Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-06-2007, 12:14 PM   #81
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male26Dan
I guess I mean agression with his shot more so than overall aggression. Yes, he is still attacking the rim but he is not allowing himself to find a rhythm with his jumpshot. You think it is because Avery has told him DONT SHOOT - ATTACK THE BASKET. I think it is because he is Fed up in the head right now and has no confidence. So when he is in shooting situations he doesn't force anything and when he is in driving situations he does, often leading to blocked shots and 5 second staring matches at the refs while the other team runs down the court playing 5 on 4.

Dirk is a shooter and he needs to shoot the ball more to be effective. Sure, getting to the line and driving has its purposes too, and he was really good at that a couple of years ago and still darn good the past two years but he just doesn't get the calls consistently so I am just constantly begging him to make them hurt him with his shot.

Do you remember those 4 3s in that game. While not necessarily 3s, he used to do that all the time. Just catch and shoot and swish. How often do you see him make 3 or 4 straight shots these days.

It is just really frustrating as such a huge fan of his to see him playing this way and letting the double-teams define his production rather than getting in position, catching, and shooting.

Maybe he isn't coasting, but his lack of shooter's agression gives me that feeling.
This I can agree with, that he's not looking for his shot nearly as much as he should. He does also seem to be confused about what to do with the double teams. In fact the whole team doesn't seem to have figured out how to handle that one, except pass it around for a 3pt attempt (yuck).
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2007, 12:35 PM   #82
skylive321

skylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really nice

What u all fail to realize is that Devin, Terry, and Howard are all of a sudden better because of Dirk.. With dirik being Doubled and drawing all the attention not to be left alone, its opening doors for the rest. But, low IQ basketball fans would watch and ask, WHY ISNT HE STEPPING UP... HE IS stepping up. but in a different way that u would like. u want him to march in there like kobe, break down the first, second player that come to double him and take it to the hoop and jam it. Well, i say to you pay closer attn to the game and watch dirks' actions.
skylive321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 12:51 PM   #83
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

Teams have figured out that Dirk spins while trying to get closer to the basket. He gets stripped of the ball alot and Dirk knows this. Dirk is very good at the low post fadaway however. Maybe Avery needs to go back and look at some Dirk with Nellie.
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 12:51 PM   #84
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylive321
What u all fail to realize is that Devin, Terry, and Howard are all of a sudden better because of Dirk.. With dirik being Doubled and drawing all the attention not to be left alone, its opening doors for the rest. But, low IQ basketball fans would watch and ask, WHY ISNT HE STEPPING UP... HE IS stepping up. but in a different way that u would like. u want him to march in there like kobe, break down the first, second player that come to double him and take it to the hoop and jam it. Well, i say to you pay closer attn to the game and watch dirks' actions.
I assume that was directed at me.

With that said, F#$% you.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:56 PM   #85
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
As far as your content is concerned all Superstars make those around them better. That and a new watch comes with the title.

That doesn't mean you have to allow others to toss brick after brick up before straping your cape on, tossing your glasses off, and becoming the superman we have seen him become. Last night was a big game. He shot 11 times. He had 15 points. I am happy that Josh and Devin are both improving their games and, obviously, Dirk is going to take a scoring hit if they start shooting more and things like that. With that said, when the team really needs him late in a game and he has shot 10 times all game and he is a rhythm shooter, how do we expect him to be able to make the 3 from the corner to win the game?

He needs to be aggressive all game long and shoot more. He will get in a rhythm, he will be ready for late game heroics, and we can see this Clark Kent version go the F away.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:57 PM   #86
Spurs817

Spurs817 is infamous around these partsSpurs817 is infamous around these partsSpurs817 is infamous around these parts

you know guys when I saw that there was a possibility that you could've traded dirk for kobe I couldn't believe you didn't jump at that, I mean it's frikin Kobe. Kobe's a mentally tuff leader who's won championships , with shaq obviously, but verus a cupcake like dirk?
Spurs817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 12:58 PM   #87
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs817
you know guys when I saw that there was a possibility that you could've traded dirk for kobe I couldn't believe you didn't jump at that, I mean it's frikin Kobe. Kobe's a mentally tuff leader who's won championships , with shaq obviously, but verus a cupcake like dirk?
*Line reissue alert*

Look, I turned his box red.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 12:59 PM   #88
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs817
Would you please go fix the potholes in the earthquake-hit disaster zone known as your coach's face and get the hell off of this board.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:09 PM   #89
juckie

juckie will become famous soon enoughjuckie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsfan1000
Stackhouse is the problem with this team. Found this off dallasbasketball.com.
Amen brother!!!!!
juckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:10 PM   #90
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
They are better, or they should be better? You have to make your shots after Dirk gets doubled first.

Also, I agree with Male. Even on a double, I can name about 5 guys max in this league that Dirk could not shoot right over--not to mention if he was fading away.

Plus as was said earlier, there are no cutters on this team, which only gives Dirk the option of passing cross court, back out, but not down the middle.

Dirk is the reigning MVP. He should be scoring more than 20 points a game. We are not always treating him like an MVP caliber player. The Mavs are leaning towards a team-game, and straying away from what makes us special in the first place: Dirk.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:18 PM   #91
skylive321

skylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty
They are better, or they should be better? You have to make your shots after Dirk gets doubled first.

Also, I agree with Male. Even on a double, I can name about 5 guys max in this league that Dirk could not shoot right over--not to mention if he was fading away.

Plus as was said earlier, there are no cutters on this team, which only gives Dirk the option of passing cross court, back out, but not down the middle.

Dirk is the reigning MVP. He should be scoring more than 20 points a game. We are not always treating him like an MVP caliber player. The Mavs are leaning towards a team-game, and straying away from what makes us special in the first place: Dirk.
Thank you.. you at least understand the point im trying to make. Something has got got to be said about people ASSUMING and we all know what happens when u ASSUME.

Last edited by skylive321; 12-06-2007 at 01:19 PM.
skylive321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:25 PM   #92
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
Remember how great Najera was at dive cutting to the rim? Or Josh during his rookie year? Marquis? if we don't have cutters, Dirk will never beat a double team the way the team should allow him to. Avery is just coaching bad offensive basketball right now. Dirk should be averaging a hefty number of assists the way he's being doubled this year. However, we have players who a) can't make a outside shot to save their lives (stack) or b) decide not to move and give him passing angles when Dirk has the ball

great teams. great players. They make opponents pay for double teaming--under Avery, Dirk just isn't that guy. Sure, the entire team should shoulder blame--but as the head coach and the superstar (leader), you guys must step up.
Had to jump ahead and quote what Alby says. We cannot run an offense. Period. Yes, at times our defense sucks, but purely, IMO, on perimeter defense, which has always been the case with us. Its our offense that truely is something to behold. I cannot understand the idea that if Dirk gets doubled on the wing, lets stand around. We have one of the most lazy, complacient teams that can't seem to get fired up. Every 3 or 4 quarters, you'll see some greatness click, for the most part, its just not there.

I'm for a shake up. The coaching staff on down isn't here to coast, but to build, and the foundation to build towards the playoffs is shaky, at best.
foglemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:25 PM   #93
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that Dirk taking a backseat will make the rest of the team better, but that does nothing to explain why the blonde bomber can no longer hit a wide open 3 pointer.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:52 PM   #94
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202
IMO, Dallas needs to start focusing more on defense, keep going with the Josh as batman for about another 10-15 games -- then go back to Dirk, and if they can trade for a two-way SG/SF that could put them over the top.
I love that idea.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:54 PM   #95
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyDub
I agree that Dirk taking a backseat will make the rest of the team better, but that does nothing to explain why the blonde bomber can no longer hit a wide open 3 pointer.
I miss the Blonde Bomber.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
Old 12-06-2007, 01:58 PM   #96
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty
I miss the Blonde Bomber.
I do too. I was at the game last night, and had been at the prior 4-5 Mavs games in SA (including the playoffs) before that. The way I felt last night every time Dirk would shoot was so different than the way I felt the previous times I had been down there. It's really sad.

Previously, I assumed every time he shot it was going in, and when it didnt I was surprised. Last night, I almost felt lucky when his shots actually did go in.

I have full faith that we'll see the old Dirk again, but until then it's really depressing to not have the faith that all of his stuff is going to beautifully drop through the net.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls

Last edited by LonghornDub; 12-06-2007 at 01:58 PM.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:01 PM   #97
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk isn't the problem. Just imagine him on a team that would utilize his talent/size/skills, which the basketball world has never seen before. Can you imagine him under Nellie playing for the Warriors? How about Dan Tony and the Suns? I'm sure even the Spurs' team-oriented game, Pop would easily be able to get the German 20 shots. It's our defiencies on the offensive end as a team, it is just plain terrible. Defensively, we obviously need work--but, I'm going to blame that one on Avery for starting Jason Terry and not playing a center. The system is downright flawed from the initial step, how can a team overcome that?

no team is perfect. very true. however, the coaching staffs' terrible offensive/defensive schemes aren't even giving us a chance.

you have to admit, it's surprising that we've even won 12 games up to this point.

Contact Me
Old 12-06-2007, 02:03 PM   #98
ty
Diamond Member

Seems like he is lacking a lot of confidence. Dirk will rarely shoot straight up. If the ball is dished to him from the 3 point line, he'll pump, then drive. When he is playing the high post, he will always do his little jump fake before fading away (even on a point guard).

I want to see Dirk shoot straight up. Shoot the ball right after the turn around on the high post. He's doing too much to get a shot off when he can just pop at will. Like I said before, who can think of more than 5 guys in the NBA that could guard Dirk's jump shot?

Shoot the ball big feller, shoot it.

Old 12-06-2007, 02:05 PM   #99
ty
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
Dirk isn't the problem. Just imagine him on a team that would utilize his talent/size/skills, which the basketball world has never seen before. Can you imagine him under Nellie playing for the Warriors? How about Dan Tony and the Suns? I'm sure even the Spurs' team-oriented game, Pop would easily be able to get the German 20 shots. It's our defiencies on the offensive end as a team, it is just plain terrible. Defensively, we obviously need work--but, I'm going to blame that one on Avery for starting Jason Terry and not playing a center. The system is downright flawed from the initial step, how can a team overcome that?

no team is perfect. very true. however, the coaching staffs' terrible offensive/defensive schemes aren't even giving us a chance.

you have to admit, it's surprising that we've even won 12 games up to this point.
It used to be that our amazing offense could atleast somewhat balance the detriments of our defense. Now it's like we have nothing going our way.

Old 12-06-2007, 02:39 PM   #100
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

Janett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to all

Cuban or Avery would never trade Dirk. If this keeps us from making the playoffs or if this makes us win a nba title, this is how it is. Dirk will not be traded as he is a fan favorite in Dallas. He is a very unique player. The shortcommings are also there in not playing inside and not playing much defense.

Where Dirk would shine and score about 30 a game, would be Phx. No defense is taught there and it is wide open style and you are open for bombs or you have space to move. This is where Dirk really goes off. Again this won't happen, as Cuban will never trade Dirk and especially to Phx.

So what are our solutions? Well if Dirk is here for the long haul, you must match players around him. Dirks problems did not start this year. I am not sure what happened but Dirk was a monster last year and had taken his game to another level and about two weeks left in the regular season, he quit. About a week later, Jason Terry quit. I have never seen Terry quit untill then. Dirk refused to get a rebound or ever step inside the painted area. Why? I do not know and this carried over into the playoffs where Dirk and Terry did not want to play and every now and then, in spurts they would some and to the point, it even made Howard quit. Harris is the only one that tried and Diop did as well.

Avery loves Stackhouse. If he shoots 30 times a game, it is ok with Avery. The problem, Stackhouse has become a stand still shooter and when we become an Antoine Walker team and stand and bomb, we are not good. Phx is not even good that way, they must move the ball and have penetration. A knock on Stack his whole career was his defense, so if you have bombs away, not much defense at sg and no driving, this hurts. They are not going to change Dirk and all you can do is try to light a fire under him and see why he quit last year and why that problem can't be resolved. He plays scarred now.

Why isn't Hassell playing? When Gino looks like Michael Jordan, Stackhouse can't guard him. Where is Hassell? Didn't we get Hassell for Gino, Kobe, Wade, Lebron, Melo and TMack?

We must have centers but Dampier is still either hurt or him and Avery do not see eye to eye anymore and Avery begged for Damp here and he got him. Alot last night, Michael Finley was playing center. Yes, Finley at about 40 years old that doesn't play the best defense either. Did we make him and them pay? No, when Dirk passed Damp the ball with Finley guarding Damp, under the goal, Damp doesn't even look at the basket and kicks it back out for a Dirk jump shot. Michael Finley just won at being the center.

The only one that would try to score is Bass down low. They could put Steve Nash on our centers and most of our players in the paint, make Nash the center and only Harris, Bass and Howard is the only ones that would try to score on him in the paint. This is a huge problem because our team wants to be an Antoine Walker team. Gino and Finley was caught down low at center many times. This is sick.

Dirk can't dribble around and take a game over. This is not his style. He does it within the flow of the game and you must set Dirk up. It is much harder to do, when you do not have any inside game at all. We have only Bass that wants to play in the painted area.

You have two options and both makes us much better and we need both. We need a big physical shooting guard. I am talking a big tall physical one. Not a 40 year old Eddie Jones or Finley. We need one that can also drive to the basket. Stackhouse is actually good when he shoots about 7 to 10 ft's a game but he refuses to anymore.

Two of our best players are Harris and Terry but both are point guards and one guy can usually be on the floor at the time against many teams. Juwon Howard is terrible now. Our last big problem is we have no center that even looks to score. Dirk can't be center.

This team couldn't hardly be beat if you had a big physical driving sg and a center that could score, with Terry, Harris, Dirk, Howard and our fill ins. Avery must try to cover up these two weaknesses or it has to be a trade. Here are problems, Terry has big time trade value but he is one of our best players on the team. Howard has big time trade value but he is a big part of any defense we play and also why does he quit in the 4th q? I do not understand this. This team will never trade Dirk and lastly, Avery seems to be in love with Stackhouse and i am not sure what you could get for Stack.

I am going to put this nicely, when you are playing Finley and Gino down low as a center and you can't score on them, you have problems. That painted area is like a deep dark hole that most of our players are so afraid to go in. You must have points down there to win a title.

I am not saying Dirk isn't a part of the problem because he is big time but it won't do any good to think of trades with him because it won't happen.
Janett_Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 03:29 PM   #101
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsfan1000
Stackhouse is the problem with this team. Found this off dallasbasketball.com.

Quote:And I know you think he sucks totally!

For all the players that avg. at lest 20 min/gm Stack has one of the worst FG % in the league.

Stack 24min 33.8%
Anthony Johnson 22min 33.3%
Smush Parker 20min 31.5%
Quentin Richardson 31min 31.3%
Larry Hughes 27min 29.3%

those are the bottom 5 in the NBA, notice anything about that list, most of those teams suck and all those players suck on offense, and they are all from the East except Stack.

That makes Stack approximately 196th of 200 shooters in the league with over 20 min/gm(didn't count all the players in the league avg. over 20 min/gm just estimated about 7/team)

That's akin to to saying "This car is slow"
"Why?"
"The wheels don't turn fast enough!"

There's a whole process involved, first you gotta tell the wheel which way to turn, how fast to turn, etc. Stackhouse is sucking right now, but doesn't seem like he's being put in a position to succeed. Has he even been posting up smaller players? That's where he excels, and then his long range shot starts falling. And then he'll turn into the Stack that helped us so much this past year and in 05-06
Old 12-06-2007, 03:38 PM   #102
alby
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty
It used to be that our amazing offense could atleast somewhat balance the detriments of our defense. Now it's like we have nothing going our way.
we haven't had an amazing offense since the loss of, dare I say it, Steve Nash.

Contact Me
Old 12-06-2007, 04:10 PM   #103
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

Janett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to all

We have had a better defense since Nash and Finley left. It comes and goes now and we have got to the nba finals and even won two or three games in the finals.

Nash has been mvp but he hasn't got to the finals yet. Defense is what wins nba titles and this is why Nash can't win a title with Phx and as long as San Antonio is in the league. Do not get me wrong, i feel Nash is great and one amazing player but i feel Dallas has a better shot at a title than Phx and i know many are picking Phx to win a title this year but i just do not see where they can without a center, stopper center and better defense. Them and gs are very excitting to watch but in the end it will be Sa, Detroit, Dallas, Boston or a team that has stoppers in the middle and can play defense.

Teams are starting to go gs or phx against us. That is what pops did last night. Give the ball to Gino or Parker and take off like a runaway airplane and charge down the middle and see what happens. We have to learn to defend or play defense to defend guards doing this to us. That was the only chance sa had to win last night. With Duncan, they do not have to do that every time down. Now they are complete with a stopper.

Besides our probs we are having, we are very inconsistent. We do not want to play defense and offense the same night most nights. It seems we are not interested in the regular season and we need to be.

If we had Steve Nash our probs would not be solved. I love Nash and love watching him play but he doesn't play better defense than Harris. He is a great passer and shoots good. Harris defense is better. Harris is becomming a good shooter. We have a big void at sg and at a center and power forward scorring inside the painted area. Penetration by any player besides Harris and our defense comes and goes.

We are a great ft shooting team. Stack, Dirk, Howard, Harris need ft shots and a bunch a night. They must drive. Not stand still.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:11 PM   #104
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

I still love this team
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:22 PM   #105
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

And I'm TIRED with the way Avery treats Dirk. There, I said it.

It was pointed out very well on DB.com. Playoffs 06: Dirk misses two shots and travels at the beginning of the game.. It led to 50 points.

Now: Dirk misses two shots and makes a mistake, he gets benched for the rest of the quarter completely ignored.

THIS IS THE MVP AVERY, GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR #$$

I know I've been preaching "rest dirk", but we need to get him out of this funk and more importantly, we needed to win that game.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:23 PM   #106
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

I do to. I know defense isn't all that excitting but if Stackhouse won't drive anymore and give us what we need, then i am all for Hassell getting alot of his minutes. To just take away alot of the flying down the lane or give us better defense and some points at that position. Win games in the 80's and 90's instead of the 100's.

When is Eddie Jones going to be back? I know he has looked terrible so far and maybe he is over the hill but he use to be good and could play defense also. This atleast gives us another option. Avery is so sold on Stackhouse. George will help this team. I do not think Dampier is 100% but him or Diop is not going to score much down low. Bass should improve as the year goes along and he needs to get good on shot selection and when to drive and when to shoot or pass but i am not complaining as i like his play.

We have alot of soild players if this team can get consistent and take the regular season serious. I also hope Dirk gets a fire lit under him and wants to play hard everynight. I know he can because i watched the last few seasons and last year he was a monster on the boads and fighting in the painted area with missed shots, untill the last two weeks of last years season.

I hate seeing us lose but i feel we have a very good team and please Avery, let someone else have a few mins besides Stackhouse, game after game.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:25 PM   #107
alby
Guru

It's because Stack/AJ babysit each other kids and are close friends off the court. Did you guys know that?

Contact Me
Old 12-06-2007, 04:31 PM   #108
fluid.forty.one

Why Dirk Needs To Shoot More
Stein

By Marc Stein
ESPN.com
(Archive)

SAN ANTONIO -- After giving the home team what he and Tim Duncan normally supply offensively, Manu Ginobili felt helpless when the ball found Dirk Nowitzki in the corner.

"I was holding my breath," Ginobili said. "Definitely."

As for the Dallas perspective …

"I was running back to the locker room," Jason Terry said. "I bet nine times out of 10 he's going to make that shot."

The reaction on both sides of the biggest rivalry in Texas was grand surprise Wednesday night. Nowitzki was presented with a great look on a game-winning triple at the buzzer and somehow managed to leave it short, preserving a gutsy (and chippy) 97-95 victory for the home team at the AT&T Center, with Duncan watching it all in a blazer and jeans.

Truth is, though, that there were bigger surprises in this one. Much bigger.

Exhibit A: Nowitzki had only 11 field-goal attempts and just four in the fourth quarter, or one less than Mavs newcomer Brandon Bass.

Exhibit B: Mavs coach Avery Johnson volunteered almost immediately in his post-game remarks that Nowitzki was the second option on the play, behind Josh Howard.

Wait a second.

Second option?

Nowitzki's sluggish start has consumed almost one-fourth of the season and finds him connecting on just 27.3 percent of his 3-point attempts, which doesn't seem possible for a shooter of his pedigree, someone who just posted three straight seasons in the .400 Club from deep. So current form tells us that the miss wasn't all that surprising, especially since Nowitzki missed a similar 3 at the end of regulation that could have beaten New Orleans as recently as Saturday night.

The reigning MVP can't duck blame here. Since his first-round nightmare against Golden State, Nowitzki is seeing more double-teams and traps from the baseline and swarms from smaller defenders. But he's been too passive at times in response. And he knows it.

"I'm still trying to figure it out," he said.

However …

As a frequent Mavs observer, I'd say it's time for Johnson to rethink his equal-opportunity offense and start giving Nowitzki more touches. Keep trying to hold his minutes down, yes, but ask him to be even more involved than usual when he's out there. One obvious way to help Nowitzki shake this malaise is to force feed him out of it by calling more plays for him.

Calling the game's biggest play for Nowitzki, at the very least, would be a good start.

"He's still climbing up the mountain right now," Johnson said. "He's going to get it going. And once he gets it going, we know what he can do."

History says so, too. It's difficult to envision Nowitzki's percentage on 3s staying anywhere close to where it's been, since he's only the sweetest shooting 7-footer of all-time.

But it's worth noting that this wasn't the first time in the Mavs' 19 games that Bass -- a fantastic free-agent find, don't get me wrong, who supplied 18 points and six boards in 26 productive minutes here -- has been featured for a spell in the fourth quarter. Which should be Nowitzki Time.

You wouldn't have been thrown by anything San Antonio did without Duncan in moving to 16-3. Long before he set up Nowitzki's chance to be the hero with 10 straight points in the final 2:23, Jason Terry felled Tony Parker and Ginobili with hard fouls that enraged the hosts. But Ginobili typically responds to rough stuff better than anyone and did so again, throwing down a memorable dunk in traffic halfway through the third quarter and capping that 16-point period with an uncontested 3 that enraged Johnson. Relinquishing his sixth-man role to start in Duncan's place, Ginobili was so hot in a 23-point second half that the Mavs (12-7) actually ran three defenders at him at one stage, making you wonder how Ginobili was ever a candidate to join Duncan in street clothes because of a sprained finger on his shooting hand.

Yet it's a borderline shocker to hear that Nowitzki -- going for the tie or the win on an inbounds play against their biggest rivals -- was Johnson's second choice. As a matter of confidence, if nothing else.

Isn't it?

"It's a shot that [I've] got to make," Nowitzki said, rapping only himself for botching the finish after he unexpectedly got himself open in the corner by running "the wrong route."

"Hopefully we as a team and I get better from month to month and we'll be there at the end."
Old 12-06-2007, 04:36 PM   #109
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

I did not know this but i honestly feel that position and he is hurting us bad. If he does not drive the ball he can become an Antoine Walker. Not rebounding or not much defense from him. If he doesn't score and go to the foul line, then he hurts us alot of times.

Avery needs to play to win and not play to favorites. Hassell might only score 4 or 5 points but he will give you some ast, some rebounds and alot of defense.

I thought last night was a prime night to play Hassell and for what we went and got him for. For a wreckless driving Gino. I am not taking anything away from Gino as he was great last night but we had no one that wanted to guard him. Is Hassell hurt?

Avery can't get comphy playing favs or that can cost his his job or career.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:40 PM   #110
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty
Seems like he is lacking a lot of confidence. Dirk will rarely shoot straight up. If the ball is dished to him from the 3 point line, he'll pump, then drive. When he is playing the high post, he will always do his little jump fake before fading away (even on a point guard).

I want to see Dirk shoot straight up. Shoot the ball right after the turn around on the high post. He's doing too much to get a shot off when he can just pop at will. Like I said before, who can think of more than 5 guys in the NBA that could guard Dirk's jump shot?

Shoot the ball big feller, shoot it.
Exactly what I said for the most part!
Old 12-06-2007, 04:45 PM   #111
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

I agree with the article, Dirk needs to get involved more or Avery must tell him to shoot more. Maybe this is what is wrong with Dirk, if Avery is holding him back.

Everyone knows how good Lebron and Kobe is but did you know that Lebron and Kobe shoot alot, plus when they go 10 out of 25 that was considered good. Probably because they grab rebounds, shoot ft's but Dirk is not even shooting as many as they make or taking that many atempts.

Maybe Dirk is upset with Avery but i am not sure. I am not for Stackhouse as much time as he is getting and going to him over and over again. Avery needs to lit a fire under Stackhouse and make him do more than stand and shoot. I hope Avery tells Dirk and the team to get Dirk involved more, not less.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:46 PM   #112
alby
Guru

same article has now been posted 3 times =]

Contact Me
Old 12-06-2007, 05:00 PM   #113
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

Avery is a damn idiot.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 05:17 PM   #114
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

It's worth posting that many times.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:31 PM   #115
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
My point was that it's going to be tough when he only gets 11 shots a game.

gotta crank it up then, when he averaged this 2 years ago he was shooting way more.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 05:42 PM   #116
Stressboy

Stressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the rough

Eman was pretty much dead on with his 5 points. I think Dirk is coasting but Avery is looking like an idiot. The other strange thought I've just had and its not a good one is that Dirk wants change and is not getting it so he's coasting a lot more.

1) Terry needs to go back to be 6th man.
2) Josh needs to be the 2 and for most teams play Bass at the 3 with Dirk at 4 and Damp at 5. We will find out a little tonight if Bass can hang with a player like Carmelo. GO BIG darn it.
3) Get some new offensive plays and for the love of God, please take that damn high post back to the basket crap of the playbook, everyone knows how to defend it now and its become a beat down. Move Dirk around get him off of picks and in position so he can be facing up immediately without so many blind spots. He needs to be driving as soon as he gets the ball to beat the doubles or get fouled.
Stressboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:36 PM   #117
StackAttack
Platinum Member

StackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud of

I feel like this is a really deliberate attempt to build something like the Spurs, where if Duncan's off, not a big deal because Parker and Manu are good enough to win it on their own (as shown last night). Avery wants JET, Josh, and to some extent Devin to be able to win a game without Dirk.

That's just my theory, of course, for all I know, Dirk's really past his prime.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:15 PM   #118
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

The big German is disproving the title of this thread pretty rigorously tonight.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:17 PM   #119
quiet riot act
Banned

quiet riot act is infamous around these partsquiet riot act is infamous around these partsquiet riot act is infamous around these partsquiet riot act is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
The big German is disproving the title of this thread pretty rigorously tonight.

word

dirk nowitzki = the dallas mavericks

even better..
avery johnson - dirk nowitzki = nothing
quiet riot act is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:31 PM   #120
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

You know, I really wish Dirk were THE problem on this team.

Right now I have alot more faith in Dirk returning to form than I do in our team defense.

The title of this thread is nothing more than wishful thinking.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 12-06-2007 at 09:35 PM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dirk