Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-13-2007, 07:00 PM   #1
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

Janett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to all
Default Cries for change in Dallas are getting louder

I agreed with alot this guy said. If i am a coach of another team, i put a small quick forward on Dirk, to take the ball away from him, i guard Terry close and do not let him have open shots, i do not even guard Diop or Dampier, i make Josh Howard shoot outside and do not let him drive. This reduces us to a bad jump shooting team in the playoffs.

Dirk is not a center. I am sorry he isn't and he is closer to a shooting guard than center or even a low post power forward. Dirk is one of the best in the league when you space the floor like Nash does or Phx does. Dirk would be so great on Phx. Dirk is not a good stand still player and he isn't a good creator. Do not get me wrong his shot is deadly, his ft shooting and when we have a big Dampier in, he is a good rebounder. He will go inside and dunk the ball when the loor is spaced but he can do nothing much when you throw the ball into him, the paint, his back to the basket and say Dirk create and get us a basket. His passing has vastly improved. Instead of makig other teams match up to us, these old vet coaches are making Avery match to them and killing Avery.

Dallas better address this first and i promise you, no one will make or teach Dirk to be a low post player. So we need to forget about this but if we have a guard that can create and penetrate or we have open spacing or running, Dirk will get alot of dunks and layups.

We need a low post player that can score. This is our number one need. We take Dampier out of the game and now Dirk can't rebound as good and he becomes even more of a shooting guard. Josh Howard becomes our power forward/center and he is to small.

If we keep our same team it is a chance we can win a title but it is several teams that can beat us and now we are bad exposed that we can't play half court offense in the post or center area. We are exposed that if someone puts a small quick forward on Dirk it bothers Dirk bad because he can't play in the paint to good. They say, create on me Dirk(small quick forward) and now Dirk gets in trouble. Dampier and Diop can't score a lick and Avery refuses to pick and roll with terry/damp or Dirk/Damp. We refuse to get any center involved in the offense.

Teams are good and can get away without a center untill the playoffs, watch Phx and Amare is so great but at the end of he game Duncan will stop him at the basket and Phx can't stop Duncan at the basket. GS can't stop anyone at the basket and so these teams are so excitting but it comes down to borring inside paint basketball in the playoffs, ft's and defense. We can stop scorring with Damp alot of times but we can't score inside.

Does Cuban make a move and get a good scorrer and big time player inside? Does Cuban keep what we have and try to add a player or vet that can score inside that is cheaper? This is the huge question and the number one thing i wonder about the off season. Remember, we won't get rid of Dirk, so you fill in and you make his weaknesses less and i fill most know Dirk's weak spots but do not take this wrong, Dirk is very good and a hard match up for so many teams also. Give Dirk a low post man that can score. Take some pressure off him and let him do what he does best and stop trying to make him a center.

Number 2, what is going to happen with Terry/Harris? Who is our starting point guard? Is Terry a point or shooting guard? Both these players are very good but with many teams we play, we get small playing them both(starting) and also we have no center that can score. So now we have Terry(small shooter), Harris(small shooter and driver), Dirk(tall shooter), Howard(great defender and a shooter and slasher) and our 5th player is a nothing on offense. We have 4 guys playing horse outside, and sometimes 5 guys playing horse when Avery starts George or even Stack.

This is sometimes ok against bad coaches but vet coaches like Riley, nelson will kill you and see what they must do, especially in the playoffs. A good low post scorrer would cure every problem we have, and it would even cure us playing Terry/Harris at the same time and even open Dirk up for what he is great at. A great or very good low post player is very expensive and hard to get. Can we? What will it take to get one?

It is talks of Jermaine O'Neil and oh yes we would win a title fast with him. 7 feet scorrer in post and 7 feet scorrer outside but how would Dallas go about getting one of the greatest in the game now and Ind would be a fool to let him go unless they get so much in return. Yes, this is my number one wish but i highly doubt we can get him.

Is it a player that we could get to move in the post for scorring and us keep bascially our same team we have now? This player would have to come cheap. This team is very good and we will win many games and be so good if we stay the same but if we can tweek our team with a low post offense man it will open up our front and lately, teams have clogged up and are trying to shut down Dirk/Terry/Stack and saying Howard, Damp, Diop and Harris, you beat us.

Do we make a major low post change and get a great player like a O'Neil, Garnett, Bosh, maybe a Camby or do we try to just snag a college type player and hope he becomes very good and a hoss down low? Dampier/Diop are very good on defense.

If you read this article you can see what we are dealing with and why some players won't be as easy to move with high salaries to get a player we need but it is a few teams really want from us and this is a major decision in the off season.

