Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 06-15-2004, 02:54 PM   #1
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute
Default Blasphemy?

We've discussed a lot of different trade scenarios in this section. I thought I'd throw one out there and see what people think...

Nowitzki for Yao Ming and cap filler.

Mavs roster:

Ming - Bradley
Walker - Fortson - Najera
Finley - Jamison
Daniels - Howard
Nash

Rockets roster:

Cato
Nowitzki - Taylor
Jackson - Griffin - Nachbar
Mobley - Piatkowski
Francis

Old 06-15-2004, 03:03 PM   #2
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice
Default RE:Blasphemy?

The ultimate mismatch vs. the next dominant big man. I think I'd do it. Give me Yao.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 03:06 PM   #3
MikeB
Golden Member

MikeB has a spectacular aura aboutMikeB has a spectacular aura about

Yeah..I'd do it.
It would be cool watching Yao jack up 3s.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 03:18 PM   #4
Jeremiah

Jeremiah will become famous soon enough

I'd do it...no, I wouldn't.

Why I'd do it:
Mavs might not get as much out of Yao since he's competing in China a lot over the summer, and I imagine contract negotiations would be difficult, but it would alleviate some of my headache. The headache of course is, though Dirk is quite the mismatch, and quite difficult to guard, as our team is presently composed, he is quite difficult to plug into our roster. If we had a post up 3/slashing 3, and a slashing 2, along with a C that could rebound, defend the post, and provide protection to Dirk, I'd keep dirk, but we don't. (could that be the Pistons minus Rashweed + Dirk?)

Why I wouldn't do it:
I like the Mavs as presently comprised, except for Walk and AJ. I like cheering for the core. Dirk is an exciting player for me to watch. I don't know about Yao in that respect. In short, I like to be comfortable. Yao is not comfortable, Dirk is.

I think both teams come out good in the end. We'd probably get to see Dirk play a lot more defense, and a lot more in the post, though, JVG couldn't be so dumb as to not let him face up, since that is his strength.
Old 06-15-2004, 03:19 PM   #5
bcrav4
Golden Member

bcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to all

lol. What's the age difference between Yao and Dirk?
"They better not put me in the All-Star Game. I won't shoot, but I'll dominate that easy game. I'll be playing hard defense. I'll be foulin'. I'll be flagrant fouling. Everyone will be like, 'What are you doing?'" -- Ron Artest.
bcrav4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 03:20 PM   #6
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

I can see Nowitzki trying to get Van Gundy's D, while Yao is trying to learn to shoot the 3 for Nellie.

I would have to think long and hard before moving Nowitzki anywhere. This might be the reason to though.

I probably wouldn't though, just because of the chemistry between Nash and Nowitzki.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 03:26 PM   #7
bigox71

bigox71 is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't do it if it meant having that lineup.

Ming - Bradley
Walker - Fortson - Najera
Finley - Jamison
Daniels - Howard
Nash

I would not ever want Walker to be a starter on this team again. BUT if you could make a trade with Walker + filler for Elton Brand + filler (Basically exchange Walker for Brand). I would definitely do that. Sign another guard for more outside shooting (maybe Brent Barry), and you have a couple low post forces surrounded by usually very good shooting.

Imagine the Mavs running out this lineup:

Ming - Bradley
Brand - Fortson - Najera
Finley - Jamison
Daniels - Howard
Nash - Barry

I would definitely want to do that.
bigox71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 03:36 PM   #8
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Blasphemy?

if this went down...(never happen) you would watch Drik become a 28 and 12 guy...and Yao will give you what he can...every other game or so...not going to do this until Yao proves consistant

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 04:34 PM   #9
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I can see Nowitzki trying to get Van Gundy's D, while Yao is trying to learn to shoot the 3 for Nellie.
Great line.

I don't think I could do it. I'd love to have Yao here, but I just couldn't do it.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 04:56 PM   #10
Stressboy

Stressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the rough

I don't do it.

Yoa is a great guy and he will make the Rockets contenders in the years to come, but he is 1 on 1 guardable and Dirk really is not when used appropriately. Yao has been known to get bothered and thrown off his game by Shawn Bradley and Najera. I think with more players like Ramos and Pavel coming into the league he will have that many more guys that will give him enough problems. He is not the next Shaq because he will never posess Shaqs strength. He is not quick enough to ever be the next Dream. Now 5 years from now, Yao might be the 7-5 version of Duncan, but right now I just don't see it.

I'm probably just being a homer, but really the only guys I would trade Dirk for right now are Garnett and Duncan.

Stressboy
Stressboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 05:21 PM   #11
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all

This is sinful talk. I am covering my ears, err' my eyes at this moment!
Old 06-15-2004, 05:31 PM   #12
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Yao would be wasted with Nellie as coach. This would be a disaster of all disaster trades if Nellie wasn't fired 1st. Last think we need is another 7'5"+ player riding the pine.

Now even if Nellie was fired, I still wouldn't do it. I have a suspicison that Yao's wheels won't hold up for many years of heavy minutes and Yao has yet to be as good as Dirk was 4 years ago.
Old 06-15-2004, 05:50 PM   #13
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Last think we need is another 7'5"+ player riding the pine.
You honestly think Nellie wouldn't give Yao playing time?
Old 06-15-2004, 05:54 PM   #14
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

This would be a tough call but in the end I'd have to do it...with the soon departure of Shaq and considering the fact that Yoa is ..what 21? 22? ..id have to do it. The rockets on the other hand...wouldn't

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 06:09 PM   #15
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
Quote:
Last think we need is another 7'5"+ player riding the pine.
You honestly think Nellie wouldn't give Yao playing time?
KG I honestly think that Nellie would give Yao PT, but not superstar or even All-Star minutes. And I could see Nellie Pulling Yao so Vlade Divac doesn't decimate the mavs. [img]i/expressions/rolleye.gif[/img] I just can't see Nellie having patience with Yao for any length of time. Think Raef but bigger and more talented. Still with Nellie asking him to play all kinds of weird lineups, going away from him for long stretches, and other lunatic tactics I can see Yao getting into the doghouse real fast unless he learns to shoot threes like they're going out of style when given half a chance. And if it's a 3 point shooting contest, I want Dirk 10 times out of 10 over Yao.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:33 PM   #16
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

*comicbook guy voice*

worst trade ever.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 01:45 PM   #17
PepperTheMavsFan41

PepperTheMavsFan41 is on a distinguished road

Houston wouldnt do it thou.
I can kill cause in god I trust.
It's EVOLUTION baby.
PepperTheMavsFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 09:04 AM   #18
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

I think on these trade threads it is always worth considering whether or not the franchises would even do the trade. So, in light of that, no way this trade goes down.

Now, having said that, let's set up the scenario that will allow this to occur:
1) Nellie gets fired and Phil Jackson or Pat Riley becomes coach, thus changing the Mav's philosophy to compliment Yao's game.
2) Van Gundy gets fired and Nellie becomes the new coach of the Rockets.

As for me, I would definitely do the trade. I love Dirk and his game, but I would rather build a team around Yao rather than Dirk right now. Now, if Dirk shows an improvement to his defense to compliment his great offense, than I will change my opinion. However, right now, Yao is the better "build-around" player.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote