Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 07-03-2002, 08:48 AM   #1
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

MLB record 62 homeruns hit yesterday.

Link

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2002, 08:51 AM   #2
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

The HomeRuns.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 11:11 AM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I heard this on the radio this morning. I couldn't believe it. 62 dingers in one day? Where is the pitching?
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 01:39 PM   #4
FishForLunch
Platinum Member

FishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of light

Let me put it this way the ball ain't juiced but the players sure are
FishForLunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 01:57 PM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

i think it's unfortunate to clump all of the great sluggers together and say they are juiced. very unfortunate.

one thing that must be realized is that we're coming across a group of athletes that have been working out/lifting weights extremely hard for several years..many of them since they were 12-13 years old.

as recently as 15-20 years ago, many baseball players did not pump iron. it was thought that it would decrease flexibility and limit the players' ability to field/throw/swing.

Players lifting weights is the most SIGNIFICANT reason why there's more homeruns hit now than at any other time in the history of the game.

sure, some of the players are juiced...but it is very unfortunate that so many of them are getting lumped into a "steroid using category"

Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 02:15 PM   #6
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

I heard on Sportscenter that pitchers hit a combined .350 (or thereabouts) yesterday. And DH's hit a combined .165.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 03:12 PM   #7
Drbio
Banned

Remember the first year of interleague play when the Rangers pitchers hit for better average than the Rangers regulars? And the regulars were good that year. Odd statistic.
Old 07-03-2002, 07:19 PM   #8
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

You believe that if you want Murphy. I know they are full of steroids. NOT all- but a hell of a lot more of them then the publics knows about or wants to believe.

LOL- this is a good one. I heard on a sports talk radio show this morning that Barry Bonds cap size it 2 sizes bigger than it was just two years ago!! AND he has a shaved head...HMMMM...wonder how that happened....
Old 07-03-2002, 08:22 PM   #9
Drbio
Banned

I wonder too since it is physiologically impossible.
Old 07-03-2002, 09:03 PM   #10
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

actually its not impossible. There are growth hormones out there that make your head and jawbone grow. Many top steroid bodybuilders have to get their jaw shaved down, its sick...If Barry had any balls, he would step up and say he is NOT on the juice- but he cant- because he is...I hope they start testing soon! The union is saying testing for steroids in an invasion of privacy. What a fucking joke- That excuse is lame as hell and the public better wake up and agree...
Old 07-03-2002, 09:35 PM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

i'm not saying that some aren't on steroids.... of course some are.
however, the majority of the growth in power is from players working out like freaks. this is much different than the traditional baseball mindset.
for years and years, players did not lift weights much at all because it was believed it would decrease a players flexibility and affect his hitting and throwing.

sure, steriods plays a role.. however, players are now bigger and stronger because of what they do in the off season as well
Old 07-03-2002, 10:10 PM   #12
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

<< I wonder too since it is physiologically impossible. >>

Hey Doc, remember the growth hormone - causes acromegaly? I don't have my books, so I haven't double checked this...
Old 07-04-2002, 10:32 AM   #13
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Murph, and you see guys on the DL more now than you did in the past, mainly because of specialization and weight training.

I do find it funny that major leaguers say &quot;I'm not on steroids!&quot; then they don't want to take the test. Well if you aren't on steroids, prove it buddy. Take the test. If you are positive you haven't taken steroids then you have nothing to worry about.

Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 12:16 PM   #14
Drbio
Banned

Wow. You dug out a very rare exception. Point to smiles.
Old 07-04-2002, 06:40 PM   #15
Murphy3
Guru

i'm sure most of them would have no problem with taking the test..
Old 07-04-2002, 07:07 PM   #16
reeds
Golden Member

If they took the test now- 50% would fail!!! The problem is, by the time the owners and the union fight to have testing, the players will all be off the stuff and it will be impossible to say how many were on it. I will say one thing though- if baseball does outlaw the juice for next year- you watch the HR numbers DROP. That will be my proof.

JUST look at the numbers...About ten years ago, there were only a few people to ever hit 50 home runs in a year- now, it is almost common. I did hear the exact numbers, but I dont have them handy. You can say its just lifting weights- but, no way in hell. You can blame it on the small parks, juiced balls, weak pitching, whatever. All have some part in the whole picture, but not making steroids illegal- that is crazy. I remember TONY MANDARICH- he was the most dominating college linemen EVER. He went to the packers (my team)lol, and he was NOTHING. He couldnt even crack the starting lineup. HE went OFF the juice- he was a shadow of the person he was at MICHIGAN ST. when he was on Roids. I will laugh my ass off when SOSA and BONDS have 40 homers a year instead of freaking 60 or 73...
In fact- BONDS record- and BIG MACS for that matter- should be taken away. WHY NOT?? THEY took away Ben Johnsons GOLD MEDAL. WHATS the difference. OK- i gotta stop- im going to stroke out over this...
Old 07-04-2002, 07:47 PM   #17
Drbio
Banned

I agree reeds that many would fail the test. And I think if tests are mandated that you will be correct in your assessment that homers will drop.
Old 07-04-2002, 09:51 PM   #18
Murphy3
Guru

i very seriously doubt 50% would fail..., sure, homers for some would drop
Old 07-04-2002, 10:13 PM   #19
Drbio
Banned

let me clarify....I think homers would SLIGHTLY drop. I don't think there would be a mass decrease in numbers. Not taking the steroid would effect some players psychologically. They may not hit well again, even if the steroid use had no effect on their game. Sports Psychology 101.
Old 07-04-2002, 10:31 PM   #20
Murphy3
Guru

sure...that makes sense... however, homers won't dramatically drop until MLB makes changes with the pitchers' mound..until pitchers decide to go inside more..until larger stadiums are built.

the real problem is this:
Players have gotten so much bigger and stronger while the new ballparks are the same size of many of the parks from the 20's through the early 60's
Old 07-04-2002, 10:38 PM   #21
Drbio
Banned

Raise the mound and two things will happen. Games will be lower scoring and games will be faster. The MLB execs may say they want faster games, but they don't. Studies show that more money is spent in longer games. And they damn sure don't want the pitchers to pass the hitters. 2-0 games don't sell like 10-8 games do. I would rather watch 2 pitchers duel out a 2-1 gem than see the Rangers normal 12-11 win/loss in 3 hours.
Old 07-05-2002, 07:36 AM   #22
Murphy3
Guru

well doc..one thing you're probably wrong on one thing... i don't know of many 12-11 games only lasting three hours
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

i don't think hitters would suffer as badly as one might think.. it would reduce scoring some and reduce home runs..this would help to allow pitchers to, more or less, even out the game a bit
Old 07-05-2002, 08:46 AM   #23
Drbio
Banned

do I hear four? Four hours? Maybe five?

LOL...
Old 07-05-2002, 02:51 PM   #24
reeds
Golden Member

&quot;slightly drop&quot;? That really depends on your definition of slight. If SOSA goes from 60 homers to 50, is that slightly for him? That is over 15%. I will bet the home run totals drop at least that.

Old 07-05-2002, 02:52 PM   #25
Drbio
Banned

I don't think they fall 15% across the board though.