Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-07-2006, 10:52 PM   #1
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Duncan versus the Mavs this year.

5-15 for 13 points, and 9 boards,

4-11 for 15 points, and 6 boards,

4-12 for 13 points, and 14 boards,

7-12 for 18 points, and 12 boards,

Duncan's numbers against the Mavs this year.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2006, 10:56 PM   #2
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

These numbers can't be right...Charles Barkley always told us that the Mavs couldn't slow down Duncan.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 11:00 PM   #3
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Makes the season split even more disappointing.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:03 PM   #4
WraithXx
Diamond Member

WraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant future

so does playing on one leg (all of our effing mothereffing injuries)
Old 04-07-2006, 11:04 PM   #5
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

He's getting old and his feet hurt. I could only listen to the game on the internet, but it sounded like we covered him with centers, and a somewhat limited double team. Its that DT that opens the lane for Parker. Is that why the Mavs were able to keep his penetration in check?
Old 04-07-2006, 11:13 PM   #6
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I hate to say it, because I do have a certain respect for players like Duncan--even if I hate them--but I'm not sure Josh Powell wouldn't have been more effective for the Spurs tonight than Duncan was. Something is wrong with Duncan, that's for sure.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 11:20 PM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard it repeatedly that his foot problem doesn't really have much of an impact on his play except for on back to backs.

I honestly think that Duncan has passed his prime. He's still damned close to it, but not quite there on the top of his game anymore. I don't think he'll ever be as dominating as he once was.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:27 PM   #8
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

The situation is what it is and kudos to the Mavs for capitalizing but that Tim Duncan is not Tim Duncan, MVP. He's not even undoubtedly the best player for the Spurs when he's on the court so it defintely is not the traditional Tim Duncan that comes to mind.

Whether it's age or injuries, we don't know. His play has picked up some over the last couple of weeks but I don't think it will be back to regular TD status in 10 days.

Either way, we'll take it.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 11:29 PM   #9
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
I've heard it repeatedly that his foot problem doesn't really have much of an impact on his play except for on back to backs.

I honestly think that Duncan has passed his prime. He's still damned close to it, but not quite there on the top of his game anymore. I don't think he'll ever be as dominating as he once was.
Agreed, and I think what you are saying is that that window is C-L-O-S-I-N-G. They've got this year, and maybe next, to win it with their team as currently constructed. Anything past that, and Duncan becomes a late Karl Malone.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:33 PM   #10
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

They know it, too.

That's what the attempted Brent Barry for JR Smith trade was about. They defintely need to get younger and more athletic if they hope to compete long-term. The playoff schedule will help them out some but their B2B record is a tell-tell sign of a creaky team that can not forget to take their vitamins everyday.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 11:33 PM   #11
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Agreed, and I think what you are saying is that that window is C-L-O-S-I-N-G. They've got this year, and maybe next, to win it with their team as currently constructed. Anything past that, and Duncan becomes a late Karl Malone.
Yep.

The beauty is, the Mavs will still have their window wide open in 2 years -- and a title or two to boot.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:49 PM   #12
Murphy3
Guru

What needs to happen is that Dirk needs to steadily develop his low post game so that he'll have that to fall back on a bit once he's slowing down. He could theoretically stay at a top 5 player in the league level for 5-6 more years to come.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:54 PM   #13
chumdawg
Guru

Why don't the Mavericks *already* put Dirk in the low post? By now we have all seen the elbow post played to death. But hell, he sometimes posts at the three-point line! Why don't they ever put him under the basket? It is because they have no one to get him the ball there?
Old 04-07-2006, 11:58 PM   #14
Murphy3
Guru

We do see it some, but definitely not against SA and not nearly as much as what we did earlier in the season. It's usually when he's playing against a bigger defender.

One of the reasons why he posts up further away from the bucket is that it gives him a little more room on the drive.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:16 AM   #15
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

I might sound crazy for saying this, but I use to think Duncan's "traditional" game was going to catch up to him sooner rather than later. Unfortunately, it turned out to be a lot later than I thought, but I've always felt his game was a bit too, how should I say, Kevin Mchalish, or in another word, outdated. So, I think it might not be injuries nor that he has passed his prime, but it may just be that the league has passed him. I know, I'm in the minority with this one. : )

edited for clarification..

Last edited by jleefilled; 04-08-2006 at 03:48 PM.
jleefilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 12:54 AM   #16
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

He definately looked like a bum out there for the first 3 quarters. Diop and Dampier were actually contaning him and i'm not sure if that if it was because of their play or if it was because of Duncan. Maybe the Mavs deserve more credit for Duncan's bad play against them but he does look a step slow. There were times where he was passing up open shots. That's not Duncan.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 06:09 AM   #17
Stranger
Golden Member

Stranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to all

Duncan is averaging an anemic 16.3 points and 10.1 boards per after the all-star break. I've always been a big fan of his game (as much as I hate the Spurs), and I can't fathom what's wrong with him. As a Mavs fan, though, it's great. How tough can a team be if it features Tony Parker as its best player?
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 11:11 PM   #18
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

i despise charles barkley..he sounds like an idiot.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote