Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-17-2006, 04:19 PM   #81
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

" In 1976, Nelson began his career as an assistant coach for the Milwaukee Bucks, while still playing as a player for the team."
Wiki, how I love thee.
Old 03-17-2006, 04:22 PM   #82
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos
I believe he was a semi-mythical gangster in the movie "The Usual Suspects..." pretty good flick, as I recall....
Ummm. Not sure if that was sarcastic, but I believe you're thinking of Kaiser Sosay.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 05:21 PM   #83
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Ummm. Not sure if that was sarcastic, but I believe you're thinking of Kaiser Sosay.
ansu seasay...kaiser sosay.....

i thought it was kind of funny.....
alexamenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 08:52 PM   #84
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos
ansu seasay...kaiser sosay.....

i thought it was kind of funny.....
Well, it was, but there was no wink, no moon. Hard to tell if it was sarcastic or not.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 11:37 PM   #85
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Well, it was, but there was no wink, no moon. Hard to tell if it was sarcastic or not.
Those damn smilies have changed you jthig...

We can still make the moon? I thought we were limited to...
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 11:59 PM   #86
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkenstien
Whatever happened to the old fella? Good memories.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Disaster
How about Walt Williams?
He's currently a post-game commentator for the Washington Wizards on Comcast Sports Net. "The Wizard" for the Wizards...that ol' bugger has a good sense of humor
Old 03-18-2006, 12:17 AM   #87
orangedays
Platinum Member

Freddy Hoiberg, apparently, went in for a physical and a workout with the Phoenix Suns before they left for the SA game on Thursday. That's all they need, another shooter.
Old 03-18-2006, 12:37 AM   #88
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

*cough* pathetic *cough*
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 07:32 AM   #89
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

MAVERICKS NOTES

Injuries testing Mavs' depth

By ART GARCIA
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

WASHINGTON -- Coaches earn their pay when they're juggling lineups, finding playing time to rest the heavy lifters and improvising game plans.

Isn't that right?

"You know what?" Mavericks coach Avery Johnson asked. "This gives our assistant coaches a chance to really prove what they can do."

Johnson's deadpan humor is about as close to laughing as he'll get to the Mavericks' current situation.

Missing four important parts to the rotation, Johnson and his staff are working overtime to keep the team afloat with the playoffs inching closer.

So far, the job has been superb. The Mavs (52-14) remained in the Western Conference lead with Friday night's 104-94 victory over Washington at the Verizon Center.

Keith Van Horn (knee) might return Sunday at New Jersey, though Adrian Griffin (hamstring) still isn't ready. Griffin has only been cleared to do light jogging. Devin Harris (quad) and Josh Howard (hamstring) didn't make the road trip.

"We've got to get some healthy bodies back," Dirk Nowitzki said.

Howard and Griffin are starters, and Johnson considers Harris part of the first unit, although the second-year point guard normally doesn't start. Van Horn had been the first big man off the bench.

"We understand where we are and what we're missing, but we haven't given them any excuses," Johnson said. "Our staff don't give any excuses. [The players] don't make excuses. We're just trying to go out and find ways to stay competitive."

And that entails playing rookies Rawle Marshall and Josh Powell, and DJ Mbenga. Johnson doesn't feel comfortable playing more than one of his three centers -- DeSagana Diop, Erick Dampier and Mbenga -- at the same time, further limiting his options.

Johnson has only one backup point guard (Darrell Armstrong), swingman (Jerry Stackhouse) and power forward (Powell).

It's time to reach into that bag of coaching tricks.

"Right now we're just trying to make adjustments," Johnson said. "We're throwing out some zone. We play man-to-man. We've got to use our timeouts much more efficiently."

Johnson and Wooden

Avery Johnson is one of four finalists for the Coach John Wooden "Keys to Life" award, which honors a member of the college or pro basketball community who exemplifies outstanding character.

The other finalists are Allan Houston and Michael Redd from the NBA, and University of Washington coach Lorenzo Romar. The award will be presented on April 1 during Final Four weekend in Indianapolis.

Briefly

Jerry Stackhouse received a round of boos when he checked in in the first quarter and the first few times he touched the ball. Stackhouse spent two seasons (2002-04) with the Wizards. "Either they miss me or something," he joked.

The Mavs dancers aren't going to the Big Dance. They fell in the second round to Seattle in the NBA Dance Team Bracket on nba.com.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 03:47 PM   #90
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

I would say Griffin shouldn't keep his starting job the way Daniels is playing right now. Griffin is a nice player to have but his limitations could hurt Dallas in a playoff series when teams try to force Griffin to shoot rushed shots or drive. Dallas already has one offensive liability in Diop.

Last edited by mavsfan1000; 03-18-2006 at 03:47 PM.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 04:53 PM   #91
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriD
The Mavs dancers aren't going to the Big Dance. They fell in the second round to Seattle in the NBA Dance Team Bracket on nba.com.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Old 03-20-2006, 09:57 PM   #92
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Criminal.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 03:43 AM   #93
shaw-xx
Golden Member

shaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to all

From DMN:
Quote:
Briefly: Avery Johnson missed Monday's brief practice and film session because of a prior commitment. Del Harris ran the practice session. Johnson will rejoin the team today. ... Keith Van Horn, Adrian Griffin and Josh Howard each went through non-contact portions of Monday's workout. None will play tonight. Devin Harris remains the furthest away from returning. As Del Harris said: "It's still a day-to-day situation and perhaps week-to-week for them. We're concerned, obviously. But there's still certainly adequate time. We'd like to have them back yesterday, of course. But we anticipate they'll be able to go [the last] 10 games, and that would be fine if we could do that."
Old 03-22-2006, 01:53 AM   #94
shaw-xx
Golden Member

shaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to all
Default Johnson clears up returns

Van Horn may play Saturday; Harris to be last injured player back

12:01 AM CST on Wednesday, March 22, 2006

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

Avery Johnson isn't saying what the game plan is, but there definitely is a timetable for bringing back the four injured Mavericks.

And, honestly, it's not all that tough to figure out the agenda.

Keith Van Horn will be the first to return from the infirmary, probably by early next week if not Saturday in Atlanta. After that, it will be Adrian Griffin, Josh Howard and, lastly, Devin Harris, filtering back to the lineup, Johnson said Tuesday.

"I have a firm schedule," Johnson said. "The worst thing that could happen is if we bring one of those guys back and they [reinjure themselves], then they're in jeopardy for the playoffs. So we have a very conservative plan. The last five or six games, we're optimistic and hopeful to have everybody in uniform. That's what we're shooting for."

Is that enough time?

"We don't have any choice," he said.

The Mavericks will take everybody on the upcoming four-game road trip that starts Saturday. However, all four won't play on the trip.

Harris gets second look: Harris went to Fort Worth for a second opinion on his injured left thigh, but he said the outside voice only confirmed what Mavericks physician T.O. Souryal had diagnosed.

"It wasn't anything I didn't already know," Harris said. "I'll just keep working in the pool and getting treatment on it."

High on Dirk and Mavs: Houston coach Jeff Van Gundy believes Dirk Nowitzki is a genuine MVP candidate. He also believes the Mavericks' organization deserves credit for the way it has overcome the loss of Steve Nash.

"I think the most unusual thing about Dallas is, they lost the MVP of last season, and Nash may well be the MVP again," Van Gundy said. "And I think the most underplayed story is how does a team lose an MVP and get better. It just doesn't happen. It's mind-boggling.

"I mean, the Lakers didn't get better when [Shaquille] O'Neal went away."

Voice of experience: Houston center Dikembe Mutombo has a soft spot in his heart for D.J. Mbenga because both hail from the Congo.

Mutombo didn't know Mbenga until just before this season when the Mavericks signed him. Now, Mbenga is getting more of a chance to contribute and Mutombo has taken note.

"There's a great door opening for him now," Mutombo said. "You have to take advantage of that. He can run so well and block shots. I told him, look you don't have to worry how many points you score. He has a chance to be a big-time prominent player."

Mbenga said it's comforting knowing that Mutombo has been through this before him, dealing with a different culture and language, in addition to playing basketball.

Mbenga also said he intends on joining Mutombo on an NBA-sponsored trip to Africa this summer to promote basketball and community service.

"I'm so happy about that," Mbenga said. "I want to give something (back) and talk to them and give them inspiration."

From Redskin nation: Darrell Armstrong is the biggest Washington Redskins fan in Dallas, so naturally, he had a take on Terrell Owens' signing with the Cowboys.

"The team-killer," the point guard called Owens. "The Redskins will be enjoying again."

Asked what he'd have done if the 'Skins had signed Owens, Armstrong didn't hesitate: "I would have cheered hard. I ain't going to lie to you. I'd have been, 'Go, T.O.' I mean the guy plays football well.

"But you don't have to say you're a good teammate. You have to go out and prove you're a good teammate. It's easy to say it. It's hard to prove it."

Briefly: ABC had cameras on site for Tuesday's game to film game-presentation highlights that they will incorporate into their playoff-buildup commercials.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:25 AM   #95
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaw-xx
High on Dirk and Mavs: Houston coach Jeff Van Gundy believes Dirk Nowitzki is a genuine MVP candidate. He also believes the Mavericks' organization deserves credit for the way it has overcome the loss of Steve Nash.

"I think the most unusual thing about Dallas is, they lost the MVP of last season, and Nash may well be the MVP again," Van Gundy said. "And I think the most underplayed story is how does a team lose an MVP and get better. It just doesn't happen. It's mind-boggling.

"I mean, the Lakers didn't get better when [Shaquille] O'Neal went away."
Thank you, JVG!!

It's amazing how such a simple & most-obvious thought evades the minds of the plethora of media analysts at ESPN, espn.com, TNT, etc.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 02:30 AM   #96
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Well maybe the fact that the Mavericks didn't "lose the MVP" has something to do with it. Nash wasn't even an all-star in 2004, let alone MVP.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:45 AM   #97
shaw-xx
Golden Member

Comparing losing Shaq with losing Nash isn't the best choice 'cause the main reason why he's what he is today is the Suns fit him best. But I still appreciate JVG's recognition to Mavs. After all, letting starting PG go for nothing wasn't reinforcement.

Last edited by shaw-xx; 03-22-2006 at 02:46 AM.
shaw-xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 04:38 AM   #98
shaw-xx
Golden Member

From DMN:
Quote:
Van Horn eyeing road trip: Van Horn, out since March 3 with a sprained left knee, said he's hoping to see game action on the upcoming four-game road trip.

Van Horn practiced Wednesday, saying he felt tentative with the knee.

"But the pain has gone down a lot the last couple of days," he said. "I feel good about some of the upcoming games and getting back into action. I'm feeling pretty good about the games on that trip."

Van Horn will be the first of the four injured players to filter back into uniform. The game plan then is to bring Griffin back, followed by Howard and Harris.

"That's obviously not the greatest situation, but there's nothing we can do about it," said Dirk Nowitzki of integrating the injured players back into the rotation. "It's a bad time for injuries, but better now than in another month."
Old 03-23-2006, 07:30 AM   #99
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

MAVERICKS NOTES

Mavs bide time with injuries

By ART GARCIA

DALLAS -- Jerry Stackhouse's mama had a saying for times like this.

"If you can take it, you can make it."

In terms of injuries, the Mavericks are taking it. On the scoreboard, they're making it.

But whether a team that stands 53-15 and remains in the hunt for the top playoff seed in the Western Conference can make it in the playoffs, there are concerns.

"That's not the greatest situation, but there's nothing we can do about it," Dirk Nowitzki said Wednesday after practice. "Obviously, it's a bad time for injuries, but better now than in another month."

Four key members of the rotation remain out in a regular season that's down to 14 games, including tonight against Golden State at American Airlines Center.

Keith Van Horn (knee) practiced Wednesday and might be available Saturday at Atlanta for the start of the four-game Eastern Conference road trip. Josh Howard (hamstring) and Adrian Griffin (hamstring) are also progressing, with Devin Harris (quadriceps) expected to be the slowest to return.

"We have a very conservative plan between the doctors and the trainers and me of how to give us the best chance of getting those guys back and them staying back," coach Avery Johnson said. "We're going to take a shot of doing it that way."

Johnson referred to it as "sprinkling" players back into the lineup. He's optimistic a complete team settles into place for the last five or six games.

The regular seasons ends Wednesday, April 19, and the playoffs begin that weekend.

Even with the layered approach, there's a difference between working one back into the flow and getting four up to speed without throwing things off kilter.

"There will be maybe a couple games where we don't have our rhythm, but these guys have been part of the system long enough that they should be able to get back into it," assistant coach Del Harris said. "Earlier in the season before habits were formed, it would be a little more difficult. But I believe it will be a small bump in the road as opposed to anything that's a major setback."

Harris isn't a stranger to a rash of injuries just before the postseason, having gone through it a couple of times coaching in Milwaukee. But what that Mavs have done is a refreshing twist.

"I've had it, but it usually has taken a team down," Harris said. "This team has been unique in its ability to absorb all those injuries and still play at a very high level.

"And the history of playoff basketball is filled with injuries. Willis Reed comes back and makes it, and Magic [Johnson] goes in and plays center. Some teams find the way to make it anyway, and some teams fall by the wayside. We've got to be one of those teams that find a way."

Briefly

Dirk Nowitzki on the jobs being done by rookies Rawle Marshall and Josh Powell: "They always come ready to play and they play hard. They've already proved so much over the season. So it's been fun to watch. They give us a lift. They're athletic. They both have a bright future in this league."

Avery Johnson received a proclamation Wednesday afternoon from the state of Texas recognizing his community service. It was presented by State Sen. Royce West, D-Dallas.
Old 03-25-2006, 03:53 AM   #100
kriD
Platinum Member

Injuries putting strain on Mavs

The Mavericks beat the odds for a while. But the NBA injury gods are like the casino. Sooner or later, they win.

When you're missing as many integral pieces as the Mavericks are, you can cheat fate for only so long. At some point, you will feel the pinch.

Consider the Mavericks pinched.

They have lost two of their last three games, and the absence of four of their top 10 players has certainly been a factor. They played poor defense Thursday night against Golden State and lost at the buzzer because they couldn't put together enough stops to open up any distance between themselves and the Warriors.

They got beat Sunday at New Jersey because they ran out of steam as healthy players tried to do more to pick up the slack.

Now, the Mavericks hit the road for four games. Two of them, including tonight's game in Atlanta, are against hopelessly lottery-bound teams. Then again, so was the game against Golden State.

"There's nobody we can just walk out and play a subpar basketball game against now and win," coach Avery Johnson said. "We're missing three starters."

For all practical purposes, he's right. Starters Josh Howard and Adrian Griffin remain sidelined with hamstring problems. Devin Harris is a reserve, but he was playing a starter's minutes before he went down with a thigh strain.

Hopefully, by the time the Mavericks get to the middle two games of this trip against championship contender Detroit and playoff-bound Cleveland, Keith Van Horn will be back from his knee injury. Griffin may not be far behind.

Not a moment too soon.

"Obviously, we're missing some of our best perimeter defenders," Dirk Nowitzki said. "We could have used Josh and Grif in the second half" against Golden State.

It was Jason Richardson who launched the buzzer-beating 3-pointer as the last of his 40 points that sent the Mavericks to their sixth home loss of the season against 30 wins. Richardson had 30 of his points after halftime, including 20 in the third quarter.

And then there were the three missed free throws in the final 30 seconds and a defensive rebound that Nowitzki threw away for a three-point play for Troy Murphy.

"We made a lot of mistakes in the last couple of minutes," Nowitzki said. "Hopefully, we'll learn from them."

It matters not: Perhaps it was fitting that the Warriors won on the buzzer-beater. Coach Mike Montgomery felt his team might have gotten a raw call on Derek Fisher's 3-pointer that went in with 5.1 seconds left. The shot was waved off when a foul was called, but it was the sort of play that often gets called as a continuation, with the shot counting and the player getting one free throw.

Should it have counted?

"It seems to me if Kobe Bryant was shooting it, it would have," Montgomery said.

Briefly: The Mavericks may have been clipped by Golden State on Thursday, but in the big picture they are far better off than the Warriors, who have been out of the playoff picture since the All-Star break. "They were playing loose and had nothing to lose," Johnson said. ... The Mavericks used Friday as a travel day, with only low-minute players required to work out.

C-SPAN will air an interview with Mavericks owner Mark Cuban at 7 p.m. Sunday, touching on a variety of subjects in his business and entertainment empire.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:20 AM   #101
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

F'em. Mavs are gonna go 4-0 on this road trip. Dirk has been absolutely out of his mind. Granted, that hasn't been enough against the likes of New Jersey and Golden State, but I think both of those losses can be in no small part blamed on Avery. In the New Jersey game, we were making a comeback, and he inexplicably threw in the towel and stopped going to Dirk in the 4th. In Golden State, he has the guys fouling WAY too early and leaves us wide open for a loss, as well as that stupid tech he was called for earlier in the game. And I'm not being hard on AJ. Actually, I have enough faith in him to believe that he won't make the same mistakes again. Not to mention that J-Rich's buzzer beater was just incredible, something you only see a couple of times in an entire NBA season. Truly miraculous (or disastrous from our perspective.)

I'm concerned, sure, but I'm not panicing yet. I don't know what our record will be when the regular season is finished, but I know Dirk will get us through this. He's playing the best basketball of his career. He's just been superhuman.

We'll probably lose a few more games, but I think 9-4 to close out the season isn't at all unrealistic, which is what it will take to get to 62 wins. And if that isn't enough to get the top seed, then so be it. As long as we have a healthy roster, I'm confident we can beat the Spurs in the 2nd round with or without HCA. Hell, the Mavs seem to play better on the road in the playoffs anyway.

This is just a test, Maverick fans. This is where the men are seperated from the boys, and Dirk is the man.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:49 AM   #102
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Just lace 'em up and play hard every night. If we get the top seed great if not, then not.

The mavs have to get their guys healthy, there's no way to magically bring 'em back, so get out there and compete.

F'em all, let's go!
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 02:36 AM   #103
shaw-xx
Golden Member

Injured players begin trickling back to lineup

Van Horn plays against Atlanta; Howard plans to Tuesday in Detroit

11:21 PM CST on Saturday, March 25, 2006

ATLANTA – Keith Van Horn was back Saturday night.

Next up for a return: Josh Howard.

Van Horn, out since March 3 with a strained left knee, returned against Atlanta, albeit for short stretches to prevent any setbacks, coach Avery Johnson said.

"My knee felt good, but my timing was off," said Van Horn, who played 12 minutes. "I haven't played 5-on-5 in three weeks and I just didn't have any rhythm. Hopefully, I'll have that by Tuesday."

Howard, recovering from a strained left hamstring, said he's going to practice with the team Monday in Detroit. Assuming all goes well, he could be in uniform Tuesday against the Pistons.

"We'll see where it goes," Johnson said. "But Josh is looking really good."
Said Howard: "It stinks to be sitting. There's definitely a light at the end of the tunnel."

Adrian Griffin (hamstring) will be the next player back after Howard, with Devin Harris (thigh) due back in April.

Withdrawal symptoms: Mavericks' radio play-by-play announcer Chuck Cooperstein is spending his first spring in 15 years without calling any NCAA Tournament games.

In his first season as the Mavericks' radio voice, Cooperstein had to give up his run of calling March Madness games.

"I miss it," he said. "There's no doubt if you do something for 15 years, it doesn't immediately leave you. Having said that, I'm having the time of my life doing the Mavericks."

Having the Texas Longhorns playing in the Atlanta Region, just a few alley-oop passes from Philips Arena where the Mavericks played Saturday night, was particularly tough for Cooperstein.

"I'm a little jealous because this is the [NBA] regular season and that's the be-all, end-all," he said. "A month from now, things will be reversed."

Living, learning: The fallout from Thursday's loss to Golden State was still resonating through the locker room.

"Everything that happened last game, happened for a reason," Johnson said. "We saw three or four nuggets that, as a staff, we think are going to be beneficial for us. Sometimes, you can't really see it until you get your heart broken."

Big contingent: The Mavericks have numerous players who are from areas within driving distance of Atlanta. That led to the team needing a combined 218 tickets.

The friends and family were part of the Hawks' first sellout since opening night against the Los Angeles Lakers.
Old 03-26-2006, 02:40 AM   #104
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaw-xx
The friends and family were part of the Hawks' first sellout since opening night against the Los Angeles Lakers.
Interesting. The Dirk Nowitzki MVP show is starting to be a drawing card. No doubt.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 03-26-2006 at 02:40 AM.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 02:49 AM   #105
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Howard, recovering from a strained left hamstring, said he's going to practice with the team Monday in Detroit. Assuming all goes well, he could be in uniform Tuesday against the Pistons.

"We'll see where it goes," Johnson said. "But Josh is looking really good."
Said Howard: "It stinks to be sitting. There's definitely a light at the end of the tunnel."

Quote:
The Mavericks have numerous players who are from areas within driving distance of Atlanta. That led to the team needing a combined 218 tickets.

Old 03-26-2006, 07:04 AM   #106
shaw-xx
Golden Member

From FWST:
Quote:
Forward Josh Howard, who has missed 11 of the past 12 games with a strained left hamstring, plans to practice today, but not play any time soon.
http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/ba...s/14191889.htm

Huh, which one should I get into more? Just don't see he will play next game. Too soon comeback isn't secure....
Old 03-26-2006, 09:53 AM   #107
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
Interesting. The Dirk Nowitzki MVP show is starting to be a drawing card. No doubt.
also think its partially due to the fact that the Horns were playing in the ATL the same day. I'm sure there was a lot of carry over as the Georgia dome is very close to Phillips.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 02:07 PM   #108
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

TheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to all

thats pretty cool that we sold it out, regardless of how it happened.

remember back when reunion would sell out only when it was the bulls/jazz/lakers?
TheBlueVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 06:50 AM   #109
shaw-xx
Golden Member

From FWST:
Quote:
The Mavs will be without two players who were instrumental in that victory. Josh Howard (26 points) and Devin Harris (14) won't play Tuesday because of injuries.
http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/ba...s/14196601.htm
Old 03-28-2006, 07:44 AM   #110
shaw-xx
Golden Member

More than pride is at stake

Posted on Tue, Mar. 28, 2006

By DWAIN PRICE

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. - It may sound farfetched, but when the Mavericks square off against the Detroit Pistons at 6:30 tonight at the Palace of Auburn Hills, this could go a long way in determining homecourt advantage in the NBA Finals.

The Mavs (54-16) have a 119-82 win over the Pistons (55-14) on Nov. 19. If the Mavs win tonight, the tiebreaker helps decide which team will have homecourt advantage should they meet in the Finals.

Although a lot has to happen until that possible June matchup, it certainly isn't lost on the Mavs.

"It's a game that I know everybody has been looking forward to," Mavs coach Avery Johnson said. "I think it's a great position to be in. We've been pretty consistent all year, and so have they."

Getting out of town with a win won't be easy.

"It'll be a hostile environment," forward Dirk Nowitzki said. "It'll be probably a very physical game under the basket, because the refs are probably going to let us play some."

Breaking down the game, guard Jerry Stackhouse said: "It's an important game. Is it the most important game of the year? I don't think so. But is it one of the important games of the year as far as homecourt advantage goes? Yeah."

All hands (almost) on deck

All of the Mavs practiced Monday afternoon at the Palace of Auburn Hills except guard Devin Harris. However, Avery Johnson said Josh Howard, Adrian Griffin and Harris aren't ready for game action.

"Josh and Grif looked pretty good today," Johnson said. "But I'm not sure if they looked good enough to play in a game."

Forward Keith Van Horn played Saturday against Atlanta after missing 11 games with a sprained left knee and said he felt much better after Monday's workout.
"It's hard going out there playing when you're thinking about the knee," Van Horn said. "It's nice to just go out there and play and not worry about it, and not worry about re-injuring it, so hopefully I'll be at that point soon."

Reporter's decision

If the Mavericks advance to the NBA Finals, German TV reporter Sarah Beckmann has a major decision to make.

Beckmann can either cover the Finals, with Germany's Dirk Nowitzki starting either June 6 or June 8. Or, she can cover the World Cup, which starts June 9 in Munich.

Beckmann, who spent the past two days in Detroit interviewing Nowitzki, said the World Cup is the biggest thing in Europe, and no other sport can compete abroad with soccer.

"It's already crazy up there," Beckmann said. "Everybody loves soccer over there: every child, every granddad. If there's a big event in soccer, everybody goes wild."
Old 03-28-2006, 01:50 PM   #111
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

i just posted a new thread, about them signing someone new..then i just saw this one...oh well..sorry guys
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 07:13 PM   #112
shaw-xx
Golden Member

From DMN:
Quote:
One more game: Josh Howard and Adrian Griffin are closing in on their return, but Wednesday's game at Cleveland is more likely than tonight's in Detroit.

Howard went through most of practice Monday and said his left hamstring was improved. Griffin participated in part of practice.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...e.d7c3ffc.html
Old 03-29-2006, 02:02 AM   #113
shaw-xx
Golden Member

Howard, Griffin still waiting

Johnson reminds injured Mavs that there's no rush

11:54 PM CST on Tuesday, March 28, 2006

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. – After the Mavericks' shootaround Tuesday morning, Avery Johnson called Josh Howard, Adrian Griffin and trainer Casey Smith to midcourt for a powwow.

For several minutes, Johnson draped an arm over the shoulders of Griffin and Howard. While it had the appearance of a group hug, it was all business.

"We just wanted to make sure we were on the same page," Johnson said. "We're still firm that they're not going to come back until they're ready. And they're not ready. We probably won't have them back in the next game or two."

Johnson added that the timetable has changed slightly, particularly for Griffin, whose return will be pushed back – perhaps until Friday at Orlando or Sunday against Denver. Howard has gone through a practice and a shootaround without any complications from his left hamstring. But he will wait as long as it takes to make sure there are no recurrences.

"I'm not pushing him to return," Howard said. "And he's not pushing me."

Griffin, recovering from a right hamstring strain, has been growing impatient to get back on the court but is willing to wait. Not playing against Detroit was a bummer, because he had not yet joined the Mavs when they beat the Pistons by 37 in November.

"I guess I'll have to wait until we play them in the Finals, or next year," he said.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:31 PM   #114
KFunk

KFunk will become famous soon enough

Well if we don't have them back in the next game or two when the hell do we get them back? There's only so many games left until the playoffs, and the idea of them waiting until the playoffs start to get back on the floor after resting for a month or so just sounds bad. They need to start playing soon so that they aren't rusty for the playoffs....
I thought Del was expecting them back with 10 games to go?
KFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 09:39 PM   #115
KFunk

KFunk will become famous soon enough

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/ba...s/14212533.htm
"No go

Coach Avery Johnson said he doesn't expect to play injured players Josh Howard, Devin Harris or Adrian Griffin on this road trip, which concludes Friday in Orlando, Fla."

Well I hope that means they'll be ready to finally play after Friday
KFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 01:25 AM   #116
shaw-xx
Golden Member

Avery wants more from Mavs

Coach not impressed with stumbles on road during stretch run

11:39 PM CST on Wednesday, March 29, 2006

CLEVELAND – Healthy or not – and the Mavericks will be closer to full strength Friday night at Orlando – coach Avery Johnson is none too pleased with the way his team is treating the most important time of the season.

He equated it Wednesday to a long-distance race – one the Mavericks aren't handling well at the end.

"You're in the New York Marathon, how many miles is that, 26.2 miles?" Johnson said. "After the 20th mile, your body doesn't feel like it felt when you started, right? It requires even more toughness, fight and perseverance, because those last six miles are going to be tougher than the first 20."

Point made. The Mavericks are not running their best race as the season strides into the final 10 games. Tuesday night's loss at Detroit drove home several issues that the Mavericks must address as they continue to get injured players back. Mainly, they must pay closer attention to details at the defensive end of the court.

"There were one or two things that really disturbed me about that game that I won't get into," Johnson said. "I'm just trying to figure out if they really understand this next level that we need to go to."

The Mavericks were outscored 11-2 in the final four-plus minutes against Detroit, fumbling away a game that was there for the taking.

Howard to return: Josh Howard said before Wednesday's game at Cleveland that he would be back in uniform Friday at Orlando.

"I'm going to give it a shot, I think," he said.

Johnson reiterated that the Mavericks have a definite timetable for bringing back Howard, Adrian Griffin and Devin Harris.

"And," Johnson said, "somebody's definite time to return will be the next game."
When they come back, Johnson expects great things.

"I'm hoping that my injured guys are as rested as anybody in the NBA," he said. "I'm hoping they can really show that on the defensive end, because they've been watching and seeing how we've been getting burned."

Diop drops by: DeSagana Diop played four seasons in Cleveland and saw a lot of old friends and familiar faces in his first trip to Quicken Loans Arena as a Maverick.

He also got a smattering of boos when he was introduced with the Mavericks' starting lineup.

"I tried to do the best I could when I was here," he said. "It wasn't like I was a bad guy. Sometimes, you just have to move on."

No big deal: San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich told reporters before the Spurs beat the Los Angeles Clippers on Tuesday night that fans should not be surprised that the Mavericks and Spurs are headed for another photo finish.

"Everybody acts like this is a new deal," he said. "It's been like this for the last four, five years with Dallas. We have a race every year.

"The only thing different is they have that little traitor [Johnson] over there coaching for Dallas."
Old 03-31-2006, 04:44 AM   #117
shaw-xx
Golden Member

Mavs missing ailing trio

Dallas has been losing ground minus Howard, Griffin and Harris

11:04 PM CST on Thursday, March 30, 2006

ORLANDO, Fla. – The Mavericks put up a good fight. But it's clear now that they can't get it done in the NBA's high-rent district without Josh Howard.

Their record since he went out with a strained left hamstring is 8-6. He came back for 13 minutes in one game. But since that false start nine games ago, they're 5-4.

That's fine if you're the Clippers or the Lakers. But all it's going to get you is lapped if your competition is the Spurs.

Tonight, Howard is scheduled to return to the court, and not a moment too soon.

Avery Johnson hasn't lost three games in a row in his coaching career, and he doesn't want to change that now. The Orlando Magic may be headed to the lottery. But at this point, with the Mavericks on a downturn, nothing can be taken for granted.

None of the Mavericks believe their recent mediocrity is reason to fret.

Howard will be back, presumably healthy and rested. Adrian Griffin isn't far behind. Devin Harris is due back next week, perhaps.

Each absence cannot be overstated. Harris has missed 10 consecutive games and the Mavericks are 5-5. Harris, Griffin and Howard are the Mavericks' three best perimeter defenders. Getting them all back soon ensures the future isn't bleak.

"I love coaching this team, through thick and thin," Johnson said. "I'm on the train with them, whether it gets rocky or not. I think we have a heck of a team. I think we can still turn this into a special season. But right now, we're just sputtering.

"That doesn't mean our season is over. That doesn't mean we don't have the same goals. We still have all those things."

To have any chance to realize their goals, the Mavericks must get healthy. Jason Terry has been forced to play point guard more with Harris out. And the team has bogged down late in games, when defenses stiffen.

Dirk Nowitzki has had to work harder for shots and has played more minutes during the injury crunch.

Getting healthy will ease the burden on everybody, because the Mavericks have looked beaten down of late.

"You don't want to ever think that," Johnson said. "I'm proud of what these guys have done under some tough circumstances. They haven't quit. I'm hoping we can look back on this stretch and say that everybody hung in there. Nobody pointed fingers and we held our ground during this tough stretch."

Dirk says relax: When the subject of catching San Antonio comes up, the Mavericks know the odds are against them.

Going into the last 10 games, they have to make up two games in the loss column to tie. And at that point, they would be at the mercy of tiebreakers that are stacked against them.

"It's hard not to get caught up in this race, but obviously, it doesn't matter if you're a one or a four seed if you don't play at a high level," Nowitzki said. "You're going to have a tough time. You've got to make sure you're clicking on all cylinders and have everybody healthy. That's really more of a concern than the one or the four seed."

That sentiment filtered through the locker room after Wednesday's loss at Cleveland. Even if the Mavericks were to finish 8-2, the Spurs would only have to go 6-4 – if they win April 7 in San Antonio against the Mavs – to clinch the No. 1 seed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Mavs lose Mbenga to suspension, Daniels to injury

Posted on Fri, Mar. 31, 2006

By DWAIN PRICE

ORLANDO _ The already short-handed Mavericks had their roster trimmed some more Friday when the NBA suspended center DJ Mbenga, while guard Marquis Daniels is injured again.

Neither player will be available when the Mavericks play the Orlando Magic at 6 p.m. Friday at TD Waterhouse Centre.

Mbenga was suspended for one game without pay when he was issued a Flagrant One foul after he struck Cleveland’s LeBron James in the head _ the blow knocked James’ headband off _ during Wednesday’s 107-94 loss to the Cavaliers. Game officials originally gave Mbenga a Flagrant One foul, but after reviewing video of the incident, the NBA upgraded it to a Flagrant Two foul.

“That’s crazy," said Mbenga, who won’t be allowed in the arena Friday night. “I’m surprised.

“When I fouled him, I was just out there playing my game. I’m just trying to block shots. It was not my intentions to try to hurt him."

In addition to Mbenga’s absence, the Mavs will also be without Daniels, who said he reaggravated his neck at some point during the game against Cleveland.

“It’s a just a little precautionary thing, and it’s nothing to worry about,’’ Daniels said. “It’s too early to tell whether I’ll play Sunday [at home against Denver], but I’m definitely looking forward to it."

Daniels missed 14 games earlier this season with a strained neck. On a personal front, Daniels’ latest injury hurts even more, because he’s from Orlando and was in the process of purchasing 100 tickets for the Mavs’ lone appearance in Orlando this season.
“Of all the places to get this, it’s here," Daniels said. “But it’ll be for the best."

While the Mavs will not have Daniels and Mbenga, Josh Howard is expected to play, although the Mavs are still listing him as a gametime decision. However, Devin Harris (strained left quadriceps) and Adrian Griffin (strained right hamstring) are definitely out for the game.

“I’m out and DJ gets suspended; that’s crazy," Daniels said. “It puts a strain the team, but we’ll get Josh back tonight.

“This will show our depth, and guys will have to just step up and make things happen. They know what they’ve got to do."

Last edited by shaw-xx; 03-31-2006 at 07:32 PM.
shaw-xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 02:48 PM   #118
Flip41

Flip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the rough

I heard daniels is out for tonights game witha neck injury.
Flip41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 11:11 PM   #119
Milles

Milles will become famous soon enoughMilles will become famous soon enough

Van Horn hurt again: Keith Van Horn suffered a right thumb injury against Orlando. X-rays taken after the game were inconclusive. Van Horn, who was evaluated by team physician Dr. T.O. Souryal on Saturday, will have his status for today determined at game time.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...e.26dee74.html
Milles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 12:15 AM   #120
Locked_Up_Tonight
Platinum Member

Locked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to behold

Marquis Daniels and Keith Van Horn once their playing days are through will get big endorsement deals from

Charmin
Cialis
Viagra