Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-06-2016, 09:49 PM   #1
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Who are these "younger, more athletic guys" you speak of? I mean, have you even looked at the FA list? It's mostly veterans looking for a big payday when the cap spikes... Also, isn't literally every team in the league looking to get "younger and more athletic"? Those words ring hollow if the talent isn't there (not to mention high BBIQ and the right attitude...)

What it sounds like is that you're ready to punt the rest of Dirk's career so we can start rebuilding... And I can understand that, as a fan, but I seriously doubt that's what the face of the franchise had in mind when he took a giant paycut.
In middle of watching game. I don't have free agent list in front of me, but please, it would be hard to find somebody to sign who's older than CV. I'm not saying turn the entire roster over, but let Parsons and CV walk. Parsons is not worth a max deal, and I find the "recruiter" argument laughable. I'd prefer to play Justin Anderson instead to add some more athleticism and defense to go with Dirk. I really don't mind our centers. I'd still like to see McGee get some minutes now that he's healthy, but that's unlikely. Mavs could turn over 4 spots and still be a playoff team shooting for 5-8 seed and roll into 2017 with draft picks and possibly better free agent options. I'm not against sitting back and letting everybody else blow out the new salary cap next year, especially considering the caliber of free agents likely to sign with Dallas.

Last edited by turin; 04-06-2016 at 09:50 PM.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:12 PM   #2
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
In middle of watching game. I don't have free agent list in front of me, but please, it would be hard to find somebody to sign who's older than CV. I'm not saying turn the entire roster over, but let Parsons and CV walk. Parsons is not worth a max deal, and I find the "recruiter" argument laughable. I'd prefer to play Justin Anderson instead to add some more athleticism and defense to go with Dirk. I really don't mind our centers. I'd still like to see McGee get some minutes now that he's healthy, but that's unlikely. Mavs could turn over 4 spots and still be a playoff team shooting for 5-8 seed and roll into 2017 with draft picks and possibly better free agent options. I'm not against sitting back and letting everybody else blow out the new salary cap next year, especially considering the caliber of free agents likely to sign with Dallas.
You make some excellent points in a vacuum, but check out the FA list and get back to me... I mean, I'm definitely not going to argue with you about CV, but if you cross your requirements of "young + athletic" with my requirements of "talented + high BBIQ + right attitude" and factor in likelihood of landing said player, then Candler Parsons rates damn near at the top of the list.

If he can bring Howard here, then I can't really think of a better scenario for this offseason... I mean, we still have Anderson under contract through 2019, and I'd love to see what something like ??/Wes/Simba/Pasrons/Howard looks like while Dirk catches his breath. McGee is out, but I could see Mejri possibly edging out Zaza for a backup spot to Howard, based on price vs potential. Just depends on how he finishes out the season/playoffs.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:08 AM   #3
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah if you let Parsons walk and start Anderson where are you going to get offense? We can't expect JJ to put up 27 a night as a season average. This slow pace grind it out style is hard on a 37 year old Dirk to find good looks according to RC. We are winning games by holding teams under 90. And they aren't exactly the top of the west teams. We desperately need some offense so if you don't resign Parsons where are you getting offense from free agency? Because the popular names of Deng and Batum are not going to give what Parsons does. And based off what I read a month ago Batum was going to get a big pay day as well, despite being less versatile and not as good offensively as Parsons. I'm open to options but we aren't going to get a RFA like Barnes with the cap shooting up. And in today's nba who in free agency has Parsons versatility? I just don't see a lot of options that look better.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 06:31 PM   #4
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
You make some excellent points in a vacuum, but check out the FA list and get back to me... I mean, I'm definitely not going to argue with you about CV, but if you cross your requirements of "young + athletic" with my requirements of "talented + high BBIQ + right attitude" and factor in likelihood of landing said player, then Candler Parsons rates damn near at the top of the list.

If he can bring Howard here, then I can't really think of a better scenario for this offseason... I mean, we still have Anderson under contract through 2019, and I'd love to see what something like ??/Wes/Simba/Pasrons/Howard looks like while Dirk catches his breath. McGee is out, but I could see Mejri possibly edging out Zaza for a backup spot to Howard, based on price vs potential. Just depends on how he finishes out the season/playoffs.
Okay, I'm not going to argue with you because I get your point, and for the most part I agree with it; however, I should have been a bit clearer, I meant YOUNGER. Yeah, young guys, very athletic with potential really aren't out there and everybody wants them. Well, except for the Mavs... err, Aminu, Crowder... Yeah, we'd have had to give up an older veteran to keep them, but then the team would be younger. Everybody has negatives, even high first round draft choices. When you've still got a guy like CV on the roster, what's the risk of going with a younger guy for the sake of getting younger?

In the end, we're splitting hairs. The Mavs' poor draft history, coupled with their historical carelessness with draft picks and the inability to land a franchise free agent will have them stuck in the middle until Dirk retires. Maybe that's why I'm aggravated at Carlisle for not playing McGee more. He's healthier than he's been in years and shows flashes, so what the hell is there to lose if he plays more? First round exit? That's pretty much a given, but if they can catch lightening in a bottle with a couple of guys (Anderson and Mejri fit that bill imo) then they could surprise. JJB stepping up and Wes's improved play are very encouraging. Lee is a nice pickup. Still, there is a need for more shot blocker minutes. That's why I think McGee, though a longshot to make a big splash, is still the best risk to take as far as finding a little bit more magic on the existing roster.

Last edited by turin; 04-07-2016 at 06:32 PM.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 05:14 AM   #5
Thebo

Thebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
Maybe that's why I'm aggravated at Carlisle for not playing McGee more. He's healthier than he's been in years and shows flashes, so what the hell is there to lose if he plays more? First round exit? That's pretty much a given, but if they can catch lightening in a bottle with a couple of guys (Anderson and Mejri fit that bill imo) then they could surprise.

That's why I think McGee, though a longshot to make a big splash, is still the best risk to take as far as finding a little bit more magic on the existing roster.
The problem with McGee? I think Carlisle likes to see pick and roll offense, especially from backup bigs. Thing is, McGee can rarely set a decent pick where on-ball defenders runs into him. More often than not, McGee sets a pick and already rolls to the basket before on-ball defender is anywhere near him. Seriously, how low your basketball IQ has to be to not set a decent pick?

BUT talking about Dwight Howard. I don't think max contract is what he wants the most. Sure, he wants to get max but a ring - or at least competing for it - is by far more valuable for where he is now. I like the idea signing him. People should not be concerned so much of how to get him to Dallas and who has to leave because of him. It would be nice if someone would show his possible and realistic destinations this offseason. I understand that cap goes up and pretty much everyone can offer him max but I don't think he has any interest in ending up in a situation where he is now - barely competing for playoff spot. In terms of discussing Howard, we should talk more about which teams are actually in the running to get him.

For what it's worth, I think Howard leaving Houston is much more set in stone than him getting a max deal anywhere else. He wouldn't be asking for max contracts if money is what he really is after. It could very well be that D-Will is able to get him to Dallas and make happen what was supposed to be oh so long time ago. I'm sure both of these guys have had thoughts about what ifs. This would be biggest selling pitch Mavs could put together this offseason. Besides, I'm not sure D-Will would be able to get starting PG job in any decent team other than the Mavs...
Thebo is offline   Reply With Quote