Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-29-2021, 12:30 PM   #881
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
I don't see a single guy that is at this point in their career, moves the needle
Any of those centers would be a sizeable upgrade over DP.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2021, 12:37 PM   #882
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't see a single guy that is at this point in their career, moves the needle
I would agree that there are no world-beaters on the list. But would any on the list contribute more than, let's say, Nicolo Melli? Or Powell? I think that it is a more difficult question to answer (especially when I have no idea if any of these guys are in any kind of physical shape). I am just thinking if Kleber is out with an injury or foul trouble, then is Melli the answer? DFS at power forward?
Old 03-29-2021, 12:49 PM   #883
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

It will be interesting to see how the Mavs match up with Moses Brown tonight and OKC. Who is Moses Brown? He is a 7'2" center who is averaging 16.5 rebounds over the past 4 games including 23 against Boston. Big young Center out of UCLA in his second year. OKC has benched Horford for the remainder of the season (not even traveling with the team) in order to let Brown develop.
Old 03-29-2021, 01:05 PM   #884
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

I think Cousins would serve a purpose vs big bully centers who have manhandled us this year inside.

And who knows maybe he could offer more than Powell in a playoff series vs Drummond or Gobert for 8-10 mpg
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 01:10 PM   #885
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
Spoiled? That's silly. When the Mavs won in 2011 with a 32 yo Dirk would you have thought that Zero playoff series wins in the next decade would be the achievement? I would have taken the over if someone would have given me 5 series wins in a decade.
Making the playoffs is an accomplishment. Again, most teams after their title window closes and their superstar fades are awful for decades.

I'm not saying the MBT has been perfect by any means or even great. But you said that over 22 years they haven't been good at team building- outside of drafting two generational superstars. I think their record says they have been more successful than most NBA franchises. All but handful, actually.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 01:24 PM   #886
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
I think he has some what of a valid point

It's been a decade since they've got out the 1st round when they have made the playoffs.

In sports most Front Offices make personnel changes, coaching changes or front office changes with those types of results wouldn't you agree?

So it's great that they haven't reached the Knicks level. Hell I think it's great that the Cowboys haven't reached the Jets level.

But at the end of day what standards are we setting for the Mavs or Cowboys if we are just content that they haven't falling off to the level of those franchise in recent years.

I guess the best way to really describe things right now over the last decade is that the franchise has been treading water just good enough to make the playoffs but never good enough to truly advance pass the 1st round would you call that a fair assessment?

I know it's a different time and era but I do recall they struggled for two years starting off Dirk's career but in 2000 they not only made the playoffs they won a 1st round series vs the Jazz.

They seemed to make moves in the offseason or doing the season that made sense as to the type of team Poppa Nellie was trying to construct and they would at least advance past the 1st round under Nellie year after year.

It just seemed like the direction of the franchise was clear back then trying to build around Dirk. Nellie never seemed to be content I will give him that much and yes I realize there was no salary cap.

But as mentioned in the GDT this past offseason the team was coming off an exciting playoff series vs the Clippers and naturally fan expectations were high.

Some fans craved for a 3 & D player doing the draft to fit a need ASAP and they proceeded to pass up on both Bey and Bane two NBA ready made prospects & I'm not saying Green won't ever get there but those two guys were ready to fill that need right away.

What was the Mavs scouting department thinking.

Then in free agency there seemed to be just regular ole fans on these boards that identified a talent like Christian Wood who would have made an immediate impact to the front court right away.

I mean you do have to find yourself wondering had they done their homework and scouting adding two pieces like Wood and Bey to this roster and this is a totally different team in terms of contending right now.

What happens if they blow it again this offseason?
If you owned the Mavs, after what season would you have fired Donnie Nelson and/or Rick Carlisle?

We can complain all we want about having not won a playoff series since 2011, and I find it frustrating as anyone else.

But the dirty secret that nobody ever seems to acknowledge, it was loyalty to Dirk that kept the franchise in the doldrums for several years. From a purely basketball standpoint, the Mavs should have blown it up and tanked like 3 or 4 years before they actually did. But they felt obligated out of loyalty to Dirk- understandably- to keep the team as competitive as they could while he was still playing. I'm not even saying it was the wrong decision. I might have done the same thing. But it DID set the franchise back years. He just got older and older, and the Mavs kept trying to put patchwork teams together to get playoff seeds rather than tear it all down and start over. Eventually even that was unsustainable and they had to tank while Dirk was still playing- precisely what they were trying to avoid.

This is why it irks me when people complain about the lack of playoff success over the previous decade- because everyone just acts like it was bad management and/or coaching and completely removes the context of them being loyal to Dirk to a fault. Maybe they could have done it better and won a series or two over the decade, but there's no way sustained playoff success was possible without a total rebuild. So if people are going to argue about how bad the post 2011 Mavs were, I wish they would just follow it through to its logical conclusion and say that they should have traded Dirk when he still had value- Danny Ainge style.

And people also don't seem to give any leeway when it comes to the Luka era being a whole new era. It's just lumped in together with everything that happened in the previous decade. Yes, we haven't won a playoff series in a decade. But Luka is only in year 3. As far as I'm concerned, we are either right on schedule or ahead of schedule with him.

The fact is, building an NBA playoff team is hard. Building a title contender is really, really, really, really f*cking hard.

The MBT has been far from perfect, but I maintain that they've been far better than most, and I do not at all see this complacency or satisfaction with mediocrity that you seem to see.
Old 03-29-2021, 01:35 PM   #887
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

It’ll be interesting watching the inevitable Luka exit and people still defending the MBT. The Mavs live off of having Dirk and Luka carry the franchise. Dallas would be perennial losers in the nba if Dirk and Luka hadn’t come along.

They’re going to find out just putting spare parts around Luka won’t have the same outcome as it did with Dirk.

Watching denver in the pnr with Gordon was pretty tough to watch last night.
Old 03-29-2021, 02:19 PM   #888
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
It’ll be interesting watching the inevitable Luka exit and people still defending the MBT. The Mavs live off of having Dirk and Luka carry the franchise. Dallas would be perennial losers in the nba if Dirk and Luka hadn’t come along.

They’re going to find out just putting spare parts around Luka won’t have the same outcome as it did with Dirk.

Watching denver in the pnr with Gordon was pretty tough to watch last night.
Then don't watch if you are inevitably going to get your heart broken.

Honestly the negativity and pessimism is so bad on the board, that even real fans are struggling to show up here every day.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 02:33 PM   #889
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
If you owned the Mavs, after what season would you have fired Donnie Nelson and/or Rick Carlisle?

We can complain all we want about having not won a playoff series since 2011, and I find it frustrating as anyone else.

But the dirty secret that nobody ever seems to acknowledge, it was loyalty to Dirk that kept the franchise in the doldrums for several years. From a purely basketball standpoint, the Mavs should have blown it up and tanked like 3 or 4 years before they actually did. But they felt obligated out of loyalty to Dirk- understandably- to keep the team as competitive as they could while he was still playing. I'm not even saying it was the wrong decision. I might have done the same thing. But it DID set the franchise back years. He just got older and older, and the Mavs kept trying to put patchwork teams together to get playoff seeds rather than tear it all down and start over. Eventually even that was unsustainable and they had to tank while Dirk was still playing- precisely what they were trying to avoid.

This is why it irks me when people complain about the lack of playoff success over the previous decade- because everyone just acts like it was bad management and/or coaching and completely removes the context of them being loyal to Dirk to a fault. Maybe they could have done it better and won a series or two over the decade, but there's no way sustained playoff success was possible without a total rebuild. So if people are going to argue about how bad the post 2011 Mavs were, I wish they would just follow it through to its logical conclusion and say that they should have traded Dirk when he still had value- Danny Ainge style.

And people also don't seem to give any leeway when it comes to the Luka era being a whole new era. It's just lumped in together with everything that happened in the previous decade. Yes, we haven't won a playoff series in a decade. But Luka is only in year 3. As far as I'm concerned, we are either right on schedule or ahead of schedule with him.

The fact is, building an NBA playoff team is hard. Building a title contender is really, really, really, really f*cking hard.

The MBT has been far from perfect, but I maintain that they've been far better than most, and I do not at all see this complacency or satisfaction with mediocrity that you seem to see.

So when MBT couldn't put legit talent around Dirk for yeearrrs, through Dust chip, Nash, and the various other failures along the way as he was taking pay cuts because MBT was convinced we were a FA destination and minimal weak ass pitches would get deals done. Those failures are somehow because the organization was too loyal to Dirk. Brother, Your version is not how I remember it. That take is borderline blasphemous. Dirk was too loyal to Dallas.

We botched so many opportunities in FA, failing to provide a successful pitch to the guys who were available, or flat out reading the talent incorrectly. Hell, fans actually believe that FA players have something against Dallas in general. In reality, we just haven't sealed the deal and it needs to change this offseason.

Old 03-29-2021, 02:41 PM   #890
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:

Honestly the negativity and pessimism is so bad on the board, that even real fans are struggling to show up here every day.

If you think it's bad here, wait till you see Twitter.

What is a real fan in your opinion? I'm all ears if you know of a place where people are positive yet also hold the team they love and are invested in accountable while discussing everything about them.

Start blocking some of the ones that really consistently bother you? I don't love every annoyed hot take about the team either and I hope that people are at least trying to find balance between the hate and positivity.

Old 03-29-2021, 02:52 PM   #891
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
If you think it's bad here, wait till you see Twitter.

What is a real fan in your opinion? I'm all ears if you know of a place where people are positive yet also hold the team they love and are invested in accountable while discussing everything about them.

Start blocking some of the ones that really consistently bother you? I don't love every annoyed hot take about the team either and I hope that people are at least trying to find balance between the hate and positivity.
A real fan can have any opinion. Never have I said that fans have to be a certain way.

I was just raised differently, maybe. My parents told me that if you don't have anything nice to say, say nothing. In other words, don't yuck anyone's yum. It's impossible to read the constant negativity and toxicity on DM.com and Twitter while still cheering for the Mavs. That's the truth. Hell, we can't even have a discussion of an underwhelming trade like the Redick trade without people bringing up that Luka is going to leave us and we might as well salt our own earth. It's all bad. People that believe in the Mavs are wrong. The only right answer is to give up on the Mavs-- and yet stick around to whine about how bad it is to be a Mavs fan.

That's not to say that everything the Mavs do is good, but the constant whining in every thread has not actually improved the Mavs play/roster one bit. It has, however, made it extremely difficult to find a positive Mavs fan community.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 03-29-2021 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-29-2021, 03:19 PM   #892
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

I personally don't think anyone should get banned for voicing their opinion.

Some fans are just frustrated mainly with the roster building around Luka.

That doesn't mean we aren't true fans it just means we are growing impatient and rightfully so.....

Some people love the JJ Redick pickup while others simply don't see how a 36 year old small guard really helps this team outside of knocking down a few more 3's per game.

This team has been enamored with small backcourt players for years now and although they made an attempt to get bigger on the wings with a few rookies they don't even play them.....

They have guys like Powell logging minutes as other sites have mentioned that should be used in developing those young guys. How many games to get to see Powell play 10-15 minutes grabbing just one rebound and giving up layups constantly?

I offend people on here with my frustrations I apologize but that doesn't mean I'm not a true Mavs fan.
Old 03-29-2021, 04:25 PM   #893
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
A real fan can have any opinion. Never have I said that fans have to be a certain way.

I was just raised differently, maybe. My parents told me that if you don't have anything nice to say, say nothing. In other words, don't yuck anyone's yum. It's impossible to read the constant negativity and toxicity on DM.com and Twitter while still cheering for the Mavs. That's the truth. Hell, we can't even have a discussion of an underwhelming trade like the Redick trade without people bringing up that Luka is going to leave us and we might as well salt our own earth. It's all bad. People that believe in the Mavs are wrong. The only right answer is to give up on the Mavs-- and yet stick around to whine about how bad it is to be a Mavs fan.

That's not to say that everything the Mavs do is good, but the constant whining in every thread has not actually improved the Mavs play/roster one bit. It has, however, made it extremely difficult to find a positive Mavs fan community.
Well you said, even real fans are struggling to show up.

I agree with you that there is some extreme comments that get old. The "Luka is leaving" is a real bad one. I commiserate with some of the negativity because quite honestly that's what we as fans are dealing with. You wouldn't see near as much hate if some of the shit made sense. Like playing the rookies some or not over relying on DP for God sakes.

IMO, It would be a better forum if people would find some balance.

Old 03-29-2021, 04:33 PM   #894
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
I loved Nellie so I'm bias when it comes to him LOL

But as for RC I kind of view him in that class with Doc Rivers and despite winning a title in Boston, Rivers was let go right?

People assume if you want to move on from RC that means you think he's a bad coach.

Which is not the case for me

I just think sometimes after awhile a different voice or system might actually be needed.

He has the 1 title but that shouldn't be something to hold on to a coach forever if the product on the floor isn't improving.

The Mavs have are kind of in a stand still IMO.

I've seen lot's of coaches get let go after rendering the same results year after (1st Round exits)
Old 03-29-2021, 05:55 PM   #895
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Do we have a game tonight?
Old 03-29-2021, 05:58 PM   #896
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

I don’t want to see RC go; he and Luka alone give us a shot in any playoff series. I’m honestly not sure what to do about KP— they have far more information internally about his personality, work ethic, injuries, etc.

I love the Mavs. I have been very vocal over the years about my reservations regarding the “triangulation” of MBT as an impediment to ultimate team building success. I think there have even been instances of different MBT members almost working at cross purposes (Rondo trade, Giannis/Larkin draft fiasco)

I honestly think that a lot of this can be later at the feet of Cuban. I think he thinks he’s wayyyy smarter than he is. And I would imagine that guys like Riley and quite a few others laugh at his “basketball acumen” and “salesmanship” behind his back. He just tries way too hard. I truly appreciate Cubans loyalty, especially to Dirk. But if he really wanted to win he would fire Donnie this offseason, hire Masai and get the F’ out of the way. I just trust that his ego would never allow that.

Last edited by mac222b; 03-29-2021 at 05:59 PM.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 06:00 PM   #897
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I loved Nellie so I'm bias when it comes to him LOL

But as for RC I kind of view him in that class with Doc Rivers and despite winning a title in Boston, Rivers was let go right?

People assume if you want to move on from RC that means you think he's a bad coach.

Which is not the case for me

I just think sometimes after awhile a different voice or system might actually be needed.

He has the 1 title but that shouldn't be something to hold on to a coach forever if the product on the floor isn't improving.

The Mavs have are kind of in a stand still IMO.

I've seen lot's of coaches get let go after rendering the same results year after (1st Round exits)
Unless Luka says he can’t deal with RC or needs a new voice I think it’s in our best interest to roll with Rick.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 06:36 PM   #898
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
I don’t want to see RC go; he and Luka alone give us a shot in any playoff series. I’m honestly not sure what to do about KP— they have far more information internally about his personality, work ethic, injuries, etc.

I love the Mavs. I have been very vocal over the years about my reservations regarding the “triangulation” of MBT as an impediment to ultimate team building success. I think there have even been instances of different MBT members almost working at cross purposes (Rondo trade, Giannis/Larkin draft fiasco)

I honestly think that a lot of this can be later at the feet of Cuban. I think he thinks he’s wayyyy smarter than he is. And I would imagine that guys like Riley and quite a few others laugh at his “basketball acumen” and “salesmanship” behind his back. He just tries way too hard. I truly appreciate Cubans loyalty, especially to Dirk. But if he really wanted to win he would fire Donnie this offseason, hire Masai and get the F’ out of the way. I just trust that his ego would never allow that.
I almost made a similar post to this. I believe much of the lack of success post 2011 is Cuban’s fault. He thought he could sell the greatness of Mark Cuban to the rest of the league, and they weren’t buying. Donnie wanted Giannis, but Cuban wanted to make Dwight Howard cartoons. At least he finally admitted that he botched the Steve Nash situation.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 06:41 PM   #899
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive View Post
I almost made a similar post to this. I believe much of the lack of success post 2011 is Cuban’s fault. He thought he could sell the greatness of Mark Cuban to the rest of the league, and they weren’t buying. Donnie wanted Giannis, but Cuban wanted to make Dwight Howard cartoons. At least he finally admitted that he botched the Steve Nash situation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDPNBzkI554

Never forget.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 06:56 PM   #900
Zeus

Zeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to behold

As one of the frequent "negative" posters that has complained ad nauseum about the whiff in the draft this year and the inability to build even incrementally around Luka while he is still cheap, I herewith block myself from posting for at least 72 hours to let others bring balance to the Mavs Universe. Sorry Erika - not trying to annoy you. Just venting frustrations. I will lay low..
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 07:22 PM   #901
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
As one of the frequent "negative" posters that has complained ad nauseum about the whiff in the draft this year and the inability to build even incrementally around Luka while he is still cheap, I herewith block myself from posting for at least 72 hours to let others bring balance to the Mavs Universe. Sorry Erika - not trying to annoy you. Just venting frustrations. I will lay low..
I have a potential solution. Consider a 2 for 1. Every 2 negative bash posts, post 1 positive.

Old 03-29-2021, 07:23 PM   #902
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post

It's nice to know others think this about Cubes. I also believe that the MBT aren't always working hand in hand.

I do not want to see a Jerry Jones type situation with Cubes.

Old 03-29-2021, 08:56 PM   #903
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive View Post

Honestly i blame Cuban being so tight with Howards agent Dan Fegan (RIP). Im pretty certain that Fegan told him that Dwights signing is a done deal (because honestly it was also the best fit at the time).

But i guess Dwight changed his mind then.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 09:01 PM   #904
Some Guy

Some Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to all

Quote:
Rivers wanted to leave, and was traded for a 1st round pick.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:19 PM   #905
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Honestly i blame Cuban being so tight with Howards agent Dan Fegan (RIP). Im pretty certain that Fegan told him that Dwights signing is a done deal (because honestly it was also the best fit at the time).

But i guess Dwight changed his mind then.
This very well could have been the case. I do remember some speculation about this at the time.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 10:27 PM   #906
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
So when MBT couldn't put legit talent around Dirk for yeearrrs, through Dust chip, Nash, and the various other failures along the way as he was taking pay cuts because MBT was convinced we were a FA destination and minimal weak ass pitches would get deals done. Those failures are somehow because the organization was too loyal to Dirk. Brother, Your version is not how I remember it. That take is borderline blasphemous. Dirk was too loyal to Dallas.
That is not even close to what I said, and you know it. I said post-2011 Mavs were loyal to Dirk to a fault. You are either deliberately misconstruing what I said or you didn't read what I said carefully. Read it again. I said they delayed a rebuild years longer than was logical for the franchise and tried to keep the team competitive out of loyalty to Dirk. And again, I'm not even saying they were wrong. I probably would have done the same thing.

Quote:
We botched so many opportunities in FA, failing to provide a successful pitch to the guys who were available, or flat out reading the talent incorrectly. Hell, fans actually believe that FA players have something against Dallas in general. In reality, we just haven't sealed the deal and it needs to change this offseason.
I don't necessarily disagree. But I'm also inclined to believe that it's just the nature of the NBA that there are only three cities players seem to actually want to play in and Dallas isn't one of them, and no "pitch" will change that.
Old 03-29-2021, 11:01 PM   #907
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefrog View Post
I realize it is doubtful the Mavs are looking to change the roster, but nonetheless here are some names of players who are currently free agents. If they are currently free agents, you have to wonder why, but nonetheless..

Centers
DeMarcus Cousins
DeWayne Dedmon
Tyson Chandler
Ian Mahinmi
Jordan Bell
John Henson

Point Guards
Jeff Teague
Isiah Thomas
Jeremy Lin
Brandon Knight
Shabazz Napier
Yogi Ferrell

Others
DeMarre Carroll
Rondae Hollis-Jefferson
Anthony Tolliver
Jonas Jerebko
Jonathan Motley
Kyle Korver
Gerald Green
That's a depressing list....I like Cousins but yeah he's washed at this point. If we needed a backup point Jeff Teague would be interesting.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 11:25 PM   #908
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
That's a depressing list....I like Cousins but yeah he's washed at this point. If we needed a backup point Jeff Teague would be interesting.
Too late. I believe he gone to Bucks.

Old 03-29-2021, 11:34 PM   #909
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
That is not even close to what I said, and you know it. I said post-2011 Mavs were loyal to Dirk to a fault. You are either deliberately misconstruing what I said or you didn't read what I said carefully. Read it again. I said they delayed a rebuild years longer than was logical for the franchise and tried to keep the team competitive out of loyalty to Dirk. And again, I'm not even saying they were wrong. I probably would have done the same thing.

I don't necessarily disagree. But I'm also inclined to believe that it's just the nature of the NBA that there are only three cities players seem to actually want to play in and Dallas isn't one of them, and no "pitch" will change that.
Yea. You're right. I did NOT read that closely enough lol. My bad. It was prefaced in the paragraph above where I highlighted. I even bolded into the part where you said "while he was still playing". Smh.

Can we pretend that you actually said those things so I can have not wasted 7 minutes on a response? I did that totally sober too tbh.

Old 03-30-2021, 12:17 AM   #910
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Yea. You're right. I did NOT read that closely enough lol. My bad. It was prefaced in the paragraph above where I highlighted. I even bolded into the part where you said "while he was still playing". Smh.

Can we pretend that you actually said those things so I can have not wasted 7 minutes on a response? I did that totally sober too tbh.
Must spread rep. I had a good laugh.
Old 03-30-2021, 09:48 AM   #911
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Must spread rep. I had a good laugh.
Yea.. Sometimes you gotta eat one and laugh at yourself. My public relations department needed to earn their money somehow.

Old 03-30-2021, 10:59 AM   #912
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

The whining about the whining is becoming as bad. I will make sure and not voice any negativity until you say it’s okay again. I want to make sure I count as a real fan.

I’ll keep watching Mavs games though.

Edit: I love our players. Been a fan since high school 2002 from a different state and always will be.

Last edited by Melonhead; 03-30-2021 at 11:28 AM.
Melonhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 12:39 PM   #913
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
The whining about the whining is becoming as bad. I will make sure and not voice any negativity until you say it’s okay again. I want to make sure I count as a real fan.

I’ll keep watching Mavs games though.

Edit: I love our players. Been a fan since high school 2002 from a different state and always will be.
I'm so sorry you have to deal with negativity.
Old 03-30-2021, 01:03 PM   #914
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

I have to admit that I was very critical of the Mavs when they were battling with Covid and was on that terrible losing streak. I was so frustrated that I even wrote Mr. Cuban. Surprisingly, he wrote saying that they are just tired and hammered with injuries. He did promise that it would get better. He fulfilled his promise that it has gotten better. I am not sure what to expect of the Mavs. I think they are sky's the limit now. Luka and KP bring a lot to the table. I hope Hardaway doesn't go into a slump. We need his aggression even when no one wants to shoot. He can shoot us out of a game but he can shoot us back into one too. I like the JJ and Melli signings. Melli played one game and it shows that he is versatile. I like that the Mavs are trying to be good defensively. It doesn't just happen every night. I think we should just enjoy the ride for now. No need to be critical of Rick or what not. Just enjoy for now.
Old 03-30-2021, 02:25 PM   #915
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

Reading about Marc Gasol betting a buyout from the Lakers.
Both the Gasol brothers are friends of Luka - hmmm...
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 03:23 PM   #916
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_dobber View Post
Have you watched him play this year....

He's a snail and can't defend a lick

That's just Lakers quickly realizing they screwed up by not retaining either Howard or McGee

They lucked out this year and fixed that mistake by getting Drummond
Old 03-30-2021, 03:37 PM   #917
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
I mean, he seems like a good guy

But at 36, his numbers aren't great. I'm not sure he beats out any of our centers-- even Powell.
Old 03-30-2021, 10:16 PM   #918
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Keep posting how you've been posting. Erika has issues with everyones post that isn't just a glowing review of this team.....your posts are needed here.
Old 03-30-2021, 10:17 PM   #919
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Lakers are legit contenders when healthy. If they don't want Gasol let that be warning for what type of player you're getting.
Old 03-30-2021, 10:43 PM   #920
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Man, watching Lukas interview and he seems to really like Melli.