Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-09-2006, 07:02 PM   #41
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoDeep3
No, it is not enough.

Win the West.

You haven't done that in ages.

Then win the entire NBA championship.

That will be enough.

Nothing less will do.

This is not foom and gloom. This is now a fan since day one saying close no longer counts.

Win it.

Nes Pax?

Well get prepared to be dissappointed most of your life. Winning championships are hard, most don't.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2006, 07:16 PM   #42
TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 will become famous soon enoughTwoDeep3 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
Well get prepared to be dissappointed most of your life. Winning championships are hard, most don't.
I am enjoying this season. I have enjoyed the past seasons.

My position is that I will not dream of titles until I see one.

I can enjoy the games.

But I am not so easily duped into thinking the latest version of the Mavs is a champion because they have had the most successful season to date.

That also assumes they will surpass their previous season high in a few games.

What is perceived as doom and gloom is merely the posture that I want to see it happen rather than make bold comments from what I am seeing in the regular season, only to find then ousted in the play-offs.

Each year we are treated to a regular season of thrills.

The implied promise is this will lead to a title.

I'm waiting Mr. Cuban.

Last edited by TwoDeep3; 04-09-2006 at 07:16 PM.
TwoDeep3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 07:18 PM   #43
TwoDeep3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
N'est-ce pas?
Chum...I wish you'd help me with my English spelling, as well. I struggle with that and could use an editor.
Old 04-09-2006, 07:41 PM   #44
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

As I said, prepare to be dissappointed most of your life.

The best you can do is compete at a very high level with the best plan that you can lay out to win it all. After that it's heart, guts, desire and luck. This years team is unlike any mavs team you have ever seen in recent memory, certainly unlike any that I've ever seen since the 02-03 season.

There is a reason that, the 60 win team was playing for the championship that year, it was because winning 60 games is hard budda'. This year's team is right there and will be competing (imo) for the WCF when they meet the spurs in the second round. In other words just like the 02-03 WCF game was the championship game, this years second round will be the WCF game. Because that's just the way it is.

The mavs are one of the top-three teams in the league, because their record says they are. All you can really ask for as a fan (imo) is that the team compete every night and give you a chance to hope and cheer we're number 1 when all of the dust settles.

A few bounces here, there and players playing their guts out is what it will take, these mavericks have shown they are willing to do what it takes to win it all. They may or they may not, but they sure as hell are as able as any team in the league. Any..

It's your choice whether to be positive or negative about it or to have some sort of too-cool-to-fool attitude where you don't "drink the kool-aid" and make sure that if failure occurs (which it usually does) you can shrug your shoulders and say, see, toldya'. Instead of investing your hopes for a victory you can hedge it I guess, but it sure makes for a cynical fandom.

Only one team will have the ring and to compete at a damn high level is no disgrace, dissappointing, heart-breaking, sure...but not a disgrace.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 04-09-2006, 08:26 PM   #45
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Quote:
No, it is not enough.

Win the West.

You haven't done that in ages.

Then win the entire NBA championship.

That will be enough.

Nothing less will do.

This is not foom and gloom. This is now a fan since day one saying close no longer counts.

Win it.

Nes Pax?
But it's not about that with you. I've said this before and I'll say it again - you are very rarely on this board to discuss the Mavericks. You visit this board with the sole purpose of dumping on the team that you have been, "a fan (of) since day one". Do you think you would be so disliked otherwise?

Two weeks ago you were talking about how the Mavs would not be able to reintegrate Howard into the offense quickly enough and as a result the three-game losing streak was only the beginning of a meltdown. Now that that has been proven wrong - you've moved on to talking about Harris...and when he comes back it will be Griffin. Where does it stop with you? You try to be 'big picture' and talk about winning championships - and you use that as an excuse to discount what the Mavericks have accomplished in the regular season. I guarantee you that once the Mavs move past their first round opponent you will be here again talking about how, 'Dirk shot too many jump shots' or, 'it doesn't prove anything because it's not the Spurs', blah blah blah.

My previous post was addressed at your previous assertion that the Mavs would continue sliding after the Orlando loss. They did not. In fact they have been absolutely dominant in the four games following that loss. But you don't face reality and realize that your stance was wrong - in fact, all you do is change your argument and nit-pick the future instead? That's just ridiculous. What's the point in being a fan if all you're going to do is point out the flaws non-stop? And then when you run out of flaws, point to the future possibility of failure? Why make being a fan so miserable?

Tu ne captes pas?
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 08:36 PM   #46
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Chum...I wish you'd help me with my English spelling, as well. I struggle with that and could use an editor.
I wasn't sure if it was spelling or if you were using an obscure Latin phrase I hadn't seen before--which is why I asked.

Normally I would be willing to help a brother out with the English editing, but I'm pretty busy at the moment. I can give you a couple tips, though. There are a number of good reference sources for checking the spelling of English words. Many of them, such as websters.com or dictionary.com, are even readily accessible online, which is nice because it means you don't even have to get out of your chair to go to the bookshelf.

There are reference sources for other languages, too, but if you aren't a native speaker or don't at least have minimal exposure to the language, you run the risk of using phrases in the wrong manner. If this is the case, probably the best bet is to go ahead and use the English equivalent.

If you have any questions, or need further assistance, send me a PM. No promises, but I'll do what I can.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 09:36 PM   #47
Day1MavsFan

Day1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really nice

It doesn't matter who can or can't stop Dirk. Although, it's incorrect to say that Marion hasn't historically gotten the best of Dirk. Dirk made a breakthrough (finally) in last year's playoff series against the Suns, and it has carried into this season. But that's only the last year, folks.

What matters is that Dirk stops himself by shooting too many off-balance fade-aways. He might shoot thousands of shots from the elbow during warm-ups or practice. But he doesn't fade away on all of those shots like he does in the games.

Maybe you couldn't say that Brian Bowen is a Dirk-stopper, but then why is Dirk shooting contested shots over him one or two steps inside the three-point arc? Why is Dirk such a good shooter, but he doesn't shoot as well (fg%) as Parker (a guard), Brand, Kaman, KG, and most other decent big men? It comes down to shot selection and how he shoots. Which leads me to my next point...

It doesn't matter how many doom-and-gloom posts TwoDeep has made. For this thread, he's right. Dirk needs to take the ball inside more. For a seven-footer, he get's way too few layups and dunks. I don't agree that he can't find the open man if he's double-teamed in the post any less than at the elbow or three-point line. What good does it do for him to set up at the three-point line to receive the pass? That doesn't even bring a double-team ususally and it also doesn't usually bring good results either. He can work the post well enough, he just needs to get his butt in there before he gets the ball.

Avery is right. Dirk needs to do it more in order to bring a title here. Anyone who disagrees, also disagrees with the coach. Dirk is getting better, as Avery attests, saying that Dirk is a 6.5 now, versus a 2 or 3 last year. He says that Dirk needs to get to an 8 or 9.

We'll see what happens in the playoffs. However, Dirk didn't do what he needed to do against Bruce Bowen in the previous game against the Spurs. So, to me, it didn't look like he'd learned a damn thing since last year's playoffs about how to beat smaller defenders. Even in this last win against S.A., he didn't really do it either. Eleven for 24 is nothing to write home about. He did shoot from the elbow, which is better than before, but he still didn't take it to the rim enough.

If you want to disagree because of who started the thread, or how often that person has been wrong, then that's your prerogative. But that doesn't make you right (or him wrong this time).
Day1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 10:22 PM   #48
TwoDeep3

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedays
But it's not about that with you. I've said this before and I'll say it again - you are very rarely on this board to discuss the Mavericks. You visit this board with the sole purpose of dumping on the team that you have been, "a fan (of) since day one". Do you think you would be so disliked otherwise?

Two weeks ago you were talking about how the Mavs would not be able to reintegrate Howard into the offense quickly enough and as a result the three-game losing streak was only the beginning of a meltdown. Now that that has been proven wrong - you've moved on to talking about Harris...and when he comes back it will be Griffin. Where does it stop with you? You try to be 'big picture' and talk about winning championships - and you use that as an excuse to discount what the Mavericks have accomplished in the regular season. I guarantee you that once the Mavs move past their first round opponent you will be here again talking about how, 'Dirk shot too many jump shots' or, 'it doesn't prove anything because it's not the Spurs', blah blah blah.

My previous post was addressed at your previous assertion that the Mavs would continue sliding after the Orlando loss. They did not. In fact they have been absolutely dominant in the four games following that loss. But you don't face reality and realize that your stance was wrong - in fact, all you do is change your argument and nit-pick the future instead? That's just ridiculous. What's the point in being a fan if all you're going to do is point out the flaws non-stop? And then when you run out of flaws, point to the future possibility of failure? Why make being a fan so miserable?

Tu ne captes pas?
You have fallen very short of my position on this team.

For you to quote me is absurd, since you didn't get it right.

Then you tell me what I am going to say.

it is simple.

Show me.

How hard is it for you to get that?

Don't brag about regular season wins. Show me.

I voice a concern about areas of this teams' game, and suddenly I am doom and gloom.

I read here alot. I don't post here alot. The amount of posts one has really doesn't make a difference.

I see the Dirk is the Messiah posts and wonder where his low post game is.

I wonder why he takes so many J's when he could play closer to the basket.

I wonder where this team will be if he has a run of cold shots.

Fortunately Howard was the springboard for Dirk to get off against the Spurs.

We'll see. But after so many years, I believe my loyalty deserves more than hitting the finish line in any place other than first.

For all the money I have spent going to games. Buying products advertised on their telecasts.

It is about time to finally win it all.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:41 PM   #49
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day1MavsFan
It doesn't matter who can or can't stop Dirk. Although, it's incorrect to say that Marion hasn't historically gotten the best of Dirk. Dirk made a breakthrough (finally) in last year's playoff series against the Suns, and it has carried into this season. But that's only the last year, folks.
Well, historically, Marion didn't even guard Dirk until last season when Nash went to Phoenix and the Suns went with Marion at PF, so I'm not sure what history you're referring to. He played twice as many games against Marion in the playoffs (6) as he had during the regular season (3). That's one instance where history didn't give you much of a frame of reference.

Quote:
What matters is that Dirk stops himself by shooting too many off-balance fade-aways. He might shoot thousands of shots from the elbow during warm-ups or practice. But he doesn't fade away on all of those shots like he does in the games.

Maybe you couldn't say that Brian Bowen is a Dirk-stopper, but then why is Dirk shooting contested shots over him one or two steps inside the three-point arc? Why is Dirk such a good shooter, but he doesn't shoot as well (fg%) as Parker (a guard), Brand, Kaman, KG, and most other decent big men? It comes down to shot selection and how he shoots. Which leads me to my next point...
Hang on just a second. Dirk stops himself? You do realize that he's averaging a career-high 26.6 ppg, right?

Anyway, you reference Parker, Brand, Kaman, and KG as having higher FG% averages than Dirk. A better indicator of shooting efficiency is true shooting percentage (TS%). Dirk's TS% is .589. Garnett also has a TS% of .589, but the others all rank lower than Dirk (Parker - .580, Brand - .580, Kaman - .567). The point is, Dirk is a very efficient scorer -- more efficient or as efficient as all of those guys you named.

Quote:
It doesn't matter how many doom-and-gloom posts TwoDeep has made. For this thread, he's right. Dirk needs to take the ball inside more. For a seven-footer, he get's way too few layups and dunks. I don't agree that he can't find the open man if he's double-teamed in the post any less than at the elbow or three-point line. What good does it do for him to set up at the three-point line to receive the pass? That doesn't even bring a double-team ususally and it also doesn't usually bring good results either. He can work the post well enough, he just needs to get his butt in there before he gets the ball.
The progression of his post game toward the rim has been a gradual one. I expect that as he gets older you'll see him continue to get closer and closer to the rim. Right now, though, I don't see anything wrong with the results he's achieving. The man is a model of efficiency -- a scoring machine.

Quote:
Avery is right. Dirk needs to do it more in order to bring a title here. Anyone who disagrees, also disagrees with the coach. Dirk is getting better, as Avery attests, saying that Dirk is a 6.5 now, versus a 2 or 3 last year. He says that Dirk needs to get to an 8 or 9.
What Avery was talking about is abusing smaller players. Dirk IS doing that. Sure, he can get better at it, but he's already doing it now. I know you saw what he did to Artest and Bowen this past week.

Quote:
We'll see what happens in the playoffs. However, Dirk didn't do what he needed to do against Bruce Bowen in the previous game against the Spurs.
If you're referring to the March game, sure, Dirk had a bad outing (and the Mavs did, too, fwiw). The team was slow to adjust to how the Spurs were playing Dirk. Not so Friday night.

Quote:
So, to me, it didn't look like he'd learned a damn thing since last year's playoffs about how to beat smaller defenders. Even in this last win against S.A., he didn't really do it either. Eleven for 24 is nothing to write home about. He did shoot from the elbow, which is better than before, but he still didn't take it to the rim enough.
You do realize that Duncan was waiting at the rim, right?

11-24 is .458 FG%, and his TS% was .545. That's hardly inefficient, and last time I checked the Spurs were still the best defensive team in the league.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:42 PM   #50
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

TwoDeep, the problem is this. You talk about "a run of cold shots" Dirk could have from the perimeter. He could have that same run of cold shots, as you say, from inside. My own observation is that Dirk doesn't convert at an extraordinary rate from inside. When he gets shots from that area of the court, I see him defended quite well as a matter of practice.

So, I maintain that your very premise is flawed. I just don't understand why you want Dirk scoring from inside, when he is so dreadfully effective scoring from outside. Care to explain?

Though I'm not not wont to explore it right now, I'm also curious about these "off nights" and cold stretches you attribute to Dirk. How common are those? And for that matter, what's the generally accepted solution for a shooter who is in a slump? Shoot your way out of it!

I just don't get it. You have one of the most lethal scoring threats in the entire NBA--and for that matter, a guy who does it from both outside AND inside, no matter how much you would like to represent it otherwise--and you complain about his efficiency. I have my concerns about the Mavs, too, so in a way I can relate. But I don't understand the problem area you have chosen. My concerns about the Mavs, whatever they are, do NOT have to do with Dirk.

Last edited by chumdawg; 04-09-2006 at 10:45 PM.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:45 PM   #51
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is mavs fans waste way too much time worrying about guys dirk has problems with. Everyone has problems with certain teams. Hell tim duncan has more problems with the mavs than Dirk does with ANYONE.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 10:46 PM   #52
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

TwoDeep - This team is built to win a title. There's no guarantee it will win one, but then again, there never is. The playoffs are about to start. Sit back and enjoy the ride.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:49 PM   #53
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
The problem is mavs fans waste way too much time worrying about guys dirk has problems with. Everyone has problems with certain teams. Hell tim duncan has more problems with the mavs than Dirk does with ANYONE.
Thanks for pointing that out. I haven't heard anyone questioning Tim Duncan because he can't figure out how to score against the Mavs.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:49 PM   #54
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran
This team is built to win a title.
I'm curious if there is a substantive definition to this descriptor. I hear it a lot, but I don't often hear someone explain what it means.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:51 PM   #55
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

Winning 60+ games is something to be proud of even if a championship doesnt follow. How many teams would kill to have that kind of record even if they didn't win it all?

Winning 50+ games in how many consecutive seasons is equally impressive, even when you were supposed to get way worse the previous year and gave up arguably the best point guard in the league with nothing to show but a disappointing, 2nd string, overpaid big man you used his money on.

Championships just dont fall into your lap, and neither do those wins. I think they want it bad and they will do everything in their power to make it happen but if they dont win its not like there aren't 29 other teams (ok ok about 6 other possible contenders) making a push with the same mentality and expectations.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 10:55 PM   #56
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Quote:
You have fallen very short of my position on this team.

For you to quote me is absurd, since you didn't get it right.

Then you tell me what I am going to say.
Absurd? What exactly is it that I have 'misquoted'? Tell me how I am putting anything in your mouth? Everything I said in my previous post is straight off the page from You TwoDeep. Please point out where you find these inconsistencies and I will link to exactly where you said it.

