Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-27-2022, 02:35 PM   #281
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Whether Tim went to the Pels or not is missing the point. Point is, there was a team willing to pay more than us. And I don't think Tim is as good as either DFS or Brunson obviously.

But you're still thinking in Mavs logic land as if the other teams don't exist. And S&T possibilities only exist if Brunson is hell bent on going to an over the cap team. Neither Brunson or DFS need our permission to sign contracts with other teams.
I dint think it's missing the point if we are talking about a players value, and that's not just value to us. THJ isn't near a value at 20m this season. He wasn't before we signed him either the mavs just misread the talent and fit. That relates to JB and Dfs because we could be right back in the same boat starting next year but locked into 3/4 yr deals with 3 or 4 guys that have difficult contracts to trade but we aren't any better.

We aren't a contender as constructed. Signing ourself out of a possible trade later by overpaying Jb or Dfs isn't going to help. It will help us stay as good as we are, if we are into first round exits. I'm in favor of paying lux to keep contenders together.

The FO has big decisions because we can't afford to just have them walk either.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2022, 02:52 PM   #282
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
I dint think it's missing the point if we are talking about a players value, and that's not just value to us. THJ isn't near a value at 20m this season. He wasn't before we signed him either the mavs just misread the talent and fit. That relates to JB and Dfs because we could be right back in the same boat starting next year but locked into 3/4 yr deals with 3 or 4 guys that have difficult contracts to trade but we aren't any better.

We aren't a contender as constructed. Signing ourself out of a possible trade later by overpaying Jb or Dfs isn't going to help. It will help us stay as good as we are, if we are into first round exits. I'm in favor of paying lux to keep contenders together.

The FO has big decisions because we can't afford to just have them walk either.
Then we need to seriously consider trading them because again, THJ was worth 88 million to another team. And I'd put a large bet DFS and especially Brunson are worth quite a bit to other teams.

I agree about not being contenders, but I am curious to see how we play without black hole THJ. Just a relief to see Bullock break out against Portland.

As of right now though, yes, we are not contenders. We'd be in a MUUUUUCH better situation if Brunson was restricted.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 03:26 PM   #283
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Then we need to seriously consider trading them because again, THJ was worth 88 million to another team. And I'd put a large bet DFS and especially Brunson are worth quite a bit to other teams.

I agree about not being contenders, but I am curious to see how we play without black hole THJ. Just a relief to see Bullock break out against Portland.

As of right now though, yes, we are not contenders. We'd be in a MUUUUUCH better situation if Brunson was restricted.

I am curious to see how we play without THJ too. Green and Frank should get a lot of those minutes. Bullock has turned it around and I'm thankful, but I'm all about the growth of potential 2 way guys. Green and Frank have that potential.

I'm really happy with Kidd overall, but I'd like the rotation to loosen back up and get the kids back out there.

Chriss needs some of Maxi and DP minutes
Frank and Green needs THJ minutes (even when THJ is healthy)

Old 01-27-2022, 04:39 PM   #284
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Brunson + THJ for Grant also works. If the Pistons are serious about getting Cade some help they must consider that.
Old 01-27-2022, 05:02 PM   #285
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
Brunson + THJ for Grant also works. If the Pistons are serious about getting Cade some help they must consider that.
I do that in a second. Mavs issue is they don't have a first round pick to trade until the Cylons attack, so I think that is likely a major hurdle for teams.

Old 01-27-2022, 05:47 PM   #286
SMC0007
Guru

I'd be all over that trade too.

THJ for a bag of funyons, much less in a deal that brings back actual talent.... good dude n all.

Old 01-27-2022, 06:13 PM   #287
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'd be all over that trade too.

THJ for a bag of funyons, much less in a deal that brings back actual talent.... good dude n all.
Agreed. Hate to lose JB, but gotta give something to gain something.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 08:35 AM   #288
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

When asked about Jalen Brunson’s pending free agency and potential trade market, Begley stated the Knicks ‘have at least touched base’ with the Mavericks about Brunson. Begley also mentioned there’s at least one more team willing to make him an offer ‘north of $20 million’ in free agency. “Jalen Brunson, for many different reasons, has been on the Knick radar for a while now. He’s got plenty of connections to the Knicks. So I know the Knicks, at the very least, have touched based with Dallas on Brunson and I can’t tell you what it would take to pry Brunson from Dallas from a Knick perspective. I’m not sure on that.
Old 01-28-2022, 09:14 AM   #289
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Brunson has to go. He's great, but he's been exposed vs. the Clippers in the playoffs multiple times. Paying that much for an undersized point guard just doesn't work in the NBA. We are absolutely hamstringing ourselves if we hand him that contract. I would try my best to pair him with the THJ contract (which may not be as unappealing as we've assumed given that his salary declines in each of the next three seasons).
Old 01-28-2022, 10:07 AM   #290
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/ins...-edition-court

You can see the line right before you have to pay. "The Brunson flight risk is real, sources say."

Here is the big concern...

When have the Mavs been good at FA? Are we really confident that they can pull off keeping both of them this offseason regardless of price?

Old 01-28-2022, 10:24 AM   #291
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
Brunson has to go. He's great, but he's been exposed vs. the Clippers in the playoffs multiple times. Paying that much for an undersized point guard just doesn't work in the NBA. We are absolutely hamstringing ourselves if we hand him that contract. I would try my best to pair him with the THJ contract (which may not be as unappealing as we've assumed given that his salary declines in each of the next three seasons).
Paying that much for an undersized 2 guard really, and that's the issue for me. He's a starter but if he were 6'4'' or so it would be a much better fit. Someone who needs a starting PG would be fine paying 20m+ for him and I think he would be great in that role.

It's not just the Clipps that he struggled against, any teams that have long wings have given him problems. Granted he is just better this season and has done nothing but grow and improve since he got in the league.

I won't hate it if we end up keeping him at around 20-22m but it wouldn't be my first option.

Last edited by SMC0007; 01-28-2022 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-28-2022, 11:17 AM   #292
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Paying that much for an undersized 2 guard really, and that's the issue for me. He's a starter but if he were 6'4'' or so it would be a much better fit. Someone who needs a starting PG would be fine paying 20m+ for him and I think he would be great in that role.

It's not just the Clipps that he struggled against, any teams that have long wings have given him problems. Granted he is just better this season and has done nothing but grow and improve since he got in the league.

I won't hate it if we end up keeping him at around 20-22m but it wouldn't be my first option.
If Brunson was a three point shooter, then this is a no-brainer. I want to keep him, but I get the issue of paying him big bucks.

He does a lot of what Luka already does which is scoring cleverly around the basket. He seems to have a better mid range shot than Luka though.

And again, I think it's going to be more like 100 million for Brunson. Knicks are going to try hard to get him.

Old 01-28-2022, 12:28 PM   #293
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
If Brunson was a three point shooter, then this is a no-brainer. I want to keep him, but I get the issue of paying him big bucks.

He does a lot of what Luka already does which is scoring cleverly around the basket. He seems to have a better mid range shot than Luka though.

And again, I think it's going to be more like 100 million for Brunson. Knicks are going to try hard to get him.
I haven't looked into what salaries are dropping off for the Knicks after this season but they are over the cap iirc. If they can't afford him this offseason , I guess they need to pony up RJ or something of value.

Old 01-28-2022, 12:54 PM   #294
BPo001
Diamond Member

Quote:
I haven't looked into what salaries are dropping off for the Knicks after this season but they are over the cap iirc. If they can't afford him this offseason , I guess they need to pony up RJ or something of value.
Sounds like Randle can be had at the right price along with Kemba, Fournier, and Burks.

ESPN’s Brian Windhorst reported Thursday that New York is looking to deal its more experienced players to make room for its younger stars. “In conversations this week with teams, the Knicks have expressed a willingness to trade some of their veteran players,” Windhorst said on NBA Today. “That includes Kemba Walker, Evan Fournier, Alec Burks, guys like this.” 8 hours ago – via Doric Sam @ Bleacher Report
Old 01-28-2022, 02:10 PM   #295
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/ins...-edition-court

You can see the line right before you have to pay. "The Brunson flight risk is real, sources say."

Here is the big concern...

When have the Mavs been good at FA? Are we really confident that they can pull off keeping both of them this offseason regardless of price?
I think the idea of Mavs being good/bad at free agency is a total misread of the situation. When the Mavs know what their guys want and are willing to pay them that, I can name on two fingers times when we lost players via free agency in the last 20-25 years. One was nash almost 20 years ago. The other was Cuban being unwilling to give his championship team long-term contracts (and he didn't know they were a championship team during the season so he didn't have the option of a mid-year dump)

If we are willing to pay both what they are asking, I think there's a 100% (or near-100%) chance we swing it. The problem is that we may not be willing. We have only four options:

1)Option 1 - we let Brunson/DFS walk. We're still over the cap and down that much talent. We aren't clearing cap space to sign someone else. We're over either way.

2) Option 2 - If we re-sign both to 15-20 a year, then we're WAY over the tax threshold and paying the luxury tax for a team that has yet to even sniff the second round of the playoffs.

3) Option 3 - we make some trades to clear salary and keep DFS/Brunson. We're above the cap but below the luxury tax.

4) Option 4 - we trade Brunson and/or DFS for something else

Mavs have a tough choice ahead. The only thing they can't afford to do is option 1.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 01-28-2022 at 02:13 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 02:21 PM   #296
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
I think the idea of Mavs being good/bad at free agency is a total misread of the situation. When the Mavs know what their guys want and are willing to pay them that, I can name on two fingers times when we lost players via free agency in the last 20-25 years. One was nash almost 20 years ago. The other was Cuban being unwilling to give his championship team long-term contracts (and he didn't know they were a championship team during the season so he didn't have the option of a mid-year dump)

If we are willing to pay both what they are asking, I think there's a 100% (or near-100%) chance we swing it. The problem is that we may not be willing. We have only four options:

1)Option 1 - we let Brunson/DFS walk. We're still over the cap and down that much talent. We aren't clearing cap space to sign someone else. We're over either way.

2) Option 2 - If we re-sign both to 15-20 a year, then we're WAY over the tax threshold and paying the luxury tax for a team that has yet to even sniff the second round of the playoffs.

3) Option 3 - we make some trades to clear salary and keep DFS/Brunson. We're above the cap but below the luxury tax.

4) Option 4 - we trade Brunson and/or DFS for something else

Mavs have a tough choice ahead. The only thing they can't afford to do is option 1.
It doesn't seem likely for JB to re-sign here for 20m if 25m might be offered elsewhere. Especially if he can go run a S5 unit. That's 20m over 4 years he could miss out on. But who knows.

So option 2 seems unlikely. No way we can go that far over for both when as mentioned, we aren't contenders as constructed.

Maybe moving Maxi and one of them puts us close enough to keep the other this offseason. The TDL is quickly approaching and it shouldn't surprises anyone if no moves are made and we whip out the dice this offseason regarding both JB and DFS.

Old 01-28-2022, 03:07 PM   #297
DannyFortsonBakedPotato
Banned

DannyFortsonBakedPotato is infamous around these partsDannyFortsonBakedPotato is infamous around these partsDannyFortsonBakedPotato is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
Sounds like Randle can be had at the right price along with Kemba, Fournier, and Burks.

ESPN’s Brian Windhorst reported Thursday that New York is looking to deal its more experienced players to make room for its younger stars. “In conversations this week with teams, the Knicks have expressed a willingness to trade some of their veteran players,” Windhorst said on NBA Today. “That includes Kemba Walker, Evan Fournier, Alec Burks, guys like this.” 8 hours ago – via Doric Sam @ Bleacher Report
Lol, we ain't trading Brunson for Kemba, Fournier, or Burks. Would have to be something centered around Barrett and/or Mitchell Robinson.
DannyFortsonBakedPotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 03:49 PM   #298
BPo001
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyFortsonBakedPotato View Post
Lol, we ain't trading Brunson for Kemba, Fournier, or Burks. Would have to be something centered around Barrett and/or Mitchell Robinson.
Never said they were. Just saying the Knicks have made those guys available.
Old 01-28-2022, 04:06 PM   #299
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It doesn't seem likely for JB to re-sign here for 20m if 25m might be offered elsewhere. Especially if he can go run a S5 unit. That's 20m over 4 years he could miss out on. But who knows.

So option 2 seems unlikely. No way we can go that far over for both when as mentioned, we aren't contenders as constructed.

Maybe moving Maxi and one of them puts us close enough to keep the other this offseason. The TDL is quickly approaching and it shouldn't surprises anyone if no moves are made and we whip out the dice this offseason regarding both JB and DFS.
We absolutely CAN sign JB to 20m, but yeah, it might not be smart to pay him that much unless he's a starter. I do think he's a perfect starter next to Doncic. When your PG is 6'8", it's fine to have a 6'0" SG.
Old 01-28-2022, 04:14 PM   #300
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Nvm, Stein just shot it down. Oh twitter.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 01-28-2022 at 04:16 PM.
Old 01-28-2022, 05:06 PM   #301
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
We absolutely CAN sign JB to 20m, but yeah, it might not be smart to pay him that much unless he's a starter. I do think he's a perfect starter next to Doncic. When your PG is 6'8", it's fine to have a 6'0" SG.
I think SMC was saying Brunson could likely get more elsewhere so he might not settle at 20m/per.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 05:11 PM   #302
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saclare View Post
I think SMC was saying Brunson could likely get more elsewhere so he might not settle at 20m/per.
Brunson ain't getting 25 a year, though.
Old 01-28-2022, 05:27 PM   #303
SMC0007
Guru

I don't think JB will get 25m either but never say never. I was originally saying I wouldn't pay him that much.

As far as fit, I don't think it's exactly perfect because he's not a great defender, he's passable... but at a certain price. IMO. On offense, long wingspans effect him more than I'd like. If he can carry what he's done this season so far into the playoffs then we are a little better than last year. Still not good enough unless our shooters hit open shots. That doesn't all fall on Brunson but if he and Doncic get guys open looks then Brunson drive and score effectiveness is more important.

Old 01-28-2022, 05:53 PM   #304
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

As long as Mavs offer JB 20m, I don’t see him as the type to leave because someone offered 22m.

I think he’s a nearly perfect fit because we already have a big guard with Luka. Now if they were both little ala Dame/CJ, then I would say you have to trade Brunson.
Old 01-28-2022, 06:19 PM   #305
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Making decisions or coming to conclusions on Brunson’s abilities based on one playoff series is dumb af. This is like when Steve Nash had to go because Mike Bibby scored some points.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 08:50 PM   #306
tap2390
Diamond Member

Nobody wants Brunson to walk for nothing the same way Nash did. That's one reason we want to trade him now. The second reason is he plays the same position as Luka. The third reason is he's undersized.
Old 01-28-2022, 10:04 PM   #307
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
As long as Mavs offer JB 20m, I don’t see him as the type to leave because someone offered 22m.

I think he’s a nearly perfect fit because we already have a big guard with Luka. Now if they were both little ala Dame/CJ, then I would say you have to trade Brunson.
I wonder if Brunson has aspirations to be the main PG on a different team.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 10:44 PM   #308
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
I wonder if Brunson has aspirations to be the main PG on a different team.
Yep, it's not just about money, but I still be he gets a bigger than 20 mil per offer.

Old 01-29-2022, 06:07 AM   #309
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yep, it's not just about money, but I still be he gets a bigger than 20 mil per offer.
Yeah, he might be a good fit for us, but we might not be a good fit for him.
I think he is gone if we aren't the highest bidder.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 02:28 PM   #310
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Stein still firm that the Mavs aren't trading Brunson or DFS. Deadlines make deals, but I still doubt anything happens.

Still weird to think the FO is willing to go into the tax for those two.

Old 01-31-2022, 05:54 PM   #311
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Stein still firm that the Mavs aren't trading Brunson or DFS. Deadlines make deals, but I still doubt anything happens.

Maybe a Maxi with some small package. But they have to do something. Still 5th/6th seed with same roster of 3 years.
Old 01-31-2022, 06:27 PM   #312
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I don’t know about Cuban, but the pandemic has been good for most billionaires.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 07:24 PM   #313
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive View Post
I don’t know about Cuban, but the pandemic has been good for most billionaires.
LOL I doubt Cuban has had money issues since he became a billionaire, but that didn't stop him from avoiding the tax for 10 years straight.

Old 01-31-2022, 08:43 PM   #314
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:

I don't see any moves happening. We are a little too good to shake up and Cuban is too close to these guys. That seems like a Cuban recipe to roll into the playoffs with rose colored glasses.

There's no way we pay both guys this offseason. No way. Especially after a 1st rnd exit. We would have to go real deep in the playoffs before he ponies up for 2 non-stars.

My only hope is that Nico can make magic happen before the TDL and part of that magic consists of actually being able to sell Cuban on the idea.

Old 01-31-2022, 09:09 PM   #315
BPo001
Diamond Member

Dallas is exploring potential roster upgrades through this route, but sources say acquiring Boston’s Dennis Schröder — whose expiring $5.9 million salary would fit comfortably into the exception created by trading Josh Richardson to the Celtics in July — is not in the club’s plans. – via Marc Stein
—————-
Brunson has thus far been resistant to accepting the four-year, $56 million extension that Dallas can offer him through June. The estimated $56 million figure is the most the Mavericks can offer Brunson working off his bargain $1.8 million salary in the final year of Brunson’s original four-year deal. The former Villanova star, who for the last two seasons has proven to be the most reliable Maverick not from Slovenia, is said to want more … something in the $18 million range annually. – via Marc Stein

Dallas doesn’t want to trade Brunson or Finney-Smith. Yet it’s a stance that comes with risk, since both players can become unrestricted free agents this summer. The Mavericks, to this point, have nonetheless rebuffed external trade interest in the two players rival teams by far covet most. League sources say there are no active trade discussions between the Mavericks and the New York Knicks, for example, despite the Knicks’ well-chronicled interest in luring Brunson to Gotham. I’m told that the oft-suggested notion of trading Brunson to the Knicks to reacquire the 2023 first-round pick owed to New York to complete the Kristaps Porziņģis trade is not currently under consideration in Dallas. The Mavericks regard Brunson as too vital to this season’s aspirations to trade him and retain the belief that he wants to be a Maverick long-term.
———————-
It is believed that Dragic would be bought out by the team that acquires him should a trade materialize (assuming that team is making the deal for payroll-related reasons). In that case, Dallas would indeed be a front-runner to sign the former All-Star, given his close relationship with fellow Slovenian Doncic, but sources say that multiple teams are expected to pursue Dragic if he indeed lands on the buyout market as widely anticipated. – via TalkBasket

Last edited by BPo001; 01-31-2022 at 09:10 PM.
Old 01-31-2022, 09:18 PM   #316
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

I guess the good news is being over the cap means they don't have to worry about cap space. Might as well sign them to whatever they want if tax isn't a concern.

Old 02-01-2022, 07:16 AM   #317
Melonhead
Guru

Dragic seems to be Miami’s unless they don’t want him.

He’s working out in Miami, he’s also going to Miami games.
Old 02-01-2022, 08:31 AM   #318
BPo001
Diamond Member

Tim MacMahon: I have been assured that they will not move (Jalen) Brunson before the trade deadline unless it is, and I quote, a “What the bleep are they thinking type of offer?” – via Spotify
Top Rumors, Trade, Jalen Brunson, Dallas Mavericks

Tim MacMahon: This I know: Jalen Brunson’s preference would be to stay in Dallas. He ain’t taking a discount to do it. He wants to get paid, period. Preferably in Dallas. I’ve asked around about that, I feel like I’ve got very strong information there. – via Spotify
Old 02-01-2022, 08:35 AM   #319
BPo001
Diamond Member

Zach Lowe: The thing on Brunson is I wouldn’t mess around too much if I were the Mavs. That’s all I’ll say. I wouldn’t be too cute with the negotiating. I wouldn’t be too cute based on what I’ve heard. – via Spotify
Free Agency, Jalen Brunson, Dallas Mavericks

Zach Lowe: I’ve heard competing intel on Brunson. How scared they are that Brunson is going to leave in free agency. Let’s put it that way. There are some teams who are telling me, ‘Well, the Mavs are projecting confidence that Brunson is going to stay, they have the means to to re-sign Brunson.’ – via Spotify
Free Agency, Jalen Brunson, Dallas Mavericks

Tim MacMahon: (Marc) Stein has reported this and I’ve heard the same, that the Myles Turner stuff is not something that the Mavs are pursuing at this point. – via Spotify
Old 02-01-2022, 09:12 AM   #320
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
Dragic seems to be Miami’s unless they don’t want him.

He’s working out in Miami, he’s also going to Miami games.
They can't re-sign him unless Toronto trades him somewhere else, and then he's bought out or waived.

I think we actually have our boy Stackhouse to thank for that rule.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote