Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 06-06-2007, 07:11 PM   #1
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold
Default Wade believes James is up to NBA finals challenge: Tim Reynolds / AP

Wade believes James is up to NBA finals challenge
By TIM REYNOLDS, AP Sports Writer
June 5, 2007

MIAMI (AP) -- A year ago, LeBron James was one of Dwyane Wade's biggest supporters during the NBA playoffs.

Now Wade is returning the favor.

Wade, MVP of the finals last year with the Miami Heat, is sure his close friend can handle the pressure that comes with leading a team into the championship round.

James and the Cleveland Cavaliers meet the San Antonio Spurs in this year's finals, starting Thursday night.

"He's one of the best players in the world," Wade said Tuesday. "There's not much you have to say."

Still, there's plenty of dialogue between the two stars.

Wade offered James some counsel during this year's Cleveland-Detroit series for the East title. The Heat played the Pistons the last two years for the conference title, splitting those matchups.

"It's been rumored out there that I talked to him throughout the Detroit series a little bit, kind of what he did for me last year," Wade said. "I just gave him some pointers from my point of view on what I'd seen and from playing Detroit before. He knows what to do."

Wade was the undisputed star of last season's NBA finals, averaging 34.7 points for the Heat in their six-game win over the Dallas Mavericks.

These days, though, Wade is thankful to simply be walking without pain.

Three weeks removed from surgeries to repair his left knee and left shoulder, Wade said he expects a smooth recovery from both procedures, yet still isn't sure if he'll be ready for training camp in October. He began rehabbing the knee two weeks ago and starts shoulder exercises next week.

"I'm a hard worker. I know I'm going to do everything that they tell me to do to get back to the point I need to be back to," Wade said. "I was never worried about that. That comes with the territory of playing sports. You're going to have to have surgery to get yourself back."

Grueling hours of rehab represents something much different from the excitement he and the Heat had this time last year on their march to an NBA crown.

This year, Wade is merely an interested finals observer. But he has high hopes for 2008, telling season-ticket holders Tuesday that the Heat will be "new and improved ... and refocused" next season.

Wade took some time to decide which procedures to have; he originally wasn't sure if he needed the shoulder surgery after rehabbing the joint for six weeks following the dislocation in February. Ultimately, he said getting the shoulder and knee done at once was the most logical move.

"I'm glad I got both of them out of the way and got them done, so I'm on a faster pace to recovery," Wade said.

He was bedridden for five days after the surgery, barely able to move. He can now drive and walk, and is getting around without much difficulty.

"No crutches for me," said Wade, who averaged 27.4 points in 51 regular-season games this season for the Heat, who were swept in the first round by Chicago. "I'm tougher than that."

It's already been a busy offseason for Wade, with the surgeries and last week's birth of his second son, Zion. James and his fiancee are also expecting a second son shortly, and Wade and James spoken often about the importance of fatherhood to them.

They entered the league together in the 2003 draft, James at No. 1, Wade at No. 5. A friendship was struck up quickly, and although Wade didn't come out and say he was openly rooting for Cleveland to win this year's title, he clearly wants to see James fare well.

"He knows how to handle everything," Wade said. "He knows how to handle the pressure people put on him. He's done it. In four years, he's in the finals. No one would have projected that."
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2007, 07:13 PM   #2
SeattleMavsFan

SeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the roughSeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the roughSeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the roughSeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the rough

i hate wade...
Old 06-06-2007, 09:32 PM   #3
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

Lebron James is everything Dwayne Wade wishes he could be.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:52 PM   #4
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Good...glad to see diva get out there where no referees can protect him. Bron-bron better win the thing or he'll be a choker.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:56 PM   #5
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

Janett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to all

I think Kobe, Wade and Lebron are great with loads of talent. Lebron has the size of a center and plays like a point guard and it is truely scarry what he could possibly do. His talent is unbelievable.

If he and his team could beat the Spurs, to me it would be one of the biggest upsets ever. Maybe they can, they beat the Pistons. I pick the Spurs in 5 and possibly 6. Tim Duncan is the best in basketball and he is also the smartest in basketball. He has the smarts of a Bird & Magic. No one can stop him down low on Cleveland and i feel he will kill them. I also feel Parker and Gino will rip them bad. So much so, that they will just let Finley, Barry and Horry shoot wide open shots. This is when Barry and Finley are really good.

Lebron might average 40 or 50 but i just do not think his teammates can put Cleveland over the hump against SA. They are like a highly fined tuned machine with the best coach in basketball. I wouldn't mind seeing Cleveland win and what a upset this would be but i see it being over pretty fast. Either way, the Cavs have had a great year.
Janett_Reno is offline   Reply With Quote