Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 09-12-2003, 09:46 AM   #41
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Does anyone have a problem with me on this site?

aex, are you 5'5?
you're taller, right?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2003, 10:37 AM   #42
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

i'm 6'2" almost 6'3".
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 10:37 AM   #43
WayOutWest
Golden Member

WayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: u2sarajevo
I always enjoy reading your posts in the Mav's section. I don't recall reading the asian height thing, so can't comment on that.

But you are a very valuable addition to this board. I don't have a problem with any of the posters on this site (except for Way Out West's racist comments yesterday, and the CONSTANT name calling in your and Doc's threads).

I love each and every one of you posters in a non man-love/commitment love kind of love way.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
It was a joke for fuggs sake, worse things are said on this board and are allowed to homer-slide under the carpet.

If I had a problem with Mexicans I would have called the INS on my parents years ago! Then again my little coconuts would never forgive me for having grandma and grandpa deported.

"Lakers hate causes blindness"
WayOutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 12:17 PM   #44
Jeremiah

Jeremiah will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: WayOutWest
Quote:
I always enjoy reading your posts in the Mav's section. I don't recall reading the asian height thing, so can't comment on that.

But you are a very valuable addition to this board. I don't have a problem with any of the posters on this site (except for Way Out West's racist comments yesterday, and the CONSTANT name calling in your and Doc's threads).

I love each and every one of you posters in a non man-love/commitment love kind of love way.

It was a joke for fuggs sake, worse things are said on this board and are allowed to homer-slide under the carpet.

If I had a problem with Mexicans I would have called the INS on my parents years ago! Then again my little coconuts would never forgive me for having grandma and grandpa deported.
The problem was, no one knows you, though you presume they do. If you choose to comment like you did to people you don't know, you should expect to be held accountable.
Old 09-12-2003, 12:52 PM   #45
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

it doesn't matter if it's a joke..it's still in poor taste
Old 09-12-2003, 01:26 PM   #46
WayOutWest
Golden Member

WayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Jeremiah
Quote:
Quote:

The problem was, no one knows you, though you presume they do. If you choose to comment like you did to people you don't know, you should expect to be held accountable.
I don't presume anyone knows me or not, that's not the reason I was off color joking. I've read worse BS that's been posted on this board that nobody has a problem with, mostly centered around the Lakers and their fans.

I've been held accountable many times. I've had to open a can of wupp @ss on people as well has having a BUCKET of wupp @ss opened on me. Ahhhhh....memories.....

Old 09-12-2003, 01:28 PM   #47
WayOutWest
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
it doesn't matter if it's a joke..it's still in poor taste
Many jokes are, like hiring a hitman to kill an NBA player. I noticed you where practically the ONLY one who made any comment about it, everyone else just played along or didn't feel the need to call that comment into question. I commend you for that Murph and will learn to adjust my homerism and hypocracy filter accordingly for the rest of the board.

Old 09-12-2003, 01:42 PM   #48
Murphy3
Guru

maybe people aren't offended by joking about others hiring someone to knock someone off. if not, so be it.

however, several were offended by your racial joke. Even if it is a joke, it is uncalled for.
Old 09-12-2003, 01:46 PM   #49
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Quote:

Racism is usually called out. You made a racist statement and you got called out on it. The fact that you CLAIM to be Hispanic does not mean anything.
MFFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 02:41 PM   #50
WayOutWest
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: MFFL
Racism is usually called out. You made a racist statement and you got called out on it. The fact that you CLAIM to be Hispanic does not mean anything.
I'm not debating wether the statement was racist or not, cause it pretty much was. I just find it hypocritical for people to rally against racist jokes but murder jokes seems to be ok, go figure.

I didn't CLAIM to be Hispanic, although I'm one stinking grandparent worth of Hispanic (FYI he was stinking cause he was an a-hole not cause he was hispanic), I just CLAIMED my parents are "Mexican". They are "Mexican" by citizenship not by blood, at least not my mom. I don't care for today's Mexican or Mexico because they treat my people the way Blacks were treated before and durring the 1960's. Just like the blacks, Zapotec and other indigenous races are being robbed, exploited and murdered by the powers that be in Mexico. Just like you and others don't find racism humorous I don't find murder for hire funny since I've know people first hand who were on the wrong end of that "joke". I don't find it funny but it doesn't offend me either, then again I haven't really heard a good "hitman" joke so the jury may still be out.

Old 09-12-2003, 02:46 PM   #51
WayOutWest
Golden Member

Quote:
maybe people aren't offended by joking about others hiring someone to knock someone off. if not, so be it.

however, several were offended by your racial joke. Even if it is a joke, it is uncalled for.

Thanks for the advice Murph. I guess it was pretty obvious NOT to joke around about racism seeing as how jokes about murder and child molesters are ok. Silly me. [img]i/expressions/rolleye.gif[/img]

Old 09-12-2003, 02:49 PM   #52
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Psychedelic Fuzz is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Does anyone have a problem with me on this site?

I think the point has to be raised that with a murder reference, it's generally accepted that it's a joke, not necessarily one in good taste, but a joke. With something racial it's harder to tell.

Psychedelic Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 03:01 PM   #53
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm not debating wether the statement was racist or not, cause it pretty much was. I just find it hypocritical for people to rally against racist jokes but murder jokes seems to be ok, go figure.
None of the members of this board are murderers (or we hope to God not, anyways), members of this board belong to different races. When you "joke" about murder it is not directetly affecting any poster on a personal level. When you "joke" about their race, it is nothing but personal.
Old 09-12-2003, 03:15 PM   #54
WayOutWest
Golden Member

Quote:
Quote:
None of the members of this board are murderers (or we hope to God not, anyways), members of this board belong to different races. When you "joke" about murder it is not directetly affecting any poster on a personal level. When you "joke" about their race, it is nothing but personal.
You can't make that statement as definative because I've known half a dozen people that were murderd, who in LA doesn't, and one of them was killed by hitmen in Mexico. My uncle has shot in Mexico by a hitman as well, fortunately he survived. Both those attacks in Mexico were over those men fighting for the rights of indigenous people.

Does your same logic apply to child molestation/molestors? Cause there's a joke about that on this board and nobody even blinked.

Old 09-12-2003, 03:27 PM   #55
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You can't make that statement as definative because I've known half a dozen people that were murderd, who in LA doesn't, and one of them was killed by hitmen in Mexico. My uncle has shot in Mexico by a hitman as well, fortunately he survived. Both those attacks in Mexico were over those men fighting for the rights of indigenous people.

Does your same logic apply to child molestation/molestors? Cause there's a joke about that on this board and nobody even blinked.
I am not going to sit here and debate you on such an inane topic. I stated that we aren't murderers, not that we weren't murdered. And yes, my logic does apply to child molestation/molestors/rapists.... we will make fun of them. Period.
Old 09-12-2003, 03:57 PM   #56
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: superheadcat
i don't have a problem with posters, and i do have some problems with several posts people posted.

as for you, i have a big problem with ur post that makes fun of the height of Chinese people, and did not go back to apologize or clarify that you are just kidding.

I remember making that post but I didn't mean anything by that. It was not really a joke just a bit of humor in it. I apologize if I offended anyone by it. Where is that post anyway?

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 04:00 PM   #57
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: aexchange
i'll admit the 5'5' asian thing had me really perturbed for a while. i felt like an apology or retraction was in order, but you never responded.

oh well.

i dont think you're a bad guy, just very misinformed at times. and no, i dont have any problems with you.

Yea I wish someone would've pm'ed me. I didn't mean anything by it but what I said I didn't feel was racial. I'm the type of person who is comfortable with my race and discussing race. I can understand that some aren't which is fine but at times I just go overboard when it comes to the race issue. I'm just so use to discussing race and not restraining from anything and I think thats why alot have a problem with it. I asked earlier but were is the post where I was joking about the chinese people? I remember doing it just don't remember what thread.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 04:13 PM   #58
WayOutWest
Golden Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I am not going to sit here and debate you on such an inane topic. I stated that we aren't murderers, not that we weren't murdered.
Wrong, you stated: "When you "joke" about murder it is not directetly affecting any poster on a personal level." That statement does not apply exclusively to murderers, it applies to anyone with personal level experience with murder. None of us here flew a plane into a skyscraper so would 9-11 jokes fly around here?

I really don't get your logic.

Quote:
And yes, my logic does apply to child molestation/molestors/rapists.... we will make fun of them. Period.
OMFG! Murder and child molestation is ok to joke about but racism isn't? Holy hypocrites Batman, this must be a goddamn Catholic board.

What about a joke about a child that was didled by a priest at church and on his way home he was raped and murdered by a guy with a chicken under one arm and a magic lamp under the other in front of a bar? Technically that would be ok around here right?

Old 09-12-2003, 04:20 PM   #59
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I am not going to sit here and debate you on such an inane topic. I stated that we aren't murderers, not that we weren't murdered.
Wrong, you stated: "When you "joke" about murder it is not directetly affecting any poster on a personal level." That statement does not apply exclusively to murderers, it applies to anyone with personal level experience with murder. None of us here flew a plane into a skyscraper so would 9-11 jokes fly around here?

I really don't get your logic.

Quote:
And yes, my logic does apply to child molestation/molestors/rapists.... we will make fun of them. Period.
OMFG! Murder and child molestation is ok to joke about but racism isn't? Holy hypocrites Batman, this must be a goddamn Catholic board.

What about a joke about a child that was didled by a priest at church and on his way home he was raped and murdered by a guy with a chicken under one arm and a magic lamp under the other in front of a bar? Technically that would be ok around here right?
I meant "murderers" not "murder", sorry for the incorrect context. And I never said I would joke about the act of child molestation or being raped... I was referring to rapers and molestors (those that actually perform those heinous acts, like Kobe is accused of for instance).

And by the way, I myself don't think I have done any of that. I may have laughed at some comments made. This is really ridiculous. I am not really sure why I responded to you. You are trying to skew the focus of this discussion which was on the case of bashing someone based on what race they are. I was only trying to get you to be mindful that your comments will be taken offensively by members of this board that BELONG TO THAT RACE.

That is it.
Old 09-12-2003, 04:20 PM   #60
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

[img]i/expressions/rolleye.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2003, 04:41 PM   #61
Jeremiah

Jeremiah will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the advice Murph. I guess it was pretty obvious NOT to joke around about racism seeing as how jokes about murder and child molesters are ok. Silly me. [img]i/expressions/rolleye.gif[/img]
you're going to get ripped if you make jokes that are racist or appear racist. Whether it's right or not really isn't the issue, and you'll probably exhaust yourself trying to argue how right or wrong it is - because that's the way it is around here. What is the issue is that some people were offended by the behavior, and some of them spoke up about the behavior. It's an issue of acceptable behavior, and if you didn't know before, you should know now that the type of behavior you exhibited is not acceptable to many that frequent this website. In contrast, making jokes about hitmen and child molestation, as you have pointed out, appears to be acceptable behavior to many that frequent this site, if by nothing more than their silence. If you don't accept that behavior, then that is your opportunity to speak up - perhaps then others will as well, and such behavior will be deemed unacceptable.

So what does this all mean for you? The way I see it, you have two options: 1) you can continue to complain about the unfairness and inconsistency of acceptable behavior and run up against the brick wall which are strong willed people, or 2) you could accept that you did something that people that frequent this site accept, acknowledge that, and move on.

Oh, and my tone is not intended to be that of patronization, but rather explanation. Hope that helps.
Old 09-12-2003, 04:47 PM   #62
WayOutWest
Golden Member

Quote:
I meant "murderers" not "murder", sorry for the incorrect context. And I never said I would joke about the act of child molestation or being raped... I was referring to rapers and molestors (those that actually perform those heinous acts, like Kobe is accused of for instance).
I'm sorry, I just don't see it your way.

Quote:
And by the way, I myself don't think I have done any of that. I may have laughed at some comments made. This is really ridiculous. I am not really sure why I responded to you. You are trying to skew the focus of this discussion which was on the case of bashing someone based on what race they are. I was only trying to get you to be mindful that your comments will be taken offensively by members of this board that BELONG TO THAT RACE.

That is it.
Najera has been bashed to no end around here for his playing ability and raised the the status of basketball god for apparently his race cause he's not that good. I know alot of people who are fans of Najera for the sole reason of his race. Since the thread was obviously going to become a Najera bashing sesssion I just put the two together and made it "Mexican bashing". A joke, in poor taste I agree but IMO not anymore tasteless than murder and child molestor jokes.

I've heard a million Mexican and wetback jokes in my lifetime as well as deragatory statements and insults hurled at me personally and I still don't get offended. We all have different levels of tolerance around here. I've got four little cocunut kids at home and I don't get offended by pedofile or molestation jokes. Thick skin I guess.

Old 09-12-2003, 04:52 PM   #63
WayOutWest
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Jeremiah
Quote:
Quote:

you're going to get ripped if you make jokes that are racist or appear racist. Whether it's right or not really isn't the issue, and you'll probably exhaust yourself trying to argue how right or wrong it is - because that's the way it is around here. What is the issue is that some people were offended by the behavior, and some of them spoke up about the behavior. It's an issue of acceptable behavior, and if you didn't know before, you should know now that the type of behavior you exhibited is not acceptable to many that frequent this website. In contrast, making jokes about hitmen and child molestation, as you have pointed out, appears to be acceptable behavior to many that frequent this site, if by nothing more than their silence. If you don't accept that behavior, then that is your opportunity to speak up - perhaps then others will as well, and such behavior will be deemed unacceptable.

So what does this all mean for you? The way I see it, you have two options: 1) you can continue to complain about the unfairness and inconsistency of acceptable behavior and run up against the brick wall which are strong willed people, or 2) you could accept that you did something that people that frequent this site accept, acknowledge that, and move on.

Oh, and my tone is not intended to be that of patronization, but rather explanation. Hope that helps.
That was understood, what I'm trying to figure out is the logic behind it. If that comes off as complaining so be it.

Thanks for you input though, I think this poor horse isn't going to get up no matter how hard we beat it.

Have a good weekend Jeremiah.

Old 09-12-2003, 04:54 PM   #64
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
Quote:
I'm sorry, I just don't see it your way.

Quote:

That is it.
Najera has been bashed to no end around here for his playing ability and raised the the status of basketball god for apparently his race cause he's not that good. I know alot of people who are fans of Najera for the sole reason of his race. Since the thread was obviously going to become a Najera bashing sesssion I just put the two together and made it "Mexican bashing". A joke, in poor taste I agree but IMO not anymore tasteless than murder and child molestor jokes.

I've heard a million Mexican and wetback jokes in my lifetime as well as deragatory statements and insults hurled at me personally and I still don't get offended. We all have different levels of tolerance around here. I've got four little cocunut kids at home and I don't get offended by pedofile or molestation jokes. Thick skin I guess.
Fair enough. Your post just re-highlights my entire problem with your comments. Racist comments may not bother you, but the persons belonging to that race PROBABLY WOULD be offended. Just keep that in mind, and your racist viewpoints to yourself.
Old 09-12-2003, 04:57 PM   #65
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Default RE: Does anyone have a problem with me on this site?

And if you really want to discuss this further, let's move it to PM's. No reason that others should have to read this.