Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 08-09-2004, 02:39 PM   #1
NYCdog

NYCdog will become famous soon enoughNYCdog will become famous soon enough
Default Dikembe Mutombo to the Rockets???

According to local radio reports in Chicago, this deal will be finalized in the coming days. This is the only hardcore evidence I have gathered thus far.

No word from the Houston side of things yet.........

Quote:
Crawford and Jerome Williams go to the Knicks for Dikembe Mutombo, Othella Harrington, former University of Illinois standout Frank Williams and Cezary Trybanski. Mutombo and Trybanski won't be around long.

The Bulls already have talked to Houston about a deal involving Eric Piatkowski, league sources said.
Tribune article......
Old 08-09-2004, 03:36 PM   #2
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of
Default RE: CHICAGO TRIBUNE: Dikembe Mutombo to the Rockets???

so?
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 03:46 PM   #3
NYCdog

NYCdog will become famous soon enoughNYCdog will become famous soon enough
Default RE:CHICAGO TRIBUNE: Dikembe Mutombo to the Rockets???

Its NBA news I thought I would pass along........

This is the place for it, right?

Old 08-09-2004, 03:48 PM   #4
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

houston is putting together a great team.

they have had an A+ off season.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 04:12 PM   #5
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

aex - I agree with that, especially after seeing them land Sura today. Mutombo would be a perfect backup to Yao, especially in that system.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:17 PM   #6
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Great deal for the Rockets... Yao and Kato were the only quality big men they had after they dealt Mo Taylor. Mutombo can back Yao up and Kato can start at the PF spot. What a great front court.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 04:31 PM   #7
fin4life

fin4life is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: TripleDipping
Great deal for the Rockets... Yao and Kato were the only quality big men they had after they dealt Mo Taylor. Mutombo can back Yao up and Kato can start at the PF spot. What a great front court.
They dont have cato anymore... they have juwon howard now at 4.
Also... i think they still have Mo taylor
fin4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 08:51 AM   #8
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: fin4life
Quote:
Originally posted by: TripleDipping
They dont have cato anymore... they have juwon howard now at 4.
Also... i think they still have Mo taylor
Sorry about the brain fart... I did mean to say Taylor instead of Kato. Thanks for pointing that out, f4l.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 04:49 PM   #9
Finley4ever

Finley4ever is on a distinguished road

I don't think Dikembe has much left, so I wouldn't say this is a great move by Houston, but if they only lose Piatkowski and others that don't play, I can't see it as hurting them.
Finley4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 08:35 PM   #10
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Mutombo and Ewing to work with Yao? I think it's a very good move.

If Yao doesn't get tougher working with the two of them,k he can't be made tougher.

Mutombo is good for about 8-12 minutes a night, and is a great vet to have on the end of the bench.

I didn't think I'd be saying this, but Mavs fans may have to prepare to watch JVG coach Nellie's socks off.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 10:49 PM   #11
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

It's hard to sit back without screaming and watch the competition get things done. I love the Sura signing.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:41 AM   #12
fin4life

fin4life is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanFinley
It's hard to sit back without screaming and watch the competition get things done. I love the Sura signing.
Im not too worried, but if nothing happens before Aug.26-27... then i will start worrying. Right now i jsut have confidence that the mavs have a deal already worked out with either stack of L8 involved.
fin4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 08:51 AM   #13
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: fin4life
Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanFinley
Im not too worried, but if nothing happens before Aug.26-27... then i will start worrying. Right now i jsut have confidence that the mavs have a deal already worked out with either stack of L8 involved.
The question is who? I think so as well.

Does the Peja announcement have any bearing on it? Did they know this already, or will it change their plans?
Does Damp have something to do with it?
Is this the stuff that VC says "In Due Time"?

Has the Kidd stuff changed their plans at all?

It will be fun to see the outcome. It will probably be something that none of us have considered.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 08:58 AM   #14
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

just random speculation, but i wouldnt be surprised to see some combination of finley and trash go to seattle for ray allen and rashard lewis
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 09:11 AM   #15
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: aexchange
just random speculation, but i wouldnt be surprised to see some combination of finley and trash go to seattle for ray allen and rashard lewis
That would be a nice thought. Rashard would finally solidify the SF. Allen would solidify the 2.

Fin/HowardSeattle trades: SF Rashard Lewis (17.8 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 2.2 apg in 36.6 minutes)
SG Ray Allen (23.0 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 4.8 apg in 38.4 minutes)
Seattle receives: PF Christian Laettner or Jerry Stackhouse (5.9 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 1.9 apg in 20.5 minutes)
SG Michael Finley (18.6 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 2.9 apg in 38.6 minutes)
SF Josh Howard (8.6 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 1.5 apg in 23.7 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -7.7 ppg, +3.2 rpg, and -0.7 apg.

Dallas trades: PF Christian Laettner or Jerry Stackhouse (5.9 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 1.9 apg in 20.5 minutes)
SG Michael Finley (18.6 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 2.9 apg in 38.6 minutes)
SF Josh Howard (8.6 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 1.5 apg in 23.7 minutes)
Dallas receives: SF Rashard Lewis (17.8 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 2.2 apg in 80 games)
SG Ray Allen (23.0 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 4.8 apg in 56 games)
Change in team outlook: +7.7 ppg, -3.2 rpg, and +0.7 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Seriously doubt it though. Allen is in the last year of his contract, and I don't think they would take on Finley's 3 more, even if you threw in the #1.

Good thoughts, and maybe they work something out. I just doubt it because if they were working on something with them, I would have expected them to do it all at once with the Fortson -- Booth stuff as well.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 11:34 AM   #16
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm not worried either. Just frustrated at times. Most teams go out and get what they need. It might not be the best player or a flashy name even. In Mavs land we keep hearing that you have to do a bunch of little trades to get the big picture.

I figure the Mavs have something already in place around the 24th, but get this little nerve twitch thinking they're just making some trades in hoping something pans out later.
Old 08-10-2004, 11:39 AM   #17
MavsFanFinley
Guru

Quote:
Why would Seattle do this? An aging sg who is now crippled (according to many) for all-star Allen? And then just to show them our grattitude we throw them some of our trash and we'll take Lewis off there hands?

What about all those promises to Daniels about the starting 2 job?