Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-02-2006, 08:46 PM   #1
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Playoff roster bubble

Okay, if Van Horn isn't going to be able to go, then it's only more guy to be trimmed for the playoff roster.

Powell would seem to be a must-have if Van Horn is down. Do you keep Marshall or Benga? Is Daniels so nicked up that you have to keep Marshall even if you want the frontcourt depth?

Or, if Harris comes back fully healthy, does Armstrong watch this one from the bench like AJ did in '03?

Or, might the Mavs bite the bullet on Daniels and keep all three of Armstrong, Marshall, and Benga?

Or, what if Van Horn might be able to come back for a potential WCF series against the Suns, when he would doubtless be of great value if healthy? If they gamble on Van Horn in this case, does Benga then have to stay for sure?

Of course, any combination of the above scenarios complicates the deal nicely.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2006, 08:51 PM   #2
atrewsfan
Banned

atrewsfan will become famous soon enoughatrewsfan will become famous soon enough

Keep as many big men as possible. We'll possibly be going up against the likes of Duncan and Amare and Sheed and B. Wallace so we need to have as many bodies as possible to defend/foul them with. I want numbers at PF/C so it doesn't get whittled down to Dirk so quickly.
atrewsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 08:57 PM   #3
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

So how many players... I'm assuming keith is done.

1. Dirk
2. Josh
3. Jason
4. Griffin
5. Jet
6. Stack
7. Devin
8. Dampier
9. Darrell
10. DJ
11. Marquis
12. Rawle/Powell

I say Rawle is left off. If Josh/Marquis are okay, Rawle doesn't add much at all. Josh will have to pick up PF minutes.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 04-02-2006 at 08:57 PM.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 09:04 PM   #4
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure Marshall is the guy on the out looking in. But I can see a situation where it gets interesting, though. Say they want to keep KVH and they are convinced Harris is healthy and they are afraid Daniels isn't. In that case, they might drop the third point guard and keep the extra swingman, which would both DA and DJ on the bench.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:08 PM   #5
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394

1. Dirk
2. Josh
3. Jason
4. Griffin
5. Jet
6. Stack
7. Devin
8. Dampier
9. Darrell
10. DJ
11. Marquis
12. Rawle/Powell

I say Rawle is left off. If Josh/Marquis are okay, Rawle doesn't add much at all. Josh will have to pick up PF minutes.
You left Diop off that list.
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 09:10 PM   #6
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedays
You left Diop off that list.
Then neither rawle/powell make it.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 04-02-2006, 09:17 PM   #7
atrewsfan
Banned

atrewsfan will become famous soon enoughatrewsfan will become famous soon enough

I dunno, only 4 big men? We'd asking for trouble against the likes of Brad Miller, Camby, Amare, Duncan, the Wallaces, etc. if someone gets in foul trouble.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:19 PM   #8
chumdawg
Guru

Nah. Either Benga or DA goes before Powell goes. Probably Benga, but something tells me DA might get pinched by circumstance.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:22 PM   #9
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Centers: Diop, Damp, DJ

We need 3 big guys for their defense, rebounding and 18 fouls.

PF: Dirk, Powell

Powell is a must with KVH presumably out for the season. May be there's a chance KVH could come back for PHX series, but I think that's too much of a risk for potentially a small gain.

SF: Josh, Grif

That's an obvious call there.

SG: Stack, Marquis (or Rawle if Marquis is not totally healthy!)

I hope Marquis gets healthy soon. If not, for the few minutes available, Rawle's probably not too bad a choice. He's a better defender at this point and he seems to play well within himself. Of course, we'll miss Marquis' passing and scoring.

PG: Terry, Devin, DA

DA is needed in the 12. We need his pesky defense on Nash & Parker even if it's only for 5-10min/game. Also, given Devin's injury problems this year, we need him as an insurance.

Last edited by V2M; 04-02-2006 at 09:25 PM.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 09:24 PM   #10
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394

1. Dirk
2. Josh
3. Jason
4. Griffin
5. Jet
6. Stack
7. Devin
8. Dampier
9. Darrell
10. DJ
11. Marquis
12. Rawle/Powell

You have Terry, twice!
Old 04-02-2006, 09:25 PM   #11
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by V2M
PF: Dirk, Powell

Powell is a must with KVH presumably out for the season. May be there's a chance KVH could come back for PHX series, but I think that's too much of a risk for potentially a small gain.
I hate to seem...business-like...in saying this but KVH's contract does expire after this season. That being the case, I don't think we're risking too much if he were to come back and play in the second round.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:26 PM   #12
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V2M
You have Terry, twice!
He probably meant Diop. Right dude?

So that does free up an extra spot for Powell.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:29 PM   #13
atrewsfan
Banned

Quote:
I hate to seem...business-like...in saying this but KVH's contract does expire after this season. That being the case, I don't think we're risking too much if he were to come back and play in the second round.
So if his face somehow fell off off his head after we won the championship with his help, who cares? That'd be a problem for him in the offseason, not us...
Old 04-02-2006, 09:34 PM   #14
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrewsfan
So if his face somehow fell off off his head after we won the championship with his help, who cares? That'd be a problem for him in the offseason, not us...
Yup
Old 04-02-2006, 09:46 PM   #15
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by V2M
You have Terry, twice!
My list is screwed! No wonder I couldn't get josh on there.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:47 PM   #16
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
If he can play in the second round, I'm sure he makes the roster. If his prognosis is *maybe* the WCF, then I think you have to seriously consider taking another player instead.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:12 PM   #17
DirkGoesNuclear

DirkGoesNuclear has a spectacular aura aboutDirkGoesNuclear has a spectacular aura aboutDirkGoesNuclear has a spectacular aura about

Didn't they change the rule such that you can make roster changes after every series? Say after the 1st round you've got 3 guys down, does the league say 'tough luck'?
Old 04-02-2006, 10:43 PM   #18
V2M
Diamond Member

Quote:
My concern was not over KVH's health for next season but primarily from leaving out Powell or DJ or DA for an injury-prone KVH, just for the playoffs.

Last edited by V2M; 04-02-2006 at 10:44 PM.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:40 AM   #19
V2M
Diamond Member

Sorry... double post!

Last edited by V2M; 04-03-2006 at 01:41 AM.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:11 AM   #20
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

This is what I think:

Point-Guards:
1. Devin Harris
2. Jason Terry
3. Superspare

Shooting Guards
4. Stackhouse
5. Daniels

Small Fowards
6. Howard
7. Griffin

Power Forwards
8. Dirkster
9. Van Horn if he is healthy, Powell if he's not

Centers
10. Dampier
11. Diop
12. DJ

What seems to be the problem?

Last edited by bernardos70; 04-03-2006 at 02:13 AM.
bernardos70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 05:45 AM   #21
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

Rawle Marshall should be left off the list.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 07:52 PM   #22
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Ive never been more confused than i am right now with this post.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 11:48 PM   #23
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

TheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to all

what happens if we pick up kemp/laettner?

powells got to be the odd man out

Last edited by TheBlueVan; 04-03-2006 at 11:48 PM.
TheBlueVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 12:30 AM   #24
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

Dirk
Jet
Howard
Daniels
Stack
Harris
Damp
Diop
DA
Griff
Powell
Kemp/Rawle (i'd say Kemp if we get him)

I dont see a problem here... its just a shame KVH wont be on that list
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 02:51 PM   #25
NewMexiMav

NewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to behold

I'm probably still drunkenly optimistic after Josh Powell's eye-opening performance against the Queens, but I don't think you want to waste a playoff roster spot on KVH unless you are relatively certain that he will return to the line-up no later than Game 1 of the conference semi's. Any later than that and the risk of not having that extra big body on the front line outweighs any reward KVH could bring in the WCF or beyond. Ya gotta get through the Rounds 1 and 2 first!
NewMexiMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 02:58 PM   #26
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexiMav
I'm probably still drunkenly optimistic after Josh Powell's eye-opening performance against the Queens, but I don't think you want to waste a playoff roster spot on KVH unless you are relatively certain that he will return to the line-up no later than Game 1 of the conference semi's. Any later than that and the risk of not having that extra big body on the front line outweighs any reward KVH could bring in the WCF or beyond. Ya gotta get through the Rounds 1 and 2 first!
We have to get through round 2! End of story... Round 1 we can get through with what's out there right now. Round 2 is the WCF's and we will need to bring it brotha'... If KVH can't help there and you can pick up someone who can, you have to do it.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:01 PM   #27
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

Nothing would be worse than Keith Van Horn just returning from injury in round 2 and screwing us up. I'd say leave him off.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 02:51 AM   #28
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

Mavs trust Johnson to make right moves with rotation

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

SAN ANTONIO – Adrian Griffin's return to action – either tonight or Monday – means some decision-making for Avery Johnson.

Griffin is listed as a game-time decision for New Orleans' visit to American Airlines Center. If he doesn't play tonight, he will Monday in Los Angeles against the Clippers.

Getting a player back who has started 42 of the 47 games he's played in will require Johnson to determine which lineup is best heading into the playoffs.

"The team trusts my judgment to make the best decision," he said. "We were at our best when Adrian Griffin was starting at small forward. We were pretty special, and Stack was coming off the bench."

Jerry Stackhouse has been starting while Griffin has been out with a strained right hamstring.

"Whatever he decides is fine," Stackhouse said of Johnson. "He's going to do what's best for the team. We all know that."

No change at center: While Johnson hinted that the starting lineup will change before the playoffs, any alteration will not come at center.

DeSagana Diop has been struggling of late, with Erick Dampier being the sharper of the two centers.

"But we like where Damp is," Johnson said. "And we like where DeSagana is, too."

MVP fever: The MVP race is getting down to the nitty-gritty, and Dirk Nowitzki may be gaining ground late in the season.

Part of the reason, Johnson believes, is because Nowitzki has not missed a game all season.

"I think it's got to count for something," Johnson said. "And he's consistently good. He may not have the 60-point games or whatever. But he's consistently good at what he does, and that should weigh for something."

Harris back in a week: Devin Harris continues to make progress in recovering from a strained left thigh. The game plan is for Harris to play in the last two or three games of the regular season.

"That gives us our best shot at getting him back healthy mentally and physically and ready to play," Johnson said.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 02:36 PM   #29
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriD
Mavs trust Johnson to make right moves with rotation

Harris back in a week: Devin Harris continues to make progress in recovering from a strained left thigh. The game plan is for Harris to play in the last two or three games of the regular season.

"That gives us our best shot at getting him back healthy mentally and physically and ready to play," Johnson said.
This is really good to hear
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 11:57 AM   #30
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation

According to hoopshype, playoff rosters have been expanded to 13.

Only 12 can be active, but you are now allowed to have 1 deactivated player before each game.

Playoff rosters are due next Thursday.

I tried posting a link, but my computer froze and all hell broke loose.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 04-11-2006 at 11:58 AM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 12:18 PM   #31
orangedays
Platinum Member

NBA Expands Playoff Rosters (Linkage)

NEW YORK, April 11, 2006 – The National Basketball Association announced today that the league’s Board of Governors has approved the expansion of playoff rosters for the 2006 NBA Playoffs.

In the past, teams carried 12-man rosters during the playoffs. This year, teams will be allowed to carry 13-man playoff rosters although only twelve players will be eligible to play in each playoff game. Teams will be required to deactivate one player prior to each game.

NBA teams will have until 3 p.m. ET on Thursday, April 20 to file their 13-man playoff roster with the league office.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:33 PM   #32
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

Mavs relieved as NBA expands playoff rosters

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

A possible roster issue for the Mavericks has been resolved by the NBA, which on Tuesday announced that playoff rosters were being increased from 12 to 13 players.

The move means that the Mavericks won't have to leave one healthy player off their playoff roster. With Keith Van Horn and Pavel Podkolzin injured, the Mavericks expect to have 13 healthy bodies.

Under the old, 12-man format, somebody would have had to be left off the roster.

With the new setup, one player will have to be deactivated before each playoff game. Only 12 players will be allowed to suit up.

The only concern for the Mavericks would be if Van Horn becomes healthy enough to merit consideration as the 13th player. He is recovering from hand surgery and it's conceivable he could be ready to play if the Mavericks reached the Western Conference finals or NBA Finals.

The Mavericks have until 2 p.m. April 20 to finalize their playoff roster.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 04:58 PM   #33
NewMexiMav

NewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriD
The only concern for the Mavericks would be if Van Horn becomes healthy enough to merit consideration as the 13th player. He is recovering from hand surgery and it's conceivable he could be ready to play if the Mavericks reached the Western Conference finals or NBA Finals.
Assuming a healthy return for Harris and Griffin, if the doctors believe KVH could return at any time in the playoff run, I'd use the 13th roster spot for him and leave Rawle off the active roster.
NewMexiMav is offline   Reply With Quote