Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 12-01-2017, 12:21 PM   #1
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
LOL....not comparing to anyone. Just adding to sefant77's point about hype and the range that a player could end up in.

I remember reading/hearing comments in the media how Kandi was a "can't miss" and that was in the days when his position was more relevant.
And who can forget Bargnani, the next Dirk. Some former scouts are prolly still tellin those stories while they talk about those free floor mats while selling used cars.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 01:43 PM   #2
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
And who can forget Bargnani, the next Dirk. Some former scouts are prolly still tellin those stories while they talk about those free floor mats while selling used cars.
The comparisons to Dirk for the past 15 or so years with virtually no one coming even close indicates just how unique and special he is. Portzingis and and Markkanen are about the only ones who have a chance in this NBA imo.

It comes down to what is between the ears with some of these players in the draft and I think with Rick that is doubly important.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 02:13 PM   #3
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The comparisons to Dirk for the past 15 or so years with virtually no one coming even close indicates just how unique and special he is. Portzingis and and Markkanen are about the only ones who have a chance in this NBA imo.

It comes down to what is between the ears with some of these players in the draft and I think with Rick that is doubly important.
Nobody is ever going to be the "next Dirk" -- not Porzingis, not Markkanen. It will never happen... At best, those guys will define themselves individually, the same way that Kobe never really became the "next Jordan" -- he became Kobe.

Some players are just too damn unique to emulate, no matter how hard you imitate.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 02:52 PM   #4
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Nobody is ever going to be the "next Dirk" -- not Porzingis, not Markkanen. It will never happen... At best, those guys will define themselves individually, the same way that Kobe never really became the "next Jordan" -- he became Kobe.

Some players are just too damn unique to emulate, no matter how hard you imitate.
Bingo. There are so many things that made Dirk unique that we will never see another like him. Others might have similar traits, but will never have the same effect on the game that Dirk did.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 03:24 PM   #5
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

My point is more about the success and impact of that type of player more than becoming the exact player. You can say that about every player because no two players will ever be the exact same.
Dirk had a lot of Bird in him and I'm sure many will see a lot of Dirk in Portzingis and Markkanen. My point is that will be high praise for those guys as Dirk has set the bar high. The mere fact people want to find the next Dirk makes him one of the most unique players and the best at the style in his time.

You rarely hear "he's the next Bird" now because now they are saying "he's the next Dirk".
Until someone takes that to another level for that style (if that is even possible), Dirk will always be the one to compare to.

I do agree there will never be another like him.

Last edited by rimrocker; 12-01-2017 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-01-2017, 04:50 PM   #6
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Dirk had a lot of Bird in him
I watched Larry Bird, Dirk is no Larry Bird -- the biggest thing they have in common is the color of their skin... Kevin Garnett played more like Bird than Dirk ever did.

Porzingis and Markkanaen are both white, European jump-shooters -- that's about the beginning and end of how they'll ever really compare to Dirk. Hell, Markkanen looks way more like Bosh to me, but skin color, so Dirk... And Porzingis has nice range, but he's way more active in the paint, especially on defense -- Dirk never averaged 2 blocks per game at any point in his career... I just think most of the comparisons to Dirk are shallow as shit.

Dirk popularized the stretch-4 and taught players how to create space with the high-release step back...So most NBA players have "a little Dirk" in them at this point -- he's part of the league's DNA -- but nobody is going to be the next Dirk... Just like you don't get to be the next Kareem by shooting hook shots or be the next Dr. J by throwing down high-flying dunks. Some players just stand apart.

Last edited by Underdog; 12-01-2017 at 05:08 PM.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:54 PM   #7
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
I watched Larry Bird, Dirk is no Larry Bird -- the biggest thing they have in common is the color of their skin... Kevin Garnett played more like Bird than Dirk ever did.

Porzingis and Markkanaen are both white, European jump-shooters -- that's about the beginning and end of how they'll ever really compare to Dirk. Hell, Markkanen looks way more like Bosh to me, but skin color, so Dirk... And Porzingis has nice range, but he's way more active in the paint, especially on defense -- Dirk never averaged 2 blocks per game at any point in his career... I just think most of the comparisons to Dirk are shallow as shit.

Dirk popularized the stretch-4 and taught players how to create space with the high-release step back...So most NBA players have "a little Dirk" in them at this point -- he's part of the league's DNA -- but nobody is going to be the next Dirk... Just like you don't get to be the next Kareem by shooting hook shots or be the next Dr. J by throwing down high-flying dunks. Some players just stand apart.
You are absolutely right...my bad.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:36 PM   #8
Underdog

Quote:
You are absolutely right...my bad.
LOL, hope I didn't offend -- we've all fallen prey to the narrative, myself included. It's easy to generalize, but you have to paint with REALLY broad strokes to compare Dirk to Bird, or Porzingis to Dirk... And after 20 years of evidence, it's about time for all the proven-wrong narratives about Dirk to die.