Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 05-04-2012, 02:57 PM   #1
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future
Default R.I.P. Adam Yauch (MCA from Beastie Boys)

Quote:
May 4, 2012, 2:22 PM
Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys Dies
By JAMES C. MCKINLEY JR.

Marko Djurica/Reuters
Adam “MCA” Yauch
Adam Yauch, one of the founders of the seminal hip-hop group the Beastie Boys, has died of cancer at the age of 47, according to the Web site of the band’s publicist.

Mr. Yauch, who went by the moniker MCA, had been battling cancer since 2009, when a tumor was discovered in his salivary gland. He did not come to the Beastie Boys induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in April and his treatments for the illness forced the group to delay the release of their last album “Hot Sauce Committee, Pt. 2.”

Emerging from the hard-core punk scene in New York in the late 1970s, the Beastie Boys were the first white group to successfully sing rap songs and have remained popular for more than a quarter century. Mr. Yauch co-founded the group with Mike Diamond (Mike D) and Adam Horovitz (Ad-Rock) as a punk band in 1981 and first began experimenting with hip-hop the following year, when they released a 12-inch vinyl rap spoof “Cookie Puss.” All three were teenagers from affluent New York families when they met.

But in 1986, they crossed into the rap mainstream with “Licensed to Ill,” which was the first hip-hop album to hit No. 1 on the albums chart and featured hits like “(You Gotta) Fight for Your Right (to Party)” and “Brass Monkey.” It was just the first of a string of hit records, like 1989’s “Paul’s Boutique,” 1992’s “Check Your Head” and 1994’s “Ill Communication.”

Mr. Yauch (pronounced YOWK) was also involved in the movement to free Tibet and organized concerts for the cause in the late 1990s, and he and his band mates started an indie record label in the 1990s called Grand Royal. His interests also extended beyond music, particularly film. Under the name Nathanial Hörnblowér, he directed many of the Beastie Boys’ music videos and their 2006 concert film, which was shot by fans, while under his own name, he released “Gunnin’ for That #1 Spot,” a documentary about high school basketball players. (In 2004, Mr. Yauch, under the pseudonym Nathanial Hornblower, wrote a letter to The Times in response to a story about his music video, “Ch-Check It Out.”) And he started an independent film division of his company, Oscilloscope Laboratories, which has released critically acclaimed films like “Wendy and Lucy.”

When Ad-Rock and Mike D accepted the Beastie Boys’s induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame two weeks ago, they read a letter from Mr. Yauch thanking both his bandmates and the group’s fans. “I’d like to dedicate this to my brothers Adam and Mike,” he wrote. “They walked the globe with me. It’s also for anyone who has ever been touched by our band. This induction is as much ours as it is yours.”

Mr. Yauch is survived by his wife, Dechen Wangdu, and their daughter, Tenzin Losel Yauch.
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/20...tie-boys-dies/

Sad day. Junior Seau now MCA. It usually happens in 3s, I wonder who's next. (hopefully not though)

Last edited by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs; 05-04-2012 at 02:59 PM.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2012, 06:29 PM   #2
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

Nobody gives a shit on this board I guess. Buncha Chuck Norris loving rednecks here, my ass has more taste than most of you here. Fuck this board.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:50 PM   #3
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs View Post
Nobody gives a shit on this board I guess. Buncha Chuck Norris loving rednecks here, my ass has more taste than most of you here. Fuck this board.
Damn, man - so much anger over such a peaceful soul... Most posters on this site don't read threads in The Lounge.

Quote:
As I develop the awakening mind I praise the Buddha as they shine
I bow before you as I travel my path to join your ranks,
I make my full time task
For the sake of all beings I seek
The enlighted mind that I know I'll reap
Respect to Shantideva and all the others
Who brought down the Darma for sisters and brothers
I give thanks for this world as a place to learn
And for this human body that i'm glad to have earned
And my deepest thanks to all sentient beings
For without them there would be no place to learn what I'm seeing
There's nothing here that's not been said before
But I put it down now so I'll be sure
To solidify my own views and I'll be glad if it helps
Anyone else out too

If others disrespect me or give me flack
I'll stop and think before i react
Knowing that they're going through insecure stages
I'll take the opportunity to exercise patience
I'll see it as a chance to help the other person
Nip it in the bud before it can worsen
A change for me to be strong and sure
As I think on the Buddhas who have come before
As I praise and respect the good they've done
Knowing only love can conquer in every situation
We need other people in order to create
The circumstances for the learning that we're here to generate
Situations that bring up our deepest fears
So we can work to release them until they're cleared
Therefore, it only makes sense
To thank our enemies despite their intent

The Bodhisattva path is one of power and strength
A strength from within to go the length
Seeing others are as important as myself
I strive for a happiness of mental wealth
With the interconnectedness that we share as one
Every action that we take affects everyone
So in deciding for what a situation calls
There is a path for the good for all
I try to make my every action for that highest good
With the altruistic wish to achieve Buddhahood
So i pledge here before everyone who's listening
To try to make my every action for the good of all beings
For the rest of my lifetimes and even beyond
I vow to do my best to do no harm
And in times of doubt I can think on the Dharma
And the enlightened ones who've graduated Samsara

-- Bodhisattva Vow, Adam Yauch

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:17 PM   #4
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

I care. But I also love Chuck Norris. Is that okay? Please approve my opinion.

Last edited by Rhylan; 05-04-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:41 AM   #5
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure "Girls" made it's way on to one of my hand-crafted mix tapes back in Jr. High, but they quickly fell out of my wheel house.

Until today, I wasn't even aware they had gone on to do bigger and better things.

It always sucks when someone young dies.

(PS, I was going to add something smarmy like "Hey we can also use this thread for when someone from Run D.M.C. or The Fat Boys dies", but uh...indeed.)

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 05-05-2012 at 12:49 AM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:00 AM   #6
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

I hadn't visited the lounge since friday but this was devastating news to me, the beasties have been the soundtrack to my life, from childhood, adolescence, young adulthood, and beyond. I have been a huge fan ever since I could comprehend music. I am just crushed...
Old 05-07-2012, 09:04 AM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

In all honesty, he seemed like an ok guy. I hate it when anyone young dies especially from cancer.. I was saddened to hear of his passing although I couldn't tell you anything about the Beastie Boys other than that they sang Brass Monkey, something about partying, and... well, I've got nothing.

Last edited by Murphy3; 05-07-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote