Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-28-2022, 10:44 PM   #1
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
I don't think it's any of those things. I think it's just the simple fact that there are three cities in all of America that NBA players actually want to go do, and Dallas isn't one of them. New York, LA, and Miami. I suppose you could add San Francisco/bay area to that list now because the Warriors are the glamor team of the current era. But that's it. No owner, GM, coach, or star player will ever change that.

I dunno, I'll admit that I didn't watch that much of the Lakers last year, but I've watched most of his career, and the guy just doesn't get it. I'd rather take my chances with Dragic and whatever else we can find on the scrap heap.
Who's fighting to go to New York? When's the last time they snagged a big time free agent? Amare Stoudmire? Or are we going to call Julius Randle that? I don't buy the city thing because nobody can convince me that a player wouldn't want to play in Dallas with Cuban as a owner and the lack of state tax.

Westbrook is a flawed player. No doubt. Hell he would be far from the type guy I'd want because he's at his best with the ball in his hands and I'm not taking the ball out of Luka's hands for him. BUT, the guy can still rebound and defense. Solid passer as well. If he could buy in to being a role player and coming off the bench as a 6th man I'd be all for him coming here. I don't think that's the case sadly. But if they were to up and trade for him I wouldn't be against it for the right deal.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 10:59 PM   #2
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
Who's fighting to go to New York? When's the last time they snagged a big time free agent? Amare Stoudmire? Or are we going to call Julius Randle that?
I mean, we're having this conversation because our 2nd best player is going to New York. And it's only because of Dolan's perpetual incompetence that the Knicks aren't immensely more successful. They damn near landed all three of Lebron, Wade, and Bosh in 2010, but supposedly Dolan blew the meeting. Trust me, if Dolan ever sold the team, they would immediately become THE favored destination for free agents, just like the Clippers did the moment Sterling was forced to sell.

And remember, New York has two teams. The Nets in their short time since moving to Brooklyn have a pretty successful track record attracting free agents.

Quote:
I don't buy the city thing because nobody can convince me that a player wouldn't want to play in Dallas with Cuban as a owner and the lack of state tax.
Are we sure Cuban isn't more of a deterrent than an attraction at this point?

And you don't buy the city thing? Do you really not notice the Lakers, Clippers, Nets, and Heat getting every free agent, or every disgruntled star forcing a trade there?

I hope you're right and I'm wrong. I desperately do. But I won't believe Dallas is an attractive free agent destination until I see us make even ONE noteworthy signing. We have been passed over again and again and again, and I don't think it'd because Dirk wasn't one of the "in" players.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 06-28-2022 at 11:04 PM.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 11:10 PM   #3
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I mean, we're having this conversation because our 2nd best player is going to New York. And it's only because of Dolan's perpetual incompetence that the Knicks aren't immensely more successful. They damn near landed all three of Lebron, Wade, and Bosh in 2010, but supposedly Dolan blew the meeting. Trust me, if Dolan ever sold the team, they would immediately become THE favored destination for free agents, just like the Clippers did the moment Sterling was forced to sell.

And remember, New York has two teams. The Nets in their short time since moving to Brooklyn have a pretty successful track record attracting free agents.

Are we sure Cuban isn't more of a deterrent than an attraction at this point?

And you don't buy the city thing? Do you really not notice the Lakers, Clippers, Nets, and Heat getting every free agent, or every disgruntled star forcing a trade there?

I hope you're right and I'm wrong. I desperately do. But I won't believe Dallas is an attractive free agent destination until I see us make even ONE noteworthy signing. We have been passed over again and again and again, and I don't think it'd because Dirk wasn't one of the "in" players.
And the FO still has a lot of work to do. Like, Nico was gm when they decided THJ was worth 80 million. And we still didn't offer him more than NO. Too bad he didn't take their money. Might be a different situation with Brunson if we didn't have that money on the books. Who knows.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 11:17 PM   #4
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
And the FO still has a lot of work to do. Like, Nico was gm when they decided THJ was worth 80 million. And we still didn't offer him more than NO. Too bad he didn't take their money. Might be a different situation with Brunson if we didn't have that money on the books. Who knows.
In fairness to Nico, I was in favor of that signing for all the exact same reasons I wanted us to overpay to keep Brunson- because THJ had played well and it's better to overpay for a good player and than lose him for nothing.

I'm glad we played so well without him this season. But I don't think anyone could have predicted the turnaround we had after the KP trade.
Old 06-29-2022, 12:02 AM   #5
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

I'm okay with JB leaving for now. The truth is that this would have been an extremely risky contract. Now, if he totally blows up in New York and becomes an All-Star, obviously that's a different scenario, but for now, let's entertain the possibility that we might be dodging a bullet here, because there is a relatively good chance that this is indeed what we are doing.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 12:07 AM   #6
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budapest Maverick View Post
I'm okay with JB leaving for now. The truth is that this would have been an extremely risky contract. Now, if he totally blows up in New York and becomes an All-Star, obviously that's a different scenario, but for now, let's entertain the possibility that we might be dodging a bullet here, because there is a relatively good chance that this is indeed what we are doing.
I'm trying to see the bright side, but I just don't see it. What exactly was the risk? The Mavs are going to be way over the cap for the forseeable future with or without him, so it's not like we can chase free agents. The only real downside to paying him a boatload is that he would have been hard to trade. And honestly, who cares? Just another guy that you're stuck with for a couple of years, who then becomes extremely valuable in the final year of his deal.

Other than him just being harder to trade, what is the risk in overpaying him? I'm honestly thinking Cuban just doesn't want to go deeper into the luxury tax. I'm hoping that's not the case, but that's what it seems like.
Old 06-29-2022, 12:17 AM   #7
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm trying to see the bright side, but I just don't see it. What exactly was the risk? The Mavs are going to be way over the cap for the forseeable future with or without him, so it's not like we can chase free agents. The only real downside to paying him a boatload is that he would have been hard to trade. And honestly, who cares? Just another guy that you're stuck with for a couple of years, who then becomes extremely valuable in the final year of his deal.

Other than him just being harder to trade, what is the risk in overpaying him? I'm honestly thinking Cuban just doesn't want to go deeper into the luxury tax. I'm hoping that's not the case, but that's what it seems like.
Brunson at 27 would def not be hard to trade especially with the cap going up. That would be like top 50/60 in contract money. There?s literally zero risk to signing him to that amount. I think it seriously comes down to Cuban not wanting to pay. This is why I was worried overall with Nico cause Cuban is always going to call shots of this caliber.

Last edited by Melonhead; 06-29-2022 at 12:17 AM.
Melonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 12:44 AM   #8
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Quote:

Aren't we set up for 2024 right now, with every one of our contracts outside of Luka coming off the books or be an expiring contract, with all of our future picks? I would be totally willing to wait for that scenario and roll with this current team until, if that means we can pair Luka up with someone REAL GOOD in 2024. It's very rare to win the chip with one hall of famer, I think we should go all-in for the 2024 free agency and set everything up to be able to do that.

Last edited by Budapest Maverick; 06-29-2022 at 12:45 AM.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 06:42 AM   #9
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budapest Maverick View Post
Well I'm just getting the sense that neither side wanted each other. That seems like the bottom line. I never really saw a Brunson who loved being here or a FO that loved him being here.

Seems like the Jazz series sealed his fate. He played great without Luka. And when Luka came back, he was back to being mid to good some games. But it was nothing like the Jazz series.

But again, the Mavs f'ed it up by not getting assets in return. That's just inexcusable.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote