scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

Anyone else disagree with this?

--
Blackistone: Cuban's rants court disaster
04/26/2001

Mark Cuban must go.

For the rest of whatever is left this season, he ought to be banished to David Stern's penalty box. For the rest of his career as Mavericks owner, he ought to recuse himself in whatever skybox he owns at the Mavericks' new arena.

He should no longer be allowed to sit courtside with the players and coaches he loves. For the league's good. For his own good. Particularly for his team's good.

Where should Mark Cuban sit during Mavs' games?

Game 2 tirade won't earn fine

Mavs return home hopeful

Stein: Mavs wanted Jazz, need experience

Notebook
As it turned out Tuesday night at the Delta Center, where Cuban's Mavericks fell behind the Jazz two games to none in their best-of-five playoff series, it was a good thing Game 2 started so late and ran into the wee hours of morning. Much of the potential viewing public, especially impressionable youngsters, probably hit the sack before it was over. As a result, fortunately, they probably missed much of Cuban's sideline histrionics.

Throughout the night, Cuban made it a practice to leave his seat behind his players' bench and make his way over to the press section behind the scorer's table at center court. From there, he launched into any number of tirades.

Early on, he stood over the shoulder of Mavericks announcer Bob Ortegel screaming at the nearest referees. He wanted them to look at a replay of a call they had just made.

At halftime, Cuban plopped down on the end of the press table I was sitting at and loudly questioned the abilities of the people at the scorer's table who run the scoreboard and game clocks in Utah's arena.

Later on, Cuban was crouched in the aisle beside Mavericks public relations officials, his face contorted in anger, cursing at referee Mike Mathis for not making a call. Mathis calmly looked at Cuban and asked him to take his seat.

At some point, it all prompted Mavericks president Terdema Ussery to make his way over to the scorer's table from the other side of the court and try to save the owner from himself.

All of that I witnessed. The following, I did not.

A Dallas cameraman said he saw Cuban flash a one-handed choke sign at the officials. It was the same gesture that drew Cuban the fine a couple weeks ago that put him over the half-million dollar mark in penalties for the season. It also cost him a one-game suspension. Those things, obviously, make no difference to him. He has said as much more than once.

The question is what will make Cuban realize the fallacy of his ways?

After all, if it were not for Cuban's inability to contain the ugly side of his passion, he would be the best sports owner money could make. His checkbook is open to bring in the best talent. His ears are open to listen to those with whom he's entrusted the coaching of his team. His enthusiasm is contagious.

His handling of displeasure, however, is sickening. It even has infected his team, leaving them in a weakened state of competitiveness whenever they step on the court and he is near.

It is doubtful the referees will look at the Mavericks as they do other teams, what with Cuban's mouth making an already inhospitable setting for them even more hostile. We might call referees zebras, but they have memories like elephants and hold grudges like folks in the Holy Land.

That should be reason enough for Cuban to relocate to his skybox next season, lest he takes to buckling himself in his courtside seat, sporting a straitjacket and sealing his lips with duct tape. He could give his team a fighting chance.

He's not likely, of course, to take such a suggestion from this space. He hasn't taken similar requests to take a timeout from the league office or even from his occasionally combustible coach, Don Nelson.

There is a faction, however, that could get Cuban to think of his behavior's impact on his team's success as he does cushy chairs, chef-made meals and DVD players. His players.

If Michael Finley, who could opt out of his contract this summer, or Dirk Nowitzki, scheduled to be a free agent after next season, suggested to their boss that they'd rather he privatize his disgust, I bet he'd defer to their wishes. For if Mark Cuban loves his players as much as he always says, he won't want to be seen as a detriment to their determination.
Old 04-27-2001, 09:07 AM   #2
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Mmmm, I agree with most of it. I like Cuban alot but he needs to SHUT THE HELL UP! I did think his sideline antics hurt the team earlier in the season but I'm starting to beleive they are now.

Did anyone see Hansen last night? I agree with pretty much everything he said.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2001, 09:08 AM   #3
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

That would be Dale Hansen Unpluged. Not Hansen the band [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] .

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2001, 10:16 AM   #4
dallaslaker

dallaslaker has a spectacular aura aboutdallaslaker has a spectacular aura aboutdallaslaker has a spectacular aura about

I think the team and the coaches are realizing that it's time to just shut up and play. I love Cuban and everything that he's done for the team, but maybe he can follow their example now. I believe we've done all we can in trying to make our points. From here on out, it's up to the league to look at how games are called. Like I said in earlier posts, Game 2 was just terrible for both sides. My biggest complaint is that refs should not make calls at the end of the game. I've heard over and over that their stance is to let the players decide the game and not the refs. Other than that, I think it has been for most part a fairly called game.

Game 3 = first Mavs playoff win in a decade!!
dallaslaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2001, 06:01 PM   #5
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

I think he hypes up the fans which helps the players, so keep it coming Mark!!
Old 04-29-2001, 12:10 AM   #6
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

That was too much to read...but I like Cuban and what the brings to the game. I think that owners should get involved and be passionate about what they do and not be like Jerry Jones. That guy tries his hardest to dismantel his team completely(and is doing quite a good job of it.).