Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-11-2006, 12:43 AM   #1
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future
Default Clippers/Mavs Thoughts

Dirk for MVP!

Now that's out of the way. Tonight's game was every bit as ugly as the score would indicate. I thought that both teams played very good defense. At the same time, both teams played very poor offense. In the end, Dallas had Dirk. Once again, that was the difference.

It should be noted that Dallas' defense has been excellent lately. If the team is not forcing turnovers or blocking shots, they are making life miserable on shooters. The Clippers shot only 35%. Good thing too since Dallas was only able to shoot 37%. Dallas also won the battle of the boards against some strong post players. I think all of those things are positive. I would imagine that Avery can go into the locker room tonight and say, "See, I told you. You can win in this league with effort, defense, and rebounding!"

Dirk didn't actually play that well tonight. The Clippers played him very physically all night. Unlike some teams that put a smaller player on Dirk, the Clippers seem to prefer having Chris Kaman guard Dirk. He actually does a pretty good job, especially when he's allowed to use his strength and size without the worry of being called for cheap fouls. Dirk was obviously frustrated with some of the calls though. It didn't stop him from playing and contributing though. I loved the 14 boards he pulled down. They were all needed. He also continued his streak of games with 20+ points. And of course, there was the game winning shot. Maybe that will score him some more points with the voters who were probably all asleep anyway.

Marquis Daniels was the unsung hero of the game. Daniels played very solid ball tonight. It seems that more and more of the offense is being run through him lately, and while no one is saying it (that I have read), I believe that the reason why Daniels went to the bench and Stack continues to start is that Marquis has kind of unofficially become the third point guard on this team. Whether playing along side Terry or not, Quis had some nice moments. He had a very efficient night scoring the basketball, and he was very good defensively. His 13 points and 4 assists are the kind of numbers this team would love to have consistently. When I watch him play the role he did tonight, I always remember the things Nellie said about how Marquis would never realize his full potential until he was allowed to play the point.

Josh Howard had a forgettable night. Q.Ross did a very good job on him, but Josh missed some shots he usually hits too. 3-13 for 9 points is not typical of Josh lately, but he did help his team on defense and on the boards with his 7 rebounds.

Jerry Stackhouse seems to be making an effort to become more of a playmaker and less of a scorer right now. I wonder if the coaching staff has explained to Jerry that when he's starting he is playing alongside of three other good offensive options. His shot attempts have been down lately, but he's been more efficient. Tonight he shot poorly on his way to a 2-11 night, but I appreciated some other things he did. He picked up 5 rebounds along the way, and had 4 assists.

Gana Diop had a nice night, I thought. Those 4 blocks in 22 minutes were huge, and he was very active against Elton Brand all night long. He only had 3 rebounds, but I kind of think that's misleading tonight. Diop was getting his hands on a lot of loose balls, and I couldn't count the number of times that he kept plays alive - only to have a teammate grab the rebound. Those things don't show up on the stat sheet, but you don't win without it.

Erick Dampier also was fairly solid. Damp, like Diop, had the primary responsibility of helping to slow Brand. Brand only had 13 points on 15 shots, and he continues to struggle against the Mavs - which has been a call sign of this team against some high profile big men.

DJ Mbenga was probably the best center for the Mavs tonight at times. Of course, DJ's lack of experience holds him back, as does the lack of trust from the coaching staff. However, in important minutes in the first and early second half, DJ was very good. I thought his aggressiveness and activity really turned the game in Dallas' favor in the first half when the team was down by 12. DJ chased everything and gobbled up 6 rebounds in that time while also converting on a couple of shot attempts. Overall, I thought he had an impressive showing, and though it's a long way off, I think DJ is going to be an even bigger contributor in Dallas next season.

Josh Powell also had some moments tonight. Like DJ, I think the best in Josh's career is in future years. In the present though, he's playing a role pretty well. Josh also brought some energy to the floor tonight. He really worked hard and helped his team. His offensive game shows more signs. He actually floored the ball and had a nice leaning shot in tonight's game that kind of helped stop the LA momentum.

There was an Adrian Griffin sighting...but just barely. Griff played a couple of minutes and found a rebound and an assist. Typical Griff.

Jason Terry played pretty well tonight, but I think it sort of depends on what you want. Terry, actually, was the target of my frustration several times tonight when the offense just seemed to bog down and die. Granted, the Clippers were doing some good things defensively, but I wanted our point guard to do a little more. Instead, Terry did his usual thing and knocked down jumpers on his way to 15 points.

In the end, the Mavs got an ugly win. The great thing about it is that no one will remember that it was ugly. Instead, it counts a win, and the race continues for the Southwest.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2006, 12:47 AM   #2
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

its true that sometimes barrfing can make you feel better.

lets just hope the Mavs feel better now.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 12:47 AM   #3
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice moment at the end, but otherwise a very forgettable game.

I suppose that shot was just to remind us all "Hey, don't forget you're watching the MVP here."
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 12:48 AM   #4
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

I <3 Dirk!
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 12:53 AM   #5
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

The Clipps deserve credit for the defense they had on Dirk. I don't blame a bit of Dirk's shooting percentage on Dirk. There were times where the Clipps just let Kaman or Brand play Dirk straight up and they held their ground for the most part and when they didn't Ross or Ewing would come and help out. One thing I saw out of Dirk that was sort of out of his character was he'd beat Kaman with a pump fake but then he'd do his fadeaway J. Seems usually he'd hit the pump fake and then go inside a bit. I was shocked to see Kaman and Brand keep up with Dirk. Not too many guys in this league can.

I also thought Marquis hit some big shots for us when nothing would go. There was a time where we just couldn't get anything to go. Marquis hit 2 key back to back buckets that were definatley needed. Things could've got ugly from there.

Mavs also deserve praise for their defense on Brand. Every time he was in the paint there was a guy out there on him. That guy is one of the better big men in this league. Mavs should be proud of the way the contained him in the paint.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 12:55 AM   #6
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddh33
Erick Dampier also was fairly solid. Damp, like Diop, had the primary responsibility of helping to slow Brand. Brand only had 13 points on 15 shots, and he continues to struggle against the Mavs - which has been a call sign of this team against some high profile big men.
I was ragging on our center's in the GDT (going off GameCast, it seemed like they were doing awful) but it's very relieving to read that they were playing effectively out there tonight. I think ddh33's point is critical and our success in the playoffs hinges, in large part, on our ability to contain the PF position.

I was disappointed by our defense on Kaman though - but I mean, besides him, we won't really be encountering any offensive-minded 5's in the playoffs so it may be a non-issue. And he is *ss-backwards ugly, so maybe it's just a case of our defenders not wanting to touch him. *shrugs*
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 01:02 AM   #7
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I don't blame a bit of Dirk's shooting percentage on Dirk

then you crazy.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 04-11-2006, 01:06 AM   #8
WraithXx
Diamond Member

WraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant future

orangedays, how do you survive by following games on Gamecast and not actually being able to watch them? I'd go nuts!
Old 04-11-2006, 01:12 AM   #9
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by WraithXx
orangedays, how do you survive by following games on Gamecast and not actually being able to watch them? I'd go nuts!
I did it for last season...of course....I did go nuts....but there are only so many times you can go to the sports bar...

Old 04-11-2006, 01:15 AM   #10
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Quote:
As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death
I take a look at my life and realise there's nothing left
coz I've been GameCasting and laughing so long, that
even my mama thinks that my mind is gone

It's hard dude, but my love for the Mavs helps me carry on. Hallelujah.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:19 AM   #11
sike
The Preacha

orangedays may just make it here at d-m......

great post.

Old 04-11-2006, 01:23 AM   #12
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Say, OD, I think you might improve the cadence if you drop the "that" in the fourth line. What do you think?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 01:25 AM   #13
WraithXx
Diamond Member

WraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedays
As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death
I take a look at my life and realise there's nothing left
coz I've been GameCasting and laughing so long, that
even my mama thinks that my mind is gone

It's hard dude, but my love for the Mavs helps me carry on. Hallelujah.
I just spent the last 10 minutes throwing up with horrific memories of Coolio singing "Gangta's paradise"
Old 04-11-2006, 01:25 AM   #14
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Say, OD, I think you might improve the cadence if you drop the "that" in the fourth line. What do you think?
I didn't write it, you're going to have to take it up with this guy :

Old 04-11-2006, 01:27 AM   #15
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:
I just spent the last 10 minutes throwing up with horrific memories of Coolio singing "Gangta's paradise"
Brotha don't sing! He RAPS.

Though I think he does it for the Disney Channel now...which may or may not negatively impact his 'street cred'.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:27 AM   #16
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Who that is?
Old 04-11-2006, 01:29 AM   #17
sike
The Preacha

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedays
Brotha don't sing! He RAPS.

Though I think he does it for the Disney Channel now...which may or may not negatively impact his 'street cred'.
what are you talking about?...he practically rules Sesame Street!

Old 04-11-2006, 01:30 AM   #18
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

Quote:
come along and ride on a fantastic voyage

ride, slide, slippidy-slide...blah blah blah.. side.

the song that started the legendary career of Coolio.

your welcome wraith. ; )

Last edited by jleefilled; 04-11-2006 at 01:37 AM.
jleefilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 01:42 AM   #19
WraithXx
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleefilled
come along and ride on a fantastic voyage

ride, slide, slippidy-slide...blah blah blah.. side.

the song that started the legendary career of Coolio.

your welcome wraith. ; )
I used to love that song when I first heard it in 1995 when I was in 5th grade

I'm a rock kinda guy but when it comes to hip-hop, Wu Tang Clan is where my heart lies
Old 04-11-2006, 01:53 AM   #20
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

So what kind of statement does this game make? After all, this is a playoff preview, right?

So without Cassell, the Clipps can take the Mavs to the last .07 seconds.
Even without Harris or much Griff, the Mavs can beat this LA in LA
Mavs need help from DJ and Powell to win.
Mavs can win with defense on a night when they miss a ton of makable shots.
Mavs can contain Brand and Mobley, but not Kaman.
Quis in very valuable.
So this is what 48 minutes of defensive intensity looks like.

Never count out Dirk. Even on his worst night, he can still win a game.

Mavs in 5, maybe 6.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:59 AM   #21
chumdawg
Guru

Well, for everything else this game may have shown, what it boiled down to was an ending that was not at all distinguishable from the endings in four of the five games against Sacramento in '04. When you take it down the to last possession for both teams, you surrender yourself to the whims of chance and statistical deviation. If the Mavs play the Clips like this every time out, they stand a decent chance of losing a seven-game series.

I certainly hope the Mavs do not play the Clippers like this in the playoffs. I'd hate to have to win a coinflip four times in seven to win a series.

Last edited by chumdawg; 04-11-2006 at 01:59 AM.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:01 AM   #22
sike
The Preacha

not a chance of more than one game in the series looking anything like this one....

Old 04-11-2006, 02:18 AM   #23
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

Mavs missed too many good looks for me to be discouraged, Chum. This could have easily been a 10 point win. Instead it was a gut check, and these Mavs have guts.

I'd much rather play Memphis, though

Last edited by G-Man; 04-11-2006 at 02:29 AM.
G-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 08:08 AM   #24
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Only on Dallas-mavs.com would a 2 point, 2 rebound, 3 personal foul game from Erick Dampier be considered a "good game".

I guess it doesn't matter that the opposing center dropped 22 points and 12 boards.

