Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 06-10-2002, 09:33 PM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Future still unsure for Hardaway
By Marc J. Spears
Denver Post Sports Writer

Monday, June 10, 2002 - Yolanda Hardaway told her husband she expects him to be playing point guard next season for the Denver Nuggets.
The Nuggets say it's in their best interest to weigh their options, so it's likely they won't decide until around the June 25 deadline whether to keep Tim Hardaway or buy out the final two years of his contract for $1 million. Hardaway

Hardaway is 10th all-time in the NBA in assists, third in 3-pointers, and he averaged 9.6 points and 5.5 assists in 14 games last season with the Nuggets. He missed the final 15 games after breaking his left foot March 23 against Seattle. The 13-year NBA veteran, who is slated to make $3.7 million next season, said he would welcome returning to Denver.

"I'll be more than happy to come back, help the team out, be a professional and play hard because I love to play the game," said Hardaway, 35. "But that's up to (general manager) Kiki (Vandeweghe).

"If it happens, it happens. I'm not going to say I don't want to be there, no. If it happens, I'll be there."

While in the Chicago last week for the predraft camp, Vandeweghe and Hardaway's agent, Henry Thomas, were not able to meet. Vandeweghe said Hardaway would bring leadership and a great work ethic if he returns and that "he can still play."

The other point guards on the roster are Kenny Satterfield and Carlos Arroyo, rookies last season with team options for next season.

"We'll probably make a decision pretty close to (June 25)," Vandeweghe said. "The variables are how the draft and the coaching situation are shaking out. I like Tim. We need a doctor take a look at his injury and hope to have one see him soon."

Hardaway said his recovery is ahead of schedule. He is out of his boot and walking around, and expects to be playing by mid-July. He has been doing foot and leg strengthening exercises and light work on an exercise bicycle and treadmill in Miami. He hopes to play two more seasons and says the ideal situation for his body is playing a maximum 35 minutes a game with limited practice.

Vandeweghe said there are no scheduled coaching opening interviews this week, and the June 26 NBA draft is the main priority. Former Nuggets star Alex English has said he could interview this week, and Denver recently received permission to speak to Utah assistant Phil Johnson.

Old 06-10-2002, 10:10 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

it might be time for Timmy to retire.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 10:40 PM   #3
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if he has to retire yet.

But, he needs to understand that he is no longer a starter and won't be good at logging heavy minutes by any means.
Old 06-11-2002, 08:03 AM   #4
Drbio
Banned

but I think in his mind he needs to be "The Man". Therefore I think he should retire.
Old 06-11-2002, 01:19 PM   #5
MavsFanFinley
Guru

but I think in his mind he needs to be "The Man". Therefore I think he should retire.

Well, if he can't get over that, then retiring might be better for him.
Old 06-11-2002, 01:23 PM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

hardaway can still be a serviceable backup.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 04:27 PM   #7
Drbio
Banned

Sure he can...even servicable plus....but I think he overvalues himself at this point. He earned it, but it's probably time to move on.