Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 01-04-2019, 02:45 PM   #1
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
The McDermott comparison for Porter is horrible...

And yeah, Porter would be a good fit. A much better fit than Barnes.And i like the Porter trade where we dump Powells useless 10 mio next season.
I get where people are going with McDermott... we would probably run the exact sets for OPJ that we did with Doug when he came here and shot like 52% from three. I bet we could get Porter to 42% from three on 7-8 attempts per game. If he can do that and play his typical standard of defense, he'd be the 2nd best player on our roster right now.

For those bemoaning the loss of cap flexibility for the summer of 2020.... who in that class do you want us to pursue instead? Not a very strong class. Should we really turn down a quality starter (albeit a slightly overpaid one) because we're going to sign Anthony Davis?
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:51 PM   #2
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
I get where people are going with McDermott... we would probably run the exact sets for OPJ that we did with Doug when he came here and shot like 52% from three. I bet we could get Porter to 42% from three on 7-8 attempts per game. If he can do that and play his typical standard of defense, he'd be the 2nd best player on our roster right now.

For those bemoaning the loss of cap flexibility for the summer of 2020.... who in that class do you want us to pursue instead? Not a very strong class. Should we really turn down a quality starter (albeit a slightly overpaid one) because we're going to sign Anthony Davis?
Thank you. No where was it mentioned that OPJ = McDermott. He would be an extremely better version and fit due to everything else he does other than shoot 3's, namely defense and rebounding.

I think the initial trade discussions from a Mavs FO perspective would be something like Matthews and Powell for OPJ, with obvious filler involved.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 03:23 PM   #3
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

OPJ could actually be a good trade asset, as a large soon- to- be expiring who can actually play, if a star changes teams in the next couple years.

I'm with Sefant, in that I'd only deal for OPJ if Powell is outgoing on our end. Then you are effectively paying Porter 17m next season, and the following season he opts out or is a large salary matching expiring contract. Barnes is likely opting out, preserving a max-ish spot just in case, assuming DAJ is back in the neighborhood of 15-17m. Or we could make a big offer for Vucevic and spend the leftover on a PF or SG.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 04:34 PM   #4
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
YES.

Because we ARE going to sign someone like Anthony Davis... You guys need to get over your Nobody-Wants-To-Play-With-Old-Dirk PTSD and look at what we have here with Luka. The kid is special, and I can absolutely see big name FAs wanting to play with him, even more so if two of them can come here at once. Fair or not, the kid has more hype around him at 19 than Dirk ever had at any point in his career. Players are taking notice.

And it's not just FAs, it's trades too... Having extra cap space can allow us to eat bad contracts in pursuit of a stud or facilitate multi-team deals -- and having an expiring Harrison Barnes gives us a solid financial/talent asset to put on the table (like, does a HB/DSJ package net you a bona fide All-Star?)

You don't aim for guys like Otto Porter Jr, you settle -- and there's no need for us to settle right now.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 01-04-2019 at 04:46 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 06:15 PM   #5
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
YES.

Because we ARE going to sign someone like Anthony Davis... You guys need to get over your Nobody-Wants-To-Play-With-Old-Dirk PTSD and look at what we have here with Luka. The kid is special, and I can absolutely see big name FAs wanting to play with him, even more so if two of them can come here at once. Fair or not, the kid has more hype around him at 19 than Dirk ever had at any point in his career. Players are taking notice.

And it's not just FAs, it's trades too... Having extra cap space can allow us to eat bad contracts in pursuit of a stud or facilitate multi-team deals -- and having an expiring Harrison Barnes gives us a solid financial/talent asset to put on the table (like, does a HB/DSJ package net you a bona fide All-Star?)

You don't aim for guys like Otto Porter Jr, you settle -- and there's no need for us to settle right now.
Uh yea... duh. DIRK couldn't net big fish because his strong suit was jump shooting. Other than a handful of PGs what is the upside for other stars? Luka does it all but his passing and and IT factor is what sells the idea of guys playing with him. Big shot making helps a ton too.

A. Davis is a big target for every team who has the means to go after him but I think there's a solid argument for the Mavs being in the top 3, maybe top 2 destinations. Not just for him but for any big fish.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 06:55 PM   #6
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
A. Davis is a big target for every team who has the means to go after him but I think there's a solid argument for the Mavs being in the top 3, maybe top 2 destinations. Not just for him but for any big fish.
If you're a 26-year-old Anthony Davis looking at the next 4 years of your career, do you choose a 35-year-old LeBron over a 21-year-old Luka Doncic? I know what CP3 and D12 chose when considering a 35-year-old Dirk...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:12 PM   #7
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
If you're a 26-year-old Anthony Davis looking at the next 4 years of your career, do you choose a 35-year-old LeBron over a 21-year-old Luka Doncic? I know what CP3 and D12 chose when considering a 35-year-old Dirk...
The Lakers can easily sign a third star after dumping Ball/Ingram (or send them to NO after Davis blackmailed them into a trade).

And yeah, a Big-3 in LA with Lebron and Davis...should be easy to find someone. And if its "just" Kemba Walker. And Davis just signed with Klutch Sports and had dinner with Lebron the other night.

Giannis in 2021, thats a more realistic pipedream. He was a big Luka fan even before draft night...maybe they wanna form the first Euro Superteam.

And even trading now Wes/Powell for Porter (a Barnes-Porter swap isnt happening anyway from our side), we would be fine for the 2020 cap wise because Barnes is gone from the payroll (2019 or 2020)

Last edited by sefant77; 01-04-2019 at 08:18 PM.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote