Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 02-16-2010, 05:06 PM   #1
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute
Default David Lee

If the Mavs aren't able to pull off a S&T for LeBron, Wade, Bosh, Johnson...what do folks think should be our Plan B?

I've become a huge fan of Lee watching him play this year in person. The guy has a good post game, can stretch the floor a bit, hustles his ass off, and is pretty young. The Knicks are almost certainly not going to re-sign him, as they dream of landing two of the huge names.

Lee's not the greatest defender, for sure--but I love the idea of a 3-man frontcourt rotation of Dirk, Haywood & Lee. Any two of the three can play together--Lee plays C for the Knicks, but could also play PF alongside Haywood and we'd still have a legit scorer on the court. Dirk & Lee together wouldn't be the greatest defensive combo of all time, but man they'd be able to light up the scoreboard.

The Knicks could be quite motivated to do a S&T with Lee for the DUST chip, if we were to take something back from them. Damp + Carroll for Lee + Curry would work well for both teams--NY gains $7MM in cap room for 2010, the Mavs get Lee at a starting salary up to $10.5MM, and Curry's $11.2MM salary is actually LESS than the $11.7MM remaining on Carroll's deal. Plus, the Mavs gain a trade chip with Curry as an expiring for 2011.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2010, 05:11 PM   #2
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds like a brilliant plan to me.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:17 PM   #3
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

So if that were to happen it must mean the Mavs are very happy with Butler...I could dig that.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:37 PM   #4
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

Only downside is, it pushes our payroll next year to well over $100MM, assuming we keep Haywood around for about $8MM and sign Lee for about $10MM. Then again, bringing in Sammy Superstar without shipping out any significant contracts does the same.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:45 PM   #5
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all

Huge fan of David Lee. Kind of a tweener but a great offensive player and a great rebounder.

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:51 PM   #6
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

I like Lee a lot but I think a combo of Haywood and Dirk is better. I think I would rather go after a guy like a RIP Hamilton than Lee as a plan b
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:56 PM   #7
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Not interested. We're not spending that kind of money on a player that plays the same position as Dirk. David Lee's floor time numbers since he started playing center for the Knicks are horrendous. The Knick have been a better team when he's not on the court.

That's not really his fault. It's Dan Tony's fault for playing him at center. Play Lee at PF and he's fine, although I think he's over rated because he's so awful defensively.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 02-16-2010 at 06:56 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:13 PM   #8
bobatundi
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Not interested. We're not spending that kind of money on a player that plays the same position as Dirk. David Lee's floor time numbers since he started playing center for the Knicks are horrendous. The Knick have been a better team when he's not on the court.

That's not really his fault. It's Dan Tony's fault for playing him at center. Play Lee at PF and he's fine, although I think he's over rated because he's so awful defensively.
The Knicks' net points per 100 possessions this season is -1.9 when Lee is on the court, -3.5 when he's off the court. So no, the Knicks have not been a better team when he's not on the court, and he's been their starting center all year.

He's 26 and has gotten better every year; as a big man, he'll probably continue to improve for another 4 years.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:14 PM   #9
bobatundi
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
I like Lee a lot but I think a combo of Haywood and Dirk is better. I think I would rather go after a guy like a RIP Hamilton than Lee as a plan b
Rip is an aging 2; Lee is a young, improving 4/5. We don't need to add age to this team.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:25 PM   #10
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

I prefer to keep Haywood.

Lee isnt a real 5, his stats are blown up by the system.

But probably i wouldnt mind a Dirk/Lee/haywood FC rotation if the price is right.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:39 PM   #11
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobatundi View Post
The Knicks' net points per 100 possessions this season is -1.9 when Lee is on the court, -3.5 when he's off the court. So no, the Knicks have not been a better team when he's not on the court, and he's been their starting center all year.

He's 26 and has gotten better every year; as a big man, he'll probably continue to improve for another 4 years.
Well you're partially right. The stats for this season have shifted since the last time I looked, but he's still only +.05 total for the year. And he was minus last year.

I'm not saying that's the be all end all, either, it was just an example.

I think he's over rated, and regardless of what you think of him, he doesn't play defense and he plays the same position as Dirk. Doesn't really make sense.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 02-16-2010, 11:50 PM   #12
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Shouldn't the Knicks try to keep Lee if they plan on doing anything in free agency? How do you tell a free agent to come to your team when you only have Gallerini and Wilson Chandler under contract? Atleast you can say you have all star in Lee. It makes the Knicks look a little better.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:53 PM   #13
bobatundi
Golden Member

Quote:
Well you're partially right. The stats for this season have shifted since the last time I looked, but he's still only +.05 total for the year. And he was minus last year.

I'm not saying that's the be all end all, either, it was just an example.

I think he's over rated, and regardless of what you think of him, he doesn't play defense and he plays the same position as Dirk. Doesn't really make sense.
Not sure how that's only "partially right." The Knicks are better with Lee on the court this year, I demonstrated that. Lee is 26. His numbers have improved every season. There's really nothing "partially right" about any of that. My statement that he'll probably continue to improve is based on general basketball wisdom (dare I say, Basketball 501?) that big men improve as they approach 30, and even there, I qualified it with a "probably," so you really can't say it's not right.

I have never said Lee is the greatest of all time, and you're welcome to disagree with him being a fit for this team. But to call my statement "partially right" implies that it is "partially wrong," and you haven't demonstrated anything "wrong" with what I said.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:56 PM   #14
bobatundi
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
I prefer to keep Haywood.

Lee isnt a real 5, his stats are blown up by the system.

But probably i wouldnt mind a Dirk/Lee/haywood FC rotation if the price is right.
If you read my original post, that three-man rotation is exactly what I'm suggesting.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:56 PM   #15
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Not sure how that's only "partially right." The Knicks are better with Lee on the court this year, I demonstrated that. Lee is 26. His numbers have improved every season. There's really nothing "partially right" about any of that. My statement that he'll probably continue to improve is based on general basketball wisdom (dare I say, Basketball 501?) that big men improve as they approach 30, and even there, I qualified it with a "probably," so you really can't say it's not right.

I have never said Lee is the greatest of all time, and you're welcome to disagree with him being a fit for this team. But to call my statement "partially right" implies that it is "partially wrong," and you haven't demonstrated anything "wrong" with what I said.
You listed they were better offensively. Defensively they are apparently worse, as his net +/- according to 82games is only +.05. That was all I meant with the "partially right" statement.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 02-16-2010, 11:58 PM   #16
bobatundi
Golden Member

Quote:
You listed they were better offensively. Defensively they are apparently worse, as his net +/- according to 82games is only +.05. That was all I meant with the "partially right" statement.
Actually, I said net points, so it includes offense and defense.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:08 AM   #17
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Actually, I said net points, so it includes offense and defense.
My bad, I was looking at the wrong thing. Ok you were completely right on that point.

He was a negative when I last looked this year, and he was a negative last year.

Bottom line on my opinion is that he belongs on a team where he will play nothing but PF.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 02-17-2010 at 12:08 AM.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:03 AM   #18
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Rip is an aging 2; Lee is a young, improving 4/5. We don't need to add age to this team.
Lee is a 4
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:12 AM   #19
Zki41

Zki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to all

We don't need any power forwards, and we don't need undersized centers. I don't know about you, but I've been sick of having one true center, and then someone like Brandon Bass as the back up. If we go after a center, it better be a real center with shot blocking and post up abilities, not an undersized PF with hustle. Haywood/Damp or a replacement for Damp after we use the dust chip, is what we need. Our front-court will be pretty solidified.

I still think we need to go for a SG/SF
Zki41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:36 AM   #20
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

It's a decent proposal, Lee would definitely be a nice pick up, but I don't see any way Cuban ever takes on Curry's contract. That's a lot of money to be paying one guy who does absolutely nothing but rides the pine. Correct me if I'm wrong but his contract isn't even insured right?

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote