Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 11-25-2004, 04:25 PM   #1
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future
Default Turkey Day Football Brawl. Cowboys VS Chicaco

Woot Go Henson. Started him on my fantasy team this week. Lets hope it isn't bad luck.
Old 11-25-2004, 06:05 PM   #2
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future
Default RE: Turkey Day Football Brawl. Cowboys VS Chicaco

..woot. Go Cowboys. 7-7. If this keeps up we'll beat them in over time. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-25-2004, 06:45 PM   #3
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all
Default RE:Turkey Day Football Brawl. Cowboys VS Chicaco

Parcells replaced Henson with Testaverde and now the fans are booing Parcells and the Cowboys like crazy. They are actually cheering for the Bears. Testaverde has already thrown an interception and just missed badly on some more passes. Parcells is either deluded about this team or just plain stupid. I have never, ever seen a crowd turn on the Cows in this manner. Parcells won't be back next year. He needs to be fired today, but that will never happen. Above all else, Cowboys fans have always been loyal to the team. This is a disgrace.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 07:13 PM   #4
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

There was absolutely no reason to go back to Vinny in this game. Parcells' coaching this year has been disgusting.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 07:22 PM   #5
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

Upside of this game is that Julius looks awesome. 150 yds, 2 TDs so far.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 07:41 PM   #6
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

I hate to knee-jerk here, but I am going to give my opinion anyway. Has anyone thought that just maybe Henson sucks? Surely Parcells is a good judge of character and talent. Maybe the reason we haven't seen him is the same reason Henson did so bad in the 1st half. The only reason Parcells played Henson today is because of his stellar performance on Sunday. I forsee FA QB or a drafted QB for next year.
Old 11-25-2004, 07:43 PM   #7
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: SaltwaterChaffy
Upside of this game is that Julius looks awesome. 150 yds, 2 TDs so far.
word.

Parcells better give him 30 carries a game down the stretch.

Old 11-25-2004, 07:44 PM   #8
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

lol. they would have had better field position if Nguyen HADN'T of intercepted that pass.
Old 11-25-2004, 07:44 PM   #9
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

I don't know if Henson sucks or not but I sure as hell am not as high on him as everyone else is. There's a reason why Parcells doesn't want to play him and earlier I assumed it was because Parcells wants to win now and he knew that developing Henson would take more time than he would like to give. I don't know if Henson sucks or not but I sure as hell thought i'd find out this season but by the looks of things I guess not.

BTW, I thought the booing of Testaverde was classless by Dallas fans. You don't get Henson back into the game by booing. All you do is hurt your chances of winning by doing so. I'm not Vinny's biggest fan this season but I was definately on board to see him shut the crowd up.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 08:07 PM   #10
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, there's a reason why Parcells doesn't want to go with Henson. Parcells is not ready to admit that the season is all but over. If he goes with Henson, it's admitting that HE screwed up repeatedly this offseason with poor decisions. Parcells is not ready to admit that he screwed up. He's too prideful.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 08:18 PM   #11
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

Its been a while since an RB for cowboys had 2 tds along with 150 yards.
Old 11-25-2004, 09:20 PM   #12
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
Yes, there's a reason why Parcells doesn't want to go with Henson. Parcells is not ready to admit that the season is all but over. If he goes with Henson, it's admitting that HE screwed up repeatedly this offseason with poor decisions. Parcells is not ready to admit that he screwed up. He's too prideful.

If he goes with Henson how will that be dmitting he screwed up this offseason? Henson had no business being out there at the beginning of the season. With the Cowboys coming off a 10-6 season and with Parcells track record he had reason to believe this team would be better than last years team with the upgrades he made.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 09:23 PM   #13
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

a big middle finger to parcells.

what a bloody idiot. why in the hell do you bother to play testaverde now? the season is over.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 10:43 PM   #14
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

IMO I don't think he thinks Henson sucks, or he would never have got ahead of ROMO.(who I wouldn't have minded geting a crack at this before Henson) I think it was evident that the Bears figured out that Drew isn't ready and were crowding the line, blitzing, and just confusing him. And although I didn't want to see Vinny, Drew in the second half could have meant a blow out,(or at least offensively), Jones getting stomped by 8/9 nine man fronts, and more importantly a terrible performance by Drew. Maybe Bill felt it do more harm than good to keep him out there.

It's not a clear cut argument for either side, but all I know is that I was happy as hell to see Julius get that much play 2 weeks in a row. At least he looks to be an answer.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:54 PM   #15
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Henson needs the experience. In my opinion, and in the opinion of every football analyst or coach that has spoken on this, it can only do more harm than good to put a guy like Henson in and then pull him at the half. If you're going to go with the guy, you have to take the lows with the highs. At first, there will be more lows than highs. Yes, he might even cost them a game or two down the stretch run of the season. So be it. Right now, losses don't really matter a whole hell of alot.

Parcells, your pride is in your way.

Troy Aikman was dead on with his assessments on Big Bill.
Old 11-25-2004, 11:54 PM   #16
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all

I really don't like rookies playing their first year on bad teams; however, there was no reason to bench him at the half. If not for the gratuitious turnovers from Chicago this probably would've been another loss even with Vinny playing. I don't think winning this game helps the Cows one iota. They need impact players in the draft and every win they get probably means getting a worse player. If any of you watched the news, Jerry Jones didn't sound very happy about Henson getting benched. Maybe they could have called some plays that weren't as risky as the interception that Drew threw. I am not sure that Henson got every opportunity to be successful today. I am certain that Bill didn't want to play Henson and that affected how he called the game. At this point why play a 41 year old QB. They could have played Romo. He isn't a rookie and his career isn't in jeopardy by playing. Hell, he needs to try to get employment for next year doesn't he?
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 12:28 AM   #17
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I can understand why Bill did what he did. Quite frankly losing sucks. I’m sure he didn’t want to pull Henson, but he’s on a three game losing streak and that game was just sitting out there saying “win me”…I guess he just couldn’t ignore that. It reminded me of Quincy’s 1st game against Tampa in that you had a very winnable game, but the quarterback just looked out of his league.

It’s a little easier for fans and talk radio hosts to say losing doesn’t matter because we have options. We follow college and pro basketball, and college football among other things. Worse comes to worse, we can just do something else on Sundays. This is Bill’s life. Two weeks after the season he’s back in the office looking at film, preparing for the draft and the next season. You have mini camps, the whip of training camp and almost two months worth of pre-season games. All that and you only get 16 opportunities to make it all pay off. I can see why a coach, even one with job security, would find it hard to pass up an opportunity to get an easy win.

That being said, I hope that ten days will be enough to prepare Drew for what he would face in Seattle. As a fan I would rather see Henson out there than Vinny, but if he’s going to put up a QB rating of 8, I don’t know that it’s helping Drew or the team.

As far as screwing up our draft position, that’s the least of my worries. When it’s our turn to draft in April, there will be future pro-bowlers on the board…plenty of them. It’s up to our scouts, Bill and Jerry to identify them. Top five picks are more fun to discuss, but they’re also a bigger risk because of the signing bonuses that they command.
Old 11-26-2004, 01:41 AM   #18
Murphy3
Guru

The media and fans should crucify Bill for his decision. And now.... obviously, I don't literally mean crucify
Old 11-26-2004, 03:16 AM   #19
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree...he owes it to those guys in the locker room who haven't given up on the season to put them in a position to get a win. Your struggling defense is out there playing their asses off. Granted, the Bears have a bad offense, but still, you've got to throw them a bone.

Drew will get another chance and hopefully at that point he'll be better prepared to face what defenses are going to throw at him.
Old 11-26-2004, 10:14 AM   #20
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

One reason I'm not really disappointed about Henson coming out, is that the offense clearly looked dumbed down. I think they ran a total of 3 different pass plays(sarcasm[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]), and they were all short predictable routes( except the deep prayer to Morgan). It looked a lot like Quincy in the last Campo year. So hopefully in this long break before Monday Drew can watch a lot of film, and prepare mentally, and learn a lot more of the offense. And hopefully Bill just lets him let it fly. If he does bad, he does bad, but I really would like to see him get the start, and finish this time.
Old 11-26-2004, 12:18 PM   #21
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I find it difficult to understand how anyone could have watched the first half and say that leaving Henson in the game was a good idea. My goodness, it doesn't get much worse than that.

The kid will get his chance in due time. To sacrifice a game for it, at this stage of the season, would have been irresponsible.

To call this season "over" is premature. Parcells has a history of closing seasons stronger than he starts them, and of course, this is a year where 8-8 might back into the playoffs.

All this is not to mention that there are a lot of young guys on this team who are just learning how to play in this league. I'd rather they learn to win than to lose.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 04:25 PM   #22
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
All this is not to mention that there are a lot of young guys on this team who are just learning how to play in this league. I'd rather they learn to win than to lose.
Exactly! Quitting is easy. So people want Bill to quit on the team now, but in future years, when things get tough, he's supposed to expect his team not to quit?