Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 11-18-2004, 07:32 PM   #1
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice
Default Vince to Portland

Thursday, November 18, 2004

ESPN.com news services
Vince Carter might finally get his wish: a ticket out of Toronto.

The Raptors and Trail Blazers are discussing a blockbuster seven-player trade that would send Carter to Portland, ESPN's Stephen A. Smith has learned.

Vince Carter
Guard-Forward
Toronto Raptors

2004-2005 SEASON STATISTICS
GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%
9 15.0 3.9 3.6 .378 .667

In exchange for Carter, Jalen Rose and two other unnamed players, Toronto would receive forward Shareef Abdur-Rahim, center Vladimir Stepania and guard Derek Anderson from Portland. Toronto proposed the multiplayer deal, Smith reports.

Carter asked during the summer to be traded but the Raptors had hoped the All-Star guard would change his mind. Toronto hasn't made the playoffs the past two seasons, and Sam Mitchell will be Carter's third coach in three years.

Carter told the Toronto Star in the offseason that "It's time for the truth: I want to be traded." Carter also said in a letter to fans posted on his Web site that he's not eager to wait while the team rebuilds.

"My frustration comes from the fact that we have not been able to create an equation to win ballgames," Carter wrote. "I am at the point in my career where I do not have time to wait two to four years for a team to mature."

Carter has four years remaining on his contract and remains one of the NBA's most popular players because of his highlight-reel dunks. But knee injuries have caused him to lose some of his explosiveness.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2004, 08:54 PM   #2
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light
Default RE:Vince to Portland

vince carter is a moron....the team that he's got now is playing very well....he's nothing more than a role player after he was derailed by knee injuries..and he's afraid to go to the bucket these days anyway

the raptors would be idiots to do this deal..derek anderson hasn't been the same player since juwan howard crushed him in the playoffs a couple years ago and abdur rahim is just another jump shooter..they've got chris bosh playing PF already

rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 09:32 PM   #3
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold
Default RE: Vince to Portland

haha. Just when you thought Toronto had turned the corner. FLUSH! What a terrible trade for Toronto. They are giving up the TWO best players in that deal, and giving them up for basically nothing. There is no way in hell Shareef re-signs in Toronto. He's been on awful teams his whole career. After this trade, Toronto may be the worst he's ever played for.. and that's saying a lot. This would be a salary dump and that's ALL. This is such a bad trade, it's amusing. haha!
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 09:45 PM   #4
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all

Rakesh, I don't understand your point. If Carter is only a role player than wouldn't it be wise for Toronto to get as much as possible for him? Rahim is in the final year of his contract so they can actually save a ton of money with this deal then start over and build around Bosh. I think it would be a good move for them because Carter isn't giving the full effort one would expect. His numbers are way down and you can probably attribute that to his demand to be traded. Rahim is way overrated but still a very nice player. If Carter gets traded to Portland you can expect his all-star numbers to magically reappear. If he is dogging it then I have no use for the man and no NBA team in their right mind should either. I thought Bosh was drafted as a center and could play there until Rahim went to free agency. Certainly, I agree with you in that they don't need anyone that will set Bosh back because this kid has got a real future. Rahim is a selfish player and just might do that. It might be a very iffy trade on both fronts. A rare trade that makes both teams better? or worse?
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 02:41 AM   #5
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

If it happens, its a big hit for the talent level of Toronto, but with all this trade talk an unhappiness, they probably knew more about their chances of re-signing him than we do so they got something for him.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 10:47 AM   #6
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

A terrible trade for Toronto. This does make portland a little better, but still not anything to be worried about.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 11:22 AM   #7
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

This smacks of a NYK/Suns situation from last year. The Raptors are dumping as much salary as possible, and the Blazers are trying to acquire that elusive franchise guard to lead them over the top.

Old 11-19-2004, 12:49 PM   #8
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally posted by: GP
Rakesh, I don't understand your point. If Carter is only a role player than wouldn't it be wise for Toronto to get as much as possible for him? Rahim is in the final year of his contract so they can actually save a ton of money with this deal then start over and build around Bosh. I think it would be a good move for them because Carter isn't giving the full effort one would expect. His numbers are way down and you can probably attribute that to his demand to be traded. Rahim is way overrated but still a very nice player. If Carter gets traded to Portland you can expect his all-star numbers to magically reappear. If he is dogging it then I have no use for the man and no NBA team in their right mind should either. I thought Bosh was drafted as a center and could play there until Rahim went to free agency. Certainly, I agree with you in that they don't need anyone that will set Bosh back because this kid has got a real future. Rahim is a selfish player and just might do that. It might be a very iffy trade on both fronts. A rare trade that makes both teams better? or worse?
I think it is a bad trade because the current toronto team with carter and rose is playing really really well, in spite of losing a couple games out west..they were in all their games till the end

Basically it's an if it ain't broke, don't fix it situation..

The problem is that Toronto is not guaranteed to get better but Portland is...they would plug vince carter and jalen rose into the shooting guard and small forward spots..and immediately you get better production than you did with rahim and anderson

That's why I think it'd be foolish..But if Carter is causing problems in the locker room and such, then go ahead and get rid of him. I haven't heard any reports of that and from what i've seen, the team has been doing well.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:02 PM   #9
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
but it is broken. They arent doing anything that is close to playoff play, and they would lose Carter for nothing. I call that broken. They are just getting the headstart on rebuilding now.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 07:42 PM   #10
endtroducing
Golden Member

endtroducing is on a distinguished road

how would they lose Vince for nothing? he's under contract for four more years...
Old 11-19-2004, 09:16 PM   #11
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all

I think they've already lost Vince.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 11:02 PM   #12
rakesh.s
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
Quote:
but it is broken. They arent doing anything that is close to playoff play, and they would lose Carter for nothing. I call that broken. They are just getting the headstart on rebuilding now.
i don't know if you're even following what's going on but they have been in every game they have played and even beat the spurs today coming back from down 20