Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-08-2006, 01:11 AM   #1
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future
Default Spurs/Mavs Thoughts

I was forced to watch this game from a family member's house with loud people who couldn't have cared less about this game. Needless to say, I had a long night.

Anyway, I thought the big difference in this game was all of the things that fans sometimes worry about. Dirk was huge. The defense was great. Dallas had other players step up and defeat the Spurs collectively.

I don't know about anyone else, but I was so proud of the team tonight. I thought this victory took a lot of guts. The Spurs don't lose at home. When they do, it's almost a fluke. So Dallas goes in and beats the Spurs at home against a team that still has plenty to play for and is breathing fire from their last loss at home.

First of all, Dirk better get some more talk in the MVP race. Seriously, who has done more for their team that this guy? Tonight, with all of the talk about how the Spurs are in his head, Dirk delivered in a big way. (By the way, are two games enough to get in someone's head? I don't remember people saying that Damp was in Shaq's head when he held Shaq to less than twenty a couple of times. Double standard, anyone?) Anyway, watching ESPN, I couldn't help but laugh. Michael Finley had as many good highlights as Dirk did. Why not? Finley hit at least two shots that I remember. Meanwhile, they did manage to show Dirk missing shots in the first half. Although they came back and showed him hitting shots in the second half, it's like they wanted to make clear that he had his problems or something. It really gets to feeling like no one wants to give him credit. I would also like to mention Dirk's solid defensive play on the night and his work on the boards. There was a time in the first half when I thought the lack of success on the defensive boards was going to cost this team.

Again, the defense did a great job. The Spurs shot 38%. Duncan and Parker combined for 23 points. As mentioned, there were some problems corralling rebounds in the first half, but the team did seem to get progressively better in that regard.

How about Josh Howard? Is there anyone now who doubts his importance to this team? The guy literally carried the Mavs in the first half. He will not back down from anyone in this league, and he shouldn't! I admired the way he worked all night, and his offense was huge. Having another player who can create his own shot and get into the lane for higher percentage shots is invaluable. He also did a great job of coming back and tracking down rebounds. 22 points, 10 rebounds, and intangibles that can't be measured. Do you ever wonder if this division might not have even been a race had he not missed all of those games?

Jason Terry also played a good game. Actually, the best part of his game tonight might have been his defense. He really worked hard against Parker, and he had plenty of help from his teammates. He played a controlled game though, and I liked the fact that he seemed more attentive to the defensive boards as the game went along. I would imagine the coaches made a point of letting the guards know they were going to have to help. 14-5-4 and 2 steals, and he played Parker to a standstill.

Jerry Stackhouse also had a nice, more controlled game. Stack still had a couple of turnovers, and I believe that a couple of them might have been on offensive fouls. I thought the key to Stack's game tonight though was making sure that San Antonio didn't have anyone they could hide their defenders on, and...

I believe that is going to key in the playoffs for the Mavs. At this point, I think most of us have a pretty good idea of what to expect from Dirk, Terry, and even Josh. But against good defensive teams, I believe the Mavs have to make sure that they have enough threats to keep their opponents honest. Duncan, for instance, can't be allowed to freely roam. He wasn't tonight. Whoever was being guarded by Timmy was aggressive and attacking all night long. Ginobili has a harder team cheating off and getting into passing lanes, and Bowen can't guard everyone. It doesn't change the fact that the Spurs are a great defensive team. But you can't commit suicide by playing 2-3 guys at a time who are no threat to put points on the board.

The Spurs had to pay attention to guys like Stack and Josh, and that was a huge key in the game.

Daniels didn't play many minutes, and he didn't play particularly well in the parts of the game I saw. I know that people want Daniels to be a good two way player, but there are times that he doesn't do a ton to inspire confidence. I think he has it in him, but consistency seems to be a problem. Fouls might have had something to do with tonight though.

Josh Powell is getting some meaningful minutes. He didn't embarrass himself. He had a nice jumper on the baseline that I thought was a big shot. If he can do that, keep his turnovers to a minimum, and keep bringing energy, he can do the job behind Dirk for those few minutes a game. I've actually been more surprised at how the coaches even play him at the 3 ahead of Daniels sometimes. I wonder who that speaks to more, Daniels or Powell?

If I look at the stats, it would be easy to say that I was mildly disappointed in Damp. I was disappointed because I want Damp to clearly be the physical force inside. I want him to be the dominant defender and rebounder on the floor when he's out there. Most nights I think he is. Tonight, there were times that I thought Oberto was completely nullifying him. At the same time, the things Dampier did don't show up on the stat sheet. I thought Damp played very solid defense against Duncan. He forced him farther out on the perimeter, and he bodied him up well. He also had a gorgeous behind the back pass to Powell for a dunk, and he seemed more aggressive in trying to score. I have a hunch that was by design. As mentioned, I don't think you can allow the Spurs to play 5 on 3. Everyone on the court needs to be a threat. Even though he didn't convert some of his shots, I thought Damp was a threat.

Diop played a solid game, but it was somewhat uneven. You could probably make a case that this was one of Diop's better games in a couple of weeks. The number that stands out is 4, as in blocks. He did do a very good job of helping out on penetration. But the number 1 also stands out, as in rebounds acquired in the 21 minutes he played. That won't cut it. On the bright side, he did hit a pretty big free throw in the crunch time.

I want to make sure I talk about Avery Johnson too. Coach had these guys ready to play. Not only that, he had his team playing very disciplined. The team continued to attack the basket even if they didn't get some calls they thought they deserved. The right people were taking the big shots. The team seemed to have a little different rotation and minute distribution as well. Now, none of this may end up mattering too much. The Spurs could still likely end up #1 in the West. But this game proves that Dallas is not just another step on the Spurs way to a matchup with Detroit. That's going to be a series. Either team can beat the other - at home or on the road. In the meantime, this team showed how tough-minded it is. They showed how competitive they are. They showed grit. That's the part that excited me most.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2006, 01:14 AM   #2
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

Concerning AJ, during a timeout during the second quarter with the Mavs seemingly reeling with a 9 point deficit, a friend I was watching the game with remarked that this is where AJ earns his money. AJ certainly earned his money tonight. Don't remember the specifics, but the Mavs started to go on a run from that timeout on.

Last edited by jleefilled; 04-08-2006 at 01:16 AM.
jleefilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 02:02 AM   #3
EastDallasCowboy

EastDallasCowboy has a spectacular aura aboutEastDallasCowboy has a spectacular aura about

When Dirk turned it on, the team did. And won it.

And there is no longer any doubt to the important of J-Ho.
EastDallasCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 06:26 AM   #4
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

I think it is awesome that Duncan can't guard Dirk anymore. I never thought I would rest easy when Dirk pulled that matchup. He was absolutely clutch in those last two minutes. Both in hitting shot after shot, and rebounding at the end of the game. Great win.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 09:45 AM   #5
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all

My thought= "CHECK"

Last edited by birdsanctuary; 04-09-2006 at 11:46 PM.
birdsanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 10:02 AM   #6
Mavs Rule
Platinum Member

Mavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to all

Great game. Avery had the boys ready. The mental toughness was incredible down the stretch. That is very impressive heading into the playoffs where it is extremely important.

Dirk was phenomenal!! What else can you say other than MVP.

Howard carried us big time when we were hurting in the first half. His penetration really hurt the spurs. The midrange floater was a thing of beauty tonight.

Terry did a great job with Parker. He didn't get in the lane as much as he usually does against us. Good help defense was a mainstay last night.

I was very disappointed in Stack. He has become my whipping boy over the last several weeks. He fails to close out on perimeter shooters. He doesn't block out on rebounding. He has too many turnovers every game. He doesn't play smart ball. He forces his shot way too much. He settles for outside jumpers when his outside shot isn't falling. I would rather see Dirk or Terry shoot from a double team than have stack shoot period. Part of the problem might be that the officials are not letting Stack get to the free throw line as much as they have in past years. They tend to call charges way too much on him. But, that said, he is still this year's employee #8 to me.

Speaking of not getting any calls, Marquis is an offensive foul magnet for the refs. I think it is actually starting to affect his confidence when operating in the paint, which used to be where he shines. He is a much better player than he has been showing, and I would rather him be playing than Stack.

Damp seems to be moving much better in the paint covering whoever is penetrating with some quick feet. Although his rebounding could have been better, he is looking very good going into the playoffs.

Overall, a spectacular win in a very tough arena to win in. It is great to see the mavs come up BIG in a big game, inspiring confidence as we head toward the title!

Mavericks team pic. Guess which one is Stack.

Last edited by Mavs Rule; 04-08-2006 at 10:05 AM.
Mavs Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 10:25 AM   #7
Mavfan + Ravenfan

Mavfan + Ravenfan is on a distinguished road
Default Griffin's impotance

Regarding quis and stack, at this point in there carrers, I don't think that just those two by themselfs can consistently put up good numbers at the 2 postiton. With the return of griffin, I think there productivity will increase. Stack said he feels more comfortable coming of the bench to give the bench a spark. And quis said he doesn't want to start over griffin anymore because of the well being of he teams success. Griffin is really important to this team, he the best defender on the team and best rebounder at the 2 position. When we have griff j-ho defending, getting into passing lanes, getting loose balls, and rebounding in the paint, thats when we have our best defensive games and best games overall.
When we was eight, we went to Bat Day to see the Yanks
In Sixty-Nine, his father and mines, they robbed banks
He pointed to the charm on his neck
With his last bit of energy left, told me rock it with respect
I opened it, seen the god holdin his kids
Photogenic, tears just burst out my wig

AKA-wu banga at db.com
AKA-mavsravensfanatic at scout.com
Mavfan + Ravenfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 11:19 AM   #8
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavfan + Ravenfan
Stack said he feels more comfortable coming of the bench to give the bench a spark.
Actually, Stack said he feels more comfortable starting because he is warmed up from the shootaround.

Last edited by Bookit; 04-08-2006 at 11:20 AM.
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 11:20 AM   #9
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

The best thing about this game was that josh showed that he wont let them stick duncan on him. That was the most underrated problem the mavs had last year. If the team puts an athletic 3 on dirk josh has got to abuse the pf they put on him and he did that last night.

Oh yeah that and dirk showing why he is clearly the mvp doesnt hurt. THe spurs are in his head? He is averaging a little over 25 a night against them this year. THat is pretty solid dont ya think?
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 11:48 AM   #10
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktruth
I think it is awesome that Duncan can't guard Dirk anymore. I never thought I would rest easy when Dirk pulled that matchup. He was absolutely clutch in those last two minutes. Both in hitting shot after shot, and rebounding at the end of the game. Great win.
Duncan could NEVER guard Dirk. But it never really mattered because we didn't have anyone who could guard Duncan either. That's not the case anymore. Mavs > Spurs
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 12:39 PM   #11
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

I glad the Mavs won, but I don't like that way they did it. All Jumpers from Dirk. He was hot so we won, but I wish we would have more penetration, all game. I mean I know why they didn't, Lack of foul calls for Terry, abudance of foul calls on Quise, but I would have love to see more easy baskets. Jho did a good job, but he was the only one. Hopefully when Harris comes back, we'll start getting more of them.
That being said, Dirk really stepped up and pulled this one out.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:46 PM   #12
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just211
I glad the Mavs won, but I don't like that way they did it. All Jumpers from Dirk. He was hot so we won, but I wish we would have more penetration, all game. I mean I know why they didn't, Lack of foul calls for Terry, abudance of foul calls on Quise, but I would have love to see more easy baskets. Jho did a good job, but he was the only one. Hopefully when Harris comes back, we'll start getting more of them.
agree 100%

The jumpers are disconcerting...but when they fall they look good. The playoff series could be real tough if they're going to rely on dirk making his jumpshots.
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 12:51 PM   #13
Mavfan + Ravenfan

Mavfan + Ravenfan is on a distinguished road

"Actually, Stack said he feels more comfortable starting because he is warmed up from the shootaround."

I believe stack did say that but stack says alot of things. I heard him it say it after a game sometime in late febuary or early march. He started the first half of the game and had 3 points. Then avery started quis in the 2nd half and brought stack off the bench and stack finished with 21 points. After the game he said that the he asked avery not to start him the second half and to bring him off the bench. And that he felt more comfortable being the spark off the bench.

I'm not saying he didn't say what you say he said, but thats what I heard him say after the game.
When we was eight, we went to Bat Day to see the Yanks
In Sixty-Nine, his father and mines, they robbed banks
He pointed to the charm on his neck
With his last bit of energy left, told me rock it with respect
I opened it, seen the god holdin his kids
Photogenic, tears just burst out my wig

AKA-wu banga at db.com
AKA-mavsravensfanatic at scout.com

Last edited by Mavfan + Ravenfan; 04-08-2006 at 12:54 PM.
Mavfan + Ravenfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 12:53 PM   #14
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
We beat them in points in the paint 36-28. Dirk made some tought shots but those are part of his repertoire. If anybody was living by the jump shot it was the Spurs who were 10-20 from deep...we were 3-7.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:49 PM   #15
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk is without question the leagues MVP
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 02:04 PM   #16
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

Duncan could never guard Dirk...but Dirk was not confident enough to take it to him. Last nite Dirk just looked so much better and more oconfident and just killed Duncan and i think that proves that Dirk has passed Duncan and is now IMO a better player.

Also another thing that was shown last nite was how Howard ans Dirk complement each other. And whn they are both on their game Mave are unstoppble.

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 02:48 PM   #17
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh.s
agree 100%

The jumpers are disconcerting...but when they fall they look good. The playoff series could be real tough if they're going to rely on dirk making his jumpshots.
I think you're both nuts. Dirk is primarily a jumpshooter, always has been, and always will be. If you're saying you'd like him to get to the free throw line a little more, maybe you're right, but that last sentence about having to rely on Dirk making jumpshots is just silly. That's like saying "If we have to rely on Larry Bird making his shots, we're in trouble."

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 04-08-2006 at 02:49 PM.
Old 04-08-2006, 03:45 PM   #18
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

It's not like it's a rarity for Dirk to score 30, so this wasn't an anomaly.
Old 04-08-2006, 05:12 PM   #19
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

I think we played a great game. I was impressed at our defense, but I agree the lack of penatration and rebounding in the first half are concerns.

I think the lack of pentatration will change as soon as we get Devin back. He's supposed to be back in a week.
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 06:07 PM   #20
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

i wasnt able to watch this game, and yes i know it was like one of the biggest games of the year. Plus we won, anyway i did however see the score after the game was over and i was very very happy. I started doing the robot.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 06:21 PM   #21
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:

I also agree. Another thing I didn't like was yea we beat them by 6 but they shot 37% from the field. I just hope the Mavs know that's not going to happen in a 7 game series so try to limit the Spurs to least amount of rebounds as possible becuase if they're not hitting and they're getting their own offensive rebound back that can come back to bite you in the ass. It just wasn't much of aggressiveness out there in the paint and I doubt it was because of Oberto. He looks raw but he was looking like Ben Wallace. All and all without Devin I say it was a good win. Things can only go up from here without having Devin in this game. Is Devin even coming back this season?
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 06:45 PM   #22
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Mavs don't have 3 of their top 8 players while the Spurs miss 1... Spurs were at home with a day's break (before this game, they were 30-2 at home with a day or more rest!)... Spurs were coming off a loss (eliminating any excuse of complacency!)... Spurs were favored to win by 5.5 and we get a 6pt win quite comfortably and some of us still have concerns?! I don't get it.

This was simply a super win helped by a great MVP performance by Dirk... on National TV... against our archrivals and reigning champions... on their homecourt... in a game that admittedly means so much for both teams!! Can't get much better for me!

Last edited by V2M; 04-08-2006 at 06:48 PM.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 10:35 PM   #23
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Ginobli was kicked 3 times (1-thigh/2-shin) during the game last night and will be out for tomorrow's game against Memphis. I'm not sure if he's expected to miss more time or not. Pop only mentioned tomorrow's game.

Of course the Spurs are 3-0 against Memphis this year but we can hope right?
Old 04-08-2006, 10:41 PM   #24
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

They've all been tough games so yea, we can definitely hope.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:41 PM   #25
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

Do the mavs really want the 1 seed?

The kings are a much tougher matchup for the spurs than the clippers. They will destroy the clippers in 4 or 5 games -- clips are just too inconsistent. The spurs will cruise into round 2 well rested and the mavs will have to go through a grueling 6 or 7 game series against the Kings.

Now, if the lakers drop to 8...get that 1 seed by all means.
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 12:01 AM   #26
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Why wouldn't you want to play a poor defensive and rebounding team in the first round? Sacramento's weakness plays into our hands. We throw up a shot and if it doesn't go in Damp and Diop just push Brad Miller out of the way and we throw up another shot. The Clippers would be a much tougher matchup.
Old 04-09-2006, 12:07 AM   #27
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Yes.
Old 04-09-2006, 12:39 AM   #28
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

The kings are a much tougher matchup for the spurs than the clippers. They will destroy the clippers in 4 or 5 games -- clips are just too inconsistent. The spurs will cruise into round 2 well rested and the mavs will have to go through a grueling 6 or 7 game series against the Kings.

Now, if the lakers drop to 8...get that 1 seed by all means.
You don't move in and out of the #1 seed because of who you might play in the first round. You want the #1 seed primarily because you'll have home court against the Spurs...
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 12:41 AM   #29
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
We beat them in points in the paint 36-28. Dirk made some tought shots but those are part of his repertoire. If anybody was living by the jump shot it was the Spurs who were 10-20 from deep...we were 3-7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thespiralgoeson
I think you're both nuts. Dirk is primarily a jumpshooter, always has been, and always will be. If you're saying you'd like him to get to the free throw line a little more, maybe you're right, but that last sentence about having to rely on Dirk making jumpshots is just silly. That's like saying "If we have to rely on Larry Bird making his shots, we're in trouble."
That's what I'm saying. Dallas won because the SPURS shot poorly down the stretch, and DIRK lit it up down the stretch. We can't rely on that in a 7 game series.
Also I'm not saying Dirk needed to penetrate more, thats his game. But there was too much "give the ball to Dirk and watch him drain contested J's"
It works when he's on, but if he's not Dallas looks terrible. I just want to see some easy baskets, or trips to the FT line. WE need to put pressure on them, not more pressure on Dirk.
Old 04-09-2006, 12:43 AM   #30
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That's what I'm saying. Dallas won because the SPURS shot poorly down the stretch, and DIRK lit it up down the stretch. We can't rely on that in a 7 game series.
Also I'm not saying Dirk needed to penetrate more, thats his game. But there was too much "give the ball to Dirk and watch him drain contested J's"
It works when he's on, but if he's not Dallas looks terrible. I just want to see some easy baskets, or trips to the FT line. WE need to put pressure on them, not more pressure on Dirk.
It's always so weird to me. The spurs shoot badly but it's not because of the mavs defense. The mavs shoot great and it's not because of the LACK of the spurs defense.

It's silly..It seems pretty dang obvious to me that these teams are neck-and-neck to each other. The spurs seem to basically live and die by the 3-ball and parkers' penetration. They sure don't live by duncan scoring 30 or so.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 10:32 AM   #31
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

We outscored them 83 to 56 inside the 3pt line. Someone was living by the jumper but it wasnt the mavs.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:59 AM   #32
Just211
Platinum Member

you guys are misunderstanding me. BOTH teams were living by the J, and playing tough D, but if the game goes that way everytime, it's not a good thing for Dallas in a series. WE were relying on one guy to hit a lot of hard shots, and he did, but we've seen it go the other way almost everytime. The games we dominate the Spurs or Pistons is when JHO , Quise and Devin attack all night. When they don't, the games are close down the stretch, and even though we are now a good Defensice team, they are better ,especially in the clutch. We are just not at the level yet.
Old 04-09-2006, 12:13 PM   #33
Five-ofan
Guru

Yes we relied on dirk to hit jumpers but he does that every game and i dont know where you are getting the idea that it goes the other way almost everytime. The majority of his shots are jumpers and he is shooting 48% which means that yes he does usually make them.
Old 04-09-2006, 12:42 PM   #34
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
Yes we relied on dirk to hit jumpers but he does that every game and i dont know where you are getting the idea that it goes the other way almost everytime. The majority of his shots are jumpers and he is shooting 48% which means that yes he does usually make them.
What exactly IS a shot that is not a jumper? Is a 5-footer a jumper? 7-8? There are point blank dunks and layups?
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 03:39 PM   #35
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

I still don't understand what the hell you people are saying. Has Dirk or the Mavericks for that matter ever won a game differently than they did on Friday? It looked just like Mavericks basketball to me. What other way is there for these Mavericks to win a game?
Old 04-09-2006, 10:45 PM   #36
Just211
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
by almost everytime, I meant against the Spurs and Pistons in close games. And not his shot, I meant winning and losing
Old 04-09-2006, 10:51 PM   #37
Just211
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson
I still don't understand what the hell you people are saying. Has Dirk or the Mavericks for that matter ever won a game differently than they did on Friday? It looked just like Mavericks basketball to me. What other way is there for these Mavericks to win a game?
Exactly, the "Maverick " way never cuts it in the playoffs. Every other top teir team gets to the basket, or FT line. Dallas always ends up relying on a jumper. Which is harder to succeed. I'm not saying we suck, or we can't do it this way, I'm saying it will take a HOT Dirk all post season to do it this way. And every year the Mavs eventually go cold, and make the exit. I'd like to see this team have the awareness to attack all the time. They've done it in spurts this year, and we roll over anyone when it happens.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:57 PM   #38
Five-ofan
Guru

Default Well

Just211, the pistons shoot more jumpers than the mavs.
Chauncey-jumpshooter
Rip-jumpshooter
Prince-jumpshooter
Sheed- Jumpshooter who isnt close to as good at it as dirk is.
Ben-his offense is roughly the same as diops

The mavs are fine. You need to take a prozac and just enjoy the ride. For all of Duncans posting he hasnt been anywhere near as good against the mavs as dirk has against the spurs. (though honestly he isnt as much of a post offensive player as people think he is.) I mean seriously everyone in the nba relies on jumpers. The heat probably rely on them the least just because they cant shoot them. They will also lose in the second round so take that for what its worth.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:20 PM   #39
Just211
Platinum Member

oh trust me I'm enjoying it. I just worry about games where it all comes down to Dirk making shots with 2 or 3 guys on him. not just Jumpers in general.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:34 PM   #40
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk doesn't have to take shots with 2-3 guys on him. Terry has hit plenty of clutch shots. If dirk's doubled/tripled, obviously someone else is open. Howard would likely have an opening to the rim if Dirk has multiple defenders on him.

Why would Dirk have to make shots with 2-3 guys on him? The Spurs went away from using Bowen on Dirk and then bringing the double because Dirk was making them pay with his passing and because Howard was then given a free lane to the rim.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote