Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 06-21-2003, 09:36 PM   #1
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all
Default Lewis vs. Klitschko

anyone watching?
Old 06-21-2003, 09:36 PM   #2
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all
Default RE: Lewis vs. Klitschko

Lewis looks terrible
Old 06-21-2003, 09:37 PM   #3
Just211
Platinum Member

Klitschko is looking pretty good. Lewis better wake up, or he's gonna lose the belt
Old 06-21-2003, 09:39 PM   #4
Just211
Platinum Member

both guys are bleeding already.
Old 06-21-2003, 09:43 PM   #5
Just211
Platinum Member

looks like Lewis woke up, and klitschko's cut on his eye is huge
Old 06-21-2003, 09:55 PM   #6
Just211
Platinum Member

ahh shit, they stopped the fight. Lewis would have lost. It was a good fight, but the ref stopped it. I smell rematch.
Old 06-21-2003, 10:12 PM   #7
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Yeah bullshit decision.
20 mins after the fight and Klitschkos eye still isn´t swollen. He looks bad but he can see clearly. Actually the doc lied. He said that Klitschkos vision was blocked on the left eye (that was the reason the fight was stopped). That was clearly not the case. Klitschko could have gone on for at least a couple rounds. And he was ahead by points too 58-56. Funny how the crow booed Lewis though and how they cheered Klitschko.

I hope there is a rematch, but I highly doubt it.
Lewis will probably fight Roy Jones and retire after that.

Bullshit decision.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 10:21 PM   #8
Just211
Platinum Member

it was a nasty cut, but it didn't look like it was bleeding that bad. If Lewis is so worried about his legacy as a champion, he has to do a rematch, or he'll go out a pussy
Old 06-21-2003, 10:29 PM   #9
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm glad I didn't pay to see that fight. Klitschko was the better fighter tonight.

The doc's are being awfully overprotective these days. It's hard to argue with them being careful to protect the fighters though with the recent run of serious injuries in the last few years.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 10:37 PM   #10
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: Just211
it was a nasty cut, but it didn't look like it was bleeding that bad. If Lewis is so worried about his legacy as a champion, he has to do a rematch, or he'll go out a pussy
The point is that they stopped the fight because the doc said Klitschkos vision was blocked. That´s plain and simple a lie. Right now 45 minutes after the fight he´s on german TV and looks into the camera with both eyes wide open. The doc cheated, he lied. Boxing can be soooo bullshit at times.

I´m sure there won´t be a rematch. Lewis now knows how hard Klitschko can punch and also Lewis can make more money if he fights Roy Jones next. And that´s all Lewis is about: money.
Old 06-21-2003, 10:46 PM   #11
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks pretty nasty, but that eye is open. I've seen a lot worse let go.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 11:32 PM   #12
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

Mandyahl will become famous soon enoughMandyahl will become famous soon enough

ok, thats gross.
Old 06-21-2003, 11:50 PM   #13
Fidel
Diamond Member

Quote:
Looks pretty nasty, but that eye is open. I've seen a lot worse let go.
Exactly Doc. It looks nasty but hey that´s boxing. It´s a world heavywight bout so you have to let it go. Especially when the fighter you take out leads the fight 58-56. And the cut was pretty high above the eye too so the eye itself wasn´t in that great danger.

Ahh it just pisses me off. I´ve been looking forward to this fight for quite a long time. I allways thought Klitschko could beat Lewis and I said so a couple of times here on this board. I think he had a real good chance today if not for this bullshit ending. If the cut gets worse you have to stop it, but as it stands after round 6 there is no way you should have stopped that fight.

I´m angry. I want to puch someone [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img].
Old 06-22-2003, 05:03 AM   #14
Novice#41
Golden Member

Novice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to behold

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Novice#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 12:19 PM   #15
signoftimes

signoftimes is on a distinguished road

Too bad Klitschko didn't win, I'd love to see a 55 year old Foreman out there again

By George, Foreman may return
June 22 2003
By Randy Harvey
Los Angeles

Photo: GETTY IMAGES
Heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis, weighing in at a hefty 116kilograms, defends his title against Vitali Klitschko.

If Vitali Klitschko wins the heavyweight championship from Lennox Lewis at Staples Centre, George Foreman says he is returning to the ring. Or at least that is what he told the New York Post this week.

When I spoke to Foreman the day the story appeared, he seemed less sure of his plans. "Don't let my wife know we're even talking about this," he said. "She'd kill me."

Larry Merchant, Foreman's broadcasting colleague, speculates that the two-time heavyweight champion is more interested in publicity so he can sell more of his fat-reducing grills than he is in winning the title for a third time. But the fact that some are taking seriously a man who is 54 says all you need to know about the state of heavyweight boxing.

Foreman said he would not fight Lewis or Mike Tyson. You can, presumably, add Mrs Foreman to that list. Otherwise, he is ready to take on all legitimate contenders. He will not find many, certainly no more than the five men he fought in one night in 1975.

Lewis has done all he can on behalf of the underachieving heavyweight division. He had been scheduled to meet the unheralded Kirk Johnson this weekend in a non-title fight. When Johnson withdrew two weeks ago because of an injury, Lewis could have cancelled. Instead, he agreed to meet Klitschko in a title fight. Although he might be only marginally more accomplished than Johnson, Klitschko is considered a legitimate contender by the World Boxing Council.

advertisement

advertisement

TALE OF THE TAPE

LENNOX LEWIS
Record: 40-2-1, 31 KOs.
Trainer: Emanuel Steward.
Weight: 116.3kg.
Height: 196cm.
Reach: 213cm.
Chest normal: 112cm.
Chest (expanded): 117cm.
Biceps: 43cm.
Forearms: 38cm.
Waist: 86cm.
Thigh: 66cm.
Calf: 46cm.
Neck: 47cm.
Wrist: 20cm.
Fist: 31cm.

VITALI KLITSCHKO
Record: 32-1, 31 KOs.
Trainer: Fritz Sdunek.
Weight: 113kg.
Height: 201cm.
Reach: 198cm.
Chest normal: 118cm.
Chest (expanded): 122cm.
Forearms: 43cm.
Waist: 90cm.
Thigh: 59cm.
Calf:43cm.
Neck: 46cm.
Wrist: 19cm.
Fist: 28cm.

Lewis then added suspense by weighing in at 116 kilograms, the heaviest he has been for a fight in his 15-year professional career. That makes him a prime candidate for becoming 1) Foreman's next grill customer and 2) an upset victim.

This will not be the first time Lewis has gone into the ring with more paunch than punch. After both of his losses, to Oliver McCall in 1994 and Hasim Rahman in 2001, he acknowledged that he had trained less than religiously. He spent more time sparring with Klitschko's kid brother, Vladimir, for the filming of Ocean's Eleven than he did for the fight against Rahman.

Klitschko is not even considered the best of the Klitschko brothers. Vladimir, who, like Lewis, has an Olympic gold medal, was also expected to follow his path to the heavyweight title. But he was knocked out in the second round in March by a South African journeyman, Corrie Sanders.

Vitali charged into the ring afterwards and confronted Sanders, vowing to avenge his brother's defeat. That did not show much class, which was good for his reputation as a fighter. But his heart has been questioned since he refused to answer the 10th round bell in his only loss, to Chris Byrd in 2000.

Still, he does not impress promoter Dino Duva, who said the broadcaster HBO had been trying for a long time to build up the Klitschko name. Duva said he believed his fighter, Johnson, would have proved a worthier opponent. "They've manufactured these guys. They need to create appeal for Lennox Lewis's opponents. They're trying to do that for this fight, even though it's not even the right Klitschko."

Here's a name HBO would not have to manufacture: Roy Jones jnr.

Another sign of the decline of the heavyweight division is that the most talked about Lewis fight this week was not the one against Klitschko, but the one that could occur in the next year or so against Jones. Jones is a light-heavyweight. Lewis, based on the most recent visit to the scales, is a very heavyweight. Lewis probably would enter the ring about 27 kilograms heavier than Jones. He also would have a 16 centimetre height advantage over the 180 centimetre Jones and a 45-centimetre reach advantage.

Yet, Jones has been emboldened by his victory over World Boxing Association heavyweight champion John Ruiz and is searching for bigger, more lucrative game.

Lewis's trainer, Emanuel Steward, said he would be concerned about a fight against Jones because of his speed and athleticism, more so than he is against the lumbering, 201-centimetre, 113-kilogram Klitschko.

"Roy could win against Lennox in a 12-round decision," Foreman agreed.

Foreman said he was not concerned about the future of the heavyweight division because someone always came along. I asked him if he expected anyone to come along soon.

"I don't see anyone yet," he said.

Later, I asked Merchant the same question.

"Sure," he said. "I've seen a hundred good, young heavyweights out there. They're all playing linebacker."

- Los Angeles Times

signoftimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 02:08 AM   #16
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

The rematch would be a pay-per-view. I think the whole boxing is fixed.
Old 06-29-2003, 04:23 PM   #17
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: mavsfanforever
The rematch would be a pay-per-view. I think the whole boxing is fixed.
yep
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 09:35 PM   #18
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

Mandyahl will become famous soon enoughMandyahl will become famous soon enough

boxing fixed? what is the world coming to?