Go here and read.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba;_ylt=AoF...1JAKoAR8c5nYcB

Click on Sean Deveney on the left. He brings up good points. It boiols down to, the good coaches in the nba is saying Dirk, you beat us down low in the paint or they are saying, ok Avery, stop us at the rim and also we dare you to score at the rim, so the problem we are having is inside the painted area around the rim and mostly on offense. When we pull Damp out, then here comes guards flying down the middle to the rim(playing against us). I am not blamming Dirk because i know what Dirk is(outside player) and i put most of the blame on Avery and Dallas coaching staff. I am not blamming Dampier because all Avery asks of Diop/Damp is to play defense and no more. Oh yes Damp is overpaid but Avery begged for him and without him, we would even be worse.

Is it possible for us to keep most our team, and i am not talking about Croshere, George, Buckner, DJ or our 3 young guys because these guys really do not matter alot, and pick up a decent inside post player to just get us by and make teams respect one player we have down in the paint or do we make a major tradding change to get a low post man?
Janett_Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2007, 07:37 PM   #2
StackAttack
Platinum Member

StackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud of

Direct link:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...=tsn&type=lgns

But yeah, decent read, thanks.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:39 PM   #3
Captain Disaster

Captain Disaster is a jewel in the roughCaptain Disaster is a jewel in the roughCaptain Disaster is a jewel in the rough

Sean Deveney is forever a tool.

Last edited by Captain Disaster; 05-13-2007 at 10:40 PM.
Captain Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 11:56 PM   #4
mavsjunkie
Golden Member

mavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to all

It's simple, get a low post threat or continue being the lauging stock of the NBA.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:15 AM   #5
vjz

vjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsjunkie
It's simple, get a low post threat or continue being the lauging stock of the NBA.
Yup, how difficult is it for Donnie to dial 1-800-GET-LOWPOST?
vjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 12:22 AM   #6
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

Janett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to all

One reason for a low post player, center or power forward and remember Dirk can play forward, or play two power forwards or even him at shooting guard but this will help the question, who is point guard, shooting guard, does Terry and Harris start or does Harris or Terry go.

Plain and simple, give us a low post scorring player and even if we have Damp/Diop as this will make us three deep with two good defenders and one good scorring threat and deepen the bench.

If i was Cuban/Avery, i would not worry as much with shooting big guard, who is point guard, or getting lots of guys that can drive and all this is nice but you get a low post player, now it opens up all your good players and makes everyone better.

We are not far away and let's get a low post player and see how far it takes us and any minor tweeks.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:39 AM   #7
MascisMan

MascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to behold

What do you guys think of Chris Webber as a cheaper alternative to JON?
MascisMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 09:50 AM   #8
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MascisMan
What do you guys think of Chris Webber as a cheaper alternative to JON?
No because he's too slow. He wouldn't have helped in the GSW series. He's also soft.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 09:58 AM   #9
Mavfreak

Mavfreak will become famous soon enoughMavfreak will become famous soon enough

The Mavs make too many unnecessary changes already. If they can put together a good team, and stop trading away great players, they might go somewhere. They need a point guard and a big enforcer type player. Any thoughts of trading Dirk should be considered as insane.
Mavfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 01:07 PM   #10
joemoeschmoe

joemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to all

As much as it'd be nice to get a center that can score, its just not realistic. How many big men are there in the NBA that can fit this role? Everybody's looking at Shaq and Duncan and saying that we need some of that inside scoring action. But, we don't. We match up well against everybody except GSW and, in case people didn't notice, Diop was one of our best players in that series. Having a scoring big would have just meant more horribly slow isolation, low movement isolation offense without a decent PG. That's assuming he was athletic enough to be able to keep up defensively - thus narrowing the range of players even more.

We need a PG that knows how to initiate an offense, drive, not settle for long jumpers, and setup other players for easy buckets far more than a scoring big man. Diop defensively cancels out most of the offensive centers very well (while also protecting the rim from driving guards). Diop is one of the best in the league at guarding Duncan and Damp is one of the best in the league at guarding Shaq. The center position is not exactly strong, but its not our biggest weakness.

I like Harris more than Terry, but the practical side of me tells me Harris' game doesn't make sense. Having a PG with a low BBall IQ and a significantly lower than average ability to setup other players to score is like having a 2/SG that can't shoot or a center that can't rebound - it doesn't fit. Harris would be fine coming off the bench as a PG, but neither him nor Terry should be starting at PG.

It be less costly to get a decent PG because there are more available and we're lacking more in the PG skill set right now more than in the center skill set (we can still rebound and block shots as a team very well). Honestly, having Fracisco Elson (a cheap athletic big that can rebound and finish - all we really needed) backup Diop along with Andre Miller starting at the PG would've made it so we would've slaughtered GSW.
joemoeschmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 02:03 PM   #11
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all

I hate to go with losers, but losers with hunger are worth the risk...

My new center is:
GARNETT

Last edited by birdsanctuary; 05-14-2007 at 02:05 PM.
birdsanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:08 PM   #12
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

Garnett will leave MN and i figure LA, Chicago and Memphis will do all they can to get him. In Clipper land it will be changes but not with Brand. It will be many teams going after Gasol. Magloire possibly leaving and Denver won't hang on to Camby, they are strapped. Camby is very good on defense and he can score some inside and a lil outside. So many teams need a big man and when i say a big man, the game is moving away from a pure center and it is going to a guy like Duncan, Garnett and Gasol that has center height but plays like a forward. Boozer is another example. Guys that play inside are more valuable. Sometimes and most of the time it is hard to find a guy that can play defense and offense.

Webber is a great fit in Detroit. They have a tough physical team, and he is soft at times and starts going outside but his team mates are so good and physical inside this is ok for that team. I feel he is to old for us and way to high. Brad Miller will leave Sac probably but he is soft and he wants to go outside and shoot.

Dampier & Diop are very good on defense and you are right, we can probably beat Detroit or Spurs or atleast the series would go 7 and pretty even, even if they beat us and they could. 50/50 shot with those teams but when we play Phx, GS and sometimes Denver we stand around and look terrible an Nash makes Dirk guard him. They never match us but we yank our big men out and go small and want to play Nellie ball alot of the times. This is losing basketball.

No, i figure we won't and can not get a Gasol or Garnett and not a Camby but it might be a sleeper that could come cheap or cheaper that is a big powerful physical power forward that plays inside that scores. Even a center. We need him for teams like Den, Phx, GS. We never play DJ and yes he is hurt or was but will we be teaching him 10 years from now and on the bench? He is about defense also. We have 3 defensive centers and with Willis, 4.

Two of these guys should go and we won't resign Willis but of the 3 we have and keep, one needs to play some offense. Avery is right, defense is number one and we have to defend but as a Mavs fan, what GS did to me and us, was down right embarrasing to me. I am serious. They beat us like a drum.

I am very torn about our point guards and yes they pretty much sucked but Harris gave his all and drove the ball as the other 4 guys just stood around. Harris tried hard and Howard would for about a half, but other guys did not care with exception of Diop. No one helped him as 5 men drove at him all series.

Guess what guard Avery begged to come and we layed him out alot of money before the season to play wth us? Mike James and he chose MN instead. He use to kill us but he plays like Terry with a deadly shot and always looking to shoot. He is not known to drive but he did against us.

Mike Bibby is out there, Andre Miller is also good you mentioned. Miller drives and one of the better drivers in the NBA. Miller can probably be had but Bibby will go very high. Another guy when he came in the league was a hot dog with the ball and played globe trotter style and would shoot from all over and lose the ball alot. His name is Jason Williams at Miami. He has now became one of the best points to take care of the ball and not turn it over. He became this at Memphis.

Miami want's Billups bad. Cassell is good but old. Now the hard part, Harris said not this year but last year when we made it to the finals, he said he should start. Terry the vet will want to start and Terry and Dirk are close friends, but who starts and if you play them both, you have a small defending shooting guard. This works with 75% of the nba teams but some teams it puts us behind an 8 ball and still no one scorring in the paint.

I really wonder will we get rid of Terry or Harris or go after a Williams, Miller, Bibby, and Cleveland will go balls out for a point guard, they have to have one. Billups is great but he will be way to high and Detroit won't let him go.

In the end, we might get a physical inside player that scores to go along with Diop/Dampier and all three players get minutes, depending the team we play. I am not talking of a Camby, Garnett or Gasol. I have no names to throw out now and need to study and see whom could be had. The guy with Detroit is very good that use to play with Denver and played college in the SEC. He would be ideal.

I like Harris and Terry both and i am torn on this but i feel probably one will go and it could be we get a big good shooting guard or a flat out point guard that passes first but at our guard situation, i am really baffled and not sure what we will do on our point guard situation or big shooting guard. I feel very strongly we will push for a big man or get one that can help Damp/Diop on offense and he can be a center or a big physical power forward paint offense man. Not a star or superstar but a solid one to help us.

Another player that will probably have a new home is Corey Magette and maybe Lamar Odom.