Quote:
Don't brag about regular season wins.
Nobody is bragging about regular season wins. I don't see anyone jumping up and down screaming "We're going to win 60! Yippee!". YOU are the only one bringing up regular season victories and saying that they don't mean anything - which is laughable considering that we are yet to get out of the regular season - so what is your measuring stick? If the regular season means nothing then you have no metric by which to measure the Mavericks either positively or negatively. On the one hand you say that our wins in the regular season mean nothing yet on the other you use our losses in the regular season as evidence to point out our fatal flaws. Either all of the games mean something, or none of the games mean anything. Otherwise, you are guilty of a fundamental paradox of logic.

Quote:
I voice a concern about areas of this teams' game, and suddenly I am doom and gloom.
You are not, "suddenly...doom and gloom". I appreciate you voicing your concerns. But you need to change how you do it. This is not a singular incident. As recently as a week ago you were going on and on about how the Mavericks had, "fallen from Grace". About how the, "writing was on the wall", and how the Mavericks, "have suddenly become the Knicks." Then when the team picks itself up and dominates...absolutely DOMINATES in the month of April - where are you?

Quote:
I read here alot. I don't post here alot. The amount of posts one has really doesn't make a difference.
I'm not even going to address this because I said nothing remotely close to it.

Quote:
I see the Dirk is the Messiah posts and wonder where his low post game is.

I wonder why he takes so many J's when he could play closer to the basket.

I wonder where this team will be if he has a run of cold shots.
Dirk maximizes his effectiveness as a basketball player by shooting from the outside. Why are you so concerned with him playing a game that fails to maximize his effectiveness? Why would TD play from the perimeter? Why would Nash post-up? Just because Dirk is a 7-footer, does that make him an incomplete player just because his post-game is not All-NBA? Absolutely not. He takes so many Js because he hits all those Js. That's what he's good...nay...excellent at.

Quote:
Show me.

How hard is it for you to get that?
Not hard at all. If you insist on thinking of the regular season as a wash - then the Mavs will start 'showing you' in a few short weeks.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:58 PM   #57
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:
I haven't heard anyone questioning Tim Duncan because he can't figure out how to score against the Mavs.
You should check out the Spurs boards

Last edited by orangedays; 04-09-2006 at 10:58 PM.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:03 PM   #58
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
I'm curious if there is a substantive definition to this descriptor. I hear it a lot, but I don't often hear someone explain what it means.
In my mind, I'm talking about the fact that the team is built in a similar fashion to champions of the past. The offense, rebounding, and defense are all top 10 in the league (the offense and rebounding are both top 3). The team has the ability to score in the clutch and the ability to get stops. It has a superstar playing like the MVP, excellent coaching, and well-defined roles for each player on the team.

In the past, even in 02-03 (IMO), there were serious flaws. Now, there are still flaws, but I don't view any of them as serious enough to stand in the way of winning a title.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:07 PM   #59
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day1MavsFan

We'll see what happens in the playoffs. However, Dirk didn't do what he needed to do against Bruce Bowen in the previous game against the Spurs. So, to me, it didn't look like he'd learned a damn thing since last year's playoffs about how to beat smaller defenders. Even in this last win against S.A., he didn't really do it either. Eleven for 24 is nothing to write home about. He did shoot from the elbow, which is better than before, but he still didn't take it to the rim enough.

If you want to disagree because of who started the thread, or how often that person has been wrong, then that's your prerogative. But that doesn't make you right (or him wrong this time).
This is just an absolutely idiotic post. It's unfortunate that something like this makes its way onto any basketball site. Do you even look at stats before you throw out your opinion or do you just pull them out of your ass?

KG has already destroyed this post. There's not much more to do to it other than point out that is absolutely an ignorant post at best.

Last edited by Murphy3; 04-09-2006 at 11:07 PM.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 11:09 PM   #60
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks for pointing that out. I haven't heard anyone questioning Tim Duncan because he can't figure out how to score against the Mavs.
Well, KG, I did start a thread bout it just a couple of days ago.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 11:12 PM   #61
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
Well, KG, I did start a thread bout it just a couple of days ago.
I meant in the media. I should have been more clear.

I read your thread and agreed completely.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:19 PM   #62
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
In my mind, I'm talking about the fact that the team is built in a similar fashion to champions of the past. The offense, rebounding, and defense are all top 10 in the league (the offense and rebounding are both top 3). The team has the ability to score in the clutch and the ability to get stops. It has a superstar playing like the MVP, excellent coaching, and well-defined roles for each player on the team.

In the past, even in 02-03 (IMO), there were serious flaws. Now, there are still flaws, but I don't view any of them as serious enough to stand in the way of winning a title.
Those metrics in offense and defense and rebounding make a lot of sense, in that those criteria have a great bearing on wins and losses. I guess it depends on how loosely you define "built to win a championship." If by your definition three or four or more teams each season are built to win a championship, then I guess the metrics you put forth are really enough in themselves. But then again, if those are the metrics, then I suggest the terminology should be "built to contend for a championship" rather than built to win one.

I just get the feeling that a lot of people think there is a formula. There is no formula. There is no formula today, any more than there was a formula ten or twenty years ago. It is always relative. The Mavs spent several years trying to find an answer to Shaq, because in order to win the championship they would have to beat Shaq's team in a series. Now, then, they probably won't have to. And that changes things.

My belief is that the league is far more fluid--at least these days--than most people would lke to believe. It was something of a shock when Detroit beat the Lakers--and beat the Lakers DOWN, I might add--a couple years ago. That's because people were stuck in the same old mindset that the best players always win out. Today's NBA is a fertile ground for innovation, strategy. I rarely watch a good game that doesn't come down to tactics. There are ways, these days, that there weren't before. There are counter-attacks to the threat opposing you.

In short, I don't think there is a formula anymore. Phoenix may be built to win a title--certainly with a healthy Amare they would stand a chance. Detroit, their polar opposite, may be as well. Dallas, somewhere in between, may also be.

So what does "built for a title" mean?

Offense, defense, and rebounding....yes. But that's about it. And those are rather broad categories.

Last edited by chumdawg; 04-09-2006 at 11:20 PM.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:23 PM   #63
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Nemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud of

Yawn....
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 12:31 AM   #64
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blab's Nemesis
Yawn....
Too many big words?

Last edited by orangedays; 04-10-2006 at 12:32 AM.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:40 AM   #65
TwoDeep3

Orange, please feel free to quote yourself and then post my quote with a link that substantiates your premise.

Smurphy, do you do anything on this board but snuggle Dirk's nads and put others down?

Well, you do offer the basketball acumen of someone who watches in his basement on his big screen with his computer near by.

Real X's and O's stuff, that.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:04 AM   #66
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

Quote:
Orange, please feel free to quote yourself and then post my quote with a link that substantiates your premise.
wow, that won't be hard at all.

seriously, your posts are verbal diarrhea. just a complete waste of time. why you insist on starting your own threads each time, is just beyond me.

Last edited by aexchange; 04-10-2006 at 06:15 AM.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 06:17 AM   #67
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Well actually if you go to the sk*rts forums they are doing exactly that.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:28 AM   #68
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
Well actually if you go to the sk*rts forums they are doing exactly that.
I wasn't very clear, but I meant to refer to the media. Plenty of people were ragging on Dirk after the March game against the Spurs when Bowen "shut Dirk down." Not many of them have been ragging on Duncan for being shut down by the Mavs all season long.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:25 AM   #69
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Those metrics in offense and defense and rebounding make a lot of sense, in that those criteria have a great bearing on wins and losses. I guess it depends on how loosely you define "built to win a championship." If by your definition three or four or more teams each season are built to win a championship, then I guess the metrics you put forth are really enough in themselves. But then again, if those are the metrics, then I suggest the terminology should be "built to contend for a championship" rather than built to win one.
Seems like semantics to me, but if you prefer "built to contend for a championship," I can live with that, too.

Quote:
I just get the feeling that a lot of people think there is a formula. There is no formula. There is no formula today, any more than there was a formula ten or twenty years ago. It is always relative. The Mavs spent several years trying to find an answer to Shaq, because in order to win the championship they would have to beat Shaq's team in a series. Now, then, they probably won't have to. And that changes things.

My belief is that the league is far more fluid--at least these days--than most people would lke to believe. It was something of a shock when Detroit beat the Lakers--and beat the Lakers DOWN, I might add--a couple years ago. That's because people were stuck in the same old mindset that the best players always win out. Today's NBA is a fertile ground for innovation, strategy. I rarely watch a good game that doesn't come down to tactics. There are ways, these days, that there weren't before. There are counter-attacks to the threat opposing you.

In short, I don't think there is a formula anymore. Phoenix may be built to win a title--certainly with a healthy Amare they would stand a chance. Detroit, their polar opposite, may be as well. Dallas, somewhere in between, may also be.

So what does "built for a title" mean?
I agree with you that there's no set formula. What I was referring to is that the Mavericks have a lot of things in common with teams that have won titles in the past. The metrics I described (offense, defense, rebounding) and certain other things (having a superstar, good supporting cast) are just things that, historically speaking, champions have had. I agree that they are no guarantee of success. There is no such thing in the NBA.

The reason I think this team is the best in the current era and the most equipped to win a title is that it doesn't have any significant weaknesses. The 02-03 Mavs were great offensively but had weaknesses defensively and on the boards. This team is a great offensive and rebounding team and is good enough defensively to win it all. IMO, of course.

Quote:
Offense, defense, and rebounding....yes. But that's about it. And those are rather broad categories.
I am referencing pp100 (for and against) and rebounding differential.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:46 PM   #70
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

This is just sad, people are allowed to have and express opinions on this forum and we're allowed to disagree with them... but you don't need to insult them. It's petty. So Dirk doesn't go to the post enough? He does sometimes and COULD more, but the reason hes so dangerous is because he has a range greater than 2ft unlike some big men. He can light it up anywhere and thats why hes so much fun to watch and primarily why hes an MVP caliber player, one word, versatility. If he always went to the post like every other seven footer he would be as boring to watch as Duncan.
Old 04-10-2006, 04:03 PM   #71
TwoDeep3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aexchange
wow, that won't be hard at all.

seriously, your posts are verbal diarrhea. just a complete waste of time. why you insist on starting your own threads each time, is just beyond me.
Once again you post something with little substance.

Just like I ALWAYS come here after a loss.

You seldom deal with the content. You do what Smurphy does. You belittle the poster because my opinion differs from yours.
Old 04-10-2006, 04:25 PM   #72
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

Quote:
Once again you post something with little substance.
Just like I ALWAYS come here after a loss.
wow, talk about having a selective memory.

nice way to misconstrue an argument there.

you stated that you always come and post after a mavs win,

i simply pointed out how this was incorrect.

Quote:
You seldom deal with the content. You do what Smurphy does. You belittle the poster because my opinion differs from yours.
little substance?

i laugh at that remark.

i laugh at many things.

i laugh mostly at your overstated importance of self in regards to the board.

i laugh at the fact you feel the need to start your own thread about how your feelings have changed about the mavs.

i laugh at the fact that this could have been covered in the game day thread of the spurs/mavs

or

i laugh at the fact that you could have posted this same thread in the mavs/spur thoughts that ddh so eloquently lays out after EVERY game.

instead,

i laugh at you.

i laugh at your posting style.

i laugh at the fact you actually think anyone here gives a flying rats ass what you actually think.

its just drivel.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 05:12 PM   #73
WraithXx
Diamond Member

WraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant future

TwoDeep3, can you guys please unban me over at ranchreport.com (Wraith584)?

it's been a damn long time and I think I've learned my lesson by now...

I miss posting and talking to the guys

lemme know, thanks
Old 04-10-2006, 11:11 PM   #74
Tokey41
Platinum Member

I dont think you guys are listening to reason. Did you think maybe if you stop feeding the fire it would burn out? Quit making fun of the kids post, maybe he came onto a Mavericks board earlier in the season with the sole purpose of disagreeing with the fans of the team and trying to get some replies because he doesn't get enough love from the people in his life. Oh man! What a concept! Maybe he just wants attention... but your giving it to him!? You know you don't care what he thinks, so why respond? This is really common on forums and I can tell your all fairly intelligent people, so put it together and realize that his purpose was to piss you off (which is retarded in its own sense because it accomplishes nothing) and just ignore it.

Do you need 1,000 posts to be taken seriously around here or what? Your insights although appreciated are not more important than anyone elses.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:15 PM   #75
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokey41
I dont think you guys are listening to reason. Did you think maybe if you stop feeding the fire it would burn out? Quit making fun of the kids post, maybe he came onto a Mavericks board earlier in the season with the sole purpose of disagreeing with the fans of the team and trying to get some replies because he doesn't get enough love from the people in his life. Oh man! What a concept! Maybe he just wants attention... but your giving it to him!? You know you don't care what he thinks, so why respond? This is really common on forums and I can tell your all fairly intelligent people, so put it together and realize that his purpose was to piss you off (which is retarded in its own sense because it accomplishes nothing) and just ignore it.

Do you need 1,000 posts to be taken seriously around here or what? Your insights although appreciated are not more important than anyone elses.
Dude, no offense. But I think you're taking it more seriously than anyone else here.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:00 AM   #76
TwoDeep3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aexchange
wow, talk about having a selective memory.

nice way to misconstrue an argument there.

you stated that you always come and post after a mavs win,

i simply pointed out how this was incorrect.

little substance?

i laugh at that remark.

i laugh at many things.

i laugh mostly at your overstated importance of self in regards to the board.

i laugh at the fact you feel the need to start your own thread about how your feelings have changed about the mavs.

i laugh at the fact that this could have been covered in the game day thread of the spurs/mavs

or

i laugh at the fact that you could have posted this same thread in the mavs/spur thoughts that ddh so eloquently lays out after EVERY game.

instead,

i laugh at you.

i laugh at your posting style.

i laugh at the fact you actually think anyone here gives a flying rats ass what you actually think.

its just drivel.
You give my posts importance by replying.

Oh, and wouldn't it be nice if the nights that Dirk's shots aren't falling he'd play closer to the basket and take it to the hole?
Old 04-11-2006, 12:53 AM   #77
chumdawg
Guru

TwoDeep, would you mind unbanning Wraith at RanchReport? The kid says he's learned his lesson. And he has a certain sort of spirit that I'm sure your board would benefit from. All the kid wants is a second chance, man. Have a heart, wouldya?

Also, would you consider giving me a discount on the $99 annual fee over there? Or perhaps work out something in trade? I'd be willing to edit some of your stuff. But only so much. After all, we are only talking about ninety-nine bucks here.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:23 AM   #78
TwoDeep3

Quote:
TwoDeep, would you mind unbanning Wraith at RanchReport? The kid says he's learned his lesson. And he has a certain sort of spirit that I'm sure your board would benefit from. All the kid wants is a second chance, man. Have a heart, wouldya?

Also, would you consider giving me a discount on the $99 annual fee over there? Or perhaps work out something in trade? I'd be willing to edit some of your stuff. But only so much. After all, we are only talking about ninety-nine bucks here.
I didn't ban him. But I will take it up with the other MODS.

If you want a discount, whyn not contact Roy and write an article for the site once a week or so.

That is the standard pay. Access to the pay-per-view info.

He also might be interested in another writer for the magazine. I write two articles a month myself. Pays ain't great but it is nice seeing my stuff in a real live magazine.

If you are serious, then contact him.

He is the guy with the power since it is his site.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:13 AM   #79
Day1MavsFan

Day1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
This is just an absolutely idiotic post. It's unfortunate that something like this makes its way onto any basketball site. Do you even look at stats before you throw out your opinion or do you just pull them out of your ass?

KG has already destroyed this post. There's not much more to do to it other than point out that is absolutely an ignorant post at best.
Instead of showing your childish nature by berating people when you disagree with their posts, why don't you actually try and make a valid counter-argument? Nobody wants to read that crap.

We'd all be so gracious if you'd bless us with your infinite basketball knowledge, like perhaps with another diatribe on how Eddie Najera fake-hustles.
Day1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 12:24 AM   #80
chumdawg
Guru

Oh, goodness, if it's going to come to Eddie Najera fake-hustling, TD and Murph will have to get a room.