Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 08-22-2009, 03:33 AM   #1
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute
Default I dared to chase a dream

So....

I have needed to tell someone, anyone how I feel. And well, I guess you guys get to be my victims.

I am returning to college on the first of Sept. and getting married on the third of Oct. From the time I started posting here my life and career have taken turns.

If you know me by my posts, I have been a semi-pro stand up comedian for the last six years. It started when I couldn't get any work as a musician and someone said I should try an open mic. I went to a few and was picked up by a touring headliner to be an opener. At the time I didn't realize this had less to do with talent and more to do with having a running car.

I paid dues, from driving across five states for no money, to sleeping in my car, to emptying a headliner's piss-can (literally this fat s.o.b. broke his foot and wouldn't get up to go to the bathroom, he would call my room once an hour to drag a trashcan full of piss and dump it in the toilet). Did countless shows (my biggest regret was never getting to do Dallas other than a short lived room at the Dave and Buster's). And got to see and meet the coolest places and people in this country.

I had great highs, getting paid to play golf several times with Blake Clark, spitting in Pauley Shore's coke (he was a twat and deserved it for the way he treated the staff), and pretending I was a big shot in several towns that don't get a lot in the way of entertainment. And extreme lows, being egged on to do time at my high school reunion and getting booed, bombing in front of Henry Cho in front of 400 people, and the countless times I would have to open for guys who use jokes you wouldn't open an email to read.

But it has come to an end. At some point it stopped being fun. I found along the way, I can't say when, that what I was doing and saying on stage wasn't me. The more I did the old material the less I cared for it, yet the more I did material that truly represented my voice, the less the audience cared for it. After a while it became a job, and if it is just a job, hell I could do a lot of thing that pay better, and have better lighting.

Soon I was going from doing bigger clubs, to squeaking by. Playing in front of smaller and dumber audiences. It seemed the more I wanted to branch out, the less opportunities I got. If I had a new, smart bit, the audience wanted watered down fart jokes and blue collar stories about my truck. I don't own a truck. I would bomb in front of a crowd with clever material about zombie movies and having a bigfoot fetish. While others would take work from me with stolen material about vigra, and leaving the toilet seat up. ( you know, ground breaking stuff). The worst was when a guy who used to open for me was getting my gigs by using material I wrote and gave up on because it was unoriginal. Nothing sucks worse than having your boss say, "Yeah that guy is a hack and using your old throw away jokes, we would never use him." to find out later they gave him all your dates for this year.

Am I bitter, YES. I gave loyalty and dedication to booking agents that took 20% of my check just for the honor of working for them, all while they took the same 20% from venues. ( basically double dipping). Being told I can't take work from rival agent by agents who stopped taking calls when the economy went in the crapper, and mostly having to work for clubs that had absolutely no clue who to run a business, and closed as soon as there was a downturn, because all the saving went up the owner's nose.

So I chose to go back to school and finish my degree, am getting married and gave up on a dream. I may be bitter, but I don't regret it. Damn it, So few people I life get a chance to try something like this and I gave it my shot.

Sorry for being so long winded, I just needed to get this off my chest.

Also can I change my user name?
Old 08-22-2009, 04:50 AM   #2
left texas
Golden Member

left texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice and interesting read, rmacomic. The best thing is you will never have to look back and wonder what if, and that is something most people can't do. Good luck on finishing your education and your up coming marriage. (PS no need to change your user name, that part of your life will always be with you and be proud of it)
left texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 05:13 AM   #3
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Are you doing a bit?

If not...godspeed, bro.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 07:32 AM   #4
Justin Credible

Justin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to allJustin Credible is a name known to all

Look at the bright side of this ordeal; you were given the chance to experience a lot of things that only a very select few people in the population can claim. You've done what it takes to chase a dream and have gained respect for the minority of comics, those that mix in personal messages with their routines (Bill Hicks?), and will always know how to truly make those around you happier.

Props for chasing a dream man. There's not many people in the world with the strength that it takes to follow dreams like that and even fewer that would've put up with what you did for as long as you did. You'll carry that strength with you for the rest of your life, and that in itself should make it all worth it.
Justin Credible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 12:04 PM   #5
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

I've got to say, you have a lot of courage to even try to live out what you really want to do. So many people don't because they're too concerned with what society wants them to do, and society always wants them to go work for a crappy business and give their labor making money for someone else, all the while not enjoying themselves in the slightest.

I pretty much know in my heart what I want to do, but I'm not sure if I have the guts/balls to actually do it. It's good to see folks who are willing to risk it in order to do what they want, even if it doesn't work out in the end.

(p.s. I would have loved zombie and bigfoot jokes)
Old 08-22-2009, 12:34 PM   #6
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

All I know is Michael Finley got cut years ago, and I've still got my user name intact...

At least you gave the thing a shot. Stand-up seems like such a tough business, and the few that make it seem to need a lot of things that go their way to have it happen. At least you got to spit in Pauly Shore's coke. I think I speak for all of us here when I say thank you for that.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 05:09 PM   #7
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic View Post
At least you got to spit in Pauly Shore's coke. I think I speak for all of us here when I say thank you for that.
Seconded. And kudos for showing restraint as I would have put more nauseating stuff in that drink.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 05:27 PM   #8
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmacomic View Post
So....

I have needed to tell someone, anyone how I feel. And well, I guess you guys get to be my victims.

I am returning to college on the first of Sept. and getting married on the third of Oct. From the time I started posting here my life and career have taken turns.

If you know me by my posts, I have been a semi-pro stand up comedian for the last six years. It started when I couldn't get any work as a musician and someone said I should try an open mic. I went to a few and was picked up by a touring headliner to be an opener. At the time I didn't realize this had less to do with talent and more to do with having a running car.

I paid dues, from driving across five states for no money, to sleeping in my car, to emptying a headliner's piss-can (literally this fat s.o.b. broke his foot and wouldn't get up to go to the bathroom, he would call my room once an hour to drag a trashcan full of piss and dump it in the toilet). Did countless shows (my biggest regret was never getting to do Dallas other than a short lived room at the Dave and Buster's). And got to see and meet the coolest places and people in this country.

I had great highs, getting paid to play golf several times with Blake Clark, spitting in Pauley Shore's coke (he was a twat and deserved it for the way he treated the staff), and pretending I was a big shot in several towns that don't get a lot in the way of entertainment. And extreme lows, being egged on to do time at my high school reunion and getting booed, bombing in front of Henry Cho in front of 400 people, and the countless times I would have to open for guys who use jokes you wouldn't open an email to read.

But it has come to an end. At some point it stopped being fun. I found along the way, I can't say when, that what I was doing and saying on stage wasn't me. The more I did the old material the less I cared for it, yet the more I did material that truly represented my voice, the less the audience cared for it. After a while it became a job, and if it is just a job, hell I could do a lot of thing that pay better, and have better lighting.

Soon I was going from doing bigger clubs, to squeaking by. Playing in front of smaller and dumber audiences. It seemed the more I wanted to branch out, the less opportunities I got. If I had a new, smart bit, the audience wanted watered down fart jokes and blue collar stories about my truck. I don't own a truck. I would bomb in front of a crowd with clever material about zombie movies and having a bigfoot fetish. While others would take work from me with stolen material about vigra, and leaving the toilet seat up. ( you know, ground breaking stuff). The worst was when a guy who used to open for me was getting my gigs by using material I wrote and gave up on because it was unoriginal. Nothing sucks worse than having your boss say, "Yeah that guy is a hack and using your old throw away jokes, we would never use him." to find out later they gave him all your dates for this year.

Am I bitter, YES. I gave loyalty and dedication to booking agents that took 20% of my check just for the honor of working for them, all while they took the same 20% from venues. ( basically double dipping). Being told I can't take work from rival agent by agents who stopped taking calls when the economy went in the crapper, and mostly having to work for clubs that had absolutely no clue who to run a business, and closed as soon as there was a downturn, because all the saving went up the owner's nose.

So I chose to go back to school and finish my degree, am getting married and gave up on a dream. I may be bitter, but I don't regret it. Damn it, So few people I life get a chance to try something like this and I gave it my shot.

Sorry for being so long winded, I just needed to get this off my chest.

Also can I change my user name?
This sounds a hell of a lot like the music industry...

Try doing it strictly as a hobby instead of for a living (less money, more appreciation) - you might find more enjoyment if you can express your own voice without worrying about how it affects your career...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 07:38 PM   #9
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Try doing it strictly as a hobby ...
I know following any advice from underdog sounds like a really bad idea - but this might just work for you. And I agree with others. It sounds like you've made some very wise choices, and you can look back and enjoy a lot of good experiences from living a life that few people experience.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 08:11 PM   #10
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not a musician or a comic - but i think UD just gave some great advice. When your career isn't tied to something, it becomes less stressful. Maybe just go back to doing some open mic stuff on the weekends. You'll remember why you loved it in the first place, and there won't be the pressure to maintain a lifestyle with it.

i've never found you very funny, so good luck with all that.

Congrats on the upcoming wedding on good luck in finishing your education!
Old 08-22-2009, 08:29 PM   #11
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Very interesting throughout. You should write a book. Or a pamphlet.

I don't know what I'm saying, but thanks for the read. I gotta say I caught your jokes and they indeed made me laugh. I might have given you rep, or maybe I was too lazy to do it.

At least you got to experiment what might be one of the best jobs in the world (it must have been a blast to get paid - and sometimes not get paid - to make people laugh).
Old 08-22-2009, 09:37 PM   #12
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux View Post
I'm not a musician or a comic - but i think UD just gave some great advice. When your career isn't tied to something, it becomes less stressful. Maybe just go back to doing some open mic stuff on the weekends. You'll remember why you loved it in the first place, and there won't be the pressure to maintain a lifestyle with it.

i've never found you very funny, so good luck with all that.

Congrats on the upcoming wedding on good luck in finishing your education!
I signed up for an open mic today, the local club has about one a month. The next one is in a few weeks. That should give me enough time to psyche myself up for it.

I've never believed that was your real hair, so good luck with all that.

Thanks everyone for the congrats on the wedding, any one care to guess the theme of the groom's cake?
Old 08-22-2009, 09:39 PM   #13
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

i'm guessing it's a life-size replica of:

Old 08-22-2009, 09:41 PM   #14
rmacomic
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux View Post
i'm guessing it's a life-size replica of:

A shemale on steroids?

try again
Old 08-23-2009, 01:36 AM   #15
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

What are you going to do career-wise now?
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:02 AM   #16
rmacomic
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
What are you going to do career-wise now?
I am going for a communications / journalism degree. Finding a job now has been tough.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:41 PM   #17
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting. Good luck. I've always been considered a "funny guy" (although it's more just natural humor than doing "routines", which was one reason I was hesitant to stand-up). There was even a time when I considered trying stand-up, but it seemed like something really hard to get into, as clearly you've demonstrated it is. Maybe you could interject your humor into writing, if you end up with a job that allows as much (which perhaps journalism would allow for).
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:34 PM   #18
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences with us. No doubt most people wish they'd done the same at some point in their lives. At least you can always say you gave it a sporting chance.

Seems kind of weird to essentially say "I gave up my dream and am getting married..." but I imagine you don't mean that getting married is part of "giving up". Good luck with college. Interested in sports broadcasting? Get some freelance jobs as a utility or a runner for sports networks, and passionately work your way up the ladder while finishing your journalism degree... and you'll be well on your way.

So what is the theme of your grooms cake? :A microphone? A zombie?
Old 09-24-2009, 11:20 AM   #19
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

hey man. it takes a lot of courage to do what you did, and then post about it. Good luck man. and take care.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:45 AM   #20
OzMavs
Platinum Member

OzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud of

Some of the funniest people I have met are lawyers, barristers, etc. People who have finished their degrees and have gone on to have a career in entertainment. There just seems to be a price to pay for everything, if you want it enough, you'll get it.

I'll buy you a drink: HERE

NOW WITH FREE REP WITH EVERY DRINK!!
OzMavs is offline   Reply With Quote