Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-30-2023, 08:08 AM   #41
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if this will be the Mavs next offseason with Irving

https://theathletic.com/4654874/2023...shared_article
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2023, 08:20 AM   #42
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL View Post
I wonder if this will be the Mavs next offseason with Irving

https://theathletic.com/4654874/2023...shared_article
Maybe, but Morey has a long track record of treating players like nothing but disposable assets.

Harden also is regressing and seemingly wants out of every situation he is in nowadays.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 07:30 AM   #43
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

A very fair writeup about Kyrie

https://www.dmagazine.com/sports/202...ie-irving-nba/
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 06:25 AM   #44
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

NBA University@NBA_University
Kyrie Irving 22-23
99th percentile efficiency as a pick-n-roll ball handler
55.1 EFG% on pull-up jumpers on 555 FGA
MOST efficient high-volume ISO scorer
6th highest midrange FG%
68.6% Rim FG% despite 82% of his rim FGA being unassisted

Last edited by dirt_dobber; 08-01-2023 at 06:26 AM.
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 09:59 AM   #45
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Just a baller. The basketball talent he has is insane and might even surpass Luka (who obviously has the size/ strength advantage).
Old 08-01-2023, 03:24 PM   #46
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I have this totally irrational belief that Kyrie requests a trade this season

And that Luka is beasting so bad, our new pieces are so effective, and the return on Kyrie is so good that we still end up 1-5 seed

In my mind we get back Norman Powell and Zubac and a FRP or two and avoid the play-in and make it out of the first round

It?s irrational but I guess I just have faith in Luka and Niko and losing Kyrie might not even be and.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 08-01-2023 at 03:30 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 03:52 PM   #47
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Kyrie posting vids of Luka is chicken soup for the soul.
Old 03-08-2024, 10:10 AM   #48
LukaMagic

LukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to all

I don't know what Kyrie's Number 11 means. But I think that it means TWO TIMES NUMBER 1. Which is cool. If you believe it, own it, and act like it.
LukaMagic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 10:12 AM   #49
LukaMagic

LukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukaMagic View Post

I don't know what Kyrie's Number 11 means. But I think that it means TWO TIMES NUMBER 1. Which is cool. If you believe it, own it, and act like it.
And I think that this thread should be pinned to have some Kyrie discussion going. People around here appear to be hung up on Luka a bit too much.
Old 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM   #50
LukaMagic

Quote:
And I think that this thread should be pinned to have some Kyrie discussion going. People around here appear to be hung up on Luka a bit too much.
https://youtu.be/AAZQaYKZMTI

ps I am not posting the lyrics of this also. But I mean there is an option to turn on the caption in the Youtube settings.
Old 03-08-2024, 10:19 AM   #51
LukaMagic

My contribution to this thread is to write that Kyrie Irving is the LYNCHPIN.

Google dictionary: "a person or thing vital to an enterprise or organization."
Old 03-08-2024, 10:24 AM   #52
LukaMagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
****Can't believe we don't have one yet.**** Figured we need to separate this from the other trade deadline talk.

Short term I think Kyrie is going to play extremely well the rest of the season and in playoffs. He will also be on his best behavior with an eye towards securing a deal this offseason.

Long term I really don't see a better situation for Kyrie around the league. Mavs can give him more than any other team, have the best non-Giannis player in the league, and he gets to generally do his thing with less media than he's used to in Dallas. Time will tell, but why leave that to team up with a 39-year-old Lebron and alway hurt AD?

There's a good breakdown of the basketball aspect of this by Nekias Duncan here: https://www.basketballnews.com/stori...ncer-dinwiddie

and by Draymond Green (of all people) here: https://youtu.be/eZJCEVAAIBE?t=1318

For Kyrie's first press conference see here: https://youtu.be/GZYDTShR4CI

Wanna get hyped, see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyWnzWCMArg
****** That's one great opening thread. In my opinion.
Old 03-08-2024, 10:44 AM   #53
LukaMagic

So yeah... Kyrie needs to HANDLE THE BALL more.
Old 03-08-2024, 11:54 AM   #54
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So yeah... Kyrie needs to HANDLE THE BALL more.
I was a bit angry when it was under 30 sec left and you knew Miami was likely to foul. Don?t pass the ball. You?re our best free throw shooter, and if they don?t foul you?re capable of creating your own shot. I?d like to see him take the final shot.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 11:05 PM   #55
LukaMagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
Just a baller. The basketball talent he has is insane and might even surpass Luka (who obviously has the size/ strength advantage).
This is almost fair. But it is still not. Luka has better AWARENESS. Luka sees much better where all other players are on the court, what they are doing, what position they are in, etc. That IS related to Luka's size, but it is not just about the size. Kyrie is purer and better baller, as it was noted by tap2390 above. But when Kyrie isos, which he does very well, he is much less aware of others around him.
Old 03-09-2024, 09:50 PM   #56
LukaMagic

Great game by Kyrie today on both ends of the floor. Kyrie is a very efficient player. I was particularly impressed by his defense today. He is alert and knows how to handle himself even in situations when he is facing a significantly taller player.

I've never watched Kyrie play basketball in any sort of great detail prior to this season. He truly is a proper superstar player.
Old 03-10-2024, 03:32 AM   #57
LukaMagic

Old 03-10-2024, 04:35 AM   #58
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Great game by Kyrie today on both ends of the floor. Kyrie is a very efficient player. I was particularly impressed by his defense today. He is alert and knows how to handle himself even in situations when he is facing a significantly taller player.

I've never watched Kyrie play basketball in any sort of great detail prior to this season. He truly is a proper superstar player.
Agree. His use of the glass and putting spin on the ball is something I didn't know he was so good at. His midrange game is impressive as well.
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 08:45 AM   #59
LukaMagic

Quote:
Kyrie did NONE OF THIS @ Chicago. He spent almost the whole game in his head. And that has nothing whatsoever to do with Luka nor with Kidd. When Luka came out Kyrie avoided the ball. The best ball-handler ever in the history of the NBA, who is also a point guard,

a v o i d i n g . . t h e . . b a l l . .

when Luka is NOT on the floor.

Every time Luka is not on the floor, Kyrie should TAKE THE BALL and RUN A PICK AND ROLL. And see what happens. And then if that pick and roll doesn't work out, he should RUN ONE MORE PICK AND ROLL. And see what happens.

Instead of KYRIE IRVING, who, LETS REMIND OURSELVES, is the best ball-handler EEVVEEERRRRRR and one of the biggest NBA superstars with talent shooting through his ears left and right, there is some Exum dude doing point guard work and handling the ball because KYRIE IRVING is hiding in the corner.

ps Forum locker-room talk.
pps https://youtu.be/ZAErD8xzjCM

Last edited by LukaMagic; 03-12-2024 at 08:51 AM.
Old 03-12-2024, 08:54 AM   #60
LukaMagic

Quote:
Kyrie did NONE OF THIS @ Chicago. He spent almost the whole game in his head. And that has nothing whatsoever to do with Luka nor with Kidd. When Luka came out Kyrie avoided the ball. The best ball-handler ever in the history of the NBA, who is also a point guard,

a v o i d i n g . . t h e . . b a l l . .

when Luka is NOT on the floor.

Every time Luka is not on the floor, Kyrie should TAKE THE BALL and RUN A PICK AND ROLL. And see what happens. And then if that pick and roll doesn't work out, he should RUN ONE MORE PICK AND ROLL. And see what happens.

Instead of KYRIE IRVING, who, LETS REMIND OURSELVES, is the best ball-handler EEVVEEERRRRRR and one of the biggest NBA superstars with talent shooting through his ears left and right, there is some Exum dude doing point guard work and handling the ball because KYRIE IRVING is hiding in the corner.

ps Forum locker-room talk.
pps https://youtu.be/ZAErD8xzjCM
And if Kyrie and Luka want to fight over who runs more pick and rolls then THAT'S GREAT. After every single quarter Kidd can tell them who was more efficient in doing that.

This whole thing about Kyrie and Luka is made up bullshit. Because Kyrie IS NON-EXISTENT ON THE FLOOR WHEN LUKA IS NOT ON THE FLOOR AND HE IS.

And instead of . . K Y R I E . . I R V I N G . . , who, LETS REMIND OURSELVES, is the best ball-handler EEVVEEERRRRRR and one of the biggest NBA superstars with talent shooting through his ears left and right, you have Green(s) and THJ(s), who can't put one foot in front of the other with the ball in their hands, running offense.

What shit is that?

And Kyrie waiting in the corner to get a pass for a three, or waiting for somebody to screen him so that he could COME OUT AND GET THE BALL. He should OWN that ball.

pps Locker-room talk over.

Last edited by LukaMagic; 03-12-2024 at 09:00 AM.
Old 03-12-2024, 09:06 AM   #61
LukaMagic

Quote:
And if Kyrie and Luka want to fight over who runs more pick and rolls then THAT'S GREAT. After every single quarter Kidd can tell them who was more efficient in doing that.

This whole thing about Kyrie and Luka is made up bullshit. Because Kyrie IS NON-EXISTENT ON THE FLOOR WHEN LUKA IS NOT ON THE FLOOR AND HE IS.

And instead of . . K Y R I E . . I R V I N G . . , who, LETS REMIND OURSELVES, is the best ball-handler EEVVEEERRRRRR and one of the biggest NBA superstars with talent shooting through his ears left and right, you have Green(s) and THJ(s), who can't put one foot in front of the other with the ball in their hands, running offense.

What shit is that?

And Kyrie waiting in the corner to get a pass for a three, or waiting for somebody to screen him so that he could COME OUT AND GET THE BALL. He should OWN that ball.

pps Locker-room talk over.
ppps And look at this graph:

Old 03-13-2024, 07:50 PM   #62
LukaMagic

Kyrie is one of the most naturally talented basketball players that I have ever seen playing. That is a huge compliment.

But he is in some ways inefficient. He ISOs a bit too much, for example, and doesn't commonly involve others in his offensive plays. Doesn't orchestrate offense. And he also gets in his head a lot.

But just in terms of movement, timing, and situational things like that. He is exceptionally talented. Very Jordan-like.
Old 03-13-2024, 07:51 PM   #63
LukaMagic

He is good at ISOs, of course. But he would be better if he were to distribute the ball better.
Old 03-13-2024, 07:54 PM   #64
LukaMagic

Quote:
He is good at ISOs, of course. But he would be better if he were to distribute the ball better.
Basketball is a collective sport and any and every player's true quality depends upon both improving the team. That's why assists are important, spacing, collective and positional reads of the whole team, etc.
Old 03-13-2024, 08:04 PM   #65
LukaMagic

[/url]

This graph means that Luka is a very efficient player. His potential is peaked. There are no issues Luka not tapping into his potential. On average and on the whole he is optimally assisting teammates. His distribution is on average optimal.
Old 03-13-2024, 08:08 PM   #66
LukaMagic

And this graph means that Kyrie is NOT a very efficient player. His potential has NOT peaked. There ARE issues with Kyrie not tapping into his potential. On average and on the whole is is NOT optimally assisting teammates. And that means that he is not handling the ball well and enough. On average, his distribution is NOT optimal. There is more that he can can do and that he could do.
Old 03-13-2024, 08:12 PM   #67
LukaMagic

How would Dallas Mavericks do with Kyrie averaging 8 assists and not 4.5? How would Dallas Mavericks do in games in which Kyrie makes 13+ or 14+ assists? Where is the sweet-spot for Kyrie when it comes to assisting teammates?

Nobody knows that because Kyrie has not explored that potential. And he doesn't play to explore that potential. He avoids the ball. He plays as a shooting guard who prefers going for ISOs and who doesn't prefer just managing the ball for the team, orchestrating plays, etcetera.
Old 03-13-2024, 08:13 PM   #68
LukaMagic

And Kyrie does that even when Luka is not on the floor. That has nothing to do with Luka. Luka cannot force him to do that.
Old 03-13-2024, 08:20 PM   #69
LukaMagic

I am not saying that Kyrie should not ISO. I am saying that Kyrie CAN ALWYAS ISO. Luka can always ISO or do a step back. But it is good for the team to seek assists and involve others.
Old 03-13-2024, 08:23 PM   #70
LukaMagic

And I think that Kyrie would also increase his PPG average if he were to manage the ball for the team better. And that is because he would be involved more. He would have all sorts of greater opportunities and positions from which to score and make easy baskets. ISOing is hard. Kyrie regularly falls down on the floor after driving to the hoop because he exhausts his limits. He beats his own defender and then beats the big waiting for him in the paint.

He would also be injured less.

Last edited by LukaMagic; 03-13-2024 at 08:24 PM.
Old 03-13-2024, 08:32 PM   #71
LukaMagic

And Kyrie should not model his assisting on Luka's game. He should model his assisting game on some other great assisting point guards who were roughly his size. Luka's size makes it much, much easier for him to assist so much and so well. But there are many other shorter point guards who were great assisters in the history of the game. And who were great scorers too.

Last edited by LukaMagic; 03-13-2024 at 08:32 PM.
Old 03-13-2024, 08:36 PM   #72
LukaMagic

And I just want to add that all of this that I write about Kyrie has to do with IMROVING his game. But he is already a great, great player. And even if he doesn't AT ALL change his game and seek to improve he is still VERY, VERY GREAT as he is right now.

If he were to continue to play just as a shooting guard and concentrate on just that he is still and he would still be VERY, VERY GREAT. He makes a tremendous difference on the Mavs team.

These things are not easy to change. And Kyrie cannot change this quickly. This takes time. At least a period of a season or so if he were to concentrate and work more on orchestrating plays. If he were to focus on that too much suddenly it would negatively affect him and his PPG average. He would start performing worse as a shooting guard.

Last edited by LukaMagic; 03-13-2024 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-14-2024, 08:58 PM   #73
LukaMagic

No Luka tonight vs Thunder.

Kyrie played 5 games absent Luka this season. All at home. His record in those games is 3/5 with these stats:

Min: 37.1
PPG: 30.6
AST: 6.6
REB: 6.0
FG%: 44.82
3P%: 34.38
+/-: 5.8
Old 03-14-2024, 09:30 PM   #74
LukaMagic

THJ refusing to give ball to Kyrie. Goes one on one. Takes a horrible shot.

Very, very corrosive influence on the team.
Old 03-14-2024, 11:08 PM   #75
LukaMagic

Kyrie with 27 pts and 11 assists. And there is the whole 4th quarter to go !!!!
Old 03-14-2024, 11:50 PM   #76
LukaMagic

Finished with 36 points and 12 assists. Hard to make any sort of impact with THJ and Hardy around you.
Old 03-17-2024, 03:32 PM   #77
LukaMagic

Exum needs a thread !!!!
Old 03-17-2024, 05:02 PM   #78
LukaMagic

K y r i e . . . b a b y . . .

What have I been talking about?
Old 03-17-2024, 05:03 PM   #79
LukaMagic

A left-arm hook-shot.
Old 03-17-2024, 05:04 PM   #80
LukaMagic

That was not a hook shot. It was single-handed, left-armed shot.