Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 06-19-2003, 08:28 AM   #1
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice
Default 6/19 ESPN INSIDER - Pavel, Badiane, Varejo, Perkins, Vranes, Nikagbatse out of draft ?

Draft Rumors: In or Out of the NBA Draft?
By Chad Ford
NBA Insider
Send an Email to Chad Ford Thursday, June 19
Updated: June 19
8:44 AM ET

At around 5 p.m. ET today, the NBA Draft picture is going to get a whole lot clearer.

With less than eight hours to go before college and international underclassmen can withdraw from the draft, there are still a several big names out there sitting on the fence.

The biggest is 7-foot-5, 303-pound Russian center Pavel Podkolzine. After a big workout in front of everyone in the NBA at the Chicago pre-draft camp and a number of individual workouts for lottery teams, Podkolzine told Insider late Wednesday night that he is seriously considering pulling his name from the draft today.

Why? The elusive NBA promise.

While every team in the lottery has told Podkolzine's agent that Pavel is a lock for the top 10, he's still not holding a promise from a team to select him that high.

Pavel, along with a number of other NBA prospects, is seeking the holy grail of the NBA draft -- a guarantee from a team that, if he's still on the board, it will take him.

Like several other top prospects, including Mike Sweetney, Podkolzine wants some assurances that on draft night he's not sitting in the green room looking forlorn on national television.

Podkolzine's situation is the most intriguing. Insider talked to six teams in the lottery on Wednesday. All of them thought there was no way Podkolzine could slip out of the top 10.

"That's really inconceivable," one GM told Insider. "He's worked out better than anyone thought, he's further along than we expected and the doctors just aren't worried about the pituitary thing."

The "pituitary thing" is acromegaly (a growth hormone secreting pituitary adenoma). In layman's terms, Podkolzine's pituitary gland secretes an unusually high amount of a growth hormone, which partly explains his enormous stature. A quick, minor surgery can fix the problem and none of the teams Insider talked to on Wednesday indicated it would be a problem.

So what is the problem? While everyone claims to love him (the N.Y. Post reported today that the Knicks were trying to move up from No. 9 to get him) no one will commit.

"When you're dealing with a kid that's 18," agent Justin Zanik told Insider, "you want to take every precaution. He has four more chances at this. You want to feel as good as you can that he's making the most out of this chance."

Blame the unstable nature of the first round on the commitment issue. Teams have been burned in the past by committing too early only to see a player they covet slip in the draft. Then teams are forced to decide between reneging on a promise to draft the guy the really want, or settling for the guy they committed to.

"You have to really love a guy -- and I mean really love a guy -- to give him a promise," one Western Conference GM told Insider. "I know it's popular for teams and the media to speculate about promises, but in actuality, I don't think it happens very often. I think agents would like everyone to believe it happens -- that way they can shift the blame if things go wrong in the draft on someone else -- but the truth is it normally doesn't make sense for a team to make a promise."

Several other GMs agreed. So where does that leave Pavel, Sweetney and a number of bubble first-rounders like Jameer Nelson, Ndudi Ebi, Kendrick Perkins, Maurice Williams and Slavko Vranes?

Hoping for a guarantee in a business that has very few of them.

If Podkolzine doesn't get one?

"Then I go back to Italy," Podkolzine told Insider late Wednesday night. "I want to make sure a team believes in me. I want to make sure that they want me. If not, I can go back to Italy, work on my game, and try again next year."

In or Out of the NBA Draft?

Here's a look at where a number of other players stand on their deadline decision.

IN: Maciej Lampe, Mickael Pietrus, Jarvis Hayes, Boris Diaw, Leandrinho Barbosa, Carlos Delfino, Travis Outlaw, Zaur Pachulia, Zoran Planinic, Josh Powell,

LIKELY IN: Pavel Podkolzine, Mike Sweetney, Ndudi Ebi, Sofaklis Schortsanitis, Viktor Khryapa, Szymon Szewczyk

OUT: Chris Thomas, Ezarem Lorbek, Marcus Moore, Anderson Varejao, Aleksandar Djuric, Kresimir Loncar, Misan Nikagbatse

ON THE FENCE: Jameer Nelson, Kendrick Perkins, Maurice Williams, Malick Badiane, Slavko Vranes, Alexsander Vujacic, Blagota Sekulic, Andre Emmett, Jason Parker, David Brkic

Check back on Insider throughout the day with more updates as players make their decisions.

Promises, Promises

Speaking of those elusive promises, the rumor mill went into high alert Wednesday when high school star Travis Outlaw decided to keep his name in the draft.

Several league sources told Insider that the Blazers promised Outlaw they'd take him with the No. 23 pick. Outlaw, an athletic 6-foot-9 power forward, is considered to be one of the best athletes in the draft. However, his wiry frame will keep him from contributing for several years. That's cool with the Blazers, who have too much talent on their team anyway. He wouldn't be able to crack the rotation right away.

If you're keeping track at home, that brings the number of so-called "promises" being rumored up to three.

Several league sources claim that the Celtics will take UNLV point guard Marcus Banks with one of their picks.

The other prominent rumor, that the Suns had locked up Yugoslavian forward Zarko Cabarkapa at No. 17, took a hit late Wednesday. Cabarkapa worked out for the Suns and Lakers before suddenly returning to Serbia several weeks ago. Numerous sources claimed that the Suns and Lakers had both given him promises and were stashing him away for the rest of the pre-draft period.

However, Cabarkapa will return to the U.S. this weekend and has three more workouts scheduled over the next week. He'll be in Milwaukee this weekend and also plans to work out for the Knicks and Nets early next week.

There is also a healthy amount of speculation that Croatian point guard Zoran Planinic and Georgian big man Zaur Pachulia have received first-round guarantees. Planinic's name has been linked to the Nets.

Trade Rumor of the Day

The Nuggets said it would take a knock-your-socks-off offer to trade their No. 3 pick in the draft. They may have gotten one on Wednesday.

Several NBA sources claim that the Kings are willing to part with all-star Peja Stojakovic and super sub Bobby Jackson for the No. 3 pick, Marcus Camby and Ryan Bowen.

The Kings obviously would take Carmelo Anthony with the No. 3 pick. Camby would give them another big man who could spell Vlade Divac and Chris Webber if he ever got healthy.

Why would the Nuggets pull the trigger on the deal?

They would immediately get better with the addition of Stojakovic and Jackson. Remember, they'd still have roughly 18 million worth of cap room to spend on a couple of free agents, and some in the organization feel they need a few more established players to lure the best free agents.

Workout News

Raptors: Georgia Tech's Chris Bosh, KU's Nick Collison and Serbian forward David Brkic worked out in Toronto on Wednesday. KU's Kirk Hinrich, Oregon's Luke Ridnour and Hawaii's Carl English will be in town today.

Heat: Georgetown power forward Michael Sweetney and Serbian shooting guard Alexsandar Pavlovic worked out in Miami on Wednesday.

Knicks: North Dakota's Jerome Beasley worked out for the Knicks on Wednesday. Georgia's Jarvis Hayes will workout for the Knicks today.

Wizards: Georgia's Jarvis Hayes worked out in Washington on Wednesday.

Jazz: Russian big man Pavel Podkolzine, Serbian Blagota Sekulic and Arizona's Jason Gardner were in Utah on Wednesday

Suns: Arizona's Luke Walton and Senegal's Malik Badiane worked out in Phoenix on Wednesday.

Hornets: BYU's Travis Hansen worked out on Wednesday. Serbian shooting guard Alexsandar Pavlovic is in town today.

Bulls: GM John Paxson couldn't make the trip to France to see Mickael Pietrus work out. However, assistant GM B. J. Armstrong did go. Paxson claimed that he doesn't have to see the kid in person to draft him. "Would I draft a guy I haven't seen?" Paxson said. "Yes, and it goes back to what I said when I got the job [on April 14], and that is I'm going to depend on the people who have been scouting all year to make decisions. I said that back then, and I still believe that."

Warriors: Greek big man Sofaklis Schortsanitis worked out on Wednesday.

Blazers: Russian forward Viktor Khryapa worked out on Wednesday.
Old 06-19-2003, 08:34 AM   #2
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough
Default 6/19 ESPN INSIDER - Pavel, Badiane, Varejo, Perkins, Vranes, Nikagbatse out of draft ?

Thanks. It looks like a couple of the late round mystery men have decided to take there name out of the draft. I am sure we will hear more names today. No one really surprising though.

OUT: Chris Thomas, Ezarem Lorbek, Marcus Moore, Anderson Varejao, Aleksandar Djuric, Kresimir Loncar, Misan Nikagbatse
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 08:36 AM   #3
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all

Quote:
Trade Rumor of the Day

The Nuggets said it would take a knock-your-socks-off offer to trade their No. 3 pick in the draft. They may have gotten one on Wednesday.

Several NBA sources claim that the Kings are willing to part with all-star Peja Stojakovic and super sub Bobby Jackson for the No. 3 pick, Marcus Camby and Ryan Bowen.

The Kings obviously would take Carmelo Anthony with the No. 3 pick. Camby would give them another big man who could spell Vlade Divac and Chris Webber if he ever got healthy.

Why would the Nuggets pull the trigger on the deal?

They would immediately get better with the addition of Stojakovic and Jackson. Remember, they'd still have roughly 18 million worth of cap room to spend on a couple of free agents, and some in the organization feel they need a few more established players to lure the best free agents.
This trade would make the Mavs so much better!!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

These are things that I read and live by!
Ummmmm Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 08:39 AM   #4
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm surprised Vranes and Perkins are still on the fence. I thought they were pretty much locks for the draft. We will see in afew hours I suppose.

That Kings trade rumor is very interesting. Denver would be wise to score Peja. Peja could really assist Tsikitishvili in his development while providing solid play. BoJax is better to me than Bibby. If I am Kiki V. I do that trade although Bowen is a rising star. Camby has been lukewarm happy in Denver and they will likely get Gilbert Arenas to sign. They would need a big man in free agency though. Interesting.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 08:41 AM   #5
Chicago JK

[quote]
Originally posted by: Drbio
I'm surprised Vranes and Perkins are still on the fence. I thought they were pretty much locks for the draft. We will see in afew hours I suppose.

This morning in the Memphis paper, Perkins reps were saying that he is staying in the draft. I saw a quote from Calipari saying he didn't really understand the decision but he will support him.
Old 06-19-2003, 09:16 AM   #6
signoftimes

signoftimes is on a distinguished road

The kings/denver trades are real interesting. Getting rid of Camby(who's game has been sliding the past two yyears)and picking up Peja and Bobby jackson would get the nuggets more than 17 wins this next season
signoftimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 10:03 AM   #7
Julius

Julius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to all
Default RE: 6/19 ESPN INSIDER - Pavel, Badiane, Varejo, Perkins, Vranes, Nikagbatse out of draft ?

We should promise Nikagbatse to take him with our second round pick! I think he would be perfect fit for the MAVS, his style of play is really made for the NBA, esspecially for Dallas. The MAVS would be able to trade one or two of their guards, and can look for some big men.
Don't know if he will be happy to be the 57 pick, but we should try!!
Julius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 10:05 AM   #8
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

And, if the Mavs love Badiane, why haven't we whispered sweet nothings in his ear ?

Could it be that we're more interested in trading up.

just a thought, since so many people here like Badiane.
Old 06-19-2003, 10:12 AM   #9
Tony tha Mavs fan

Tony tha Mavs fan is on a distinguished road

Peja and B Jax to the Nuggets for Bowen, Camby and their pick? Damn Kiki is such a pal to the Mavs, that trade would take the Kings from contenders to lottery team in a matter of seconds. But it would make the Nuggets alot better, hmmm interesting trade
Old 06-19-2003, 10:23 AM   #10
digit

digit has a spectacular aura aboutdigit has a spectacular aura aboutdigit has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the info...Nikagbatse out? Well, I hope that`s not true...I`d love to see Misan on our team...as Julius already stated, pick this guy with the 2nd pick...what can you do wrong with a late 2nd rounder...he would be a fan favourite with his style of play (defense included)...
digit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 01:55 PM   #11
signoftimes

Didn't know if this was posted yet, so I threw it in here.

Quote:
Villanueva chooses UConn over NBA
By Associated Press, 6/19/2003 14:24
STORRS, Conn. (AP) High school star Charlie Villanueva has decided to withdraw his name from the NBA draft and will attend Connecticut next year, the New Haven Register reported Thursday.

Villanueva, who had until 4 p.m. to fax the NBA of his intentions, had worked out for several NBA teams in the past two weeks, including the New Jersey Nets Thursday morning.

''This is the smart decision for Charlie,'' Gary Charles, Villanueva's AAU coach for the Long Island Panthers told the Register. ''He doesn't want to be just a good NBA player. He feels if he goes to UConn, he can become a great NBA player.''

The 6-foot-10 220-pound forward from Brooklyn, N.Y., had said he would attend UConn if he didn't think he'd be a first-round selection in the draft.

Mike Enright, UConn sports information director, said the school had not heard of Villanueva's decision, but was expecting to have a statement later on Thursday.

Villanueva would join a recruiting class that also includes 6-10 240-pound power forward Josh Boone of Sykesville, Md.; 6-2 point guard Marcus Williams of Los Angeles and 6-6 junior college transfer Ryan Thompson of Gold Coast, Australia.

Ed Nelson, a 6-8 power forward, is also transferring from Georgia Tech but will have to sit out next season.

Villanueva averaged 19 points and 11 rebounds at Blair Academy in New Jersey last season.
Old 06-19-2003, 02:05 PM   #12
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

Mandyahl will become famous soon enoughMandyahl will become famous soon enough
Default RE: 6/19 ESPN INSIDER - Pavel, Badiane, Varejo, Perkins, Vranes, Nikagbatse out of draft ?

good for villanueva
Old 06-19-2003, 02:39 PM   #13
Lonely PSU Mavs Fan

Lonely PSU Mavs Fan is on a distinguished road

I am not sure what pavel is thinking. If he goes back to his club team it is highly unlikely that he will still have the same hype next year. What if he gets hurt? what if he plays horrible? What if his pituitary problem does not go away? He has had great workouts (supposedly, its not like i have been to any), and he is 7-4, he has to be a lock for first round. The only reason i see him exiting is because he wants to be top 3 next year. I just think it would be wise of him to stay in the draft.
Old 06-19-2003, 03:07 PM   #14
signoftimes

This just in, Perkins stays in the draft

Quote:
Posted on Thu, Jun. 19, 2003

High School Star says he's ready for the NBA
Associated Press

HOUSTON - Former Beaumont Ozen High School star Kendrick Perkins reiterated his plan Thursday to skip college and go directly to the NBA.

"He had some good workouts with NBA teams and he wants to go forward with his goal to play in the NBA," Ozen coach Andre Boutte said. "I won't speculate if he'll go in the first round. I do know he's worked his tail off to be drafted."

Perkins announced last month that he intended to declare himself for the June 26 NBA draft, but he also has signed a letter of intent with the University of Memphis. Perkins had until Thursday to withdraw his name from the NBA draft list.

Perkins led Ozen to a 96-3 record in his final three high school seasons. He averaged 27.5 points, 16.4 rebounds and 7.8 blocks per game last season, when Ozen lost in the state championship finals to Fort Worth Dunbar.

Perkins worked out for the Rockets last month and he also has had workouts with the Boston Celtics, Dallas Mavericks and twice with the NBA champion San Antonio Spurs.
Old 06-19-2003, 03:10 PM   #15
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

thanks for keeping us posted, signoftimes.
Old 06-19-2003, 03:17 PM   #16
Chicago JK

don't understand why Pavel is taking himself out of the draft. His value appears at a peak level. No telling what will happen when scouts get a chance to look at him for a full year. I think if you are a top 8 pick, that you have to declare for the draft. Very interesting. I wonder if he got wind that he was going to be a Clipper? Maybe he is smarter than we think.

Travis Outlaw to the Blazers? Seems like a classic Blazer pick.
Old 06-19-2003, 03:19 PM   #17
OutletPass
Diamond Member

Well, it's official....Pavel pulled out.

good gracious !
Old 06-19-2003, 03:20 PM   #18
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all

Quote:
http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/58939.htm

June 19, 2003 -- The Knicks received a fax from the reps of 7-5 center Pavel Podzokline yesterday, informing them the Russian giant was diagnosed Tuesday night with a pituitary gland disorder called Acromegaly.

It's roughly the same problem that afflicted former NBA 7-7 center Gheorghe Muresan, whose career was shortened by ankle and back injuries, which were believed to be related. Acromegaly occurs when the pituitary produces too much growth hormone.

The Knicks' reaction? They don't seem overly concerned and regard it as a "small issue."

GM Scott Layden called agent Justin Zanik yesterday to tell him the diagnosis had no effect on their interest, proving it by scheduling a second workout with the 18-year-old Russian battleship for either Tuesday or Wednesday. The NBA Draft is next Thursday.

The Knicks, who pick ninth, and the Heat, who select fifth, will be the only two teams to work out the 300-pound Russian giant twice.

Toronto has considered him at No. 4 and could be a blockbuster trade partner as the Knicks are considering moving up to get Podzokline. They could offer their 30th pick (first selection of the second round received from Denver). Point-guard-of-the-future Milos Vujanic, who, the Knicks fear, could stay in Barcelona for two more seasons, is also trade bait, as is Latrell Sprewell.

The Knicks could trade down if none of the big men they crave is still on the board. Seven-foot center Chris Kaman is their next-rated center and Mike Sweetney and Chris Bosh are high on their power-forward board.

In an e-mailed letter to Knick fans, Layden wrote he will "use the resources we have to find ways to improve the team. We currently have three picks - No. 9, 30 and 39, which we feel will be used in any number of ways to improve our team for the future. We are looking at many scenarios, from trades to using the picks themselves."

The Post reported yesterday Podzokline tested for a pituitary gland disorder at the Chicago pre-draft camp two weeks ago. Zanik confirmed yesterday test results came back positive, and Podzokline will undergo an operation in August - after summer league - and will be sidelined two to four weeks.

Zanik has refused to compare Podzokline's condition to Muresan's because he will receive treatment at a much younger age than Muresan. Zanik claims he spoke to 21 teams yesterday with none expressing concern

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

These are things that I read and live by!
Ummmmm Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 03:26 PM   #19
signoftimes

Quote:
Well, it's official....Pavel pulled out.
Unbelievable, 3 months ago, the Mav's were looking at him with their 29th pick and this week he was a gaurenteed lottery pick and then he pulls out. He will definitely have the eyes of the basketball world on him for the next year.
Old 06-19-2003, 03:44 PM   #20
signoftimes

Jameer Nelson is no longer on the fence, he's out.

St. Joe's Nelson not feeling the draft
Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - Saint Joseph's University junior point guard Jameer Nelson has decided to withdraw his name from consideration for the 2003 NBA Draft, submitting the required letter to the NBA office on Thursday.

Nelson, who filed his original consideration letter with the NBA office on May 12, never signed with an agent and therefore retains his final year of collegiate eligibility under a new NCAA regulation.

"I've said all along that Jameer is the best point guard in America, but he is an even better person," said Saint Joseph's head coach Phil Martelli. "He cares so much about his school, his teammates and our program that no one should be surprised with this decision."

Nelson is widely considered to be one of the top point guards in the country. In his three seasons with the Hawks, Nelson has played in 93 games, averaging 15.4 points per game while shooting 44.4 percent from the field. He also has handed out 5.8 assists per contest.

In 2002-2003, he led the Hawks to a third straight Atlantic 10 regular-season title and their second NCAA Tournament at-large bid in three years.

He averaged 19.7 points and 4.7 assists in 30 games last season for the Hawks, who were eliminated in the first round of the NCAA Tournament by Auburn.

The NBA Draft is on June 26.

Old 06-19-2003, 03:49 PM   #21
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

wow, i can't believe that pavel pulled out. weird.
Old 06-19-2003, 04:48 PM   #22
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Somebody sold Pavel the GOOD stuff on the street corner when he came to America. AMAZING.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote