good flick, as I recall....
alexamenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 06:04 PM   #79
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Bill Russell served as Player/Coach of the Boston Celtics from 1967-1969, leading them to Championships in 1968 and 1969. He replaced the great Red Auerbach in 1967 and was the first black NBA head coach.
I believe Charlie Hustle, aka Pete Rose, spent some time as a player-manager for the Reds.
alexamenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 12:34 PM   #80
kriD
Platinum Member

Time not on the Mavericks' side?

Mavericks have to worry about outlasting injuries and the Spurs

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

WASHINGTON – One race wasn't enough for the Mavericks.

Matching wins with San Antonio will be difficult enough, for sure. But with 17 games left in the regular season, the Mavericks have another chase that probably trumps the battle with the Spurs for the best record in the Western Conference.

They must win the race against time.

In little more than a month, the playoffs begin. The clock is ticking on getting a playoff rotation set. Before Avery Johnson can do that, he must get some players healthy. And that is the overriding issue in the locker room.

"Yeah, it would be great to have the No. 1 seed and have home court throughout the playoffs," Jerry Stackhouse said. "But that could all be gone in one game. We got to worry about hopefully having our guys come back and trying to have enough games to get them in a good rhythm going into the playoffs with some continuity.

"Last year going into the playoffs, the last 17, 18 games, we were pretty damn good. Now it's a question who we'll have and how much we can expect from them. So we got concerns. But at the same time, some other guys are stepping up."

But Rawle Marshall and Josh Powell and D.J. Mbenga – willing and able helpers during this injury crunch – are not supposed to be the heavy lifters come playoff time.

The aches and pains to starters Josh Howard and Adrian Griffin, as well as key reserves Devin Harris and Keith Van Horn, have shifted the focus as the Mavericks arrive in Washington for the middle leg of their three-game trip.

San Antonio? The Mavericks will worry about the Spurs if they get to the last week or two of the season and the issue still isn't settled.

"I don't think anybody's thinking about that right now," Stackhouse says. "We want to win every game we play and not worry about what San Antonio does. They might win every game they play. So what?

"We're dealing with so many little things with guys coming in and contributing. As far as the standings go, we're a playoff team, so either way we're going to line up against somebody."

In the interim, they are adjusting on the fly as they plug holes.

"We're not going to make excuses," Erick Dampier said. "You put five players on the court, regardless of who's hurt. Obviously, we have enough talent to win."

Making a late run: Marshall will continue to start until Adrian Griffin is ready to return.

Owner Mark Cuban joked after Marshall's season-best 12 points against Houston on Wednesday that the 6-6 guard is "trying to make that all-rookie team with a late push."

Johnson just wants to see solid play.

"I told Rawle not to do anything fancy," Johnson said. "Just keep it simple."

Said Marshall: "I had a bunch of great players in front of me. I just waited my turn. Unfortunately they got hurt, and this is my chance. I just want to get out and help."

M-V-P, M-V-P: Dirk Nowitzki might be swaying MVP votes with every city he visits in the last month of the season.

"They always want to talk about the other guys in the MVP race, and they put him in the "also mentioned" category," Johnson said. "But there's not one coach in the league I don't think that wouldn't want to have him on their team."

Coast to coast: Only three days after arriving in Dallas from Sacramento, the Mavericks touched down in the nation's capital. Tonight against the Wizards, they will play in their fourth time zone in a week.

"We don't make excuses," Johnson said. "We started off in the Central time zone, went [Pacific], came back to the Mountain, back west, now we're heading to the East Coast. That's part of the NBA.

"But I never give this team a reason for excuses. Obviously, I realize some of the circumstances. But I will not compromise our vision or our system just because we have a few guys out."

Briefly: If you can't get enough of Cuban, FSNSW will air two previously recorded interviews with the owner after tonight's game. "Beyond the Glory – Mark Cuban" is scheduled for 9 p.m., and the Chris Myers interview with Cuban is set for 10:30 p.m. ... If you're into March Madness of a different kind, the Mavericks' dancers are in the second round of the NBA dancers' tournament. You can help fill out the brackets by voting. Look for the link at mavs.com.