Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-19-2002, 01:45 PM   #1
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Let's have a loyalty test.

This is purely fictional and does not take into account the salary cap. Suppose the Lakers contacted us and wanted to trade Shaq for Dirk. We would be almost GUARANTEED a championship. The kicker is that Shaq will retire after 2 years.

Do you do the trade?
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2002, 01:48 PM   #2
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Stop it my head's starting to hurt.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 01:50 PM   #3
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

definitely a though one..
it's a no brainer if you don't throw the "shaq will retire in 2 years".

it kinda depends on whether or not you think dirk can bring the mavs more championships than that.

throw out the "shaq will retire in 2 years" and i say yes, immediately take the deal

but i think dirk is going to be something truly special over the next 12-15 years..very possibly bringing the mavs more than 1 championship.

also, is trading dirk to L.A. a good thing? How potent is that offense with Dirk and Kobe? could the lakers then realistically still be favored to beat the mavs?..probably not....guess i just answered my own question
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 01:53 PM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

the question is..do you want to forfeit the future by giving yourself a better shot at a championship now.
do you think dirk has the chance to take the mavs to the next level?
I actually do believe he will be widely regarded as a top 1-3 guy in the NBA in a couple of years...but shaq is the most dominant player i've ever seen down low
Old 02-19-2002, 01:55 PM   #5
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

If it guarantees a pair of rings for the Mavs, then I'd probably do it. But since there are no guarantees in life, I'd probably much rather stick it out with Dirk for the next 10-15 and see what happens.
Old 02-19-2002, 01:58 PM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

of course, dj..there is no such thing as a guarantee.
I really can't wait to see what kind of numbers dirk puts up for his career. By the time his career ends, he will probably be the best mavs player ever...
but, shaq would be a unique opportunity to have the best player in the league on the mavs team right now
Old 02-19-2002, 01:59 PM   #7
Joe Joe
Banned

Joe Joe is on a distinguished road

Screw that, hell you can have Dirk shit take Fin with him. Nash and Shaq=championship. Screw loyalty, if they wanted a ring now instead of later you do the trade. Shaq=WINNER This is a no brainer, whoever wouldn't do the deal is not thinking straight. Hell I love Dirks game, but Shaq is about 5 levels above the guy. Shaq will bring you 2 rings, and Dirk will bring you none. Do the deal, screw the guys future. How guys are coming into the league these days, there will be another like him. No doubt do the deal.
Joe Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 02:01 PM   #8
Joe Joe
Banned

Shaq=guaranteed RING. No doubt about it, the guy would bring us 2 rings.
Old 02-19-2002, 02:01 PM   #9
djb
Administrator

Dirk may indeed end up being the best Mavs player ever, but I'm still unsure if he'll ever become the dominant force we all envision. Trade him for Shaq, win a championship, then ship Shaq off to Memphis for Gasol and Battier [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 02-19-2002, 02:02 PM   #10
Murphy3
Guru

i think your use of the "s" word violates the terms of service...but i'm not personally offended.

like i said...I would probably do the deal...but would hate mortgaging the mavs future....a future in which dirk could possibly bring championships to dallas...losing a guy that would be among the very elite in the NBA for the next 12-15 years...that would be hard to swallow
Old 02-19-2002, 02:03 PM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

actually, i don't think there's any guarantee that shaq would bring the mavs 2 rings.

nellie would bench shaq for wang because wang has the better outside shot and shaq would prematurely retire

in case you're wondering..this is a joke
Old 02-19-2002, 02:03 PM   #12
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

I do it in a heartbeat. I think a team should do any deal if it would move them to favorite to win it all. Even if for just a couple years. Think about it, this would be the best team the Mavs have had in their history. There are no guarantees they could ever get that good with Dirk. If you get an opportunity for the title then you have to take it. Even at the risk of sacrificing the future.
It would hurt to lose Dirk, but I trust Cuban's money, and Nellie's mind to rebuild this team pretty quickly after Shaq's retirement.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 02:05 PM   #13
Murphy3
Guru

yeah..like i said..i would have to do it..but with a very, very heavy heart
Old 02-19-2002, 02:39 PM   #14
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

There is no way I do that deal as long as the Shaq is gone in two years addendum is attached. Remove that and I spend a few sleepless nights struggling with the call.

Doc
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 03:42 PM   #15
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

I would have done it until you said he would retire in two years.. Knowing that Dirk is probably going to be around for atleast another five (barring injury)and playing at an extremely high level would make me believe we have a "chance" at winning a title or maybe many of them. Knowing Shaq would only come here for two years win two and he'd be out, I don't know... Now trade Shaq for Dirk without that potential of retirement, it's a done deal.
Old 02-19-2002, 03:49 PM   #16
Joe Joe
Banned

I don't see how Dirk's name is even mentioned in a trade for Shaq head up. Well for that matter, I don't see how anyones name is mentioned in a head up trade. I know this is not for real, but you it should've been Dirk and SOMEONE for Shaq. I think any team in the league would trade there 2 best players for the guy with the exception of Boston, Sacramento, and maybe Philly.
Old 02-19-2002, 03:53 PM   #17
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

The Lakers might trade Shaq if he only had 2 years left, but that's not the point. The point was whether it's worth giving up a fan favorite to get a championship.

To me it's a no-brainer, get the championship and then reload and try again.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 04:12 PM   #18
KEVIN_NY

KEVIN_NY is on a distinguished road

Ok, so everyone so far agrees to do it. Now let me throw in a revised version of the trade: Lakers ship Shaq and Fisher to Mavs for Dirk AND Nash, and Shaq retires in two years. Do you do it? 5 seconds.

The key issue is: Can (Shaq, Filey, Howard) beats (Kobe, Dirk, Nash), this year and next year in a 7 game series?
KEVIN_NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 05:34 PM   #19
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

Shaq and ANYONE can beat anyone in a seven game series. The point has been proven, look at the lakers record this year without Shaq 7-10. Of those seven wins, only two are against playoff caliber teams. Kobe still dominates which he would if he was on a team without Shaq of course, but it just goes to show you, Shaq opens it up for EVERYONE else.