Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-27-2021, 11:28 PM   #841
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post

PLus the Mavs need to think about potential matchups where they need longer players to compete with Leonard, George, LeBron, Melo, Michael Porter Jr, Gordon & Booker just to name a few.
This is what puzzles me about the trade for Reddick.

On one hand Mavs FO loves their team because of the high power offense potential when completely healthy.
But they trade two defenders that could be needed as insurance or in certain situations like you mention leaving us somewhat vulnerable on the defensive end.

I just didn’t see the need to make that trade. The added offense is a luxury but we have very little chance of advancing in the POs if DFS, JRich or Maxi are out for any reason during the POs considering the players we might face. And we give up a pick on top of it.

Just seems like the risk wasn’t worth the potential reward to me.

Last edited by rimrocker; 03-27-2021 at 11:34 PM.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2021, 01:05 AM   #842
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
This is what puzzles me about the trade for Reddick.

On one hand Mavs FO loves their team because of the high power offense potential when completely healthy.
But they trade two defenders that could be needed as insurance or in certain situations like you mention leaving us somewhat vulnerable on the defensive end.

I just didn’t see the need to make that trade. The added offense is a luxury but we have very little chance of advancing in the POs if DFS, JRich or Maxi are out for any reason during the POs considering the players we might face. And we give up a pick on top of it.

Just seems like the risk wasn’t worth the potential reward to me.
Trust me I completely understand

I would have just took my shot at Redick via buyout and if he decided he still wanted to go with Brooklyn or Boston then so be it.

The only problem I had with JJ and Iwundu was their lack of shooting but they both displayed some solid defense in spurts for the Mavs especially Iwundu.

Redick has to be hidden on defense and I don't like the possibility that he'll come off the bench and share the floor with Brunson & THJ in playoff games.

Those types of lineups are the primary reason why the Mavs can't hold leads when Luka sits down. They become a walking layup drill for the opposing teams or they don't close out on shooters because they lack size and length.

I was crossing my fingers for Porter to be that 3rd wing defender primarily coming off the bench but someone posted he's staying in Orlando so that's not good news.

Redick to me at this stage of his career is probably no better than having J J Barrea just two different type of players on their last legs.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 09:23 AM   #843
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Would the Mavs be fighting the Wolves for the worst record in the West without Luka?

I can't believe the MBT is happy with the players we have
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 10:25 AM   #844
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL View Post
Would the Mavs be fighting the Wolves for the worst record in the West without Luka?

They need to change their way of thinking and start being happy with the player they have and focus on what it will take to retain him for his entire career.

When they say they are happy with their team, I wonder if they actually realize just how special Luka is.

I find it hard to believe we couldn't have come up with a better package for Gordon than what Denver offered. My guess is that they are completely focused on Collins now and will offer him crazy money in the off-season. They almost have no choice at this point.

Last edited by rimrocker; 03-28-2021 at 10:27 AM.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 10:32 AM   #845
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

We're not.

For the last time, Mavs want to be better.

We're just hemmed in with zero assets. It's just been a tough build and we ran out of gas. It happens to almost every NBA team.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 03-28-2021 at 10:32 AM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 11:11 AM   #846
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Dieng to the Spurs...

https://www.si.com/nba/raptors/news/...n-gorgui-dieng
Old 03-28-2021, 11:24 AM   #847
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
They need to change their way of thinking and start being happy with the player they have and focus on what it will take to retain him for his entire career.

When they say they are happy with their team, I wonder if they actually realize just how special Luka is.

I find it hard to believe we couldn't have come up with a better package for Gordon than what Denver offered. My guess is that they are completely focused on Collins now and will offer him crazy money in the off-season. They almost have no choice at this point.
Luka is gone at first opportunity if RC still the coach when the time comes. Mark my words. If you don't think Cuban has an issue spending money in the last 3 years or so, then, imo, RC is main obstacle for us in FA.

This time next year, people will be having the same arguments... style of play, jacking 3's, no rookie development, lack of rebounding, defense, et. al., and Luka will be looking forward to year 5 in the NBA with a stunted team.

The best thing that could happen would be for Denver to win it all, so the Mavs can finally copy a team with bigs and defense. They will still need another coach.

Last edited by turin; 03-28-2021 at 11:33 AM.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 12:13 PM   #848
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Aldridge to the Nets.
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...dge-agent-says
Old 03-28-2021, 12:32 PM   #849
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

There are some quality players on the buy out market.

Enough so that you didn't have to trade for a small 37 year old guard who doesn't help your defense or rebounding the two biggest issues come playoff time.

Then you have guys like Austin Rivers who could have helped alleviate some of the outside shooting need off the bench.

Just poor roster construction especially since you have athletic rookie wings who you refuse to develop and play.

The owner thinks the team is a contender and the GM believes the roster is young and talented within their top 11 rotation players.

Now maybe all of that is just smoke screen by them but the fact they literally ignored those two issues of rebounding and defense at the deadline makes me think they truly do believe they are contenders as currently constructed right now.

Last edited by Dallas41; 03-28-2021 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-28-2021, 01:23 PM   #850
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
We're not.

We're just hemmed in with zero assets. It's just been a tough build and we ran out of gas. It happens to almost every NBA team.
We're hemmed in with zero assets because we don't acquire assets during the offseason OR develop our rookies

2 offseasons ago we had cap room and acquired Wright and Curry. Last offseason we unloaded both assets for different assets

We are spinning our tires in the mud
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 01:28 PM   #851
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Lakers are getting Drummond

They will pair him up with AD

I'm so sick of the Lakers and players just walking right to them.
Old 03-28-2021, 01:43 PM   #852
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
We're hemmed in with zero assets because we don't acquire assets during the offseason OR develop our rookies

2 offseasons ago we had cap room and acquired Wright and Curry. Last offseason we unloaded both assets for different assets

We are spinning our tires in the mud
None of us are GM's or scouts but I put this in another thread

Imagine if the Mavs had done their homework on Christian Wood and scouted S.Bey properly.

This roster was more than capable of being fixed this past offseason

Luka
Bey
DFS
Wood
KP

Curry
Brunson
THJ
Kleber
WCS
Old 03-28-2021, 01:45 PM   #853
purplefrog
Platinum Member

Quote:

Jazz pick up Ilysavoa and Matt Thomas. Slight upgrade to roster.

Suns do nothing.

Lakers pick up Drummond. Improve roster.

Clippers pick up Rondo for Lou Williams. That might be a roster downgrade.

Blazers pick up Norman Powell for Gary Trent Jr. Short-term upgrade but I doubt they can afford to re-sign Powell.

Nuggets trade for Aaron Gordon and Javale McGee. Roster upgrade.

Spurs pick up Dieng but lose Aldridge. Not much change.

Mavs pick up Reddick for Johnson and Iwundu. Roster upgrade if Reddick can play.
Old 03-28-2021, 01:57 PM   #854
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefrog View Post

Suns do nothing.

Blazers pick up Norman Powell for Gary Trent Jr. Short-term upgrade but I doubt they can afford to re-sign Powell.

Mavs pick up Reddick for Johnson and Iwundu. Roster upgrade if Reddick can play.
I actually think Dieng gives the Spurs some size now inside which Aldridge wasn't doing.

Powell is a guy that I think was a win now move for the Blazers. I'm sure they would like to resign him but I think they feel like they can do some serious damage in the post season this year so went for it.

There's absolutely no way anyone matches up with the Lakers front line if healthy with AD + Drummond. They are just going to pound people on the glass and inside. Maybe AD comes back tentative or rusty but right now that front line looks a lot like prime Gasol and Bynum all over again.

Denver is my dark horse because I believe Gordon gives them that defensive stopper they didn't have this year. If they use this dude properly which I'm sure they will with Jokic they are going to be something special by the playoffs.

Chris Paul when you think about it was really all the Suns needed. They lacked a veteran leader and closer. They play surprising good defense with Crowder/Bridges on the wings and Ayton + Booker will only get better with more experience.

I really don't see where Redick changes the Mavs much at all. He might knock down a few more 3's that were missing but in terms of defense and rebounding those issues will still remain.

Last edited by Dallas41; 03-28-2021 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03-28-2021, 02:55 PM   #855
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:

Suns do nothing.

As crazy as it sounds...Dieng might be a roster upgrade. Lamarcus was kind of bogging down the offense and honestly they were getting better minutes from Poetl, Johnson and Gay and Derozen seems to play better without him on the court.
I'm at a loss of words how the Spurs are even the 7th seed. I had them fighting for one of the worst records in the league his year. Guess I just overhyped the Mavs, Pelicans and Grizz.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 02:56 PM   #856
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
I actually think Dieng gives the Spurs some size now inside which Aldridge wasn't doing.

Powell is a guy that I think was a win now move for the Blazers. I'm sure they would like to resign him but I think they feel like they can do some serious damage in the post season this year so went for it.

There's absolutely no way anyone matches up with the Lakers front line if healthy with AD + Drummond. They are just going to pound people on the glass and inside. Maybe AD comes back tentative or rusty but right now that front line looks a lot like prime Gasol and Bynum all over again.

Denver is my dark horse because I believe Gordon gives them that defensive stopper they didn't have this year. If they use this dude properly which I'm sure they will with Jokic they are going to be something special by the playoffs.

Chris Paul when you think about it was really all the Suns needed. They lacked a veteran leader and closer. They play surprising good defense with Crowder/Bridges on the wings and Ayton + Booker will only get better with more experience.

I really don't see where Redick changes the Mavs much at all. He might knock down a few more 3's that were missing but in terms of defense and rebounding those issues will still remain.
Honestly Reddick doesn't do anything for the Mavs. His 2 or 3 3 point shots a game isn't going to have a factor when eh's giving up much more on the defensive side of the ball.
Old 03-28-2021, 03:16 PM   #857
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
Honestly Reddick doesn't do anything for the Mavs. His 2 or 3 3 point shots a game isn't going to have a factor when eh's giving up much more on the defensive side of the ball.
1st time listening to Kirk's podcast after a game over at mavsmoneyball and it's not just the fans here frustrated with the decisions being made.

They also mentioned how Zion is just as much of health risk as KP yet he was out there playing on B2B and he plays a more physical rough style.

Which I agree with at some point you need to roll with KP and quit baby sitting him.

They bashed the hell out Richardson spoke of that terrible layup where he shot a brick off the bottom of the backboard LOL

Dude has clearly not been what they expected him to be and the rookies obviously has everyone frustrated by their lack of playing time even in games where the Mavs decide to sit both Luka and KP.

Then there is Dwight Powell 17 minutes of playing time and grabs 1 rebound to justify that salary.

I think a lot fans are just ready for the off season and crossing their fingers that they will go hard after someone like John Collins. If that fails then I don't know what the hell they are going to do in Free agency.

Last edited by Dallas41; 03-28-2021 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-28-2021, 04:21 PM   #858
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
1st time listening to Kirk's podcast after a game over at mavsmoneyball and it's not just the fans here frustrated with the decisions being made.

They also mentioned how Zion is just as much of health risk as KP yet he was out there playing on B2B and he plays a more physical rough style.

Which I agree with at some point you need to roll with KP and quit baby sitting him.

They bashed the hell out Richardson spoke of that terrible layup where he shot a brick off the bottom of the backboard LOL

Dude has clearly not been what they expected him to be and the rookies obviously has everyone frustrated by their lack of playing time even in games where the Mavs decide to sit both Luka and KP.

Then there is Dwight Powell 17 minutes of playing time and grabs 1 rebound to justify that salary.

I think a lot fans are just ready for the off season and crossing their fingers that they will go hard after someone like John Collins. If that fails then I don't know what the hell they are going to do in Free agency.
I know he's had some tough runs in this league with injuries but I just can't get behind this whole resting nonsense if the guy can play. If he's this injury riddled than get rid of him. His body is going to break down anyway if this is how you have to handle him in his mid 20's.....
Old 03-28-2021, 04:31 PM   #859
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I know he's had some tough runs in this league with injuries but I just can't get behind this whole resting nonsense if the guy can play. If he's this injury riddled than get rid of him. His body is going to break down anyway if this is how you have to handle him in his mid 20's.....
They are just doing what the medical people are telling them, and he’s signed to a big long term contract. How do they just get rid of him? When they traded the picks, and committed to signing him, they made a gamble. Too late to back out of it. They just have to ride it out for now.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 05:16 PM   #860
Zeus

Zeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
We're not.

Out of gas since 2011? Mavs brass are not good at team building save finding and drafting 2 generational talents in past 22 years. The 2020 draft is likely exhibit #30 of missed opportunities. Time will tell..
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 05:28 PM   #861
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
Out of gas since 2011? Mavs brass are not good at team building save finding and drafting 2 generational talents in past 22 years. The 2020 draft is likely exhibit #30 of missed opportunities. Time will tell..
The Mavs after getting Dirk won 50+ games every year for over a decade, made the finals twice and won a championship. Then they got Luka- a player that has the potential to be one of the top 10 greatest players ever- before Dirk even retired. As EL pointed out earlier in this thread, most teams after winning a title are awful for decades.

Mavs fans are spoiled. I have no idea whether the guys we drafted in 2020 will be anything, but the Cuban-Nelson brain trust on the whole has been far more successful than most other NBA organizations.

Yes, after 2011 it got rough. They were still routinely in the playoffs until 2016. Plan powder was dumb, but making the playoffs is still an accomplishment. People act like we've been the frigging Knicks or something.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 06:48 PM   #862
Zeus

Zeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
The Mavs after getting Dirk won 50+ games every year for over a decade, made the finals twice and won a championship. Then they got Luka- a player that has the potential to be one of the top 10 greatest players ever- before Dirk even retired. As EL pointed out earlier in this thread, most teams after winning a title are awful for decades.

Mavs fans are spoiled. I have no idea whether the guys we drafted in 2020 will be anything, but the Cuban-Nelson brain trust on the whole has been far more successful than most other NBA organizations.

Yes, after 2011 it got rough. They were still routinely in the playoffs until 2016. Plan powder was dumb, but making the playoffs is still an accomplishment. People act like we've been the frigging Knicks or something.
Spoiled? That's silly. When the Mavs won in 2011 with a 32 yo Dirk would you have thought that Zero playoff series wins in the next decade would be the achievement? I would have taken the over if someone would have given me 5 series wins in a decade.

Last edited by Zeus; 03-28-2021 at 06:51 PM.
Old 03-28-2021, 06:53 PM   #863
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

An article about why no one wanted Drummond, and why traditional rebounding specialists are in less demand. Because of the increase in threes, the rebounds are further from the basket, and teams also emphasize getting back on defense over crashing the boards.

https://www.si.com/nba/2021/03/25/an...ng-daily-cover

Along those same lines, in 2017 and 2018, the last two years LeBron James led the Cavs to the Finals, Cleveland ranked 18th and 24th, respectively, in rebound rate. They excelled from the perimeter instead.

With those sorts of teams having four or even all five players spaced out to the arc at times, they’ll see it as more worthwhile to focus on defense. “Statistically, it shows that if you get back every single time, you’re gonna save more points than you’d score by going to the glass [after offensive boards],” Rivers says.

Also I found this interesting:

Clifford points out that a handful of teams last year—the Suns, Pacers, Grizzlies and Bulls—ranked near the top of the NBA in both putback efficiency and in transition defense, which may be the next type of players teams will seek. Which athletes have enough cat-like quickness and basketball instincts to jump into the fray from the three-point line and come up with the ball while still getting back to help defend?

Last edited by FreshJive; 03-28-2021 at 06:58 PM.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 07:05 PM   #864
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive View Post
They are just doing what the medical people are telling them, and he’s signed to a big long term contract. How do they just get rid of him? When they traded the picks, and committed to signing him, they made a gamble. Too late to back out of it. They just have to ride it out for now.
Easy just trade him. What you traded him for is irrelevant. If they think at some point he can get to being a more full time player then by all means keep him. But I’m saying if this is what we have to look forward to what’s the point of holding on to him?
Old 03-28-2021, 07:10 PM   #865
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:

What kind of irks me about this draft wasn’t the Tyrel or Bey picks....it was that Josh Green pick....on what planet do you pick Green over Saadiq Bey who is exactly what you needed? You don’t hit on all drafts but man some of these drafts make you wonder what’s the reason for them.
Old 03-28-2021, 07:12 PM   #866
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive View Post
An article about why no one wanted Drummond, and why traditional rebounding specialists are in less demand. Because of the increase in threes, the rebounds are further from the basket, and teams also emphasize getting back on defense over crashing the boards.

https://www.si.com/nba/2021/03/25/an...ng-daily-cover

Along those same lines, in 2017 and 2018, the last two years LeBron James led the Cavs to the Finals, Cleveland ranked 18th and 24th, respectively, in rebound rate. They excelled from the perimeter instead.

With those sorts of teams having four or even all five players spaced out to the arc at times, they’ll see it as more worthwhile to focus on defense. “Statistically, it shows that if you get back every single time, you’re gonna save more points than you’d score by going to the glass [after offensive boards],” Rivers says.

Also I found this interesting:

Clifford points out that a handful of teams last year—the Suns, Pacers, Grizzlies and Bulls—ranked near the top of the NBA in both putback efficiency and in transition defense, which may be the next type of players teams will seek. Which athletes have enough cat-like quickness and basketball instincts to jump into the fray from the three-point line and come up with the ball while still getting back to help defend?
They can say no one wanted Drummond but of Dwight Powell has a job in this league certainly Drummond will. Analytics are ruining some teams.....I would say it’s ruining the league but I mean it is exciting to watch......
Old 03-28-2021, 07:14 PM   #867
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:

I think he has some what of a valid point

It's been a decade since they've got out the 1st round when they have made the playoffs.

In sports most Front Offices make personnel changes, coaching changes or front office changes with those types of results wouldn't you agree?

So it's great that they haven't reached the Knicks level. Hell I think it's great that the Cowboys haven't reached the Jets level.

But at the end of day what standards are we setting for the Mavs or Cowboys if we are just content that they haven't falling off to the level of those franchise in recent years.

I guess the best way to really describe things right now over the last decade is that the franchise has been treading water just good enough to make the playoffs but never good enough to truly advance pass the 1st round would you call that a fair assessment?

I know it's a different time and era but I do recall they struggled for two years starting off Dirk's career but in 2000 they not only made the playoffs they won a 1st round series vs the Jazz.

They seemed to make moves in the offseason or doing the season that made sense as to the type of team Poppa Nellie was trying to construct and they would at least advance past the 1st round under Nellie year after year.

It just seemed like the direction of the franchise was clear back then trying to build around Dirk. Nellie never seemed to be content I will give him that much and yes I realize there was no salary cap.

But as mentioned in the GDT this past offseason the team was coming off an exciting playoff series vs the Clippers and naturally fan expectations were high.

Some fans craved for a 3 & D player doing the draft to fit a need ASAP and they proceeded to pass up on both Bey and Bane two NBA ready made prospects & I'm not saying Green won't ever get there but those two guys were ready to fill that need right away.

What was the Mavs scouting department thinking.

Then in free agency there seemed to be just regular ole fans on these boards that identified a talent like Christian Wood who would have made an immediate impact to the front court right away.

I mean you do have to find yourself wondering had they done their homework and scouting adding two pieces like Wood and Bey to this roster and this is a totally different team in terms of contending right now.

What happens if they blow it again this offseason?

Last edited by Dallas41; 03-28-2021 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-28-2021, 07:23 PM   #868
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

That’s like saying you’re tired of the nba. This is how things always work. Whoever is title contenders or current champs get the buyout spoils
Old 03-28-2021, 08:31 PM   #869
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
That’s like saying you’re tired of the nba. This is how things always work. Whoever is title contenders or current champs get the buyout spoils
Seems like we never got them even as contenders though.
Old 03-28-2021, 08:39 PM   #870
Heezzi

Heezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to all

Quote:
What kind of irks me about this draft wasn’t the Tyrel or Bey picks....it was that Josh Green pick....on what planet do you pick Green over Saadiq Bey who is exactly what you needed? You don’t hit on all drafts but man some of these drafts make you wonder what’s the reason for them.
Anyone who saw the Mavs play the Clippers saw that Maxi was bricking threes because he was out of gas from playing defense. All they had to do was draft Bey and run it back.
Heezzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 08:45 PM   #871
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heezzi View Post
Anyone who saw the Mavs play the Clippers saw that Maxi was bricking threes because he was out of gas from playing defense. All they had to do was draft Bey and run it back.
Just trying to be too cute man...I'd love to hear their reasoning for why they had Maxey and Bey lower on their draft board than Green.

Last edited by Dtownsfinest; 03-28-2021 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-28-2021, 09:02 PM   #872
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Watch the Blazers game today and now all of sudden they can bring Kanter off the bench.

They have very well balanced team now with Dame, McCollum, Powell, Roco and Nurkic starting.

Their bench looks like how the Mavs bench should look if we weren't using backups as starters.

They role with Melo, Simons, Kanter and D. Jones Jr with the option to play Collins when he gets healthy. Seems like that trade really put everyone in their right positions now for the Blazers.

Jones Jr might be more talented than Richardson that's the luxury they have to bring him off the bench.

Not even going to comment on the Denver game I'm watching as Jokic throws dimes to Gordon (SMFH)

Last edited by Dallas41; 03-28-2021 at 09:04 PM.
Old 03-28-2021, 09:15 PM   #873
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think he has some what of a valid point

It's been a decade since they've got out the 1st round when they have made the playoffs.

In sports most Front Offices make personnel changes, coaching changes or front office changes with those types of results wouldn't you agree?

So it's great that they haven't reached the Knicks level. Hell I think it's great that the Cowboys haven't reached the Jets level.

But at the end of day what standards are we setting for the Mavs or Cowboys if we are just content that they haven't falling off to the level of those franchise in recent years.

I guess the best way to really describe things right now over the last decade is that the franchise has been treading water just good enough to make the playoffs but never good enough to truly advance pass the 1st round would you call that a fair assessment?

I know it's a different time and era but I do recall they struggled for two years starting off Dirk's career but in 2000 they not only made the playoffs they won a 1st round series vs the Jazz.

They seemed to make moves in the offseason or doing the season that made sense as to the type of team Poppa Nellie was trying to construct and they would at least advance past the 1st round under Nellie year after year.

It just seemed like the direction of the franchise was clear back then trying to build around Dirk. Nellie never seemed to be content I will give him that much and yes I realize there was no salary cap.

But as mentioned in the GDT this past offseason the team was coming off an exciting playoff series vs the Clippers and naturally fan expectations were high.

Some fans craved for a 3 & D player doing the draft to fit a need ASAP and they proceeded to pass up on both Bey and Bane two NBA ready made prospects & I'm not saying Green won't ever get there but those two guys were ready to fill that need right away.

What was the Mavs scouting department thinking.

Then in free agency there seemed to be just regular ole fans on these boards that identified a talent like Christian Wood who would have made an immediate impact to the front court right away.

I mean you do have to find yourself wondering had they done their homework and scouting adding two pieces like Wood and Bey to this roster and this is a totally different team in terms of contending right now.

What happens if they blow it again this offseason?
1. The mavs scouting department was busy out thinking themselves on Green over Bey or Bane.

The MBT including scouts had to realize that Luka was already 'ready to contend' and we didn't have to risk a pick on Green panning out in 3 years. Hopefully he does but there were guys who could roll right in and either start or contribute. The only thing standing in Bey or Banes way would have always been Rick.

2. I take offense to being called "regular ole fans" in regards to C. Wood...and Bane.

There's too much importance placed on fit, when we don't have enough talent or assets. Now, best case scenario may just be John Collins in FA and that's going to be WAY more expensive than C Wood. Hard to imagine Collins being anymore a better fit than Wood. If that somehow miraculously pans out, we will soon have 3 max players in Doncic, KP and JC.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY

Last edited by SMC0007; 03-28-2021 at 09:16 PM.
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 09:15 PM   #874
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heezzi View Post
Yep his legs were gone having to defend Leonard in that series. It effected his jump shot as that series wore on.

But they refuse to go after bigger wing players it's been that way for years now.

I would count Green and Bey but they don't play so it's pointless.

They basically have Kleber, DFS and Richardson one of those guys go down or get into foul trouble and it will cause a ripple effect. DFS is one of my favorite players but he's not strong enough to matchup with guy's like Leonard, Melo or LeBron. Other guys like Porter, Ingram and Wiggins tend to just shoot over the top of him and smaller guys like Dame, Paul and Curry who he chases around will just blow by him after they set him up in ISO.

But he has shown the ability to defend Paul George and James Harden which is kind of weird.
Old 03-28-2021, 10:19 PM   #875
Zeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
1. The mavs scouting department was busy out thinking themselves on Green over Bey or Bane.

The MBT including scouts had to realize that Luka was already 'ready to contend' and we didn't have to risk a pick on Green panning out in 3 years. Hopefully he does but there were guys who could roll right in and either start or contribute. The only thing standing in Bey or Banes way would have always been Rick.

2. I take offense to being called "regular ole fans" in regards to C. Wood...and Bane.

There's too much importance placed on fit, when we don't have enough talent or assets. Now, best case scenario may just be John Collins in FA and that's going to be WAY more expensive than C Wood. Hard to imagine Collins being anymore a better fit than Wood. If that somehow miraculously pans out, we will soon have 3 max players in Doncic, KP and JC.
Couldn't agree more. I remember many Mavs discussions on podcasts saying that Bey wouldn't fall to the Mavs but if he did they would take. Oh boy..
Old 03-28-2021, 11:09 PM   #876
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Rick not playing the rooks on a scheduled loss is defenseless, there's no excuse. Seems like you have to believe in Either Rick is a really good coach and management isn't good OR management is good and Rick isn't. How can you have both in the situation we have? It's not a 'we are the worst', dooms day type thing to me. It's just puzzling how MBT is good AND Rick Is good... I don't think that can exist currently. The majority of people's opinion from various places is:
Green may have a high ceiling but we have no idea when or if it will start to show. Same with Bey...and Terry I guess. And Powell sucks. Those things are aligned with the majority of fans, probably the vast majority.

So why is Rick being allowed to keep the rookies stuck on the bench in favor of Burke and Powell when we are not playing Luka and KP. Did Rick not agree with the picks? Is he too fn loyal to tenured guys? Is he just not that good at developing guys? Idk, it's not consistent when you consider Brunson got plenty of minutes and look how he is doing. But he was kinda ready to roll when he got to the league? Well cool so was Bane... he was very ready to contribute. Who the hell wouldn't rather have Bane the JJ Reddick right now?

Either the scouts and MBT collectively fvcked up or our picks are very lack luster and they see it every single day in practice. There's things that don't add up to me personally and are hard to exist together.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY

Last edited by SMC0007; 03-28-2021 at 11:10 PM.
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 11:17 PM   #877
Zeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Rick not playing the rooks on a scheduled loss is defenseless, there's no excuse. Seems like you have to believe in Either Rick is a really good coach and management isn't good OR management is good and Rick isn't. How can you have both in the situation we have? It's not a 'we are the worst', dooms day type thing to me. It's just puzzling how MBT is good AND Rick Is good... I don't think that can exist currently. The majority of people's opinion from various places is:
Green may have a high ceiling but we have no idea when or if it will start to show. Same with Bey...and Terry I guess. And Powell sucks. Those things are aligned with the majority of fans, probably the vast majority.

So why is Rick being allowed to keep the rookies stuck on the bench in favor of Burke and Powell when we are not playing Luka and KP. Did Rick not agree with the picks? Is he too fn loyal to tenured guys? Is he just not that good at developing guys? Idk, it's not consistent when you consider Brunson got plenty of minutes and look how he is doing. But he was kinda ready to roll when he got to the league? Well cool so was Bane... he was very ready to contribute. Who the hell wouldn't rather have Bane the JJ Reddick right now?

Either the scouts and MBT collectively fvcked up or our picks are very lack luster and they see it every single day in practice. There's things that don't add up to me personally and are hard to exist together.
I am going to go with the option that both Rick and the MBT are mediocre.
Old 03-29-2021, 08:37 AM   #878
purplefrog
Platinum Member

I realize it is doubtful the Mavs are looking to change the roster, but nonetheless here are some names of players who are currently free agents. If they are currently free agents, you have to wonder why, but nonetheless..

Centers
DeMarcus Cousins
DeWayne Dedmon
Tyson Chandler
Ian Mahinmi
Jordan Bell
John Henson

Point Guards
Jeff Teague
Isiah Thomas
Jeremy Lin
Brandon Knight
Shabazz Napier
Yogi Ferrell

Others
DeMarre Carroll
Rondae Hollis-Jefferson
Anthony Tolliver
Jonas Jerebko
Jonathan Motley
Kyle Korver
Gerald Green

Last edited by purplefrog; 03-29-2021 at 08:37 AM.
purplefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 09:11 AM   #879
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I realize it is doubtful the Mavs are looking to change the roster, but nonetheless here are some names of players who are currently free agents. If they are currently free agents, you have to wonder why, but nonetheless..

Centers
DeMarcus Cousins
DeWayne Dedmon
Tyson Chandler
Ian Mahinmi
Jordan Bell
John Henson

Point Guards
Jeff Teague
Isiah Thomas
Jeremy Lin
Brandon Knight
Shabazz Napier
Yogi Ferrell

Others
DeMarre Carroll
Rondae Hollis-Jefferson
Anthony Tolliver
Jonas Jerebko
Jonathan Motley
Kyle Korver
Gerald Green
I don't see a single guy that is at this point in their career, moves the needle
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 11:16 AM   #880
VA-Mavs-Fan

VA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the roughVA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the roughVA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the roughVA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the roughVA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
None of us are GM's or scouts but I put this in another thread

Imagine if the Mavs had done their homework on Christian Wood and scouted S.Bey properly.
Well - imagine if RC actually played Green and our own Bey. THose guys are our most athletic and could be the best defenders on the team. and might have some offense. I think those guys can play, and pretty quickly, might be better than a lot of players playing ahead of them now. Instead, RC would rather play the bunch of mediocre players, most of whom won't be here in a year or two, and aren't really helping much. just stupid.
RC thinks - no rookie minutes - equates to championship or at least playoffs!
play and develop rookies some on this team - means no playoffs.
As you can tell, i totally disagree. A number of guys getting minutes are just average or mediocre. Let's see what Green and Bey can do.

I agree w/ SMC - and i have said
Green should be getting all of Burke's minutes.
Bey should be playing instead of Powell for sure, maybe some others.
Play them, and prove me wrong RC

Is RC trying to lose, or does he just hate Green, Bey? Why pick those guys if coach hates them.

Last edited by VA-Mavs-Fan; 03-29-2021 at 11:21 AM.
VA-Mavs-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote