Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 07-10-2003, 08:12 AM   #1
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default You should never beat your sausage

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Simon swings bat at 'Italian sausage'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

MILWAUKEE -- Pittsburgh first baseman Randall Simon was booked for misdemeanor battery for hitting one of the Milwaukee Brewers' popular racing sausages with a bat during Wednesday night's game.

Simon was released, said a spokeswoman for the Milwaukee County Sheriff's Department, who asked not to be identified. Simon will meet with the district attorney's office Thursday, and it will be up to prosecutors to determine whether formal charges are filed.

In an event that's a fan favorite at Miller Park, four people in sausage costumes race around the bases between the sixth and seventh innings at Milwaukee Brewers games.

Film of Wednesday night's race showed that when the group went past the Pirates' third-base dugout, Simon took a two-handed chop at the Italian sausage character -- portrayed by a 20-year-old South Milwaukee woman -- hitting her from behind and causing her to tumble to the ground.

As she fell, a nearby sausage -- the hot dog -- went down as well.

Simon was on the top step of the dugout and reached over the railing to make contact.

"They were doing the sausage race. He hit her with the baseball bat," said Deputy Inspector Sherry Warichak of the Milwaukee County Sheriff's Department, which provides security at Brewers games. "When he hit her, that other character fell."

"They both were treated at the scene for scraped knees, but at this point I don't think they have any other complaints," she said.

She declined to release the names of the women.

Warichak said the two women, along with Simon, were interviewed at the stadium.

Simon drew boos from many of the fans when he was later used as a pinch-hitter in the seventh. He grounded out in a game Milwaukee won 2-1 in 12 innings.

Pirates outfielder Reggie Sanders said he thought the weight of the head on the sausage costume contributed to the fall.

"It maybe made it look worse than it was," Sanders said. "It was an unfortunate situation and, hopefully, it gets resolved."

"It was very strange," he said.

Rick Schlessinger, the Brewers' executive vice president for business operations, said he felt Simon's "conduct is just unjustified."

Schlessinger said he was in contact with Larry Silverman, vice president/baseball legal counsel for the Pirates.

Ryan Borghoff, 16, who wore the bratwurst costume in the race, called the episode "unbelievable."

"He just hit the costume and she fell over," he said. "These things are so top-heavy that it doesn't take much."

Borghoff went on to win the race.

"Somebody had to, I guess," he said.

Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2003, 10:02 AM   #2
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

he's gonna get f'ed over this. Just watch. I think it is extremely funny though, but he is gonna be screwed.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 10:06 AM   #3
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
As she fell, a nearby sausage -- the hot dog -- went down as well.
ROFLMAO
That is the best line. If I were a writer, I think I would do it just for the opportunity to write wacky stuff like this. Classic.

Old 07-10-2003, 02:22 PM   #4
Royalty_Inc

Royalty_Inc is on a distinguished road

I just HAD to reply on this topic...

I just heard Jim Rome and his extremely long take on how bad a thing this was that Simon did. He has him right up there with the alleged crime (at this point) that Kobe has gotten involved in, the Portland Trailblazers soap opera, the OJ crime, and Vernon Maxwell going into the stands after a fan....

Sorry...I don't see it. Simon did something in the spur of the moment out of playfulness. I didn't see him with malicious intent. I didn't see him wind back for a widowmaker. He didn't extend in an attempt to go yard. Dude chopped down (and not very fast or hard) and happened to hit the meat (hehe) and startled her which caused her to fall. Her only injury was a scrapped knee...not a knot on the head or a bruised back. Let it go...

What next? Rome's gonna instist that Barkely be tried for punching Harry the Hawk in Atlanta, Frank Layden for sexual misconduct for kissing Morganna (remember that name..hehe) or Dirk being convicted for petty theft for stealing some popcorn from a kid...remember it was planned out since he intentionally tapped the kid on the shoulder to get him to look the other way.

Oh man...Rome...you're OUT!
Royalty_Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 02:47 PM   #5
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: You should never beat your sausage

i agree. it look totally harmless and playful. there was very little force used. he messed with a mascot-type object of the opposing team.

man, the brewers rep made it sound like the guy had killed puppies.

I think there's video on this page: LINK
Old 07-10-2003, 03:00 PM   #6
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

Mandyahl will become famous soon enoughMandyahl will become famous soon enough

the site now says that no charges were filed.

that video is pretty funny though.
Old 07-10-2003, 04:16 PM   #7
dallas_esq
Golden Member

dallas_esq is a jewel in the roughdallas_esq is a jewel in the roughdallas_esq is a jewel in the rough

He should have known better than to poke anyone with a bat. That's uh, kind of a weapon? No matter what your intent is if you are wielding a bat. It's just not worth prosecuting.
Old 07-10-2003, 08:58 PM   #8

Member will become famous soon enoughMember will become famous soon enough

geeze, the things people take seriously these days
Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 10:15 PM   #9
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

the girl that was in the costume thought it was funny.. she had no idea what happened. obviously, she didn't feel a thing, considering the bat was 3 feet away from hitting any part of her body.

Was this something that should have happend? No, Simon probably shouldn't have done this. However, it is a freaking joke that this big of a deal is being made of it.

If the girl involved thinks that it is funny and that it is absolutely no big deal, obviously..it should be no big deal.

Pathetic..baseball can't take a funny situation and make sure that it stays that way..they have to issue some long statement saying how this isn't representative of the type of product they want to put on the field.

Give me a damn break..you have freaking sausages running around the damn field. What type of product ARE you trying to put on the field?

and Jim rhome is a freaking dildo..just thought i'd throw that in.

Anyone that listens to the guy automatically loses credibility on this site.. just read the FAQ section
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 10:38 PM   #10
dallas_esq
Golden Member

dallas_esq is a jewel in the roughdallas_esq is a jewel in the roughdallas_esq is a jewel in the rough

Simon should not have been swinging a bat at those people. It doesn't matter if it hit her body or not. Anything connected to you is part of you for purposes of an offensive touching. When he is not on the field, he is not part of the show. He acted inappropriately. Criminal? Maybe not, but he definitely needs some training in how to conduct himself, as most professional athletes do.
Old 07-10-2003, 10:51 PM   #11

Member will become famous soon enoughMember will become famous soon enough

Murph:
Quote:
the girl that was in the costume thought it was funny.. she had no idea what happened. obviously, she didn't feel a thing, considering the bat was 3 feet away from hitting any part of her body.

Was this something that should have happend? No, Simon probably shouldn't have done this. However, it is a freaking joke that this big of a deal is being made of it.

If the girl involved thinks that it is funny and that it is absolutely no big deal, obviously..it should be no big deal.

Pathetic..baseball can't take a funny situation and make sure that it stays that way..they have to issue some long statement saying how this isn't representative of the type of product they want to put on the field.

Give me a damn break..you have freaking sausages running around the damn field. What type of product ARE you trying to put on the field?
couldnt agree more
Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 10:59 PM   #12
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

like i said, he probably shouldn't have done what he did..but damn, if the girl in question doesn't have a problem with it..thinks that it's funny, nonetheless, well, it's just freaking unbelievable that this crap escalated like it did
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 08:40 AM   #13
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

it was a freakin' tap with a bat! he didn't swing it like he was swigning for the fences.

and i definitely agree with murph. way too big a deal has been made.
Old 07-11-2003, 02:10 PM   #14
cookies_n_mavs

cookies_n_mavs is on a distinguished road

Italian sausage is nasty anyway
Old 07-11-2003, 02:40 PM   #15
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

[quote]

and Jim rhome is a freaking dildo..just thought i'd throw that in.[quote]

I don't know why, but I found this to be incredibly funny. Especially that first line. Nice post.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote