Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-08-2006, 03:20 PM   #1
TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 will become famous soon enoughTwoDeep3 will become famous soon enough
Default Now For Something Completely Different

Impressive win last night. When on, this team can play with the Spurs. One has to wonder if the Spurs were having an off night shooting. Or the Mavs were defending in a way to cause the poor shooting night.

Oberto's rebounds were more fortunate bounces at times. If I were the Spurs, I wouldn't count on this player carrying the rebound load in a series.

But what concerns me, and this is nothing new, is Dirk's insistence on jump shots versus driving to the basket. When he is on, he is a thing of beauty. The guy rains jumpers that barely make a ripple in the net.

But the first half showed what happens when he is off.

While not the most fluid player in the league, he still has the ability to create around the basket. If he would just do this.

I've read here that some think he needs to develope this. I wonder if he has arrived at what he is and there will be no next tier? Maybe this is all he will ever be.

That ain't shabby.

But when his jumpers are clanging off iron, I would be a lot more comfortable if he would work the low post and get some easy baskets until the jumper falls again.

Otherwise, that was a great game.

I'm still concerned about a Spur's team with a full compliment. But then Dallas had players missing.

I don't like to put much stock in injuries. That is usually the excuse of the team that loses.

So we'll see.

But I still maintain having home court is essential. It's down to the short hairs now.

Can Dallas win out and keep the pressure on the Spurs?

It will be a tough game in Phoenix. And relying on the tie with the Spurs is iffy at best. They beat Memphis and Houston, the tie becomes moot.

But last night was an indication this team has a shot in my eyes. We'll see how they stack up against Phoenix next Thursday.

Dallas must win out to have a chance.

After so many games, this is really when the season starts.
Old 04-08-2006, 03:27 PM   #2
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Welcome, glad to have you on board.
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 06:20 PM   #3
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

Thanks for stopping by.

Your posting style still sucks.

You are still a troll.

I'm sure we will see you if they lose next week.

Bye.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 06:26 PM   #4
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Don't see what's wrong with what he's saying. Mavs do need homecourt and if Dirk is going to have a smaller guy on him he shouldn't rely on a fadeaway J to beat him. But if its following its all a mute point. I do think had Dirk's jumper not been falling in the 2nd half he would've started to work inside more.

Another thing I saw last night is that I think I may have underestimated Dirk's speed. That guy is beating Bruce Bowen off of the dribble. There was a play where Dirk pumped fake took about 2 dribbles with his left and pump faked about two times than hit the bucket straight in Bowen's face.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 06:48 PM   #5
TwoDeep3

DTown - some here think if you are not completely sold on this team and winning a championship is a foregone conclusion, then you must be a troll.

Up until this game with SA, I have been skeptical.

I am still not completely on board, because I think there are still issues.

How quickly will Harris get back to form and meld with the club?

How fast will the team get back to the form we saw when they bwere almost unbeatable?

Those issues are concerns in my mind.

But expressing them here seems to aggravate some.

Why?

Who the hell knows.
Old 04-08-2006, 06:55 PM   #6
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

I was wondering why you started a new thread,

Then I remembered.

You need

the

extra

space.

Last edited by capitalcity; 04-08-2006 at 06:58 PM.
capitalcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 07:25 PM   #7
TwoDeep3

So starting a thread is verboten? I have never understood the anxiety generated here when threads are started and people rush to chatise the poster.

But to answer your question.

My position has changed somewhat on the outcome of this season. Thought that was worth noting.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:50 PM   #8
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoDeep3
DTown - some here think if you are not completely sold on this team and winning a championship is a foregone conclusion, then you must be a troll.

Up until this game with SA, I have been skeptical.

I am still not completely on board, because I think there are still issues.

How quickly will Harris get back to form and meld with the club?

How fast will the team get back to the form we saw when they bwere almost unbeatable?

Those issues are concerns in my mind.

But expressing them here seems to aggravate some.

Why?

Who the hell knows.

I'm sort of in the same boat you're in. I'm not going to go overboad and say this team is going to cakewalk through the playoffs because I still think even our first round matchup is nothing to sleep on if we face the Clipps. The last two games though even though we lost the previous matchup it sort of led me to believe that this team can compete with the Spurs. But the Mavs are going into the right direction. They're going upward rather than downward which is what I saw this team doing a couple of games ago.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:50 PM   #9
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, but the boat that TwoDeep is in is the one that had the Mavs sunk before the season started...and claimed that they were destined to fail after losses to San Antonio and Phoenix.

Trust me, you don't want to be in the same boat as TwoDeep. Claiming that doesn't say much for you. I know that you're saying that you're in the same boat simply because you're not aware of what the guy has posted in the past.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 11:10 PM   #10
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

i'll save all you guys a seat in hell
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 11:36 PM   #11
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I really loved that San Antonio win. But I'm afraid it told me more about San Antonio than it did about the Mavs. I am convinced that San Antonio is on their last legs. I have not the slightest doubt that the Mavs can, and probably will, beat the Spurs in a series. At this point I'm not sure the Spurs can make it that far.

My concerns with the Mavs have to do with Phoenix and to a greater extent Detroit. Frankly, I'm not sure that Johnson can hold his own against D'Antoni. Probably he can, but I have a nagging doubt. About the Pistons, I keep remembering those last five minutes when we played them a couple weeks back. What a game that was! Best of the season, I'm sure. But Detroit looked pretty methodical in pulling away down the stretch.

That's what worries me. The Spurs don't worry me.

And what worries me even less than that is how many shots Dirk takes inside versus outside. To be blunt, every three-point shot Dirk ever takes is a good value. He's not passing up better value by taking that shot. He's not taking the easy way out. When Dirk shoots threes, it's a terrific team for the team.

And I also don't know that there is a such thing as a Dirk Nowitzki "fadeaway." As tall as he is, he doesn't need to fade away. What that is is a turnaround jumper. And it's deadly. It's deadlier than Rasheed's. It's certainly deadlier than Dirk's drive to the basket, if we want to be honest about it. You talk about the rare times that Dirk's shot is "off." Well, it's rarer still for him to find the kind of groove that has him scoring inside at will or getting calls if he doesn't.

Simply put, Dirk's highest percentage stuff is the turnaround jumper and the three. Why should anyone worry that he goes to much to his bread and butter? They can't defend those shots, but they can certainly defend him closer to the basket.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 12:20 AM   #12
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
My concerns with the Mavs have to do with Phoenix and to a greater extent Detroit. Frankly, I'm not sure that Johnson can hold his own against D'Antoni. Probably he can, but I have a nagging doubt. About the Pistons, I keep remembering those last five minutes when we played them a couple weeks back. What a game that was! Best of the season, I'm sure. But Detroit looked pretty methodical in pulling away down the stretch.
You worry too much. I agree that San Antonio is fading, but no friggin way does AJ/D'Antoni concern me even in the slightest. Even IF D'antoni outcoaches Avery (which I seriously doubt will happen), do you think that will be enough to give the Suns any kind of a chance to beat the Mavs in a seven game series? It sure wasn't enough for Van Gundy and the Rockets last year. Of course, this is just me, but the current Suns team doesn't pose nearly as much a threat to the Mavs as the Rox did last year IMO.

Quote:
And what worries me even less than that is how many shots Dirk takes inside versus outside. To be blunt, every three-point shot Dirk ever takes is a good value. He's not passing up better value by taking that shot. He's not taking the easy way out. When Dirk shoots threes, it's a terrific team for the team.

And I also don't know that there is a such thing as a Dirk Nowitzki "fadeaway." As tall as he is, he doesn't need to fade away. What that is is a turnaround jumper. And it's deadly. It's deadlier than Rasheed's. It's certainly deadlier than Dirk's drive to the basket, if we want to be honest about it. You talk about the rare times that Dirk's shot is "off." Well, it's rarer still for him to find the kind of groove that has him scoring inside at will or getting calls if he doesn't.

Simply put, Dirk's highest percentage stuff is the turnaround jumper and the three. Why should anyone worry that he goes to much to his bread and butter? They can't defend those shots, but they can certainly defend him closer to the basket.
Couldn't agree more. I don't know what the hell all this crap is about Dirk taking too many jump shots. I mean, have these people never seen him play???

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 04-09-2006 at 12:26 AM.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 12:23 AM   #13
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I would pick the Mavs (with Harris, Griffin, and Howard all remotely healthy) over both the Suns and the Pistons. The Mavs have shown me alot against Detroit. I think they matchup quite favorably against them. They have for the past several years. The biggest stumbling block for the Mavs has been and remains the Spurs. And this year, I like the Mavs chances.

Yeah, Detroit looked better than the Mavs down the stretch, but I also remember Detroit shooting a ridiculous percentage from beyond the arc thoughout most of the game.. a couple of them were just ridiculous from Rasheed. That game did absolutely nothing to make me think that Detroit was the better team considering the Mavs were without 4 of their rotation players. Actually, it reinforced the opinion that I already had. The Piston's don't match up well with the Mavs.

As for the Suns... I just don't see how that team can beat the Mavs in a 7 game series without Amare. I don't even know for sure if they make it to the WCF's even with a decidedly weaker route to that point.

Last edited by Murphy3; 04-09-2006 at 12:24 AM.
Old 04-09-2006, 12:44 AM   #14
Day1MavsFan

Day1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really nice

Seems like some folks posting in this thread didn't watch Dirk in last year's playoffs.
Day1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 12:54 AM   #15
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I'm not saying the Suns scare me, in the sense that I think we'd be lucky to beat them. I just think to myself: if the Mavs don't make it to and through the Finals this year, what will be the reason why? If I am assuming full health, it's got to be down to one of two things: someone was better, or someone played better.

With the Mavs at full health, I don't think anyone is better. But Phoenix worries me because D'Antoni mucks up the game. He changes it into something you aren't used to. He insists that the contest be played on his terms. And I'm just not sure that Johnson is comfortable in that setting yet.

But still and all, as I said, that's a much lesser concern than Detroit. Murph, you are right, now that I think about it, that Detroit was hitting at an unreal clip in order to keep that game close. I don't have any fully formed opinions yet on how the Mavs match up with the Pistons, because I haven't seen them play each other enough. You may well be right, though.

Obviously without Amare the Suns are a different team, and for that matter even with Amare they would be a different team than they were last year. But they do still have Nash and Marion, and for that reason I'm inclined to remember last year's meeting and still worry somewhat--at least more than I worry about the Spurs.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:02 AM   #16
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

I agree completely that the spurs are on their last leg... look at them. They are old, and Duncan is slowly but surely becoming less and less a threat. We have the youth advantage and I honestly dont think these guys can keep up with us. Sure they have Manu and Parker and we have the defenders to deal with them but everyone else? Easy pickings for a fast tempo game. We saw Howard go to work on Duncan, I feel thats just the beginning and next season we will have a lock for a top three seed at the very least.

PHX doesnt worry me at all... we can play their own game and win (and lose) but we would win the series overall, no questions asked.

Detroit we blew out by like 37 points the first encounter... then lost the last one a few weeks ago, they are the biggest threat but I think we could beat them, we just have too many guys for the five of them to deal with, as soon as we figure out what works on who they wouldnt have an alternative to our strategy.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 02:16 AM   #17
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
All i'm saying is in the playoffs that fadeaway or turnaround J isn't going to be as reliable as it is in the regular season therefore i'd prefer him mixing in a little bit of inside and out. If its falling than fine. But falling in love with the jumper can come back to bite you in the ass. I hope Terry as well doesn't fall in love with his jumper either because he's shown he can get to the rack if needed.

If we face the Suns in the postseason its going to be a very interesting matchup. Are we going to play into their hands or are we going to play our game? Its up to AJ. I think we can run with them but our best chances to beat them is to play our game and not fall into their run and gun style of play. From the little i've seen of the Suns this season it seems when they get into a halfcourt game is when things start to fall a part.

Its hard to call the Spurs. Duncan looks like crap and it seems like Ginobilli can't stay off the floor. Parker hasn't been playing well as of late but I think its safe to say he's going to be on his game so its important Devin or JET keep him in check because he is capable of driving to the hole at will to weak perimeter defenders. Spurs still scare me a bit even with Duncan on one leg but if Ginobilli and Parker aren't going to be showing up than the series should end in 5 or 6 games.

I'm a fan of the Pistons. If for whatever reason the Mavs don't make it to the Finals i'm cheering for the Pistons to take it. But as a Mavs fan I don't know maybe I haven't seen enough of them but without that dominant #1 guy I just don't fear the Pistons. Don't get me wrong they may be the best team in the league and probably could take the title again this year but with all the battles they've fought this year at some point its going to take a toll on their bodies and if not the 1st round I think we may see a Pistons team feel a bit fatigued in the 2nd and 3rd rounds of the post season.
Old 04-09-2006, 03:34 AM   #18
TwoDeep3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
Yeah, but the boat that TwoDeep is in is the one that had the Mavs sunk before the season started...and claimed that they were destined to fail after losses to San Antonio and Phoenix.

Trust me, you don't want to be in the same boat as TwoDeep. Claiming that doesn't say much for you. I know that you're saying that you're in the same boat simply because you're not aware of what the guy has posted in the past.
Perhaps it would be best if you let me speak for me. Since you have yet to get what I think right.

And please don't suggest I had the Mavs sunk before the season started. You know good and well you can't back that up.

The facts are simple.

I have yet to see this team, or any Mavs team of recent note beat the Spurs or Suns and go to the finals.

Until that time, I rein my enthusiasm.

Unlike you Murphy, who thinks the solution to every problem is just give Dirk the ball every time they come down the court.

After seven years of playing in this league, I think we are seeing all we will ever see out of his low post game.

And at seven foot, what he has shown isn't enough in that area.

Can he shoot lights out at times.

Yes.

But when he isn't hitting his jumper, he does not fix it by moving close to the basket and ripping the other team a new ass.

And like DTown, I am concerned that in the play-offs, where the points are precious and harder to come by. If his J isn't falling, the team will struggle.

Not exactly what you make my position out to be.

But keep swinging, buttercup.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:51 AM   #19
Murphy3
Guru

We've heard enough of you speaking for yourself.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:54 AM   #20
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest
All i'm saying is in the playoffs that fadeaway or turnaround J isn't going to be as reliable as it is in the regular season therefore i'd prefer him mixing in a little bit of inside and out. If its falling than fine. But falling in love with the jumper can come back to bite you in the ass. I hope Terry as well doesn't fall in love with his jumper either because he's shown he can get to the rack if needed.

If we face the Suns in the postseason its going to be a very interesting matchup. Are we going to play into their hands or are we going to play our game? Its up to AJ. I think we can run with them but our best chances to beat them is to play our game and not fall into their run and gun style of play. From the little i've seen of the Suns this season it seems when they get into a halfcourt game is when things start to fall a part.

Its hard to call the Spurs. Duncan looks like crap and it seems like Ginobilli can't stay off the floor. Parker hasn't been playing well as of late but I think its safe to say he's going to be on his game so its important Devin or JET keep him in check because he is capable of driving to the hole at will to weak perimeter defenders. Spurs still scare me a bit even with Duncan on one leg but if Ginobilli and Parker aren't going to be showing up than the series should end in 5 or 6 games.

I'm a fan of the Pistons. If for whatever reason the Mavs don't make it to the Finals i'm cheering for the Pistons to take it. But as a Mavs fan I don't know maybe I haven't seen enough of them but without that dominant #1 guy I just don't fear the Pistons. Don't get me wrong they may be the best team in the league and probably could take the title again this year but with all the battles they've fought this year at some point its going to take a toll on their bodies and if not the 1st round I think we may see a Pistons team feel a bit fatigued in the 2nd and 3rd rounds of the post season.
Against the Suns, Dirk will post up more. He didn't post up much against the Spurs because of the double team. If he goes down low, he's instantly double teamed. If he can get good looks without going low and getting doubled, then why go low if you're hitting from outside?

The Suns don't have any help side shot blockers. He can go down low and get doubled AND still get a good shotoff. You have to understand what the defense is doing AND understand the capabilities of the players that they have on the court.

If you force the Spurs to double a little further from the bucket, you often free up a cutter to attack the rim. If you force the Spurs to double down low with Duncan, the open many is a little more likely to be Diop or Dampier (neither of which scare anyone offensively)
Old 04-09-2006, 11:07 AM   #21
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk takes like a zillion shots from that elbow. All during warm-up, I would imagine he takes hundreds a day. It's as automatic as anything in sports. Only when he's rushing himself or having to fadeaway because of superb defense is that not a good shot, more than a good shot an excellent shot. It's easily as good as any shot in basketball that isn't a skyhook or a shaquille oneal dunk.

That being said against the sk*rts they will have two shotblockers back there and taking it into that defense is NOT a good shot.

Now if they can get dirk on the blocks against a small forward great, he'll beat the crap out of them there, but that's not what the defenses give him. If he posts down there it's going to be against a power-forward/center where they may have an advantage in strength or at least dirks isn't AT an advantage. That's not a wise strategy.

If dirk were more of a power player then that would be a wiser strategy but he's not, he's a huge shooting small forward if you want to look at it that way.

Even players who post in the low-box these days fadeaway, you don't see the pound-pound-pound the ball and dunk unless it's shaq, the game has changed.

Duncan lived on the ~12 foot banker for the last 10 years, he and hardly anyone else can power the ball over damp for example.

Teams are made up of many different players. The sk*rts now seem to live and die off tony parker's penetration and 3pt shooting it seems. The pistons live off the jump shot(just like dirks), no power game there.

The mavs have dirk who can score against ANY-ONE-PLAYER all day long and with Josh forcing Timmah to play some defense you saw a difference in the sk*rts.

So we can wail and gnash our teeth about the lack of shaquille or Jabbar or Olajuan...but so what, none of our top competitors have those guys either and don't play that way.

The NBA game is becoming even more of a penetrating, jumpshot, slashing league. With the ability to play off you man, you just can't have a guy pound-pound-pound it anymore and live off that..IMO..
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 02:56 PM   #22
TwoDeep3

Quote:
We've heard enough of you speaking for yourself.
So you now speak for everyone here.

This is the exact hubris that makes me laugh at you and all your musings on basketball.

Now opnce again tell everyone that you think you know as much as the head coach.

That always tweaked your nose out of joint when I mentioned you are merely a messageboard know-it-all.
Old 04-09-2006, 03:01 PM   #23
TwoDeep3

Quote:
The Suns don't have any help side shot blockers.
Oh my gosh Murphy. You are Bob Ortegal.

No, they have Marion, who conventionally bugs the crap out of Dirk.

Quote:
He can go down low and get doubled AND still get a good shotoff. You have to understand what the defense is doing AND understand the capabilities of the players that they have on the court.
Thank you Coach Barcalounger.
Old 04-09-2006, 03:19 PM   #24
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of

Quote:
So you now speak for everyone here.
For me at least...

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 03:23 PM   #25
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of

Quote:
No, they have Marion, who conventionally bugs the crap out of Dirk.
Yeah right, he bugs the the crap out of Dirk...

Is that why Dirk averages 27.3 PPG on 50%-FG and 44.4%-3pt shooting, 12.3 RPG, 3.7 APG and 2 BPG this season against the Suns?

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto
Old 04-09-2006, 03:26 PM   #26
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future
Thumbs down

Quote:
But keep swinging, buttercup.
Quote:
That always tweaked your nose out of joint when I mentioned you are merely a messageboard know-it-all.
Quote:
Oh my gosh Murphy. You are Bob Ortegal.

Thank you Coach Barcalounger.
Quote:
The usual rebuttal on this site is to ridicule the poster and not address the content.

*cough*
Old 04-09-2006, 03:43 PM   #27
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day1MavsFan
Seems like some folks posting in this thread didn't watch Dirk in last year's playoffs.
And it seems like the other folks posting in this thread never saw him in the playoffs before last year.

I honestly believe Dirk's struggles against Houston had a lot more to do with a severe case of bronchitis than with Dirk relying too much on his jumpshot. Actually, if anything, I thought he wasn't shooting enough.
Old 04-09-2006, 04:00 PM   #28
TwoDeep3

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedays
*cough*
Orange, there is a history here between Smurphy and me.

Just get out the popcorn and enjoy the show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne
For me at least...
And you are significant in this discussion exactly how?
Old 04-09-2006, 04:10 PM   #29
Arne
Golden Member

Quote:
And you are significant in this discussion exactly how?
I owned you after you claimed that Marion bugs the scrap out of Dirk...

Old 04-09-2006, 04:13 PM   #30
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

I think Dirk will be fine.

I think last year's struggles were in fact due to Dirk missing a PG who could dish him easy baskets. It was his first, and thus far, only post-season without Nash after all. Could mean something. However, while not a lot has changed this year as far as passing goes, I think Dirk has learned how to play against the smaller, quicker defenders better. He can still beat the bigger, slower guys. So all in all, Dirk needs a pass-first PG less as he's played more and more without one. That said, I imagine MD and DH will play bigger roles this summer then last.

Also, more importantly, it's in the defense. Last year, we were just defensively improved. This year, I think we depend on our defense as much, if not more, then offense. Big difference. Plus, our defense is far superior (+Diop, +Griffin, -Finley).

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 04:31 PM   #31
TwoDeep3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne
I owned you after you claimed that Marion bugs the scrap out of Dirk...
Sorry Charlie, but you didn't own squat.

It is pretty common knowledge that Marion harasses Dirk, and plays better defense against him than most NBA players.

That may have gone unnoticed by you. I can't speak to your awareness of this issue.

But your stats are meaningless when we only need to look to last year's play-offs against the Suns to see how Marion handled the Uberkind.

I also don't put a lot of stock in stats that are not W's and L's.

That is the only stat which has significance. Especially in the play-offs.

Did you win the game?

Did you win the series?

Did you win your division?

Did you win the title?

Those are the only stats that matter.

It don't mean a thing if you didn't get the ring.
Old 04-09-2006, 04:39 PM   #32
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Sorry Charlie, but you didn't own squat.

It is pretty common knowledge that Marion harasses Dirk, and plays better defense against him than most NBA players.

That may have gone unnoticed by you. I can't speak to your awareness of this issue.

But your stats are meaningless when we only need to look to last year's play-offs against the Suns to see how Marion handled the Uberkind.
Sorry, but I'm afraid you were thoroughly owned by Arne in this one. Marion hasn't given Dirk any problems since the regular season last year. Dirk didn't have any kind of problems with him in the 2nd round, and has had even less trouble with him this season.

Quote:
I also don't put a lot of stock in stats that are not W's and L's.

That is the only stat which has significance. Especially in the play-offs.

Did you win the game?

Did you win the series?

Did you win your division?

Did you win the title?

Those are the only stats that matter.

It don't mean a thing if you didn't get the ring.
This kind of simplistic bullshit is the reason I hate most sports fans.
Old 04-09-2006, 04:46 PM   #33
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

It's really uninformed to say that Marion gives Dirk trouble.

You got pwned.

To those that watch the games, it's painfully obvious that there is NO defender in the league that can stop Dirk by himself. Not Artest, not Bowen, not Marion. No one. Certain TEAMS have good enough defensive personnel and schemes to cause Dirk problems at times, but even those teams have to use multiple defenders and a team scheme designed to slow Dirk down. And even then, those schemes can be beaten, as the Mavs demonstrated Friday night with their patient and efficient annihilation of the Spurs defense.

I'm not saying that I know for sure that the Mavs WILL win the title this year. Only that they can.
Old 04-09-2006, 05:05 PM   #34
TwoDeep3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran
It's really uninformed to say that Marion gives Dirk trouble.

You got pwned.

To those that watch the games, it's painfully obvious that there is NO defender in the league that can stop Dirk by himself. Not Artest, not Bowen, not Marion. No one. Certain TEAMS have good enough defensive personnel and schemes to cause Dirk problems at times, but even those teams have to use multiple defenders and a team scheme designed to slow Dirk down. And even then, those schemes can be beaten, as the Mavs demonstrated Friday night with their patient and efficient annihilation of the Spurs defense.

I'm not saying that I know for sure that the Mavs WILL win the title this year. Only that they can.
Sorry, I'm not buying it. Show me in the play-offs, when everything is on the line.

Otherwise, this is purely a internet pissing contest.

They get to the finals by dispatching the Spurs ansd Suns, I'll believe.

Until then, I resevre the right to be skeptical. And no stats have any bearing on this but a title.

Quote:
This kind of simplistic bullshit is the reason I hate most sports fans.
1. Hate is a pretty strong emotion for what someone else thinks.

2. Show me. I have followed this team since day one. I have exhausted too many seasons believing in something that fizzled at the end.

Show me. Simple as that.

Win it all or walk.

I think the expression goes, losers walk the field.

I'd like to see the other guys step off for a while.

That is a realistic goal and not too much to ask.

Simplistic. Yes.

But very realistic.

Show me.

Last edited by TwoDeep3; 04-09-2006 at 05:14 PM.
TwoDeep3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 05:10 PM   #35
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

I

hate

the

way

you

Old 04-09-2006, 05:16 PM   #36
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:
I was here in Feb, during the streak stating I was worried about the way this team always seems to run out of gas when home court is on the line.

Home court is history. And this team better start to find solutions or the second round exit may end up being the first round exit.
In the month of April, the Mavs have beaten their opponents by:

24 pts, 26 pts, 6 pts (oops hiccup), and 24 pts.

We convincingly beat the Spurs and have an average margin of victory of 20 pts. Two weeks after you made the above post, we are 1/2 game behind the Spurs for top seed in the West.

Is that answer enough for you?

I'm glad you're starting to change your mind about the Mavs. But Good God man cool it with the doom and gloom.
Old 04-09-2006, 06:02 PM   #37
TwoDeep3

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedays
In the month of April, the Mavs have beaten their opponents by:

24 pts, 26 pts, 6 pts (oops hiccup), and 24 pts.

We convincingly beat the Spurs and have an average margin of victory of 20 pts. Two weeks after you made the above post, we are 1/2 game behind the Spurs for top seed in the West.

Is that answer enough for you?

I'm glad you're starting to change your mind about the Mavs. But Good God man cool it with the doom and gloom.
No, it is not enough.

Win the West.

You haven't done that in ages.

Then win the entire NBA championship.

That will be enough.

Nothing less will do.

This is not foom and gloom. This is now a fan since day one saying close no longer counts.

Win it.

Nes Pax?
Old 04-09-2006, 06:02 PM   #38
TwoDeep3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson
I

hate

the

way

you

Old 04-09-2006, 06:08 PM   #39
chumdawg
Guru

N'est-ce pas?
Old 04-09-2006, 06:08 PM   #40
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Then bite my shiney metal ass.
Doesn't look so shiney to me.