Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 04-19-2009, 01:21 AM   #81
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

alby's magic jukebox doesn't work anymore =(

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2009, 06:14 AM   #82
left texas
Golden Member

left texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond repute

What is not working alby, working fine for me. Let me know and I will try to fix it.
left texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 10:51 AM   #83
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Now it's up, the site was down for a couple days. Thanks!

Contact Me
Old 04-20-2009, 10:21 AM   #84
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Great time was had this weekend!!! This is one party/concert that is not as much to do about the music as it is simply a state of mind!!!

I estimate some 30,000 to 50,000 people were tailgating out in Frisco, Friday/Saturday...all for the Jimmy Buffet weekend!!!

This was my 3rd time seeing Jimmy and truly, one of my funnest times partying!!!

This is cross generational...from Old to Young, everyone having a good time and nobody tried to start anything!!!

One of the greatest BEACH Parties in the world and I am looking forward to 2010...should Jimmy continue to tour!!!

Next year, we will get the RV out to Frisco early and park closer to the Stadium and thus be in the midst of the main crowd.

This is as close to the feeling one gets after winning a Championship!!! Pure unadulterated CELEBRATION!!!
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:10 AM   #85
Blackspider972

Blackspider972 has a spectacular aura aboutBlackspider972 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby View Post
I was driving through the DFW metroplex today listening to the Ticket and at around 5:30pm (The Hardline with Mike and Corby), there was a segment about the recycling of music, especially rock from the 60s and 70s. If you guys had the chance to listen to this, you know what I'm talking about.

Anyways, they went on to play a few songs that they felt greatly affected their lives, and these songs were special because they were each released many, many years before their time (Mike and Corby grew up in the 80s but the songs were from the 60s). References to Led Zepplin, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, and others were being discussed.
Mike didn't "grow up" in the 80's. He is around 60 or so. Much older than Corby is.
Blackspider972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:14 AM   #86
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure that Rhyner grew up in the 60's.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 06:49 AM   #87
left texas
Golden Member

left texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202 View Post
BTO, Van Halen, CCR, Rush, U2, America, and Steve Miller are definite places to start, IMO.
alby, been awhile since you have had anything new. Here are dalmations202 recommendations.

LINK TO damations202 recommendations.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:46 PM   #88
alby
Guru

Sorry, I just got back into town today.

I am ready for some new music (preferably stuff from the 60s/70s)

thanks!

Contact Me
Old 05-02-2009, 03:52 PM   #89
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

true that. keep them coming left texas!

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
TheMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:44 PM   #90
left texas
Golden Member

alby here are 6 songs from the sixties. It takes me back to my high school days either sitting in my dorm room or in what we called The Dayroom listening to the jukebox. I hope you enjoy these.

The Weight by the Band
Eve of Destruction by Barry McGuire
The Letter by the Box Tops
Summer in the City by the Lovin' Spoonful
Kicks by Paul Revere and the Raiders
Pictures of Matchstick Men by Status Quo

I am not sure if any of your high schools have websites but some of you might want to visit my high school website which I co-webmaster with another guy. Our high school is Lakenheath American High School In Lakenheath England.

LAKENHEATH AMERICAN HIGH SCHOOL
Old 05-13-2009, 04:12 PM   #91
alby
Guru

Thank you, sir.

Contact Me
Old 05-27-2009, 03:22 PM   #92
left texas
Golden Member

alby, here are five more from the seventys, hope you enjoy

Highway Song by Blackfoot
Radar Love by Golden Earring
My Best Friends Girl by The Cars
Lola by The Kinks
The Weight by The Pretenders
Old 05-27-2009, 04:21 PM   #93
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
I'm pretty sure that Rhyner grew up in the 60's.
Um, Rhyner's dead.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:25 AM   #94
left texas
Golden Member

SUPER GROUPS have been around in rock n roll amost from the beginning. Members of bands joining together to create the ultimate rock. Here are six such offerings.

Can't Find My Way Home by Blind faith Link to band info
Woodstock by "Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young Link to band info
Karn Evil 9 by Emerson, Lake & Palmer Link to band info
Satisfaction Guarenteed by The Firm Link to band info
Get It On (Bang a Gong) by Power Station Link to band info
Tweeter & the Monkey Man by The Traveling Wilburys Link to band info

Last edited by left texas; 07-05-2009 at 03:48 PM.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:46 AM   #95
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by left texas View Post
SUPER GROUPS have been around in rock n roll amost from the beginning. Members of bands joining together to create the ultimate rock. Here are six such offerings.

Can't Find My Way Home by Blind faith Link to band info
Woodstock by "Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young Link to band info
Karn Evil 9 by Emerson, Lake & Palmer Link to band info
Satisfaction Guraenteed by The Firm Link to band info
Get It On (Bang a Gong) by Power Station Link to band info
Tweeter & the Monkey Man by The Traveling Wilburys Link to band info
I can't believe this did not include the Highwaymen.
Old 07-05-2009, 03:45 PM   #96
left texas
Golden Member

Hey chum, this thread has been mainly about classic rock, but I will admit as far as super groups, there is none bigger than the Highwaymen in country music.

The Highwayman by the Highwaymen.

Nice info on the song and group.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:18 PM   #97
chumdawg
Guru

A couple of those guys are in the rock-n-roll Hall of Fame, no? I know Cash is.

But even if he's the only one, it remains true that rock music fed at country's roots. Jimmie Rogers was Elvis before there was an Elvis.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:42 PM   #98
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

For my job as a transcriptionist, I've been reading a lot of interviews about western swing music. You don't really realize how important western swing is in the scheme of things (or, perhaps, you simply put it into some kind of a "country music" category). Bob Wills apparently pointed out that, when Rock 'n' Roll became popular with Chuck Berry and Little Richard and Buddy Holly and Elvis in the mid-to-late 50's, he had already been doing it for twenty years. In fact, apparently Bill Haley had a western swing band before he formed the Comets (or they were in fact the same band and just changed the name, or something).

Also, for those who would possibly care to learn more about the world of modern folk music, Folk Alley has set up a internet radio stream of "the 100 most essential folk songs" (which, to me, is too Dylan-dependent, even including stuff like "Tangled Up in Blue" and "Like a Rolling Stone," which I would never put in the category of folk, though the meaning of the word is debatable), but I think most of the list is pretty good.

http://www.folkalley.com/sidestream.asx

Last edited by Kirobaito; 07-05-2009 at 04:48 PM.
Kirobaito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 04:54 PM   #99
chumdawg
Guru

Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys will certainly take their rightful place amongst the forebears of rock-and-roll.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:48 AM   #100
alby
Guru

thanks left texas for hosting the jukebox

Contact Me
Old 08-03-2009, 09:24 AM   #101
left texas
Golden Member

As we are in a slow time for basketball (at least football is just around the corner) I thought I would had another five songs for alby. One song is from the 60's though very late, 1969 and the rest is from the 70's. Hope alby and anyone else who cares to listen, enjoys.

Crimson and Clover by Tommy James and the Shondells-1969-This number 1 hit has the distinction of being the fastest song to fall out of the top 100. After falling to 18 it then fell out of the top 100 in one week.

Venus by Shocking Blue-1970-As the Bristish Invasion was going strong in the mid to late 60's, other groups from around the world started to make a presence. Shocking Blue came from the Netherlands in 1967 and then had this top 20 hit.

Black Betty by Ram Jam-1977-This song caused quite a stir with the NAACP and Congress of Racial Equality calling for a boycott due to the lyrics. Despite the controversy, the song reached number 18 on the singles charts in 1977 in the US and top ten in Australia.

Breakfast In America by Supertramp-1979-Breakfast in America won the 1980 Grammy Award for Best Recording Package, beating out albums by Talking Heads and Led Zeppelin, among others.

Play That Funky Music by Wild Cherry-1976-The autobiographical song was inspired by the times, and the song's unforgettable title (and chorus) came from drummer Ron Beitle's observation during a break between sets at the 2001 Club in Pittsburgh. The group was mostly a hard rock outfit, but the Disco era was really gaining steam and many of the group's loyal followers were asking for more dance songs. While taking a break between sets, Ron uttered the now classic line.. "Play some funky music, white boy". Lead singer Robert Parissi decided they should, and wrote down the phrase on a bar order pad. They later recorded it in Cleveland with a Disco sound.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:33 PM   #102
alby
Guru

Thank you again =]

Contact Me
Old 09-07-2009, 12:14 PM   #103
left texas
Golden Member

Well, fantasy draft is over so here are five more songs. Going back to the 60's for alby.

Time of the Season by the Zombies 1968
Tired of Waiting by the Kinks 1965
You've Lost That Loving Feeling by the Righteous Brothers 1965
Happy Together by the Turtles 1967
Keep In Running by the Spencer Davis Group 1967

If anybody has any suggestions for alby, I will see if I have it in my library.

Last edited by left texas; 09-07-2009 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:35 PM   #104
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I've always liked The Righteous Brothers.
Murphy3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
got a bit fluffy in here