I mean, shit... why do I bother even reading this drivel anymore? There is absolutely no objectivity.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 08:26 AM   #25
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by madape
Only on Dallas-mavs.com would a 2 point, 2 rebound, 3 personal foul game from Erick Dampier be considered a "good game".

I guess it doesn't matter that the opposing center dropped 22 points and 12 boards.

I mean, shit... why do I bother even reading this drivel anymore? There is absolutely no objectivity.
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 08:41 AM   #26
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate ddh's effort and I enjoy reading the column. But I think I'm going to skip over the center analysis from now on.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 09:09 AM   #27
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Dampier wasn't guarding Kaman, but I don't think Dampier played well last night. His defense on Brand was okay, but there was a reason Avery gave significant minutes to M'Benga. He was more effective than the other two guys.

On the positive side, we have three legitimate centers. At different times in the playoffs, I think all three will contribute.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:12 AM   #28
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

It was a really ugly, boring game that I went to bed in in the 4th quater. Just too late. I knew they would win no matter what. But I hope they play better than that over the rest of the games. Bad defense in the first quater
Old 04-11-2006, 09:47 AM   #29
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Holding brand way below his season average of 52 percent shooting and making him a mere mortal is a heck of a feat. The Mavericks did miss some shots that normally go in. Kaman is quickly becoming one of the better centers in the league. He kind of looks like the guy Dober from Coach.

DJ was great off the bench in the first half. DJ had a hook shot and a nice turnaround jumper. His play against the Hornets carried over. The guy is improving rapidly. We need to wrap im up. Every team that doesn't have a Shaq or Yao needs three guys patrolling the paint. Diop has played well the past three or four games. The Mavericks are only a half a game back despite dropping three straight on the last road trip. I hope we can bring the number one seed and ultimately the title home.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 10:09 AM   #30
sike
The Preacha

By DAVID MOORE / The Dallas Morning News

LOS ANGELES – Dirk Nowitzki has talked about the importance of getting his game ready for the playoffs.

That means taking – and hitting – a few game-winning shots along the regular-season way.

Monday was one of those nights. Nowitzki shook off an uncharacteristically poor second half of offense to win the game with a 15-foot jumper with seven-tenths of a second left in regulation.

The win moved Dallas within a half-game of San Antonio for the best record in the Western Conference.

That’s what my team needs me to do,’’ Nowitzki said of the shot that gave the Mavericks a 75-73 win over the Los Angeles Clippers at the Staples Center. “I’m the go-to guy.

“You don’t really think too much about it. You just have the ball in the last few seconds, and you want to help your team win.’’

The Mavericks didn’t play their best game. It didn’t matter. What the Mavericks lacked in execution, they made up for with determination. And defense. The Clippers had a season-low in points, shooting just 35.2 percent from the field.

“This is another game where we proved to ourselves that we can win basketball games with defense,’’ Mavericks coach Avery Johnson said. “I don’t know if we win this game in the past.

“We’re a different team.’’

If this game was a preview of the first round of the playoffs, expect a grind-it-out series. The game had less flow than traffic on the 405 freeway, with both teams shooting less than 38 percent from the field. The Mavericks scored a season-low 11 points in the third quarter, totaled only 25 points in the second half and still won.

Elton Brand, the Clippers leading scorer, struggled against the combination of DeSagana Diop and Erick Dampier, going 4-of-15 from the field for 13 points. One of his few open shots was a 15-footer for the lead in the final minute, a shot he missed badly.

Monday marked the third time the teams have played this season. The Mavericks have have won all three, sandwiching two-point wins around a 20-point blowout.

“I don’t think either team walks away thinking they have a major edge,’’ Clippers coach Mike Dunleavy said. “I think they know if we play really well we can beat them, and we know if they play well that they can beat us.’’

The difference: the Mavericks didn’t play well Monday and still won.

Dunleavy’s primary concern entering the game wasn’t the Mavericks. It was his team.

The franchise will be making its first playoff appearance in nine years and only the fourth since it moved from Buffalo in 1976. But a 17-point loss to the Los Angeles Lakers Sunday night – and seven losses in the last 12 games – has called the Clippers playoff readiness into question.

The Mavericks offense didn’t appear playoff-ready Monday. Josh Howard and Jason Terry combined to go 5-of-29 from the field. The Mavericks turned the ball over 13 times and didn’t score on the fast break all evening.

“We had a terrible outing offensively,’’ Nowitzki said.

The MVP candidate included himself in that assessment. The forward was just 6-of-19 from the field and missed 10 of his first 11 shots in the second half before hitting the one that counted.

“All you’re going to remember is the last shot,’’ Johnson said. “That’s all that matters.’’

Old 04-11-2006, 10:10 AM   #31
sike
The Preacha

I like it, "I'm the go to guy".

Old 04-11-2006, 10:12 AM   #32
sike
The Preacha

"The forward was just 6-of-19 from the field and missed 10 of his first 11 shots in the second half before hitting the one that counted."

I knew he was shooting poorly...but 1-11? wow...we're likey not to see that again.

Old 04-11-2006, 10:31 AM   #33
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
"The forward was just 6-of-19 from the field and missed 10 of his first 11 shots in the second half before hitting the one that counted."

I knew he was shooting poorly...but 1-11? wow...we're likey not to see that again.
It wasn't that his shot just wasn't falling. It wasn't even the defense either really. His shot selection was quite terrible. Now that's something we're VERY unlikely to see again.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:37 AM   #34
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold

I only saw the first half, but were we running new plays? Especially in the second quarter, it looked like we were doing a ton of double screens with Dirk and Diop or DJ. I thought it screwed up the offense as we took forever getting the play going and not having enough time to pass out of the play and find a 2nd or 3rd option after the screens were set for Terry, Stack, Josh or whoever.

G-man, your crazy. First of all, the Clips haven't been to playoffs since I was born and we are up 3-0 in the season series with the first two games complete blowouts. Second, we're up 3-1 on Memphis for the year, but have played all but one close game with them and they are playoff tested. They are a much stronger defensive team and would give us much more trouble than the Clips. I would call a Clip series a sweep and a Memphis series in 6 games. Hope for the Clips.
foglemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 10:39 AM   #35
sike
The Preacha

I agree that a couple of those shots were out of character...but most of them where right in his wheelhouse....I mean, those are shots he usually nails...not to mention that when he does miss them....they are usually much closer than they were last night...and I agree...it had very little to do with LA's D.

Old 04-11-2006, 10:40 AM   #36
sike
The Preacha

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man

I'd much rather play Memphis, though
interesting...I see LA as the better match up for the mavs.

Old 04-11-2006, 10:58 AM   #37
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Was i the only one that was extremely pissed with the foul call livingston got at the end? All ive heard for years when mavs get fouled is well you dont get that call at the end of a game. Now when it goes against the mavs we get an extremely questionable call? F that.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 10:59 AM   #38
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Why do the Clippers deserve credit for the way they played Dirk? He missed good look after good look. They didn't do much of anything to slow him down other than allow him to miss good looks. He might have forced a shot or two, but for the most part, he got what he wanted..He just didn't get the end result.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 11:01 AM   #39
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

As long as the Mavs are helping out on Brand...Kaman will have some pretty good games against the Mavs.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 11:03 AM   #40
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
Why do the Clippers deserve credit for the way they played Dirk? He missed good look after good look. They didn't do much of anything to slow him down other than allow him to miss good looks. He might have forced a shot or two, but for the most part, he got what he wanted..He just didn't get the end result.
I agree that it wasn't the defense, but I honestly don't think he "got what he wanted." Most of his shots looked terrible to me. He picked his spots okay, but they just all seemed forced to me. Most, if not all of the shots he missed were off-balance.