Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-06-2005, 12:33 AM   #81
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future
Default RE: Mavs vs Fakers game thread

Ya, I think there were two or three CLEAN blocks the Mavs had that were called fouls. Finley had atleast one and so did Terry. I hate to complain about fouls when our team won though.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2005, 12:39 AM   #82
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough
Default RE:Mavs vs Fakers game thread

Quote:
Originally posted by: DubOverdose
Ya, I think there were two or three CLEAN blocks the Mavs had that were called fouls. Finley had atleast one and so did Terry. I hate to complain about fouls when our team won though.
One thing I hate with a passion is when a ref makes a foul call when there wasn't even one there. The Fin, Josh and Terry blocks really irritated me but like you said I didn't do much complaining because we won.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 01:01 AM   #83
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Here are some postgame quotes. Those of you that think Nellie NEVER says anything nice about his team/players, take note of his comments about Terry, Dampier, and Harris (Ape, you might want to read the Dampier comments twice, since you think the coaching staff hates him [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] ).

<u>Mavericks Head Coach Don Nelson</u>
We had great play out of our point guards and I commend both of them. Dirk wasn’t as sharp as we have seen him, but he ended up with some decent numbers. For the first time, I wanted to practice tomorrow and Avery (Johnson) wanted to give him the day off.

On the balance scoring:
I love it. We have been scoring a lot at home. 118 points is still a lot of points no matter where you play. I thought Terry set the stage by making his shots when he had them. He got into areas where he was very effective and he only had one turnover. I put the rookie in and he was just as good. I think that is the first time that I have been pleased with both point guards in the same game. They both were strong tonight. There was a lot of encouraging things tonight.

On Terry moving with the ball:
It’s a bad habit (him standing holding the ball) and you have to keep reminding him. We are working with him and I think it is paying dividends. Avery was a great point guard for many years and he is a wonderful teacher.

On the center & point guard:
We got good play out of the two positions that are the most important in basketball: point guard and center. I thought we were pretty consistent. Damp rebounded and was a presence.

On defending Kobe Bryant:
I want to do better, but I was satisfied. He’s a very aggressive player right now. He’s a hard cover. We had a couple breakdowns. Any time you make a mistake on a guy like that, he is going to score. We covered him down the stretch extremely well.

<u>Mavericks Forward Josh Howard</u>
On defending Kobe Bryant and containing him in the first quarter:
He’s a great player and he still put up 32 points. I felt we did well, me and my team. That was big to jump out to an early lead which we have been doing for the last week and a half. I had a lot of help from my teammates. That’s one thing I credit it too, is my teammates helping me out because there were a lot of times that if they weren’t helping me out, he would have beaten me.

On why Kobe Bryant was able to score rapidly in the second and third quarters:
His team was down and he needed to put up more shots. He got a lot of open shots off of second-chance rebounds.

<u>Mavericks Guard Devin Harris</u>
On the Dallas point-guard play from he and Jason Terry:
Jason had a really good game. We got the ball moving forward in the first half and really got it going. Jason was the hot shooter. I just came in and tried to keep get a few minutes off the bench and we were fortunate to play well tonight.

On hitting the three-pointer at the buzzer to end the first half:

On how Don Nelson’s pushing the point-guard position is starting to really pay off:
He has been pushing us really hard and it is only going to make us better. We haven’t played great as of yet, but we have the best games ahead of us now. We are starting to really get a hold of the system and we are running with it.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:30 AM   #84
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
On how Don Nelson’s pushing the point-guard position is starting to really pay off:
He has been pushing us really hard and it is only going to make us better. We haven’t played great as of yet, but we have the best games ahead of us now. We are starting to really get a hold of the system and we are running with it.
I can't express how pleased I am that Nellie decided to shelve Armstrong and go with the kid...It'll pay off in April and May.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:57 AM   #85
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Damp: 41min (13p, 13r & 4b).
Terry: 32min (28p, 6r, 5a, 2s, 9-10FG & 5-5 3PT)
Harris: 15min (11p, 1r, 4a, 1s, 5-6FG, 1-2 3PT)
DA: DNP (Coach's Decision)

Perfect!!

Terry dominated the 1Q, Harris the 2Q, Damp the 3Q and finally Dirk dominated 4Q. Of course, Fin, Josh, Stack & Hendu were quite consistent throughout the game. Not sure if that was by design but certainly quite interesting to see how it turned out.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 10:48 PM   #86
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Listened to all of the nelson press conference. He was talking about defensive rebounding. He talked about "some" long rebounds but mainly stated that with josh,dirk, damp jumping out on kobe that it's incumbent on fin/stack to do a better job on the boards.

Pretty astute by nellie, I guess he sort of knows a little bit about bball. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 10:58 PM   #87
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

I saw plenty of times last night when Dirk, Damp and Josh would just stand there and let the opponent get a board. HE is right somewhat that there was times when Dirk was coming out to help on Kobe but all 3 of them never helped out on Kobe at the same time so I don't by that excuse. Damp did have 13 boards though so it's hard to complain about that much.

1996-2005
Old 01-07-2005, 12:52 AM   #88
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd have to look at the stats however...

Finley 2, Stack 2... Dirk/Damp got theirs, josh got his 6, I'd say he was pretty right on.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 01-07-2005, 01:13 AM   #89
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: dude1394
I'd have to look at the stats however...

Finley 2, Stack 2... Dirk/Damp got theirs, josh got his 6, I'd say he was pretty right on.
Right about what? Fin and Stack rebounding? I could've told you they didn't rebound because they didn't but last night there were plenty of times when everyone was just standing around as if the rebound will come to them.

1996-2005
Old 01-07-2005, 01:30 AM   #90
dude1394
Guru

Yea right about fin/stack not pulling down more than 2 rebounds each. All the while dirk/damp/josh are hitting their averages and damp exceeding them. The only thing that says that this wasn't partly some of their issue is that mihm got a lot of those and damp had one of his best rebouding games.